ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW inside.

E36 328i
Went to Prept on Wednesday, first time ever been to a car meet - not sure if its something I'd do again but there was some really nice stuff on display. If anyone is interested the set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pokeorchoke/sets/72157635282202456/

Here it is at Brands:

9616645643_15433875f4.jpg

IMG_6464 by matt_13289, on Flickr

Also sourced an LSD:

9628588085_ea2cbc22a6.jpg

Untitled by matt_13289, on Flickr

There is a place in Bexleyheath do refurbs called JW Transmissions. I know there are a few Kent/London members on here, if anyone has experience with them (good or bad) let me know. Hopefully Rob sees this as he is in pissing distance.

E36 328i
Whiteley, replied to your PM.

This thing is still f'ing great fun. I have discovered wood trim under the tacky carbon wrap so that's next on the list to swap out. MOT has been and it passed after 2 front brake hoses. It overheated slightly (never went to red) the day before, this was due to a burst heater matrix pipe, right under the intake manifold!! Only advisory is a small leak from the exhaust, I am looking to change/modify it anyway. I want the central locking to work, but I think the alarm unit is fked. I am going to put it into an auto electrician as I have played around with it with no luck.

Wheel refurb next! I need a cheap set while they are in, if anyone knows of any let me know. I have no recent pics as it is minging at the moment. Here's one from the last time I took the camera out

9558868876_6177cdec11.jpg

IMG_6373 by matt_13289, on Flickr

I've had major issues with alarm/central locking on mine, ended up disabling it for now. The loom on the bootlid (where it comes out of the chassis and round the hinge into the lid) is a common problem (was actually a recall) and 5 of the wires inside the sleeve were completely broken on mine. Probably from how much opening and closing the boot has had in its life. The wires short together when they break and end up either blowing fuses or shorting the central locking module... unfortunately mine was the latter, as no matter how many times I replace the fuse it shorts again and blows after about an hour. Worth checking that wiring for peace of mind!

E36 328i
Started the refurb on my spare today. I picked up some cheap alloys today so depending how the spare turns out, I may do all of them myself.

Here's where I got to -

10044992015_2bfc203656.jpg

Pretty certain that I'll do the centres myself no issue. I'd like to get the lips diamond cut but as they have nicks in them, I'm not sure if this is possible. Does anyone know how this works? The scratches aren't deep, can they be metal filled and then cut?

E36 328i
Tackled more of the wood trim today. I got a replacement through eBay which turned out to have 2 holes from a previous fixture but at least the wood is gone.

Progress shots:

10331279254_db44780416.jpg

Surprisingly easy once you get going

10331289516_97e728a69d.jpg

Found these hidden away under the centre console, it must have been removed before and the lights weren't put back properly. The bulbs are mood lights for the ashtrays that I now use as coin trays.

10331276955_9d99ff85b7.jpg

Old piece out...

10331256104_2ca31b6177.jpg

New piece in! Almost finished.

10331496883_d383d6f85b.jpg

Sorted! The wooden handbrake handle is glued on tight, no matter how much heat or force I applied. I tried to cut it off but my dremel-like tool died. Don't buy Machine Mart's own (Clarke) dremels, they are terrible! I had it a week and it was next to useless - now completely.

As for the progress on the car - I have a Z3M shifter rod ready to go on as it improves the throw and general gear change feel. I also have rear quarter glass seals as they are minging, one is also slightly leaking. A Mahle fuel filter turned up this week too as I have no idea how old the current one is.

The list continually grows, but this is half the fun! The passenger seatbelt seems to have forgotten how to retract, so its another visit to the breakers for me.

Next month will involve sorting the aircon (I know its getting colder but helps with the quick clear screen) and FINALLY sorting the alarm, I hope.

E36 328i
Haha, I get a lot of s**t for getting rid of the wood but I hate it! Has to go.

I'd love some vaders, but they are on the bottom of the list unfortunately. Very expensive and I have a million and one other things planned first.

E36 328i
The wood is no more! Finally got rid of it all, last addition was the handbrake cover:

10574720044_65149bdce5.jpg

In other news, its been a bit of a needy f**ker of late. It keeps whining that it needs coolant so the engine is either using it slowly or I've got a small leak.

The undertray decided that it didn't want to be part of the car anymore and fell off on one side at 1am in the torrential rain. I had no option but to drive it home, dragging it all the way. Ripped the front off and found that most of the plastics underneath have seen better days.

10780332074_52ffaaa249.jpg

I have no undertray or brake ducts now and unless they are majorly important, that's the way it'll stay.

Replaced the mouldy and leaking window seals, gave it a wash:

10574710194_582f2f4826.jpg

Decided to debadge:

10574695564_936db5ecd7.jpg

After:

10574660276_c868a45bf4.jpg

Unsure as of yet but easily put back. New fuel filter and Z3M shifter have been fitted - shifter is a great improvement!

The rear brake pads are almost finished as the wear sensor warning light is on so I have new Brembo replacements. Discs have seen better days so Brembo replacements arrived yesterday, I'll be putting them on tomorrow. I am going to refresh the front with new discs and DS2500 pads on payday. This has unfortunately delayed the new alarm but that's how it goes sometimes.

Still love the car, even though it can be a pain in the arse!

E36 328i
And this is about as far as I have gotten, apart from a bit of progress with the spare wheel:

12039995053_309f70b4b3.jpg

Not finished by any means. I have a full set of 15's with winter tyres so I will start on the rest when I can be arsed to put these on. My neighbour knows someone with a blasting cabinet so hoping to get the powder coat off the centres soon as possible and start polishing the lips.

