ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Shagged = Religious - they are very holy

Thank you, I'm here all week!

Shame as you have obviously put a lot of work into it and the Ph1 does look better than a Ph2 IMO.

Obviously not worth welding new sills in or you would have done that I guess.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Had a few good sessions in it at Oulton Park on Friday. Beat my previous best wet lap by 5 seconds but nearly had a moment doing a ton going into druids.

Yesterday I started taking bits off it to put onto the Cup. Kind of a bittersweet moment knowing how well it went on Friday but hopefully it'll be a better car when the Cup is finished.

Foot planted into Druids I hope :wink:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Shagged = Religious - they are very holy

Thank you, I'm here all week!

Lol!...Terrible....

Shame as you have obviously put a lot of work into it and the Ph1 does look better than a Ph2 IMO.

Obviously not worth welding new sills in or you would have done that I guess.

Yeah but all the effort is mainly on bolt on bits, yes its some time and effort swapping bits over but its much more cost effective that doing the sills. I did try finding sills and the fact I couldn't find any was the decider.

Foot planted into Druids I hope :wink:

Yes, that's what kept the back end in check!

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah but all the effort is mainly on bolt on bits, yes its some time and effort swapping bits over but its much more cost effective that doing the sills. I did try finding sills and the fact I couldn't find any was the decider.
Where did you try as I was talking to Adam about them the other day and he said they were available along with rear quarters etc, that was after he told me that shells weren't available anymore like previously thought!!! :grin:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Still have two parked cars next to each other in bits. Its dragging but I just haven't got the time at the moment to get both cars sorted :(

I decided to get some photos of the Ph1 on its last hurrah at Oulton on the 13th.

LHP_7697.jpg

LHP_7815.jpg

LHP_8070.jpg

LHP_7983.jpg

Then the G55 Ginetta came along very rapidly with roughly the same weight, 165bhp more and full race wets plus all the other race car stuff. Quickest thing there by a looooong way.
LHP_7889.jpg

Race Puma needed much to much persuasion to move over
LHP_7985.jpg

Later on it started to dry a little. I think stiffer front springs will help with the roll but I don't want it too stiff on the road. Its on 70N springs now, perhaps 80 or even 90 are in store for going on the cup. PMS rear beam was working well on the back though!
LHP_9845.jpg

LHP_9732.jpg

LHP_9636.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up a set of xenons for the Cup today whilst on a weekend away!

However I'm going to go and look at a different car on Monday...see what I think of it. If I like it then I'll be breaking the cup for spares as well!

182cup & 172 racecar
I'd need the sills as well. I know the rear quarters are available but didn't think the sills were.

I got some sills last year, from a little place in Worcester, can't remember the name of the place, but I just googled it and found them online. About £30 a pair.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Lol!...Terrible....

Yes, that's what kept the back end in check!
I just sent my shell to be weighed in

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Don't know yet, need to swap the flywheel and gearbox over. Might heatwrap the manifold too.

Are you exhaust ports still standard size on your 197 head?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Last weekend I got the engine in after heat wrapping the manifold, got all the suspension and brakes back on, started trial fitting the cage and interior etc. and now I might break the whole thing back down!

Tried a potential new car out yesterday and quite liked it. Very different from the Clio but better for days out with the family, cruising on the motorway and should be as quick if not quicker on track albeit with less excitment and involvement.

I need to mull things over and talk it through with my wife but this could be the end of the road for the Clio :( we'll see.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It was destined to be the replacement but then I had a change of heart and decided Clios weren't really suitable any more.

As Scott has said, worth more in bits.

My first choice was an E46 M3 but put off by the cost of parts and potential failure points I went with the Megane.

It was destined to be the replacement but then I had a change of heart and decided Clios weren't really suitable any more.

As Scott has said, worth more in bits.

My first choice was an E46 M3 but put off by the cost of parts and potential failure points I went with the Megane.

Understandable that it's worth a lot more in bits!

I had just missed the bit where you had decided to move on from Clios completely :)

Will be following the meg thread with interest.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The Clio was beginning to get tiring driving on longer journeys and my boy started outgrowing the rear seats so I made the decision to change whilst both Clios were in bits otherwise I would have been, in the words of Linkin Park, building it up to break it back down.

I'll admit the Megane misses out on some of the good points of the Clio, its not as nimble or chuckable and feels more grown up, but it more than makes up for it in other areas. Had it not already had a hybrid and all the tuning work done I wouldn't even have considered it, that where all the costs are and I feel it wouldn't be quick enough without it.

I've often thought Meganes sound pretty crap tbh! But I love the noises this one makes, with the Forge recirc the turbo chatters away and the Blueflame exhaust sounds great popping on overrun.

It might not be the complete end to Clios though. Currently weighing up options with a friend into going halves on a pure track car/potential race car so looking at M3s, VX220, Clios, Civics etc.