ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daily dci

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Spot on. Thats one less thing to piss about changing. Could do with a pair of cup lower arms as the ones i have here are reinforced and powerflex black bushes in, spares for the trophy might be a bit much for it :LOL:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Small problem with the blue dci today!

Heard a twang when driving half way down the drive. Jacked up and passenger side spring has snapped half a coil from the bottom.
20230224_151330.jpg

Original springs as far as i know at 162k so cant moan. Ordered a pair from local motorfactors so thats tomorrows job, also both front wheel bearings as its getting a bit noisy up front. Its no rolls royce but standards are defo slipping so will make some improvements to noise.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
oh thats unlucky! gladly its not a so bad job to do (in theese days I need to sort out a little leak on water pump gasket..I'd love to do springs and bearings instead heheh).
if you manage to find also oem spring silencers would be even more silent!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Made a start on the blue dci today.

Picked parts up at 130pm, Stripped and ready in an hr. Noted o/s balljoint sloppy/play so rang local motorfactors and they had a new one in stock.

Shot down and picked it up. Pressed new wheel bearings in. Go to fit new balljoint and its an m12 one where i need m10. Back to the factors to swap that. Look for my spring compressors and realise id binned them last time as threads were looking sketchy at best.

Starts hailstoning and its 5pm at this point. Shoot down my mates unit to use his hydraulic spring compressor to fit new springs. More running about than actualy working!

Get it back together in the light tomorrow.
20230225_145455.jpg
Renault life, all on axle stands
20230225_160143.jpg
Big copper hammer gets the hubs and old bearing races out in a few blows. Grinder to cut the old bearing race on the hub until almost through and split the remainder with a chisel. Bearings were gritty so well past their best.
20230225_145447.jpg
Cheap 20 ton press in action. Bought this in 2008 and its done a load of bearings and bushes over the years and absolutely paid for itself. Old race and large socket as mandrels.
20230225_161139.jpg
New bearings in. Hopefully be loads quieter as the stereo had had to be turned up loud to drown out the noise recently :LOL:
20230225_162529.jpg

On the home straight now. Would have been nice to box it off today but it is what it is.

Thanks for reading!!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Everything refitted and torqued to spec in an hr this morning before the crap weather set in.

Improvements all round, wheel bearing noise gone, steering is sharper, ride is better. Brakes are improved as serviced them whilst apart and freed off the sliders as passenger one was seized.

Done 20 miles and all good. Ill get the geo done tomorrow if all goes well, as it looks to be 20mm or so higher than before and cant be arsed running the new tyres off.
20230226_125137.jpg

Thanks for reading!!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
What a turn around ! I broke a spring on my 1.2 in 2019 and its still sat there on the back of my drive .

I just went out and bought a golf instead 😆
Cheers mate. Spring only is super easy on these get it changed (y)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Monday update

Another day another small issue. Go out on a site visit to Cramlington approx an hr away/100 mile round trip. Make it there no fuss and on way back stop at local garage to get toe set.

Pull up and turn engine off no issues. My mate shouts me to bring it in, go to start and red immob light of doom/no start. Repeat 5 mins of ign on and off and it eventually starts. Fires up and cuts straight out, and repeat a couple of times, eml is flashing. I catch it on the throttle and with a bit of diesel knock it stays running.

Get toe set, then same carry on again to get it started up and stay running. Only a mile away from the house and luckily make it back.

I thought an injector was on its last legs so get clip on to see what the f**k is going on.

Scan immobiliser and codes stored
20230227_160253.jpg
20230227_160334.jpg

No communication, Strange. Clear faults and does not appear again when cycling ign as immob light is off but still conking out.

Scan engine ecu and DF125 is stored (ignore heater plugs as its been on forever)
20230227_160451.jpg

20230227_160500.jpg

So its wiring or relay. Fire up my other laptop to find ecu/immob relay. Take it out and no corrosion suprisingly so bosh a spare relay in
20230227_163919.jpg

Note clean relay thats replaced the old one. Fires straight up no issues and fault gone, repeat it a couple of times to confirm. 20 min fix.

Done 20mile round trip to gym and all good again.

In situations like this you would be knackered without clip or similar good diagnostics! Id bet 90% of people would say injector in this instance.

Manchester and back tomorrow lets keep fingers crossed nothing else breaks.

Thanks for reading!!

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Monday update

Another day another small issue. Go out on a site visit to Cramlington approx an hr away/100 mile round trip. Make it there no fuss and on way back stop at local garage to get toe set.

Pull up and turn engine off no issues. My mate shouts me to bring it in, go to start and red immob light of doom/no start. Repeat 5 mins of ign on and off and it eventually starts. Fires up and cuts straight out, and repeat a couple of times, eml is flashing. I catch it on the throttle and with a bit of diesel knock it stays running.

Get toe set, then same carry on again to get it started up and stay running. Only a mile away from the house and luckily make it back.

I thought an injector was on its last legs so get clip on to see what the f**k is going on.

