ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fifth Gear - Williams 001 Vs. Clio 197

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
For me the trophy is the best variant and the car should of gone down that route instead of going all brembo and diffusers to appeal to a bigger market.The clio hot hatch already has 40+% of all sales just from the u.k alone.Why change whats already good...

ian

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Adding to that i hope the willy is right up there if not beating the 197 ,just for pure show up effect and to make renault realise what a c**k-up they have made...

ian

williams 0013
what car was the vid shot from ?
and who was in the williams (i think i can guess)
who ever it was fekked off big time LOL
3 or 4 corners and it was gone :D

lol_london said:
wouldnt have been the williams 1 in vid.it was owned by frank williams and written off.proberly 2.

Nope, 0001 is owned by Renault and put an appearance in at FCS,though it was owned by Frank before it was autioned off last year.

Last edited:
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
hooligan said:
what car was the vid shot from ?
and who was in the williams (i think i can guess)
who ever it was fekked off big time LOL
3 or 4 corners and it was gone :D

3 or 4 corners.The bannana left it after the 3rd exit i think and the 172 was doing about 40mph...

ian

BMW E46 330i Touring
I cannot stand the fact that every f*cking 'vs' thread, or even anything remotely resembling a 'vs' thread gets turned into a "mine's better than your's" conversation, often with various argumentative people completely missing the point.

Jesus, I wonder if I said "I saw a nice Civic by the side of the road today, black it was" whether someone would manage to explain how horribly wrong I was in thinking my car would beat it, unless it was in a B-road....

I'm guessing the whole point of taking the Williams and pitting it against the 197 is to show how far, or not so far, Renault have come with the Hot Clio over the years. The results, I don't know and I will keep of that opinion until I watch the programme. If I even do decide to watch it because, quite frankly, I can't stand 5th gear.

Argh! Rant over.

2 live said:
sorry but i must have missed something lol.

the williams is faster...handles better...looks better...is more reliable.....than its supposed newer brother. at which point does the 182 excell in wot a hot hatch should be??

iv encountered countless 172/182s in cup f/f specs.... never had any trouble with em in all honesty.............apart from the trophies.....very capable cars. even when my cars standard ish, it has no fear of anything other then the bodied variety of f7/f4 engines.

altho on track.the coilovers do help the williams lol.

im not saying the williams will never be beaten. but i am saying the 182 isnt the car to do it.

if youv seen a newer shape clio prove it........and have the evidence....then feel free to post.

meanwhile...think about what youve been saying while watching this....

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/+clio/4/3215fec6-8c72-4658-86b3-982701045cc4.htm

;)

enjoy lol.

LOL, quite a biased view there. Think you need to move on a bit, the willy is a quality car dont get me wrong but tbh i would much much rather own a 172/182/197 any day over one. Id like one as a track car maybe but for everyday use not a chance.

As for it looking better, handling better and being faster then i find that quite funny as i nailed a willy today quite easily and it looked not to nice imo.

Ads_172 said:
I cannot stand the fact that every f*cking 'vs' thread, or even anything remotely resembling a 'vs' thread gets turned into a "mine's better than your's" conversation, often with various argumentative people completely missing the point.

Jesus, I wonder if I said "I saw a nice Civic by the side of the road today, black it was" whether someone would manage to explain how horribly wrong I was in thinking my car would beat it, unless it was in a B-road....

I'm guessing the whole point of taking the Williams and pitting it against the 197 is to show how far, or not so far, Renault have come with the Hot Clio over the years. The results, I don't know and I will keep of that opinion until I watch the programme. If I even do decide to watch it because, quite frankly, I can't stand 5th gear.

Argh! Rant over.

Completely agree! All these cars, 172, 182, 197, Williams, standard for standard, there is nothing in it on the roads. Why cant people enjoy these cars without it turning into a p!ssing contest? (my comment about the 'Grandson' earlier was tongue in cheek!)

Shaunbrass said:
As for it looking better, handling better and being faster then i find that quite funny as i nailed a willy today quite easily and it looked not to nice imo.

None of them will 'own' the other! If you want to talk figures, the 172 only has 1bhp per ton over the Williams for example, but its not about figures. They all handle just as well as each other, all have the same (pretty much) power to weight ratio, point to point, nothing in it. And its aways funny when people 'nail' or 'own' their rival, be it a 172 owning a Willy or vice vesa, the very day they comment on a v's thread, lol!

...and I bet I had more badges on my cub scout uniform that the lot of you.

