ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daily dci

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Mpg seems to be awesome on the blue dci @Mazz it does do a fair bit of dual carriageway driving though. The orange one does around 62mpg with a mixture of street and short dual carriageway runs, so yours sounds about right.

Id leave cat off and egr blanked. The blue one is smoking bad from cold now and assume oil control rings are stuck due to oily crap building up, these engines are dirty and the egr chokes them up. Ive got the parts in stock to give it a freshen up very soon, im thinking about spinning the egr 180deg when its back together aka cheap delete.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Mpg seems to be awesome on the blue dci @Mazz it does do a fair bit of dual carriageway driving though. The orange one does around 62mpg with a mixture of street and short dual carriageway runs, so yours sounds about right.

Id leave cat off and egr blanked. The blue one is smoking bad from cold now and assume oil control rings are stuck due to oily crap building up, these engines are dirty and the egr chokes them up. Ive got the parts in stock to give it a freshen up very soon, im thinking about spinning the egr 180deg when its back together aka cheap delete.
Mine ran brilliant after I disconnected it while closed so it wasn't doing anything! Night and day better, performance, economy and just general running!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Mine ran brilliant after I disconnected it while closed so it wasn't doing anything! Night and day better, performance, economy and just general running!
Did it chuck the eml on ? Ive considered modifying the pushrod on the solenoid.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Did it chuck the eml on ? Ive considered modifying the pushrod on the solenoid.
it never brought the light on once in 30k, HOWEVER it was running a superchips map so I'm not sure if the EML/EGR had been disabled, there was certainly nothing in the description to say it had but my old standard 65 used to bring the light on with the EGR disconnected.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Xmas repairs to the blue dci.

Epic amounts of blue smoke/misfire from cold now. Ready to pull pistons out tomorrow, bores are nice and shiney, i guess that explains the epic oil usage. Evidence of previous inlet valve to piston clatter on cylinder 1&4, i had a feeling it had a head job previously.

20211222_195443.jpg

Pikey flex hone in situ tomorrow.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Pulling any money? Last derv one i done got £30 for. Got a ph1 225 cat here might get that gone;)
Last kangoo one I got rid of I got £77 for. But an earlier kangoo was only £30. Swings and roundabouts! That 225 cat will get you something nice for Christmas no doubt!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Cat needs to go but cant be fucked paying somebody to make a pipe up.

Keep it going for a few more miles while looking for a replacement @Adeyspec . Ive been looking for suitable diesels for work but a lot of scrap about for 2-3k at the moment.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Cat needs to go but cant be fucked paying somebody to make a pipe up.

Keep it going for a few more miles while looking for a replacement @Adeyspec . Ive been looking for suitable diesels for work but a lot of scrap about for 2-3k at the moment.
If you knock the guts out of that cat and put it in a bag I can get you the same money for it. Tommy pays for the material as long as you can send him the code

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Don't know if this helps but my Megane mk3 110 gets 50-53mpg. I only paid 550 for it and seen a few about 1k.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I don't get why they're so s**t on fuel. My MK2 dCi 100 did 80mpg average

Newcastle to Brighton at 60mph did a steady 92mpg. I'm fairly certain it was running on the fumes coming out of the cars Infront

@Gus has/had a MK4 that he does silly mpg in iirc

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
If you knock the guts out of that cat and put it in a bag I can get you the same money for it. Tommy pays for the material as long as you can send him the code
They any better on fuel without the cat in with it being more free flowing?
What they like noise wise? 👍🏻
Might have just given myself another job to do!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
They any better on fuel without the cat in with it being more free flowing?
What they like noise wise? 👍🏻
Might have just given myself another job to do!
My pal decatted his 80 when the engine went pop. There isn't much noise added apart from a bit of turbo whilstle, bit more smoke but he's still got the backbox in place

When he starts it I tend to sniff up harder, f**king love the smell of diesel smoke🤣

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My pal decatted his 80 when the engine went pop. There isn't much noise added apart from a bit of turbo whilstle, bit more smoke but he's still got the backbox in place

When he starts it I tend to sniff up harder, f**king love the smell of diesel smoke🤣
Buy my X5. Makes my bloody eyes water.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I found my GT DCI 106 was about 15mpg off my mapped DCI 100 on the same run! MK4 was around the same as the mk3, current Mk5 is a bit better but it's just a DCI 85

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Always on the hunt for more MPG!

So if I take the cat off (or internals out) on my MK2 Kangoo 1.5 dci I’ll get better MPG over my current (which is already good)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I could live with 50+ mpg so might have a look at the newer clios.

Blue clio back together.
20211228_171406.jpg
Fired up first turn, did not need any sniff to get it going which was good. No blue smoke from cold so looks promising, engine sounds great even quieter than before.

Took it for a ten mile drive on some local b roads with hills using peak torque/boost to get some load on the new rings to break them in. Will run it on mineral oil for a thousand miles or so before going back to synthetic.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
@Brigsy - I used this for a looooong road trip last week. Did nearly 70mpg! (Think it was 68.8??)

I think they are really good cars - and a step up from the Mk2. Sadly, the seats in the mk3 are abysmal. Like sitting on a temporary camping stool/walking stick combo. You could literally fall
Off at any given moment. 😂

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Decent that @Daniel . Ive only drove a 197 with recaros before not had the pleasure of driving a povo yet. Cant be any worse than some of the heaps of shite ive drove in the past though :LOL:

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Reading this has made me want a MK2 dci.... are there any on the market for a few quid....is there f###