Scan immobiliser and codes storedView attachment 1633449View attachment 1633450
No communication, Strange. Clear faults and does not appear again when cycling ign as immob light is off but still conking out.

Scan engine ecu and DF125 is stored (ignore heater plugs as its been on forever)View attachment 1633451
View attachment 1633452
So its wiring or relay. Fire up my other laptop to find ecu/immob relay. Take it out and no corrosion suprisingly so bosh a spare relay inView attachment 1633453
Note clean relay thats replaced the old one. Fires straight up no issues and fault gone, repeat it a couple of times to confirm. 20 min fix.

Done 20mile round trip to gym and all good again.

In situations like this you would be knackered without clip or similar good diagnostics! Id bet 90% of people would say injector in this instance.

Manchester and back tomorrow lets keep fingers crossed nothing else breaks.

Thanks for reading!!

I feel like that post should be made a sticky somewhere. The amount of people who spend forever pissing in the wind when that red light comes on is phenomenal. Top work 👍

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ive fixed a few immob red light of doom and its always related to the underbonnet fusebox area. Nice easy one this one luckily.

Interestingly i tried the obd scanner on clip today. No faults present apparently, id already went into the ecus and found the info logged so knew faults were stored. Wonder if obd scanner on clip is the same as generic?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Ive fixed a few immob red light of doom and its always related to the underbonnet fusebox area. Nice easy one this one luckily.

Interestingly i tried the obd scanner on clip today. No faults present apparently, id already went into the ecus and found the info logged so knew faults were stored. Wonder if obd scanner on clip is the same as generic?

Probably similar to a generic scanner yeah, obd2 is just the basic protocol which won't look at all the parameters Clip can.

Fodda172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport

What clip are you using mate? My kangoo’s dead at min due to the immob light flashing fast when I try to start it.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
What clip are you using mate? My kangoo’s dead at min due to the immob light flashing fast when I try to start it.
I too would like to know, also what kind of laptop is needed as I have neither but guessing you can get away with a cheap laptop to run clip?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

I too would like to know, also what kind of laptop is needed as I have neither but guessing you can get away with a cheap laptop to run clip?

Look for Renault CAN Clip with Full Chip in the description, they're the best ones and pretty much identical to dealer spec.

You need XP 32bit or Win 7/10 32bit. Won't work properly on 64bit.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

That one is cheaper, but then it shows green board although it does have the Cypress chips :unsure:

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That should do. They have gone up in price, double what i paid! Id have a look on aliexpress see if any cheaper
I did see one using the same stock photo for £181 on Ali

That one is cheaper, but then it shows green board although it does have the Cypress chips :unsure:
Assuming that's the chip you want when looking at buying one of these then?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Weekend update

Wheel bearing noise has reduced quite a bit with the fronts done, but still some noise on the back at speed. Its never going to be a fecking rolls royce but can be improved as the drone at 70 is annoying.

Got 2x rear bearings from local factors today £25 the pair.

Jacked up, bearings pressed out and new ones pressed in, rear shoes took up and refitted in 40 mins.
20230304_165934.jpg
20230304_165949.jpg

Hopefully this will get it, if not its a noisy rear tyre. Test drive it later to see if its any better.

Thanks for reading!!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I’m well jealous of the press in the garage. I’d love that
When i first bought it i was unsure whether it was worth it for a one off job, but over the years its absolutely earned its money. Must have done at least 10 sets of bearings and loads of bushes and other random jobs. Still s**t myself every time i use it if a bearing case moves with a bang like it did on one today :LOL:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates

Blue dci seemed a little bit down on power recently. Stuck a new delphi diesel filter on as cant remember when i changed it last, possibly when i refreshed the rings but that was 22k ago! Also nipped up boost hose clips as they had backed off a little, seems more willing to go torque is much better.

Had to wash it as couldnt see out the side windows or nowt which is a pain in the arse in the sun when relying on side mirrors.

Still cleans up alright considering.
20230321_163733.jpg

Need to change rear tyres soon. Same set i bought it on at 107k and its on 164k now cant moan! Rear wheels are corroded to death could do with a cheap pair before new rubber.

Thanks for reading!!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Great thread really want one of these but mk2s are getting few and far between now
Cheers mate. Mk2 dci is a proper dying breed now, most for sale are well past their best.
I don't have the patience for cars like this everyday and go mad pottering but the amount of money it must have saved you Brigsy must have really added up!
Its crazy the amount of money its earned over the years on business mileage. I think im going to keep running it until the bodywork is totally shagged.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate. Mk2 dci is a proper dying breed now, most for sale are well past their best.

Its crazy the amount of money its earned over the years on business mileage. I think im going to keep running it until the bodywork is totally shagged.
Agree with this, my old 80 had earned its value 10 times over in milage claims!

They are still almost impossible to beat in terms of running costs, but now you have to be dedicated to the cause and willing to stick a pump and injectors on them, but tbh, once that's done they are good to go for another 150k!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates

Blue clio plowing along as usual mileage 170k.

