ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

incy-spiders Clio 182 turbo

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
a5anesum.jpg

Tis on!!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Long time since any updates, firstly had some little throttle glitches mapped out so it's even better to potter about in now, MOT time came around so modified my cat convertor with a 2.5" outlet to allow it to flow nicely with no bottle necking, actually has made it so much nicer inside the car to drive now. Not really a huge fan of loud exhausts. Decat will obviously go back on when on the track. Next up is the horrible helix paddle clutch. It's been the single worst mod on my Clio so it needs to go, don't get me wrong it did exactly what it's supposed to do but as a daily vehicle it's embarrassing manoeuvring into park spaces with the loud chirping sounds, difficult in traffic and rattling on idle and revving. Spoke to Sachs in Germany and have negotiated a trade price on a http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sac...-10/2000/SRE-Performance-Clutch-Kit::231.html so £380 delivered is a good deal. Able to take 350NM + of torque will be awesome hopefully. Will let you know when I have fitted and report. Could be another option to a better clutch kit other than Helix.... Other than that the 182 turbo is as reliable and awesome as ever! :)

RB Clio 182
Sounds good mate :)

Im having the helix 4 paddle clutch fitted, i have heard mixed reviews, some say its not much different to standard, some say its too grabby.

Im more bothered about it being reliable, which is why i chose one over the organic etc.

Hope its not too bad :D

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
It's been faultless in that respect mate, survived a week at the ring, on it hard! It does tend to drag a little bit every now and again which can make it hard to shift very occasionally.. I just like things to perfect and it's not!

172 turbo 'cup'
Sounds good mate :)

Im having the helix 4 paddle clutch fitted, i have heard mixed reviews, some say its not much different to standard, some say its too grabby.

Im more bothered about it being reliable, which is why i chose one over the organic etc.

Hope its not too bad :D

i've got the helix fitted, mines not much different to standard the only thing I don't like is the chirping sound it makes you do get the odd look off people.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
i've got the helix fitted, mines not much different to standard the only thing I don't like is the chirping sound it makes you do get the odd look off people.

It may also have something to do with my standard pressure plate, who knows. A lot of people said it was a good compromise maybe I was unlucky, that chirping does my head in though, beauty of a Clio goes like f**k but sounds like an old tractor when manoeuvring!! Ha

172 turbo 'cup'
It may also have something to do with my standard pressure plate, who knows. A lot of people said it was a good compromise maybe I was unlucky, that chirping does my head in though, beauty of a Clio goes like f**k but sounds like an old tractor when manoeuvring!! Ha

I've got the standard pressure plate in mine aswell, think most people with the helix have the chirping noise it's not good but I think yours sounds worse than mine it's more when coming down the gears it happens with mine.

Good to see an update [emoji5]️ no planned technical wizardry? New clutch is pretty pricey [emoji85] lets hope it suits your needs. I went with organic and where it's great to use it's noisy, could be down to who fitted it.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Good to see an update [emoji5]️ no planned technical wizardry? New clutch is pretty pricey [emoji85] lets hope it suits your needs. I went with organic and where it's great to use it's noisy, could be down to who fitted it.

Helix? Maybe they don't make a quiet clutch!? Willing to pay over the odds for something more OEM!

RB Clio 182
It's been faultless in that respect mate, survived a week at the ring, on it hard! It does tend to drag a little bit every now and again which can make it hard to shift very occasionally.. I just like things to perfect and it's not!

Cheers mate, ill just have to wait and see :)

172 turbo 'cup'

Is yours the helix organic I did have one was'nt noisy at all like the paddle is.

I dont think it's down to who fitted it just the clutch it's self.

172 turbo 'cup'
@ND04 I'm not sure what brand it is, I just paid for an uprated clutch. The noise was said to be the release bearing as it was new, but the noise is still there.

The noise could be the release bearing but I thought it would be because it's worn,shouldn't be noisy when new I could be wrong though.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
73befd2b6bf794380c968012231ec520.jpg

So it will be the Clios turbo b'day soon, treated it to some spacers, not for any real point apart from looks! Thinking I can't go fast in the winter so I'll make it look fat! Looks really good, 15mm on the rear and 20mm up front, they are BIMECC hubcentric ones so very good quality. Thinking I'm going to swap the 15mm to the front though and get some 10mm stub axle spacers as its a bit scrubby and I don't fancy cutting my car about!

d0ca4ce1e8a01b101c764a37c6cc034b.jpg
bb432e639ac48a141bb9ca59f5757b26.jpg

Car still faultless, leak free and most importantly goes like a C%#T [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Car is currently sat on the ramp in my workshop without an exhaust on and turbo downpipe removed, drove it in yesterday to replace the studs and nuts that hold the downpipe connector on and turbo on to the manifold, have had to re tighten them twice now, once after the ring trip and again a few weeks ago. Was getting a slight blow occasionally so it was time.... Ordered Heico lock washers and new gaskets too, they won't be coming loose again!!

