ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

with regards to the nutsert tool, we use a WURTH brand 1 and its very very good, but its not cheap... silverline and Teng iirc both do a plier type unit and they`re ok, but struggle when you start using stainless inserts bigger than M6..

with regards to the actual insert... i`d avoid ally tbh.. stick with either mild or stainless as you can get them to pull up on the metal tight without stripping the threads..

also, try to get the inserts with a splined surface rather than a smooth outer as this will help them grip the metal... trust me, the first time you go to undo a bolt and the actual insert just spins in the shell you`ll wat to throw the tool across the workshop...

stu xx

with regards to the nutsert tool, we use a WURTH brand 1 and its very very good, but its not cheap... silverline and Teng iirc both do a plier type unit and they`re ok, but struggle when you start using stainless inserts bigger than M6..

with regards to the actual insert... i`d avoid ally tbh.. stick with either mild or stainless as you can get them to pull up on the metal tight without stripping the threads..

also, try to get the inserts with a splined surface rather than a smooth outer as this will help them grip the metal... trust me, the first time you go to undo a bolt and the actual insert just spins in the shell you`ll wat to throw the tool across the workshop...

stu xx
Hi Stu, hope you are well!

Just had a google and can't find anyone who sells them but I will have a call round tomorrow and see what the price is :)

Haha yes I had that frustration the other day on an earth connection on the car it was infuriating, just kept spinning lol I ended up yanking it through the panel! I will look out for those then thanks for the advice :)

Lotus Elise
Ash, I haven't read your thread much lately so please ignore me if I'm talking b****cks but I found a very good book called 'Competition Car Electrics'. Worth a read if you are building your own loom.

Thats a ridiculous thing to say!!!!!
What do you know about whos past? Really....?

You dont blag your way that far up the "motorsport" world by knowing nothing. Iirc matt worked for cosworth and prodrive, im pretty sure you dont blag your way through an interview there..

I'm sorry that came across wrong - I didn't mean he has no knowledge, I meant that the way people big him up as being an absolute expert with Clio's is a bit ermmm weird - yes he worked for cosworth and prodrive and omex in the past - but that makes him no more of a clio expert than the next man.

Also it's pretty easy to blag your way up to any level of motorsport to be honest, and it can be done without ripping people off on the way.

Hey ho. I just want to see this thing out dominating next year just like it should have been this year :)

Ash, I haven't read your thread much lately so please ignore me if I'm talking b****cks but I found a very good book called 'Competition Car Electrics'. Worth a read if you are building your own loom.
Not at all mate :) Thanks for that I will have a read, I don't think i'm going to do it myself but would still like to learn about it!

I'm sure i'll see you in the next weeks at BTM anyway! Hope you and Zoltan have been having fun without the boss ;)
I know you've thought about doing it already but a thread about your TDF problems would take the chaff away from your project thread mate
Yeah I had thought about it but not sure if I will now. I can't really keep going on about it, It may well still end up in court so discussing on here won't help anyone, me included!

Hey ho. I just want to see this thing out dominating next year just like it should have been this year :)
Haha thanks mate :) Will be trying my best as ever!

As I say above, I think I had best stop mentioning TDF and if we can please stop discussing it on here I would really appreciate it. I have found out a few things today and am now reconsidering taking legal action so I will refrain from commenting on anything but I will keep updating the thread with details about the car obviously as I am still making decent progress with the shell :)

Thanks for understanding and also thanks to so many different people from the forum who have been helping me out recently and offering their help with various things I really appreciate it all :)!

James

Qashcow
^bad times then. Hope things eventually solve themselves. I'm also off to court soon, it's an easier process than I thought it would be...

Enough of the usual company slating, back to the 'let's build a race car' thread. Simples x

RS2'd Trophy
James, I hope your well chap!

You are possibly the most patient person I have ever met and im sure you will get it working and better than originally anticipated!

I WILL make sure I get time to come and see it next year!

Good Luck with the loom, one word of advice from when we stripped/ rebuilt mine in the saxo is make sure you dont skimp on any connections/ wrapping for the loom.

I went for a bulkhead connector aswell on mine which made life much more simple keeping the ECU inside of the car.

