ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW inside.

E36 328i
OBC has been a consideration, I'm not 100% what the features of it are though. Care to explain? I'd like cruise control eventually too.

Performance wise, the Clio feels quicker. I'm sure it's not though, it was obviously quite a lot more "raw" as such. Not overly fussed with speed, it is so much nicer to drive (does sound fantastic on full chat). I just wish I had gone to BMW sooner, I will have to own a e39 M5 now.

E36 328i
Very small update, turns out the door moulds weren't just double sided taped on. They have metal rails in them which the clips attach to, these has completely rusted out rendering them useless!

9148026452_a5eccf86e3.jpg

Untitled by matt_13289, on Flickr

Ordered some new ones which turned up today, fitted and they look great.

Last edited:
i weren't a fan of these but seeing this on that colour has changed my mind and i now want one! bring the rear up a cm and it'll be sitting spot on i think

BMW M5 & E36
OBC has been a consideration, I'm not 100% what the features of it are though. Care to explain? I'd like cruise control eventually too. Performance wise, the Clio feels quicker. I'm sure it's not though, it was obviously quite a lot more "raw" as such. Not overly fussed with speed, it is so much nicer to drive (does sound fantastic on full chat). I just wish I had gone to BMW sooner, I will have to own a e39 M5 now.

Hit me up when you're ready for a swap! Looks stunning.

E36 328i
^^^Only just seen this, don't tempt me. Yours is a cracker.

Not much happening at the moment. MOT is looming so holding cash back in case anything needs addressing. I have changed the oil and plugs, it is running spot on. I have a piece of braided clutch line ready to delete the clutch delay valve and I'm on the look out for an M3 LSD. I've put a DAB radio in as the reception was awful but its really clear now. Its not tacky looking either which was my main concern. Still haven't raised the rear, cos I'm lazy. I've decided that the angel eyes must go so that is the next job.

Couple of crappy instagram pics for now.

9466121897_04e60c7a10.jpg

9466123005_6d2205cdab.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It really is lovely. From what I've heard I'd avoid the manifold option. Apparently the low down losses negate the night end power. Almost vtec esque...

Cracking looking motor though mate, seriously. I was out in an auto this weekend and was VERY impressed with the power etc!

E36 328i
Thanks chaps. Yeah I did see that about the manifold, maybe I'll consider it after the diff (better ratio).

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
It really is lovely. From what I've heard I'd avoid the manifold option. Apparently the low down losses negate the night end power. Almost vtec esque...

Cracking looking motor though mate, seriously. I was out in an auto this weekend and was VERY impressed with the power etc!

Its only if you don't map it afterwards. The manifold and throttle body is meant to make a good improvement after a map.

E36 328i
Haha, if you click the photos it will take you to the set on Flickr, quite a few more on there.

Some helmet has nicked the O/S dust caps. They were shiny metal BMW jobbies. Not sure what to make of that yet, as I couldn't decide if I liked them or not.

E36 328i
Currently raising the rear and standard headlights have arrived. Gonna strip them down, clean up and re seal to try and stop the issues with clouding they all seem to have.

9552268865_4f5da9cd68.jpg

Seems they were stored in a shed for a while because of the filth

9552271645_2f27675169.jpg

But for 30 quid I can't complain! Tackling the clutch delay valve soon.

E36 328i
So today the rear coilovers have been raised, a creaking top mount sorted, front wheels balanced and the clutch delay valve removed with some HEL braided line.

The car drives so much better with the valve gone, gear changes are much smoother. I think it looks more purposeful with the rear raised too. I took it out for some pictures to show the change on the rear but the car wasn't clean so they aren't the best.

9558749102_2a4565e441.jpg

IMG_6404 by matt_13289, on Flickr

9558840444_8c491538d2.jpg

IMG_6381 by matt_13289, on Flickr

Interior shots:

9558766860_bbfa23940a.jpg

IMG_6399 by matt_13289, on Flickr

9558797670_bb2a81ecba.jpg

IMG_6387 by matt_13289, on Flickr

More pictures can be found here: BMW - a set on Flickr

Also did a quick exhaust video, had trouble recording it decently so the video is a bit quiet - may have to re-do it at some stage. Exhaust is an M3 catback.