Treated it to a pair of new Michelin crossclimates on the rear to replace the aging cracked cheapo tyres that have been on it since i got the car. The tyres that have been removed were almost new when i got the car 4 years ago, and ive done 60k on them and still had 3mm tread left. Crazy really, they were very noisy and cracks that were getting naughty so had to go. Instant noise improvements with the michelins.

Ive also had a small issue with it. Basically every day it will start straight away from cold. But - if you start it up, and turn off after a minute or so and leave it 30 mins or more, it will take a long crank to fire it. If you drive it for a few miles after first start its good as gold though.

Its had this issue on and off since i bought it, and have always suspected an airleak at one of the push fittings on the diesel filter. Loads of air in the diesel pipes.

Bought all the diesel pipes for under the bonnet from autodoc, gates brand. Quality seems OK. Fitted this morning with new delphi filter, and noticeably less air in the clear pipes, starts even faster. Id read that the diesel primer also has a non return valve in which can fail, no idea if true or not but its changed anyway.

Will see where its at after a week or so, if not an injector may be getting there. Again ill keep driving until it becomes an issue, got a can of easi start in the back just incase :LOL:

Also changed oil and filter whilst at it. Oil consumption half a ltr over 10k which is spot on. Apart from getting diesel all over my arms the pipes were straightforward enough to fit.
20230610_092442.jpg
20230610_092454.jpg
These are also spot on for dci filter removal, as the filters go tight as feck for some reason. Cheap too.
20230610_092612.jpg

Also blue dci average mpg over 10k miled is 69.2, awesome for an old diesel. Thats mixed normal driving however been sticking to 60mph on motorway in work time, why rush.
20230608_175354.jpg

Orange dci plowing on as usual. Still not done belts yet must get on it as soon as i get back from hols.

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Small update

Both clio's were looking very sorry for themselves after not been washed for ages, not had the time or energy on a mega diet before hols. Quick wash for both yesterday evening once temps had cooled down.

Orange is a bit faded these days and Blue is a ten footer at best, but both acceptable for 20year old cheap high milers!

20230613_080116.jpg
20230613_080123.jpg
20230613_080142.jpg
20230613_080101.jpg
20230613_080236.jpg
20230613_080050.jpg

Blue clio seems to be absolutely behaving itself since new diesel pipes, not done the long crank touch wood. Aircon still working lovely in the hot weather too.

Thanks for reading!!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates

Blue clio is running excellent since new diesel pipe fitting. Its quieter on cold start, bit quicker and better mpg. Starts every time same amount or cranking and no hunting on cold start. Absolute win!

Mileage ticked over 171500 yesterday. 30k since its quick re ring.
20230710_203256.jpg

Aircon was still nice and cold but felt like it sometimes took a little longer to cool. Its been 3 years since recomissioning the ac system and it had only leaked a little bit of gas hardly nothing and still showing 4.5bar pressure iirc. Anyway had it topped off again and its ice cold straight away now.
20230716_194700.jpg

Still a mega little bus. Just jump in and drive no fuss.

Thanks for reading!!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ohh indeed i cant live without ac in a daily driver now. Was hating my life in the trophy recently 31deg no ac sweatbox :LOL:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates

Blue clio started vibrating under braking a week or so ago quite intermittently assumed discs and pads on their way.

Got worse fast this week, and as doing loads of miles again needed attending to sharpish. Grabbed drivers side wheel and loads of 3-9 oclock movement, track rod end was absolutely knackered. Tons of play suprised no other symptoms, only had a very occasional light knock that sounded like top mount.

15 mins to change it for new this dinner time. Whilst gear was out i give it a pre mot check and checked balljoints, bushes etc. Noted passenger side balljoint rubber had split that id recently replaced when changing wheel bearings. Tyre bar in and slight play so replaced the balljoint for a new one.
20230808_125257.jpg

Straight down for geo as steering wheel was off. Steering wheel is arrow straight now and drives spot on again.
20230808_153806.jpg

Mot next month. Should pass ok from todays checks.

Thanks for reading!!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Updates.

Blue dci up to 174'500 miles so done 3k in 7 ish weeks. Been all over with work, it just cruises along with no complaints..ac working beaut in the heat, 69-70mpg all the time normal driving.

Its looking well used/mucky and headlamps faded so yearly polish time, its dark season coming up so be nice if the headlamps work a little bit better with clear lenses.

Before - piss yellow headlamps.
20230909_093054.jpg

Started by wet sanding first with 1500 wet and dry, followed by 2000 wet and dry. Followed by da polish, cutting compound on medium cut pad then final pass with finishing compound and finishing pad. Took about 20 mins overall to do both and decent result. Sealed with left over gtechniq wheel armour ceramic coating, see how long it lasts.

Done.
20230909_111901.jpg
20230909_111906.jpg
20230909_111913.jpg

Also washed it as not been cleaned since June and front wheels were black with brake dust.
20230909_111849.jpg

Still passes the 10 foot test. Mot next Friday, should be good to go.

Thanks for reading!!