The last update was in Autumn, the car is currently minging from driving about 1000 miles over xmas and new year through some real grim weather. I have been quite childish with the diff too. The boot was full of water until I replaced the seal - it looks like its been leaking for a while though as there is some surface rust to sort in the wheel well.

Issues are always mounting up, but I like organising/prioritising things so its great for my OCD.

-Alarm/remote central locking needs sorting as opening with the key is getting boring. I am going to put in a toad Ai606 in, just need to find someone I trust to do it.
-It's loosing coolant. Either using it or leaking, I'm pretty confident that it's just leaking.
-Engine/gearbox mounts have been purchased and are ready to be fitted - just waiting on the use of a pit.
-Water pump, t/stat, alloy t/stat housing. viscous fan all ready to go on as the cooling on 36's are quite weak and no history of them being changed.
-Clips on the headlights that hold in the indicators in have broken so I've got replacements for both sides. Going to get hold of some ambers to see what I think.
-I need to underseal (bit late I know)
-Larger throttle body with the M50 manifold with a remap. I've been told the engines respond well to induction kits but I am unsure.

There we have it! It's a big list but I'll be keeping the car for a while yet.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'm flogging a pair of RC041s on ebay that don't need refurbing. Not diamond cut tho!

Santorini is a super nice colour. Think you need the M3 propshaft for the LSD?

E36 328i
I'm really enjoying refurbing them or I might have taken you up on the offer! Luckily the input shaft on the diff was already swapped over so it's a straight bolt on.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Sweet. It's on now? To be honest I had it all planned out, M50 inlet, M3 LSD, remap, Dave F style induction kit and stainless exhaust.

But think I'm gonna just leave it as is - maybe just a more burbly backbox and I've already got the Dave F style kit on. Might do the ASC delete and CDV removal, but is the LSD a bit overkill for me as a daily (sort of) driver? No way am I tracking it and wrecking it.

E36 328i
Danith yeah the diff is on. Hasn't been on long but is quite subtle. Different ratio's affect the motorway RPM's but it's really not that noticeable. Obviously great fun though!

I still want to do the M50, BBTB and remap but I don't think I will go down the induction kit route. Last thing I want to do is be BWARP'ing about everywhere as there is a very fine line between these cars looking/sounding good and chavvy.

I've never seen one in this colour before, it looks awesome!!

I'd perhaps add a couple of little things to the list, straighten the exhaust tail pipes as they don't look level (unless that's normal?) get some leather rejuvenate on the seats too.

I really like it though!

E36 328i
I've cleaned up the leather since but I think you're right about the exhaust - when I get it over a pit I'll have a good look around. Cheers!

E36 328i
Dr Leather wipes, they are good but the smell of them stays for ages! Never bothered with conditioners really though.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Amber front corners are definitely the way forward, I'm gonna get some for mine. How much chum? Euro car parts sell em for like £15 a pair but are they crap?! If you sell em give me a toot!

Also, noticed your headlights are misting up? Mine were doing that and all I did was loosen the cap at the back of the main beam and they've sorted themselves out.

E36 328i
These are genuine ones off of a coupe, got the lot with pre facelift side repeaters that don't fit for £30.

Did you take it off completely or just popped the clips off?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Sorry mate no idea. I bought mine with the clears. Only thing I changed on my last one was the black kidney grille too.

Took my Dave F kit off aswell now. Got a panel filter in the debaffled original box.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Looks great with Ambers mate, I fitted some to mine too last weekend.

Me and my mate were looking at your thread on BMWowner last night. I had to show him the perfect stance lol. Can't wait to get mine sitting the same!

E36 328i
Wheel refurb has started to pick up pace. Split the rears tonight and got the centre caps ready for paint. The spare is with my neighbour's friend who has a blasting cabinet and the rears will go over this week I hope.

Take one wheel:

12465123855_dd0279ca3f.jpg

Remove nuts:

12465092995_ab7fa4cd2c.jpg

They all came quite easily apart from this f**ker, smaller socket and lots of mallet later:

12465074595_6e02a04037.jpg

Knock out the bolts and give the centre a few good smacks with the rubber mallet:

12465577644_4d0718b93c.jpg

I'm going to polish the lips and paint the centres myself.

The car is running well again after a bad misfire which turned out to be a dirty MAF. Read the error codes and one of them was Vanos failure. Not a big problem, I've got the seals on order and will sort it out eventually.

Thanks to Jord for the info, he's an encyclopedia!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
What spacers are those again? I'm gonna get some for mine.

The plot thickens too! Seems mine is on JOM's!

E36 328i
15mm mate. I really need to look how they've held up over winter, haven't fallen apart yet!

Got quite a few parts ready to tackle the Vanos change, just need the locking tools now. Did an oil change on Sunday and replaced an o2 sensor that was making the car run funny.

12728866615_98eeb95dcd.jpg

Seals replaced and ready to fit, I'm going to tackle it with a mechanic friend as its a bit advanced for me!

Also got these jobbies, jacking pads to replace the orginal jack, much quicker for getting it onto axle stands.

12803593914_6ab00c0aa7.jpg

Last edited:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
what is this vanos change? seen a couple of members doin this recently.

E36 328i
From what I understand it is basically VVT - on the M52 engine it only applies to the intake cam. The old seals go hard, oil can then get past them which means the VVT can't engage. The engine runs less efficiently and throws up an error code "VANOS jammed".

Like I say, that's my understanding of it.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
From what I understand it is basically VVT - on the M52 engine it only applies to the intake cam. The old seals go hard, oil can then get past them which means the VVT can't engage. The engine runs less efficiently and throws up an error code "VANOS jammed".

Like I say, that's my understanding of it.

Ah right, so similar to a dephaser pulley I guess?

Cheers.