BMW Exhuast - YouTube (speakers up!)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Wow! Thats stunning. Whats the crack with this clutch delay thing? SOunds like something I might want to do to mine.

The exhaust sounds exactly like my standard exhaust btw, plus its a whole lot heavier! Could be your poor attempt at video though.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Delay valve - http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f2/clutch-delay-valve-cdv-e36-e46-e39-t95725/

Braided line (don't be put off that its for an M3 - same gearbox) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-M...UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&var=&hash=item35c926521d

Yeah the vid isn't great. I'd like to put them side by side to compare as I'd be inclined to change it if there is no difference. Sometimes think it could do with more of a grumble.

I want to do that to my E46.

​Anyone want to do it for me??

E36 328i
I didn't do it merely because I'm not crawling around underneath it with only 20 year old axle stands to hold it up.

Lucky I didn't as the garage said it was a complete f*cker.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Delay valve - http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f2/clutch-delay-valve-cdv-e36-e46-e39-t95725/ Braided line (don't be put off that its for an M3 - same gearbox) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-M...UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&var=&hash=item35c926521d Yeah the vid isn't great. I'd like to put them side by side to compare as I'd be inclined to change it if there is no difference. Sometimes think it could do with more of a grumble.

Thats awesome, cheers!

I take it, its just as simple as swapping the lines and removing the valve?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Wonder if my VR6 has this valve...... or it's just my shagged engine mounts

E36 328i
Is that the guy on Ebay from Nottingham that sells them for £300+? I go to Derby a lot as my sister lives there but I can't pay that much for a diff with 100k on. One went down here (down saaarf) recently for £120. There is a huge BMW breaker the next town over from me but I keep forgetting to call them!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Is that the guy on Ebay from Nottingham that sells them for £300+? I go to Derby a lot as my sister lives there but I can't pay that much for a diff with 100k on. One went down here (down saaarf) recently for £120. There is a huge BMW breaker the next town over from me but I keep forgetting to call them!

Yeah, but he's quite a bit cheaper when you pop in. Its handy as he is right behind Diamond Motors. £120!! I have never seen one go that cheap, someone got a bargain.

Seen them as low as £100 up to £350. Im assuming you know if its come straight from a 3.0 you'l need the 3.0 prop shaft too, unless you want to swap the input flange and re-set the preload properly... may as well be using an open diff otherwise. Or better still find one thats already had the input flange swapped.

​Its completely hit and miss, plus they are all 15+ years old now. My previous 160k 3.0 LSD was spot on and the lock was great.

A low miler could be f*cked if its been driven hard, high miler cruiser could be fine. Someone could have put non-LSD oil in them at some point also etc. No way of telling until its fitted to the car and you experience problems.

If you're mechanically minded its not too hard to strip it apart and replace the clutchpack, re-assemble and fill with gear oil before putting it on the car. I've just done one for mine. Nearly changed the ring gear and pinion to 3.46 from 3.15, but ended up leaving it as I didn't want too high RPM on the motorway.

E36 328i
Yeah I knew the flange would need swapping - is setting the preload a ballache? That's why I want to find a cheap one as I'd ideally have it refurbed before it goes on.

You can mark the flange nut with a punch then when the other goes on just tighten the nut until the marks line up (pikey method), the proper way is to lock both output flanges and torque wrench to a specific setting dependant on diff (hard work keeping them still as its very tight!)

Cheap one and refurb is probably for the best, at least you know its spot on then. Il keep an eye out

E36 328i
Today I took out the angel eyes, 100% improvement. Awful pics but do the job.

Start with angel eyes:
9610062948_702959b5a2.jpg

In progress:
9610058130_1924ff13c1.jpg

One in:
9610053358_69cb457192.jpg

Done!
9610047624_1bbb9c58a5.jpg

Gave it a good clean as I'm taking it to Prept at Brands Hatch tomorrow. Took the wheels off, gave them a clean-up but it just reminded me that they really need a refurb. Arches scrubbed down and will be getting undersealed.

9606833281_cd57deda3d.jpg

Next up, I've sourced an M3 LSD and...................

MOT :0

Thanks for looking.