ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've de-carpeted this morning!
IMAG2134.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Got my cage from Mark Fish today, I went for the full safety devices cage with single removable door bars and removable diagonal and harness bar.
Like this, but in black...
4907.1319471239.jpg

4906.1319471239.jpg

Also I trial fitted my brake bells, tweaked the CSKs for the standard mounting bolts and gave them a lick of black VHT paint. @Cub. @Phase1sr @scooby-93
Now I know they fit I've ordered the rotors from Hi Spec, they should be here around the 2nd/3rd week in January :)
IMAG2223.jpg

Cup In bits
Good progress Tom, good track season ahead for you it seem's. Did you knock the bells up yourself? I'm going to have to fit 4 pots to the race car again to keep up with the Jones'........ what wheels and ET's are you saying this set up will fit behind?

Cheers

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Good progress Tom, good track season ahead for you it seem's. Did you knock the bells up yourself? I'm going to have to fit 4 pots to the race car again to keep up with the Jones'........ what wheels and ET's are you saying this set up will fit behind?

Cheers

Next year should be great if everything goes to plan! I've got some fibreglass doors to fit, I've ordered a fibreglass boot in the group buy and I'll order some polycarbonate windows in the new year. That'll be my weight loss sorted.

Unfortunately I have no fabrication and machining equipment or skills. I got some material off cuts for a good price and I have a friend with access to equipment who machines the bits for me but I have to pay mates rates for his time.

I was only able to get 3 sets made, 1 of which is for me. I only sell stuff at cost so if I don't sell extras I have made for the benefit of forum members then I'm at a loss. The bells for example have been shot peened and anodised which isn't cheap, hence the low numbers.

I've designed them to be standard size. So with a little modification to standard callipers you could use them with 283*26mm rotors. Or the same rotors but with Brembos.

Could you PM me rough prices please mate? Project is coming on great

I'll have to wait until I get the rotors and measure for the right fasteners. I'll get them in higher quantities then to try and keep costs down a bit.

turbo 182
Next year should be great if everything goes to plan! I've got some fibreglass doors to fit, I've ordered a fibreglass boot in the group buy and I'll order some polycarbonate windows in the new year. That'll be my weight loss sorted.

Unfortunately I have no fabrication and machining equipment or skills. I got some material off cuts for a good price and I have a friend with access to equipment who machines the bits for me but I have to pay mates rates for his time.

I was only able to get 3 sets made, 1 of which is for me. I only sell stuff at cost so if I don't sell extras I have made for the benefit of forum members then I'm at a loss. The bells for example have been shot peened and anodised which isn't cheap, hence the low numbers.

I've designed them to be standard size. So with a little modification to standard callipers you could use them with 283*26mm rotors. Or the same rotors but with Brembos.

I'll have to wait until I get the rotors and measure for the right fasteners. I'll get them in higher quantities then to try and keep costs down a bit.
No worries mate no huge rush anyway

Cup In bits
Plans soon good. To a similar spec as my thing... Someone needs to come up with different ideas of weight saving. Won't be long before the composite roofs come about as one try's to gain an advantage from the next.

I could be interested in a set of your bells if they're going spare and you have options for some cheap rotors.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Tom how you finding it with out pas?

Can I ask if the dci rack mounted in the same pas as the 172 rack? I read you mentioned it needs different bolts.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
On the move PAS simply isn't required IMO, there's more feel. I got rather sideways coming out of Old Hall corner at Oulton Park and managed a save no problem. However I wouldn't recommend it for a road car, it makes parking more difficult.

It mounts in the same position but needs a separate but and bolt whereas the standard rack doesn't. Not rocket science, just hard to describe but easy to figure out a solution once you see it!

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
I just removed the bottom bolts from the 172 rack and fitted them with the nuts from the top bolts. Job done :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Started reading this last night and just finished. Really enjoyed reading so far and the project has certainly had some work done!
Cheers :)

It's taken a different route to what I'd originally intended! In hindsight I'd have done things differently and it would have been great to know what I know now when I started!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd better put the photos and videos of the last track day up seeing as its a month ago.
DSC_2730.jpg

DSC_2790.jpg

DSC_3341.jpg

DSC_3367.jpg

DSC_3473.jpg

DSC_3802.jpg

DSC_3719.jpg

DSC_3766.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

Then it got a bit dark...
DSC_0479.jpg

Couple of videos:-

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Vulture mode on :tongueclosed: , how much do you want for the bells and rotors Tom.
Im sure Tom's had a few sets of the bells done mate, he's just waiting on the rotas from Hi-Spec and im waiting on a price once Tom's got the bits. :smile:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I want to punch you. :cry::cry::down::down:
What?
Why? Sad bear face.
How comes Tom?

The reason is we are outgrowing our house, and it either needs a loft conversion and an extension or we rent it out and buy a second house. It's due a remortgage at the end of the year and I want to be in a position to make a decision either way then. So to get our current house ready we need to do a few things and the best way to fund it is to get rid of the car.

I've got a bit of time so I'm in no major rush to sell the car, I'm not letting it go for less than it's worth.

That's a shame. Just read back through the thread, really nice car you have. Was hoping you would be able to join us racing this year.

I know :( however if someone wants to buy a car ready to race this year then this would be ideal for them.

What's next on your list tom

Nothing!

Im sure Tom's had a few sets of the bells done mate, he's just waiting on the rotas from Hi-Spec and im waiting on a price once Tom's got the bits. :smile:

I've got 3 sets including the set I intend to fit on my car. They only suit 8x154mm PCD so max rotor size is 283mm so they are only good for standard callipers or the Clio/Meg Brembos with 280mm brackets.

Perfect even just bells would be fine, as could go for 295mm rotors from Martoon at Reyland

They won't suit that size rotor Neil. I take it your running 300mm discs currently?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Despite the fact its up for sale I'll be carrying on with some parts of it. Otherwise I'll have bits just sitting around :tongueout:

So I had a parcel this morning, I knew what it was which is why I didn't go into work for some overtime! Such excite! Before trying them out I weighed the bell and rotor, 5kg in total. Then after taking the standard disc off I weighed that, 7kg. So a 2kg saving per side :smile:

First off I checked everything lined up. All ok so far :smiley:
IMAG2256.jpg

IMAG2257.jpg

Then I found a couple of M6 nuts and bolts to try it out on the car.
IMAG2258.jpg

And then I thought I'd see if the wheel cleared without any spacers, and I was surprised to see it does! By a hair :sweatsmile:I think there will be a bit more space when I've got the callipers spaced out another 1.6mm with some M14 form B washers. However without spacers the wheels seem quite close to the coilovers so I'll have to check clearance there too.
IMAG2259.jpg

Because the bells are fairly small, or at least the whole bell and rotor assembly is and the wheel design doesn't show much off behind it. The bells and rotors are quite stealthy.
IMAG2261.jpg

Now I know everything fits and what size bolts to get I've ordered all the nuts, bolts and washers in high tensile BZP steel. Stainless was out of the question as I couldn't find the parts in the grade of stainless required.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've got the other 2 sets ready to go now and the bolts etc. will be here tomorrow :smiley:

I'm wondering if I've put mine up for sale too cheap. I've noticed Scott has put his cup up for sale http://www.cliosport.net/threads/hi-spec-172-cup.766353/#post-10618046

Over that mine has a diff, roll centre kit, Brembos with 2 piece discs, PMS shifter, fibreglass doors and tailgate to fit. That's another £4ks worth of stuff.

Reactions: Chi