Anyway once I started removing everything I found a black sooty mark on my heat shield further down from where the flange that comes loose is so was a bit concerned, turns out the down pipe is cracked :( thought it sounded worse this time....
c2f7dd39073ad195a12584a33e3cbdc5.jpg
955f0cd75a3e36948d757a5a98b7052a.jpg

Spoke to engine dynamics and it's only covered for six months, they kindly offered to re weld it for me but I think it needs some re-enforcing, this surprised me because I have a brace to support the downpipe which takes all the pressure off of the downpipe/turbo, it must just be a poor design... ( new ED DOWNPIPES ARE THICKER MATERIAL ) Under too much tension at that point, ah well. In the fab shop tomorrow with tig welders and stainless steel!!

Also @DV8 has got us some 10mm rear stub axle spacers from PMS and I have a stalk adaptor after two years!
3b02de478a23098ba4cceb94b43f7299.jpg

Reactions: DV8

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
That's a bit of a bummer about the crack in the pipe, I have to admit this is one of the plus points when I chose to supercharge instead of turbo. I don't have touch anything to do with the exhaust side of things. Still, a man of your calibre will have this sorted. One of my fave cars on the forum

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
That's a bit of a bummer about the crack in the pipe, I have to admit this is one of the plus points when I chose to supercharge instead of turbo. I don't have touch anything to do with the exhaust side of things. Still, a man of your calibre will have this sorted. One of my fave cars on the forum

Thanks mate, yeah I'll get it sorted. As I said it's more annoying considering the belt and braces approach I had to it. Probably would of snapped right off without any bracing!

I was always in two minds to SC or turbo, I like my AC though ;)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Thanks mate, yeah I'll get it sorted. As I said it's more annoying considering the belt and braces approach I had to it. Probably would of snapped right off without any bracing!

I was always in two minds to SC or turbo, I like my AC though :wink:

If I can deal with man flu then no AC in a 2nd car :blush:

At least it didn't happen mid lap on the Nurburgring, is it a downpipe that's made by one and supplied to all companies?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure on that one, I have seen it used a lot though, pretty sure ED get them made by a supplier they have heard of them cracking but put it down to solid engine mounts and no support bracket, when I said I had standard mounts (apart from dog bone) and a brace he was surprised too! Tbf it has taken some abuse :) it wouldn't of stopped me from driving the ring though although does affect AFR readings with a crack before the sensors!

I wanted something to go wrong anyway, was getting bored of not tinkering with it!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I wanted something to go wrong anyway, was getting bored of not tinkering with it!

I know exactly how you feel! Money is burning a hole in ones pocket to go forged and up the power just to give me something to do :smile:

Yes, attributable (imo) to the down pipe cracking and the rest of the exhaust dropping as a consequence.

Obviously that made things worse.

Looking at your picture yours is their 'updated' version - although I was told there wasn't a problem with them cracking.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, attributable (imo) to the down pipe cracking and the rest of the exhaust dropping as a consequence.

Obviously that made things worse.

Looking at your picture yours is their 'updated' version - although I was told there wasn't a problem with them cracking.

Did you have yours braced from the back of the block to the downpipe as an OE vehicle would have? Mine dropped for the first week until I braced it and that made it perfect, well until this crack, still didn't move though :)

Ah okay so mine is an updated version of yours and was told yesterday the new ones again are of a thicker gauge s.steel. I will make it bomb proof!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Na don't do it mate, to much power will ruin it! Any other areas where you could chuck a few £££ at?

Suspension is already on full coilovers front and rear
Brakes are all done bar changing fluid to Super Blue which I have already
New Michelin tyres fitted when I bought the Superleggeras.

Could do with a new windscreen, Steering wheel retrim. A decent wash and wax I guess

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Did you have yours braced from the back of the block to the downpipe as an OE vehicle would have? Mine dropped for the first week until I braced it and that made it perfect, well until this crack, still didn't move though :smile:

Ah okay so mine is an updated version of yours and was told yesterday the new ones again are of a thicker gauge s.steel. I will make it bomb proof!

I wonder what grade material they're using to make these? I guess it's finding a new weak point after everything you're doing

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Suspension is already on full coilovers front and rear
Brakes are all done bar changing fluid to Super Blue which I have already
New Michelin tyres fitted when I bought the Superleggeras.

Could do with a new windscreen, Steering wheel retrim. A decent wash and wax I guess

Steering wheel or forge.... Steering wheel or forge.....!! Tbh a forged higher power SC Clio would be pretty cool

Yep I'll have to have a good think about where and how to strengthen the downpipe, stainless is a sod for cracking at the best of times :(