ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

incy-spiders Clio 182 turbo

RB Clio 182
My downpipe was knocking on the subframe too, I've just had the full system replaced at Powerflow, the downpipe has been twisted and cut with new flanges too, its perfect now and sounds better. The flange of the old downpipe was literally resting on the subframe, really crap design.

All my studs came out which hold the downpipe on apart from two.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
My downpipe was knocking on the subframe too, I've just had the full system replaced at Powerflow, the downpipe has been twisted and cut with new flanges too, its perfect now and sounds better. The flange of the old downpipe was literally resting on the subframe, really crap design.

All my studs came out which hold the downpipe on apart from two.

Mine has never knocked and had been perfect up till now, think I'm going to persevere with what I have got, I know it fits well and if it was properly strengthened I'll be happy! Bit of a pain in the arse though

Trophy Turbo :)
These downpipes have never been a massive issue untill recent, since issues weve sorted our own pipes out made from top quality material made by "one of" the top exhaust manufacturer in the uk. its not shiney and you can brush your hair thro its reflection but its made to last.

weve had 3 cars that the exhaust studs have loosened off all from the same batch of studs that cost £7.32 each. We've managed to work out why and sort the issues out. :) and the new studs and nord lock washers really seem to have worked well!

:)

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
So next up on the ideas front is getting my inlet manifold and downpipe ceramic coated, stop so much heat soaking into the manifold and stop so much heat out of the exhaust.... The guys at performance1coatings.com have given me a price and am considering it, why not!

HBT 172 Cup
Dont use a manifold/turbo gasket, using one constantly needed me to tighten the turbo nuts up. Reemoved it and they all stayed tight.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I never use gaskets when replacing turbo's on anything else, most manufacturers are face fit... The turbo and manifold came from ED pre assembled so didn't touch it

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
With a bad back I just removed the turbo and manifold to replace all the studs, nuts, gaskets and put Heico locking-lock washers on, knew from the start this was going to be massively gay to do but needs to be done... Had to remove all my lovely pipe work and fixings to get at it. Once it was ready to come out I removed the top engine mount for some extra room and found this...
b872fa3a15f3819c937e622ab18d8c04.jpg
:( :( didn't even now that was broken, didn't feel at all sloppy on the road although it's not been very grippy of late with shite weather and shite tyres. Add that to the list £££

c8454d7290281bf8e1f21a3f039e139b.jpg
8418b243d6d9fd6d2d0c1e4008a005d2.jpg
0e4e11fe9df0e9598036cf7e70eb7bae.jpg
0e4f3de6322153262fa874ecfa65b6cb.jpg
d7f229e75e0a1a9ea31fb5f99b37d008.jpg

'Crack' on tomorrow!!

Last edited:

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Today's progress, turbo core removed to get to studs and nuts...
427bc828cab6782cadb0bd3e2efe058f.jpg
369dd4e56d1bcf0821c062e646cef336.jpg

New studs, Heico washers and lock nuts fitted, new gaskets on too...
48adb4e0892615388b6fff5e9c937cad.jpg
17fe46c235177274a2e5061770b684f8.jpg

Hellish tight clearence....
96e32617ec21cc5e9cdcd618b6a7ec1d.jpg

And all back on with some new coolent a pipes...
fa3cac7c536550d4dc82333e2eaee3c5.jpg
161ad7bccd4b214909448eb16ac86798.jpg

Tomorrow the new mount is coming and fingers crossed mate is better to tig up my crack and re-enforce the downpipe :)

Clio 182
Your just simply awesome for doing this, saving money this year to hopefully do mine next year:) very cool, i just joined cliosport and soon fell in love with all these project.. Have fun with it and be carefull lol:)

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
What's he not will be quicker. Wow the list hes come with hahahah.

Chris how did today go? Did you have a happy ending?:)

Ha, not in the way you're thinking!! I can stand straight now so I'm happy in that way! In other news...still waiting on my downpipe but both my tig welding, engineer mates are really ill and pissed off so I'm not troubling them about it until the weekend!

Alright Chris, it's Martin, whitemans mate. Nice to read the build thread behind the car that scared me silly at the ring last year!! Excellent job mate! Looks like I will be in a 182 soon. The z4 just is not the right car for what I need. Hope all is good your end and hopefully I will see you guys at the ring or a trackdays some point this year!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Alright Chris, it's Martin, whitemans mate. Nice to read the build thread behind the car that scared me silly at the ring last year!! Excellent job mate! Looks like I will be in a 182 soon. The z4 just is not the right car for what I need. Hope all is good your end and hopefully I will see you guys at the ring or a trackdays some point this year!

Hello bud!! Cheers :) Awesome, what have you 182 have you got your eye on?? Just got it all back together today, was about to post an update.... Hope to do something this year, maybe we'll meet at Willis again!?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
So car is back on the road and it feels awesome, downpipe has been strengthened a lot and shouldn't crack again!!
55738dcc14d31eb68bb52db9da793407.jpg
055c10be227551a1894a280cc5724849.jpg
dfff4bde2de5cbb91354708dc26d517f.jpg
3179040d8a8d89286f96d3cffb859691.jpg

Also shortened the link pipe between the downpipe and cat, used to sit a tad lower than it should...
d26aadf72be00623b4cda69f8ba1be40.jpg

Fitted my new silenced de-cat which has taken the edge off the noise in the cabin, not as quiet as with the cat on but a big improvement over the un-silenced de-cat, but more importantly the power has been unleashed again, the cat was sapping a fair bit from the low and high end power and the crack was obviously messing about with my AFR.... Result - mega chuffed! Next up headlight restoration, stereo stalk adaptor and stub axle spacers on the rear :) might clean it too!

Last edited:

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I was a bit upset getting my tools out on it, it's the first real problem I've had with it since I built it a year ago! In my eyes a cracked downpipe in a year is pretty shite and it's not really good enough from a decent company [emoji35][emoji35]

Fudge me that down pipes a proper job!

With regards to a 182 I just want a good base that I can out my own stamp on. Track it and eventually turbo it. Your car really got my fwd hatch itch going again. Don't want another honda I have done them to death!

You guys started planning this years trip yet? I only ask because ian is being a bit panicky over insurance so he may not even go this year.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Why's he worried about insurance?? Just incase he swaps ends in the m3? Na mate we have no plans as of yet, Geoff has his wedding in Vegas in September so we're all going to shoot guns, drive desert buggies and other crazy Vegas stuff!!

There are some nice ones still out there mate, good to get a low mileage one :)

That sounds awesome fun!! Did his golf ever get finished?

Ummm well you know what Ian is like, he woke up one morning and decided he needed it. Then he looked into the cost of it and panicked!

Got to flog the z4 then I will definitely be on the lookout!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Golf is in the making, Geoff is getting me parts now, subframe is all built up with eibach 22mm roll bar, new everything including the frame, just got some corrado brackets to mount the 20vt in so plenty to get on with now!!

DV8

Clio 182, Civic EK9

Get on it @Martin251184! I picked up a low mileage 182 as a daily and its an awesome piece of kit!