ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Saw your tweet yesterday and couldn't believe it (again). So frustrating! Hope you manage to at least have some fun for the rest of your time there!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

I guess over time it will become apparent what spares you need to carry as you find what bits the car regularly kills, wouldn't have expected coilovers do soon though.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

bad times, but its almost sorted... good times
take the anger out on track today

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Hows it going today then? Am not on twitter so not seen any updates.

182cup & 172 racecar

Race was Saturday boy's lol.

We all finished without a scratch. :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Ah sweet, how did you all get on? got a link to the laptimes and placings etc?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Bet James is pleased at being quicker than the 197 in his class :)

Where you didnt finish quite as well as last time, is that just because your car isnt as suited to anglesey and you expected that, or was it just others had a better day than you did?

Clio 172

James with a 10th place (in class) superb stuff.

So if the Integra won again what is their time penalty now?

182cup & 172 racecar

Thanks for all the comments! Had a great weekend out of the car, tough time with and in the car but learnt a lot not just about the car but about racing in general so overall pretty happy! Looking forward to getting the car all fixed up and get me upto speed ready for the next one. Will be a few days before the full write up with video's, pictures etc as already started work on the car while its all fresh in my mind :)

Thanks for all the support :)

James

Awwww man. Not another one :(

Gutted for you mate. If it makes you feel any better it looks like Anglesey killed a bearing in my bilsteins too. The track must hate Clio owners lol
When's your next one? I treated myself to some new lenses last week. If I can I'll come and take some pics and offer some moral support lol

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio

Gutted bud hope things get sorted;)

Haha I know Phil :( It's also done both side's on the H+R's I ran in the race, I could feel them starting to go in Quali but the play was very slight so we still raced half way through the race though they were getting pretty bad!

I don't know to be fair, KW are going to send out new front coilovers but I am going to swap to a setup with full rear coil overs as we have already got the rear's on the lowest with no platform and now lack the flexibility. Speaking with a few places this week and will see what the timescales are then go from there also got to look at money and if we can get the car working well and reliably then I would happily miss a race! Need to get the time in the car instead of pissing money up the wall on track time and then not been able to use the car! Would be better to spend the money on getting the car right but it shouldn't need it!

Very nice mate :) Well I am supposed to be testing at Mallory in the middle of August but will then have to see about the race! Getting a pretty big list of job's to sort out on the car which are taking a priority over getting the car out unfortunately at the moment :(

Seems bad news all round James - though race was good though? Nice result.

What is it doing to the coil overs that gives them play?

i saw on Als (rice) facebook that he was putting in the miles towing your car about fella...

on a side note, it was only after i saw the timing/results today that i realiced you race with a friend of mine, Mike Nash in the blue 106, i know its no concelation but dont just feel its you having issues, he`s on his 4th gearbox now iirc in as many months......

on a side note, it was only after i saw the timing/results today that i realiced you race with a friend of mine, Mike Nash in the blue 106, i know its no concelation but dont just feel its you having issues, he`s on his 4th gearbox now iirc in as many months......

This the one? http://www.106maxi.co.uk/index.html Have read about his gearbox issues if so, not good details are on the downloads tab if anyone wants to see.

Seems bad news all round James - though race was good though? Nice result.

What is it doing to the coil overs that gives them play?
I don't know really mate :( I made quite a few mistakes but was pushing the car as hard as I could to try and get some decent pace! Let myself down in a few places but good learning experience :) Didn't really enjoy driving the car as it wasn't setup but just didn't have the time/facilities to do so on the replacement suspension! Still very lucky to get back out though and am very grateful of that :)! Had a fun weekend overall though and Anglesey is always a great place to be

I think the valving adjustment has failed after Llandow as when I drove the car at Donington with the harder springs I came back and said it felt softer, I also did the same at Anglesey and then this could have caused the bearing failure! When we took the strut out there were bits rattling around in it :S The failure of the H+R's I think are because we ran the hard springs even though they were valved for the roads!
i saw on Als (rice) facebook that he was putting in the miles towing your car about fella...

Yeah he was a saint the whole weekend and he knows how much I appreciate all the hard work he puts in :)!

