ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big engined clio’s aint all that...

Just been reading the latest issue of PGTI but i cant help but feel that if clios turnt up the the 106 V saxo day they would be seriously out gunned...

here are some figures:

Fastest time was a VTS with head and cams and 50bhp nitrous: 0-60 (5.99), 0-100 (13.89)

Supercharged VTR also with 50bhp nos: 0-60 (6.09), 0-100 (13.21)

these really are scooby pounding times and even the invicible cups would of looked stupid racing these

now i know these cars are modded but dont u think u guys should start moddin ur cars too. imagine the potential if these ppl could pull of these times with mere vts/vtr and 106 that so many people from this club look down upon

come on then lets see some real quick 172 and cups

wongy

those cars have been out for years so they have had soo much time to develop the mods for them. just look at the valvers willys they can eat them thats cos they have had companys tuning them for years so they are easy to do

S2000

Its because there is no mass market recognised tuner for Clios. If someone was to bring out a performance package for the Clio, Im sure it would be snapped up. You could do it in stages, i.e. Stage 1 - exhauts, induction to Stage 3 - throttle bodies, nos etc. If you spend 2/3 grand on a Clio and did it properly, Im sure it would at least equal those times!

yeh but there aint many valvers/ willys that can pull those times are there...theres a few fast ones namely nick and adi but i struggle to more that can achieve those sort or times...

theres no mass mkt for clios cos most owners sit on the backsides and think they got the best car in the world as stnd...

if more of us experimented with things and done something with ur cars then maybe more companys would actually recognise us as a good mkt and develope stuff for u guys... but no sit on our ass and dream all day that ur cars invinciable out of the box...clearly it can be improved upon, as with all cars

maybe we are slightly more mature than the saxo boys and dont see the need to spend millions on a car modding it not saying there is anything wrong with it but there is more to life than a fast 1/4 mile time ya know

S2000

It also has to be down to the amount of VTS/VTR and GTis there are going about though. A lot of companies have noticed this growing market and exploited it. In other words they made it very easy for Johnny in his VTS to save up a grand , take it into them and come out with 30+ more brake! Its not as easy for Clio owners and there arent as many of us!

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

hardly scooby beating times m8. and ya like they say the 172 isnt as popular and hasnt bin in production as long...so were behind, give us time, get urself a grolsch. the head n cams n chip all cumn up nex month for me, then the brakes shortly after...then mayb tbs...aah another grolsch anybody?

dogmaul

well i did not mention money i mentioned speed. and if its not ur thing then thats ok with me. i was just stating that clios were represented there then we would of not done very well.

ive lost interest in my clio but hey i still want to see some fast clios putting in wicked times

the maturity thing, well going from the way some people say things on here i would not say most clios owners are mature. i would say its quite the opposite really

172 been around for 3 years now since the mk1 so its not exactly a new car it is.

teady

well if more 172/cup owners got off there backside and do things then we may get recognition. there are a few places like hill power. prima and k tec and even bb tunnin so tunners are there but its getting people to do things

hiatch

i look forward to ur car and the mods to see what it will do

waiting patiently till then to see what a mooded clios will do

not scooby chasing. 13 sec 0-100 is def a scooby chaser even a evo chaser

courtesy of EVO... P1 0-100 in 13.3

yes mate but they might not want speed not everyone does.

me personally dont see the point in spending say 20k on mods on a saxo/corsa/ whatever to make it those speeds id rather spend 6-7k on a bike engined kit car that will demolish any of those cars for a fraction of the price.

its all down to what you want if you want all this speed then fine there are many ways to make any clio that fast but if people dont want to do it they dont want to do it

im not trying to have a go mate just trying to put another side across nicks clio is fantastic and cant wait to see it running full whack at york hehe

wongy.........look at the engines.....the 106 gti/VTS engine is basic conventional engine tech nothing remotely challenging about it.

FOr most tunners that the general public use, its more fianancially stable to do what you know than dabble in things you dont, then you dont get bad press aswell.

The F4R 730 is by no means easy to play with, couple that with the annoying ECUs that they run on (not a problem if your changing the ECU) then its not really something you want to work on.

they also have the advantage of a very light flimsy body so they dont need to make much power to be able to run those times

evo seems slow compared to this cossie

Times are as follows:

0-60 in 2.89s
0-100 in 6.06s so thats 7 secs faster than an evo then
Quarter in 10.66 @ 136.95mph

sub 11 sec for 0-140mph

194.7mph! to speed

wanna see the video???

like i said its not hard to make any car fast it depends on how much money you want to spend you can make a 2cv do 10 second 1/4 miles if you want to spend lots doing it lol

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

It can be done and has been done

There is a Sunflower yellow 172 owned by Greg Morrisan with a Garret t4/3 turbo (dunno the boost) and 30kW (41bhp) NOS that is tearing up the local drag strip with sub 12 second 1/4 mile.

More importantly what times would they get without NOS?

Lets face it you cant run NOS all the time - its a bit like me doing my 0-100 downhill - Fake but still a 0-60 in 5 secs.

If you could run NOS all the time then fair enough but I get my power 24/7!

If your only ever running 1/4 miles on a drag strip then fair enough;)

nos is not fair i know but its not fake time is it?? no ones stopping us from using it...its a choice people make right... bit like which is better turbo or SC...

and no the 2 quoted above aint the only quick ones...theres also a SC vts with similar 13.?? 0-100 as well as a turbo one too...no nos there mate

yep we all no its not all about speed which if the clio 172/cup didnt have it wouldnt be half the car it is...