Last edited:
  Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT
gt_gaz said:
what does this video prove?:S

well i dont post on here alot but after watching that video i feel i have to ,

Ill tell u what it proves that all the peeps that say the clio is a poofs or a burds motor ,( which i always get ribbed at work about ) is true !!! or it doesnt do us newer clio drivers justice thats for sure ,

didnt think it was poss to see so many gays on a race track at the same time !

with the exception of that 1 guy that left the camera view after 2 corners :)

--
look forward to seeing the v's on 5th gear :)

Ah this sucks, never started a thread before that has turned to s**t like this.

In answer to one of the questions that has been asked a lot, I'm guessing they used a 197 because it's actually a new, available to buy from Renault car. Why would they review the 182 when they've already done that? The show reviews new cars, not slightly old ones.

Astra VXR 17/05/07
If people post a comment then come back saying it was tongue in cheek then allow me to come back and say calling the 182 The Daddy was also tongue in cheek.

Allow me to use the words of Evo then instead (Then i cant be faulted) who said of the 182 upon its release " The best hot hatch EVER ? Who are we to argue... "

Just about every other mag going rated the 182 as the best hot hatch on the market, therefore IMO ( I am allowed one ) i would be more interested in seeing a shootout with the outgoing highly acclaimed 182 v the new kid on the block ( I hope calling the 197 a kid doesn't offend anyone ). Watching a shootout of a new car v an old one doesn't interest me, one of a new model v its replacement to see if or not it is better does interest me.

As for 2lives comments that the Williams being faster, better handling etc etc then i will take them with the pinch of salt they deserve. Biased comments....erm yes ! Lmao

williams and trophy
ian 182 said:
3 or 4 corners.The bannana left it after the 3rd exit i think and the 172 was doing about 40mph...

ian

lol.the black valver going past and leaving me was flans tt powered beasty...very quick. the nana. well ...a car in 2nd gear, and 1 in 3rd.....lol.....guess which was which ;)...oh btw...i had and still have .a massive flat spot in 3rd for some reason, just when it should be comin on cam too.

think all the 172s were doing about 40 mph.

there are a couple of vids from the oulton day on that site, 1 with yozza at the wheel, think there was maybe 2 clios (newer shape) that passed either of us....and it was a trophy but i was off pirouetting when he passed me ;) lol

Last edited:
  williams and trophy
ok, so my car isnt exactly standard. but i only really have the coilovers and the chip, which isnt mapped properly

but even in std trim. it was pulling as good as the quicker 172s around. rhys' mk1, paddys mk2 chris n nics cup etc.....and it wasnt the only mk 1 to be doing it.

i stand by my original post, ok u may have a point in the straight lines. but then even down the strip iv seen more fast mk1s than 17/82s.

point to poin t...the newer clios would lose ground to a williams. i guess the looks is in the eye of the beholder. but then i prefer the shapes of the older cars, not just clios, they all seem so bubbly now. evrything lol.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
so as you say yourself with your own admission.driver error.means a lot you know
3rd gear with a diesel gearbox is never good.
That video prooved nothing.

ian

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
However im with you on the shapes of some older cars
1145313162_2959_FT0_p4130046.jpg

ian

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
182 vs williams

2 totally different cars

Looks are all down to personal preference

Dont forget with a 182 (full fat) you get air con, air bags, leather seats, better ride etc.

williams and trophy
yeah.its a hot hatch not a luxury car.

get rid of the air con, the leather, air bags and ud have a 1/2 decent quik hatch. thats the aim of these cars after all.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
This is where people get confused i think.If you want the same power and a bit of luxury get a 172/182
If you can do without and want to pocket 7+k then a willy will more than do the job

ian

Mint Clio Valver!
it'l be a good looking hatch test.

I saw a red 197 with anthracite wheels on the snake pass at the weekend. Stunning, a much better looking car than 172 and 182 in my opinion.

Perhaps almost as good looking as the willy! :p

this test is bollox and cannot possibly be fair. the fact you cant get a Williams new means the cars wont be driven as hard as each other as guess what, the Williams is someone's actual car, it's got the best rarest number you can have so you really think somone as anal about his cars as Stromba would let Tiff drive the car at full tilt? Not a chance, it will be taking wider lines, missing the run off (so not to kill the box) and generally not really be racing but going round at pace... nothing more. So lets not get too excited when the 197 pans it...

as for which car is better? personal choice, but having owned a Williams on stock suspension and a Mk2 on coilovers the Williams still handles much better, even though it leans about more etc it's just more dynamic in the bends and has a far far far better and more composed chassis. again, other people might disagree, but I dont really care, this is my findings. std for std again the Williams imo is quicker in a straight line.