Mili Spec bulkhead connectors, Raychem wire sheaths/ shrinks etc.

These guys are in america but it maybe worth having a word with them as they maybe able to sort you some parts shipped here. There quality is second to none and well established, especially in the honda scene.

http://www.rywire.com/catalog/index.php

Food for thought anyway.

James

let me know when your next at btm, i'll come down with you. make a night of it and have a beer!

and make fred fit my driveshafts, cough.

Qashcow
£4k on wedding catering, 90x BurgerKing whopper's would have been a safer bet! I mean, seriously, how hard is it to cook a new potato?

Cost more than a race loom, probably equally as edible!! ;)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Hmmm so this car is a bit of a showcase for the company yet the workmanship is poor , yes thats a good advert for the company , knowing full well its a thread on here also with lots of clio owners viewing

I'm just gobsmacked that with what you said and it was Matt that started the thread. :S

You are possibly the most patient person I have ever met and im sure you will get it working and better than originally anticipated!

Good Luck with the loom, one word of advice from when we stripped/ rebuilt mine in the saxo is make sure you dont skimp on any connections/ wrapping for the loom.

I went for a bulkhead connector aswell on mine which made life much more simple keeping the ECU inside of the car.

Mili Spec bulkhead connectors, Raychem wire sheaths/ shrinks etc.

These guys are in america but it maybe worth having a word with them as they maybe able to sort you some parts shipped here. There quality is second to none and well established, especially in the honda scene.

http://www.rywire.com/catalog/index.php

Food for thought anyway.

James
Hi mate, Yes would be great to see you at a race next year :) Yes it does seem like something not to scimp on but it gets mega expensive very quickly :( Yes mine will have a bulkhead connector and I have am planning to do lot's of things on the re-build to ensure it can all come apart quickly and easily!

Thanks for the link James I will go and have a look now :)
let me know when your next at btm, i'll come down with you. make a night of it and have a beer!

and make fred fit my driveshafts, cough.
Sounds like a great plan Naith :) Join the queue with a list of required work ;)

I'm going to try and persuade him to do my welding/fabrication... wish me luck lol maybe I will try Zoltan or can Sam weld too?!
£4k on wedding catering, 90x BurgerKing whopper's would have been a safer bet! I mean, seriously, how hard is it to cook a new potato?

Ohhh dear that is crazy! Exactly even I can cook a new potato and I'm shocking at cooking

Hahaa PMSL! I can send you a sample of loom to taste if it will help your case lol ;)

182cup & 172 racecar

You're right, thank goodness for the Pig Roast man.;)

James - jump in with me mate, I won't be able to race in the Tin Tops next year so I'm gonna go and watch them all and become the official FF-Racing/Burpspeed photagrapher/cheering squad lol

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Should have an update soooon :) I'm sat in the shell as I write this!

i did write something else, but then noticed i was reading the wrong page and it was no longer appropriate, but still....

awesome news on the update,
bit cheesed you have almost stripped it back to the state that mine is currently in...
think i will actually send mine up to you to rebuild....lol

i did write something else, but then noticed i was reading the wrong page and it was no longer appropriate, but still....

awesome news on the update,
bit cheesed you have almost stripped it back to the state that mine is currently in...
think i will actually send mine up to you to rebuild....lol
Sorry yeah thought I'd best move on and change subject :)

Haha sorry, the only thing left in mine is the handbrake mech, pedal box and the bare rear beam! All three should be out by tomorrow. Progress is going to be slow until I find someone to do all the welding as can't get it painted till then :(

Do it ;) I'm really enjoying it! (apart from the brake fluid that just dripped in my eye :()

Evo 5 RS
I did that with rust sealer once, I got up from the floor yelling and ran inside quicker than a bat out of hell lol. Neighbour thought I was dying

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Sorry yeah thought I'd best move on and change subject :)

Haha sorry, the only thing left in mine is the handbrake mech, pedal box and the bare rear beam! All three should be out by tomorrow. Progress is going to be slow until I find someone to do all the welding as can't get it painted till then :(

Do it ;) I'm really enjoying it! (apart from the brake fluid that just dripped in my eye :()

what welding needs doing exactly?