ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E92 335i

Once I put my foot down, I forget the problems. I was 4 up on Friday night, and it still pulled hard to a silly figure.

Tbh, the wastegate/hpfp was sorted for me, there's just a slight knock/rattle. I know it's there, but my 3 passengers on Friday couldn't hear it.

Not a 320d
Yeah.... I bet :)

My problems start when I push the start button ;)

​Nah I like it its mainly the tyres I have issue with now.

The weapon:

9014467760_fa13331025_b.jpg

9014470064_66d6592fd1_b.jpg

People at work think I bloody lease cars, with having 4 different BMWs in the last month.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Lol have you had any "nice new car you've got there" comments?

Since finding out you could get these as a manual I must say I'm tempted.

How do you qualify for the warranty?

Snotter's
Ring BMW UK and they will advise you on cost, it vaires so much car to car depending on mileage and history etc.

Lol have you had any "nice new car you've got there" comments?

Since finding out you could get these as a manual I must say I'm tempted.

How do you qualify for the warranty?

Sure have, had one in the petrol station "ooww, a 13 plate, is that new?"

​It must have FSH, and be under 100k miles. That's it.

Not a 320d
How does it feel to drive? I class the 320d as acceptable on the basis it actually does move. Remapped my mates 118d was quite shat TBH cant imagine a stock 118d is anything less than soul destroying.

How does it feel to drive? I class the 320d as acceptable on the basis it actually does move. Remapped my mates 118d was quite shat TBH cant imagine a stock 118d is anything less than soul destroying.

It was slow, had tons of body roll, but was torquey. The 320d I drove was fine, in fact I was hoping they'd give me the 320d (after the 116i).

Anyway, car is back now, all seems perfect.

However, to add insult to injury, they charged me £60 for apparently kerbing the alloy on their 318d. I couldn't prove otherwise :(

9024201692_f654c06944_b.png

​Now to enjoy it.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Did they not inspect it with you prior to taking it away?

I had a hire car a few years ago and the guy says "take this and circle on the drawing anywhere there is damage/marks"

I drew a circle round the whole car, it was properly fucked!

Did they not inspect it with you prior to taking it away?

I had a hire car a few years ago and the guy says "take this and circle on the drawing anywhere there is damage/marks"

I drew a circle round the whole car, it was properly f**ked!

Yep, we checked the car before. The mark was no bigger than 10mm x 5mm, I could easily have missed it on one alloy.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi

You'd be surprised. Probably quicker than your's tbh.

This is lovely.

The numbers for brakes/tyre did make me wince a bit though. But I suppose that's what nice cars cost.

I had a nosey when you added me on Instagram. Took me a minute to realise it was you and I only realised that by seeing your old collection of DVDs! Ha.

This is lovely.

The numbers for brakes/tyre did make me wince a bit though. But I suppose that's what nice cars cost.

I had a nosey when you added me on Instagram. Took me a minute to realise it was you and I only realised that by seeing your old collection of DVDs! Ha.

I've owned it 7 months, and it's been in the garage 6 times. LOL. Currently on it's 3rd visit for wastegate rattle.

People must think the 335 is the courtesy car.

I've nearly forgotten what my car looks like.

BMW have had it since 27th August. I've become used to the 118d.

Evo 6, E92 320d
Hope you get it sorted soon, I got the dreaded dsc failure on my I drive yesterday, seems ok today though.

Leon Cupra 300
What's it still in for this time round? Still the waste gate rattle?

I don't miss mine at all when you think about all the issues.. New lease cars for me from now on and an old simple shed.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i

I don't miss mine at all when you think about all the issues.. New lease cars for me from now on and an old simple shed.

You got rid of yours?! I'm sure it was you on PH who was telling me the reliability stuff was just hearsay

Yeh, wastegate rattle again.

The thing is the 'problem' isn't really an issue, it doesn't restrict the car, or prevent me from driving it. It just doesn't sound 100% perfect.

It's had 3 sets of Turbos since Feb. Now BMW HQ have put a hold on the warranty claim, until the garage carry out in depth tests of parts.

The kit they need to carry out the tests are on back order, and I'm not likely to see the car for 3-4 more weeks. I go on holiday this weekend for a week, got to take the bloody 1 series.

Other than the rattles, it's perfect. It's just a shame it's taking the shine off my ownership.

Z4
I think I must be retarded.

I'm sat here reading through a thread of problems that would have cost thousands to repair without bmw warranty, yet I'm lusting over autotrader and I've found a 335i I want to buy.

It's everything I want in a car: its a drivers car, fast, torquey turbos, semi baller looks, refined, gadgets.

- points questionable reliability, high tax bracket.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
And this isn't a one off incident of unreliability Chris. My information comes from a warranty guy. I wouldn't even be near a newer BMW/MINI without warranty just now.

Timing chain went on a friend's Cooper S 6 months out of warranty.. told to go forth and multiply. Not interested. She paid 4k or something all together to get it fixed at a BMW garage. Can't remember exactly what damage was done. Luckily Daddy has a few bob.

It's a great car. I wouldn't own one without warranty, and I knew of the problems before buying (obviously I didn't expect to have any).

Might get it back before Christmas. Until then I'll enjoy the single positive of 53+mpg, as opposed to ~25mpg.

If I didn't have warranty, I wouldn't be having this work done.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Yeah warranty is a must. I was pricing up an E6x M5 (2005/06) and was speaking to a guy who's mate (still with me?) had a failure with the sequential gearbox. £12k for the box replacement and £4k in labour.