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

hey viceroy, can u tell us anymore bout the yellow 172 with the garret turbo? who is greg morrisan? {forgive my lack of knowledge m8}, and hey...whoever heard of a standard scooby? :oops:

Elise/VX220/R26

The thing with these superchartged this and nos that saxos or whatever is that yeah sure they are dragway gods but what happens after the 8 hours a month you spend racing? Your left with an unreliable car that does 12MPG. I get 0-60 in 7 secs and 30 odd mpg all the time. Two different kettles of fish really.

Try putting these cars up against the race prepared audi like the one that was at york today. It would totally embarrass these chaps bolting turbos to their 1.6 lumps.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

Mines a supercharged VTS, which I use to commute to work everyday. Have done since, even while it was being supercharged. Things about it piss me off, such as heavy clutch, stiff vibraty engine mounts etc, but it is running 12 seconds dead 0-100 and 5.3 seconds to 60 according to racelogic timing box, depending on weather.

I want the refinement and luxuries of a 172, but If I succeded and put the charger in the 172, would I be getting as good times, due to the weight, and where would I turn if something went wrong with it.

I missed the bruntingthorpe thrash, due to standard clutch melting, and having to thwack in an AP one, but I would have loved to have gone and shown My handywork off.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

Oh, and I get between 250 and 300Miles to a tank, and I doubt those lardy Audis would stand a chance really

williams and trophy

yeah but unfortunately i think the audi went the same way as many modified cars and promptly left its gearbox on the strip.............as did tim os bro in his cup..........not a very nice sight

btw mate hope u got home ok

williams and trophy

unfortunately he was racing me at the time

these new cars cant seem to take the hammer the old uns can

but it is running 12 seconds dead 0-100 and 5.3 seconds to 60 according to racelogic timing box, depending on weather

Now thats impressive! what power have you got? should your 0-60 not be a tad lower!

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

The 0-60 is a tricky business with wheelspin and controlling the heavy clutch, once its rolling in second/third/fourth/fifth though its lethal.

For the 0-100 I start in second and hop from third to fourth at about 6500RPM, as third only gives me 93MPH, and power starts dropping off at around 6500RPM.

for the 0-60, I stay in second to the limiter.

Its a bit mean on the car, but it has a lot of torque, due to high compression ratio.

Ive not been on the rollers, as theres none near me, and Ive done all the work myself, but based on all my factors, the power should be about 250BHP at the flywheel. Peak boost is 1.1 bar, but the most I see, during normal driving is about 0.8 bar.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Perhaps as well as how quickly Saxos, etc will reach 60mph you should think about the safety and strength of these Saxos in a crash! If you watched Top Gear tonight you will have seen that a Saxo was given only 2 stars in the Euro tests, and will not protect you in a crash. At least the 172 has more stars and would hold together better if crashed.

Did you see what happened to the Defender? It was terrible for a vehicle of that size, even the roof and corner ares buckled and the cabin was pushed in, the doors wouldnt open and the pedals and steering wheel were pushed inwards.

Compare that to the new Megane with its eight air bags etc the door still opened OK nothing had moved inside and its passengers would be well protected. I dont like the Megane but the safety must be a factor where there are young children.

Its has an airbag - what more do you want?:D All my Willie has is a padded bit in the middle of the steering wheel LOL very 80s!! You women are all the same, it does 0-100 in 12secs who cares if its made of tin?;) Just dont crash!

well i saw a stripped out 1.3 polo that did 0-60 in 7.3 sec but only did 105 top end.if a 1.3 can do 7.3 then a 1.8 16v will kill that just strip it out and give it nos.aint very convienient tho is it.speed aint everything.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

Speed aint everything, and if you bother to go to the euroncap website, you will notice that the last test they did on a saxo was in 1997, on a 1.1i:eek:

Since then with the Mk2 saxos, they introduced a lot of crumple zones, and the VTS has four airbags, one in the dash one in the steering wheel and two latteral in the front seats.

The GTI mag article was a shootout between saxos and 106s so its not that surprising no clios were in the lead!??!

However a few pages earlier there rattling on about renault ruling the roost with the RRday, and thats with GTturbos, Theres absolutely millions of saxos and 106s on the road but alos quite a few bloody fast clios. Its certainly alot easier to get aload of modded saxos together for a test then clios.

Its quite entertaining reading the racing forum, but nows its my cars safer in a crash then your car...

Those test are fine if you hit a deformable concrete block at 40mph or whatever it is, who had ever done that then????

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

I had a clio and loved it, but its right what people are saying, that nobody has had the balls to do a turbo kit for the 172 yet. If evos and scoobies can get 500BHP from a two litre, surely a 172 could acchive the same, specially as it has VVT, etc that scoobies dont

Quote: Originally posted by wongy008 on 22 June 2003

Just been reading the latest issue of PGTI but i cant help but feel that if clios turnt up the the 106 V saxo day they would be seriously out gunned...

here are some figures:

Fastest time was a VTS with head and cams and 50bhp nitrous: 0-60 (5.99), 0-100 (13.89)

Supercharged VTR also with 50bhp nos: 0-60 (6.09), 0-100 (13.21)

these really are scooby pounding times and even the invicible cups would of looked stupid racing these

Right add head work, cams, exhaust chip and 50 hp NOS to a Cup and what do you think would happen? Very strange post this one what are you trying to say that a highly modded VTS can beat a standard Cup.... NO SH[T

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

I think whats being asked is "Why has nobody done the above to a clio??"

If I had the time or cash, Id sell the VTS as standard, and buy 172 and make the supercharger fit, but I dont think there would be room, so untill someone convinces me I aint even giving it a second thought.