Ahh yes quick little car :) Shame about the gearboxes, not good :(

Evo 5 RS

I don't know really mate :( I made quite a few mistakes but was pushing the car as hard as I could to try and get some decent pace! Let myself down in a few places but good learning experience :) Didn't really enjoy driving the car as it wasn't setup but just didn't have the time/facilities to do so on the replacement suspension! Still very lucky to get back out though and am very grateful of that :)! Had a fun weekend overall though and Anglesey is always a great place to be

I think the valving adjustment has failed after Llandow as when I drove the car at Donington with the harder springs I came back and said it felt softer, I also did the same at Anglesey and then this could have caused the bearing failure! When we took the strut out there were bits rattling around in it :S The failure of the H+R's I think are because we ran the hard springs even though they were valved for the roads!

Yeah he was a saint the whole weekend and he knows how much I appreciate all the hard work he puts in :)!

Ahh yes quick little car :) Shame about the gearboxes, not good :(

Such a shitter about the suspension :( As you say though mate you managed to get back out there which is what matters!

Alan is supposed to be picking my car up on Wednesday, I might tell him to leave it a few days by the sound of it LOL. TDF <3

It's a bit weird as the bearings are shot on mine after only half a dozen days on track and virtually no road use - maybe a weak point in the coilovers
If you make it to mallory I'll definitely pop down

Yeah I couldn't really believe it to be fair :( I think it's a good suspicion kit for road and track days just not far a race car, I have been pounding the car recently and it obviously hasn't enjoyed it lol!

Haha lol! I hope your car's okay?!

It's a bit weird as the bearings are shot on mine after only half a dozen days on track and virtually no road use - maybe a weak point in the coilovers
If you make it to mallory I'll definitely pop down
Yeah definitely mate! Not sure what suspension to go with now as don't really want to be changing it but it is probably worth doing that and a couple of other small changes to the car to get it working a bit better! Starting to built up a list of spares and it's getting silly lol!

Thanks mate would be good to see you :)

Evo 5 RS

Yeah I couldn't really believe it to be fair :( I think it's a good suspicion kit for road and track days just not far a race car, I have been pounding the car recently and it obviously hasn't enjoyed it lol!

Haha lol! I hope your car's okay?!

That at me? lol :eek:

Suspension woes here too lol. Although my gear was second hand

Clio 172

You running KW's now James? They are supposed to be guaranteed for life?

Evo 5 RS

Not on track I'd imagine. Pretty sure if you complain to kw about it they'll tell you they're not designed for track use lol.

Always have been Andy, I didn't realise that! They will sort them this time it sounds like but not sure about in future. I will get the new set and sell while they are good :)
Not on track I'd imagine. Pretty sure if you complain to kw about it they'll tell you they're not designed for track use lol.
YEs I think this would be the case but seen as how they have done such little use then not sure there is much for them to say lol!
sounds about right, well from the KW UK guys anyways
Haha lol should I be expecting a fight with them lol?!

BMW Z4

Get the KW repaired, hmm like I had too with mine and then sack them off. The KW's are not for racing, at least not V2s anyways. Had no issues with my AST's apart from how difficult they are to get hold of.

AST's are indeed for the win. Have a set of Sportline 1's built to the Burpspeed setup and they're awesome.

James - Get some AST sportline 2's mate like Pete and Sam have on their car, should do you perfectly I'd of thought even if you do go to the endurance side of things.

possibly, is the problem with your KW's then?
sorry i didn't follow, (we need to talk this week, ffs....lol)
Yes the bearing in the top of the strut has failed and also the valving adjustment has failed :( Haha no worries mate :)
Get the KW repaired, hmm like I had too with mine and then sack them off. The KW's are not for racing, at least not V2s anyways. Had no issues with my AST's apart from how difficult they are to get hold of.
Yeah I fully agree Mark :( They are great for the road/ occasional track but unfortunately at the moment they are way off the right ballpark with springs/damping and adjustment :(

Yes heard that about the AST's, I am waiting for a reply from another company and if no good comes of that then it will be the AST's I think! Just need to hope they can supply them in time!
AST's FTW
Yeah I must admit I should of gone with them from the start but I did think these work work but unfortunately not :(
AST's are indeed for the win. Have a set of Sportline 1's built to the Burpspeed setup and they're awesome.

James - Get some AST sportline 2's mate like Pete and Sam have on their car, should do you perfectly I'd of thought even if you do go to the endurance side of things.
Hey Nick hope you got back okay the other day :) Great to see you and thanks for your very kind offer the other day!

Yes if this email I have sent to another manufacturer doesn't come off then I will go with the AST's I think! Need to rob a bank lol!

If KW actually try to give you the "not for track use" line after they were built to a custom track spec - they need a slap lol