Ding dong.

Clio 172 + 172 cup
That is a very nice car. I do have a soft spot for beemers. I used to have an E39 530D and then an E39 M5, a total of 5 years between them and they cost me next to nothing other than servicing, fuel, and a lot of rear tyres for the M5 ;)

MC

Z4
I think I've actually gone full circle and decided against it.
The costs just don't add up for me.

Around £55pm warranty, an extra £17pm for road tax that wouldn't be payed on the next bracket down & the fact that you're potentially not going to have your car when you want it!

I only drive probably around 2-300 miles per month so that works out pretty costly for something sitting pretty on the drive most of the time.

Back to the drawing board :(

Around £55pm warranty, an extra £17pm for road tax that wouldn't be payed on the next bracket down & the fact that you're potentially not going to have your car when you want it!

I agree to an extent. But even with these points, I'd still own it. The car is perfect in every other way. I struggled to find/think of another car in the same league as this, in terms of power/price/size/comfort/style.

I don't plan on selling anytime soon. They are repairing the car at no cost to me, in fact I'm saving money on fuel, so it offsets the tax/insurance/warranty I'm paying for while it's away.

I do miss it though. The 118d is soul destroying. I either look like a sales rep or I'm driving the Mrs' car. I've not owned a car so 'normal' before.

Z4
I agree to an extent. But even with these points, I'd still own it. The car is perfect in every other way. I struggled to find/think of another car in the same league as this, in terms of power/price/size/comfort/style.

I don't plan on selling anytime soon. They are repairing the car at no cost to me, in fact I'm saving money on fuel, so it offsets the tax/insurance/warranty I'm paying for while it's away.

I do miss it though. The 118d is soul destroying. I either look like a sales rep or I'm driving the Mrs' car. I've not owned a car so 'normal' before.

I have to agree.
I can't find anything else that matches it tbh.

What excess do you pay? I assume it's the 'comprehensive' policy yeah?

Ive just had a quote and it's not that bad, it would give me peace of mind at the end of the day. I've spent around £800 on repairs for the z4 this year and I've not moaned about it, it's just one of those things, the 335i with warranty would actually work out cheaper in that regards!

I've gone full circle and a half now, back in bmw turbo territory! :D

Z4
I've actually found a quote, fully comp, for £36pm. £100 excess.
Seems more than reasonable for bmw warranty!

On that basis, I've done my sums, and it's very affordable for me.
It'll work out around £50pm more than my Z4, but I didn't have warranty on that as it's only basic mechanics. People spend more than that on buying lunch out FFS!

Im off to look at one tomorrow. Woop.

Haha, I like your thinking. Same as my thought process last year.

Initially I was looking at a 330 until I test drove one at BMW.

I'm at a loose end, and loosing faith, trust and patience now.

August 27th I dropped it off, they won't replace the turbos. Testing has been carried out, engine, exhaust system out 3 times, then put back together.

8 weeks on I still don't have the car, and no deadline. They've given me a 118d (obviously I'm happy I have transport), but paying to insure and tax mine isn't cheap, plus if I wanted the lowest variation of a BMW I would have bought that.

BMW warranty line confirm no claim is outstanding.

Where do I go? I've emailed the director of Stratstone (franchise who have the car) who replied expressing his embarrassment, to be passed back to the dealer service department.

I bought the car privately so I can't throw my arms around asking for a like-for-like replacement.

Any advice guys?

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Nightmare. Must be very frustrating especially you have lost the last month or 2 of reasonable driving weather... Be back in time for winter :(
my 135i was a belter and has been running circa 400bhp from 55k and well over 400bhp from 60k and not missed a beat, so inky experience I'd still get another.

hope they get there finger out and get it sorted for you it will be costing them more in bad press and time than if they just replace turbos as surely that's where the problem lies ??

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That's a massive shame CJ. Fact is, it looks like they don't know what the issue is. They need someone who does.

Z4
Personally, I'd be pissed at that!

Youre shelling out about £40pm on tax, and probably around £50-60 on insurance for a 335i but you're driving a poxy 118d where the equivalent bills would equate to about 35p. I'd be demanding a more like for like car if it's going to be in there any longer, that will give them a little more incentive to hurry up.

If they refuse, total up the difference in bills over between the 2 cars over the duration, get them to pay you for that and the inconvenience, and tell them to hurry up!

Forgive my ignorance or forgetfulness but what is wrong with it?

There isn't a fault, as such, but there's a rattle coming from the wastegate/actuators when coming off boost.

They know what it is, they've replaced it twice, and it's fully covered under warranty. The only solution is replacing the turbo, which they are now refusing.

I'll give that website a look at today, cheers.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
That must be frustrating as hell.

My experience of BMW hasn't been brilliant reliability, it must be said. My 2 work BMW's have had fairly serious issues.

I remember the guy on here from Barnsley had issues when he had one from new. Apologies, I can't remember your username, CBR?

Not a 320d
Cant say I am surprised.

Why would I buy/rent BMW again? My experience has been shoddy from when I first looked at the car. Although mine has not had as many problems as yours.

I thought you had 2 new blowers this year under warranty?

@Simon N

Just read your comment. I highly doubt that. Lets get into a dispute about who's 2 litre diesel is faster lol..... The 320d I drive is considerably quicker than the Clio GT I had, and the Clio GT kept up with my mates mapped 118d with 180hp. So your 118d will be faster than mine? Arent they 140hp/240lbft?