Ian, it's me that had the diesel gearbox in that would let me do over 100 in 3rd, not 2 live... but I blew that thing up years ago, it's had a normal box in it for a couple of years now... 2 live's has always been a quick one... or so people thought, but it's not, it's how they all would be with a rebuild and refresh of parts. any MINT Willy will be as fast, most are tired old dogs, it's 13 years old FFS with more than double the miles of most Mk2's. Let's at least try and be real.

"ooh i hammered a tired 13 year old car today"

big deal, chances are it was fucked anyway.

Nippy white cup
2 live said:
yeah.its a hot hatch not a luxury car.

get rid of the air con, the leather, air bags and ud have a 1/2 decent quik hatch. thats the aim of these cars after all.

Sounds like a car I know ;)

Chris

Lee

BMW M2C
Back to the original topic.

0001 was used for static shots as 0002 isn't really up to that these days. 0002 was used on track. Rob let them thrash it too. That's from one of the researchers on 5th Gear.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Lee said:

0001 was used for static shots as 0002 isn't really up to that these days. 0002 was used on track. Rob let them thrash it too. That's from one of the researchers on 5th Gear.

ohhhh bitchy;) lol

Lee said:

we'll be able to see soon enough when it's aired on TV for us, but I cant see them thrashing it as hard. Tiff's a good driver, but they push these cars hard and they get crashed into tyre walls etc, he wont be pushing that hard in the Williams i'm certain of that. It's a bit different having a mass produced readily available car and a one of limited numbered car produced 13 years ago.

plus I reckon 0002 has had that happen to it before hence the front end and your comments Lee, no way would it's present owner let that happen, no way!

Mint Clio Valver!
any idea when this is going to be shown.

any of the researchers on 5th gear know?

what channel also? i don't normally watch it. would do if i knew when it was on though!

chars

Not a Clio anymore.....
Williams025 said:
Nope, 0001 is owned by Renault and put an appearance in at FCS,though it was owned by Frank before it was autioned off last year.

Top Gear did an episode quite a while ago now with the Williams 002, explaining what had happened to the number one car ie. Mr Williams crashed it. So Must have been rebuilt then cos Franky boy totalled it a while ago. Hopefully he took the appropriate steps to declare it as the correct insurance category following a crash....;)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
weewebbo said:
Top Gear did an episode quite a while ago now with the Williams 002, explaining what had happened to the number one car ie. Mr Williams crashed it. So Must have been rebuilt then cos Franky boy totalled it a while ago. Hopefully he took the appropriate steps to declare it as the correct insurance category following a crash....;)

go back to school your williams knowledge is weak!;)

weewebbo said:

no, that information is utter crap and has been rumour since they came out. the one crashed was a test car... hell they probably crashed about 50, but 0001 was deffo NOT written off/crashed.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

big deal, chances are it was f**ked anyway.

Dont go making exuses already "jesus" lets see what happens on the day
If i owned 0002 i would let them caine it ,just to see if there was a chance of it being the ultimate car.Also 5th gear are insured up to there nuts and any probs or breakages would be covered to the limit

ian

Nippy white cup
ian 182 said:

If i owned 0002 i would let them caine it ,just to see if there was a chance of it being the ultimate car.Also 5th gear are insured up to there nuts and any probs or breakages would be covered to the limit

ian

True..I`m sure if they are allowed to rag around in old super cars etc they would be insured for the willie...can`t buy them now obviously but I`m sure parts are still available if owt went wrong

Chris

williams and trophy
Chris n nic said:
Sounds like a car I know ;)

Chris

lol......the cups are quick, cos they lack the above kinda how they shudda bin from the start imo. sell as a basic car.then stick the add ons on as extras.

did anyone ever do reno for false advertising on em tho?? i mean...whiich 1 ran 172 bhp? ;)

ian 182 said:

ian

excuses??? no pal, being realistic here. They crash Stromba's car and he wont get it back, it's pretty simple really isn't it? 197's are ten a penny, go find another 0002 Williams... oh wait, that's impossible :rolleyes:

Insurance or not it cant be replaced, if you look at the number that would suggest it's the first and therefore original RHD Renault Sport Clio Williams. I bet you Tiff takes less agressive lines in the Willy.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
It really should have been the 182 vs. 197. The 197 will woop the williams I reckon. Lets be brutally honest, you have a 1994? car vs 2006. 12 years technology difference makes a big impact.

Its why fifth gear is so f**king shite. They do pointless things. Even a williams vs. 182 vs. 197 would have been better.