ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

I hate to say it - but if you're dipping it to try and get the weight of the shell down - I think I'd do the cheaper option and have some of the excessive roll cage removed instead :)

I'm thinking the same as Ryan, if someone brakes a bit late and turns your shell into a banana that dipping will be money down the pan :(

you could get a sequential gear box for about 5k and then come and run in the eurosaloons, thats a very good championship with about 8 or 9 ex clio cup cars all same spec so you get proper good close races.

my car is being rebuilt to be same power/weight as the new cup racers with a little more hp as the new 1's are better in some areas.

all the eurosaloon races are double headers over a weekend with friday testing, its a hoot.

not that the tin tops isn't good, from looking on here its pretty good. its simply a case of different spec/power/weight cars, so if you can afford the best car and can pedal ok, you have a good chance of doing well.
Changing series will happen at some point in the future could be one year away or 5 but for now I will be racing in the Tintops :) That does sound like a good weekend though and something I might look to in the future!
While James clearly ISNT a complete moron, he does like to act like one when it comes to pointlessly holding onto his car and throwing good money after bad, so I doubt you'll see him getting rid of it just yet even if it makes good sense to do so, lol
Haha pmsl! You are right Chip it's not going anywhere :rasp:
Glad to see this being resurrected so thoroughly - but it really only needed a new bottom end ..... ;)
Thanks Darren! Haha that is true but always good to tweek :)
Sometimes Colin, you have to strong and just say no, I'm not spending that, and that's it.
Tis very true Tony!

182cup & 172 racecar
Got a lot of things I'd love to do to the race car over winter, but if I do, I wouldn't be able to race next year.

Say No.

TrackCar & F30 330d
So Ash what have you decided to do now? To dip or not to dip? I just thought if you wanted to get rid of the sealer underneath the car then just get one of those flapper discs on a angle grinder and remove it all that way! Thats where most of the weight will be lost!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I have one in my Clio and in my Westy. Neither make a noise?!?!?

The gripper certainly did on the gearbox fluid jamsport put in there, much much less so now its on the right fluid though, only does it at all now really on lots of lock and even then its slight.

Yours isnt set particularly aggressively though, with more pre-load they get noisier.

So Ash what have you decided to do now? To dip or not to dip? I just thought if you wanted to get rid of the sealer underneath the car then just get one of those flapper discs on a angle grinder and remove it all that way! Thats where most of the weight will be lost!
For quite possibly the first time in my life i've had my mind changed ;) Not going to dip it no, Might get something onto the underside or just leave it will have a think :)

Yes, Gripper diff, Gripper crown wheel and Gripper pinion.
It should be noted that the cwp's for the 106 are manufactured by a different company than those for the Clio.
The latest 106 ones are coming from the 'Clio' manufacturers, which WILL be a lot better.

Certainly couldn't be doing with that! What is the cause of the failures Mike? Certainly didn't realise they were that much of an advantage over an ATB! I thought a tenth a lap maybe although Simon was pushing for me to swap it for a gripper

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I find the couple of second a bit hard to believe as well, maybe its just a case though of it much better suits your particular driving style :)

Cup In bits
Yes, Gripper diff, Gripper crown wheel and Gripper pinion.
It should be noted that the cwp's for the 106 are manufactured by a different company than those for the Clio.
The latest 106 ones are coming from the 'Clio' manufacturers, which WILL be a lot better.

Good news, to hell with doing a FD as a serviceable item.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
What ratio was the FD that failed?

When I first contacted Gripper, they said there was a limit to how low a ratio you can go to before the size of the pinion gets too small and potentially weak.

The first one was a 5.1 (13/67), the next two were 4.9's (13/64).

Also, and this is very important, the service I have had from Gripper has been phenomonal. I couldn't have asked for more in respect of customer service.
I know the product has been faulty, and so do they. But they could quite easily have told me to nob off, or tried to get out of warranty claims but they haven't. They have taken it on the chin and dealt with me in a way that I have never experienced within motorsport.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yeah, they're a really good bunch, as you say, it's not often you come across service like that nowadays, yet alone in motorsport

some say his love for red wine was rivalled only by Keith Floyd.. and his scrotum is made from nomex....

all we know is, he`s called Mike - the gripper slayer!!!

lol... i havent` any personal experience of the units but in building my 106 ive been helped a lot by Nick at a company called shenpar, (very very helpful!) and in his exact words..

"the quaife is ok, but its a girls diff... real men run a plate unit!!"

never has his advice been wrong or misleading on that basis alone, gripper the sucker!!

ps Hi mike - luv ya, Stu haha

some say his love for red wine was rivalled only by Keith Floyd.. and his scrotum is made from nomex....

all we know is, he`s called Mike - the gripper slayer!!!

Brilliant!

Morale of the story Jamie.........get a plate diff ;-)

Dates are out for next season!

March 26th Snetterton - Test Day
April 13th/14th Snetterton (300/200)
May 6th Brands Hatch (Indy)
June 2nd Anglesey (Coastal)
June 14th/15th/16th Spa Franchorchamps
June 29th/30th Cadwell Park (Full)

July 13th/14th Castle Combe
August 3rd/4th Pembrey
August 24th/25th Donington Park (National)
September 21st Oulton Park (International)

October 19th Snetterton (200)

Will be definitely doing Brands, Anglesey, Cadwell, Donington and Oulton

Maybe do Spa and then not too sure about the others!

Can't wait for next season

Just had to do one of the most depressing tasks of the year! Realised this morning some robbing fraud has been using my bank details online and i’m missing some money from one of my accounts. The bank asked me to check all my accounts with them and this led me going through my “clio account” It was shocking to see everything when I went back through it lol and so depressing. The funniest bit though was the week I was down at BTM sorting the car out and I had 13 transactions from mcdonalds got to feed the troops :)

Lotus Elise
Just had to do one of the most depressing tasks of the year! Realised this morning some robbing fraud has been using my bank details online and i’m missing some money from one of my accounts. The bank asked me to check all my accounts with them and this led me going through my “clio account” It was shocking to see everything when I went back through it lol and so depressing. The funniest bit though was the week I was down at BTM sorting the car out and I had 13 transactions from mcdonalds got to feed the troops :)

HAHAHA Fred loves a McChicken sandwich.