ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It's possibly a bit lower than normal. Doesn't seem to be as bad as yours sounds though. I'll have a better look and get a pic at the weekend.

It does seem to be a lot of weight freely hanging between the downpipe and the centre section hanger though!

Dave182T

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 182 turbo
It's possibly a bit lower than normal. Doesn't seem to be as bad as yours sounds though. I'll have a better look and get a pic at the weekend.

It does seem to be a lot of weight freely hanging between the downpipe and the centre section hanger though!
That would be much appreciated!

Dave182T

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 182 turbo
How long has your ED kit been fitted and running?

Has the mount on the hanger only just started to become a problem?
I fitted it around april and the hanger was only replaced maybe November/December last year. It was always hanging low and stretching the hanger, since i bought the kit new i assumed thats maybe how it was supposed to me. Since the hanger fully went, the downpipe has been hitting off the subframe a fair bit. Ive tried taking it all out and realigning it all but, seems to be the only way it wants to sit on the turbo end.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
:ROFLMAO: I'll give you the matches!

Flames it is then 🔥

Quick question/request, how far down doesnt the link pipe and cat pipe sit on this? Ive got the ED Turbo kit and mines was also a pain to line up and seems to sit very low, to the point its streched and burst the centre exhaust hanger.

Loosen the v band, rotate it to the right angle and then do up the cat gasket. The ED pipe sits at the same location as the 182 manifold did so no issues with the exhaust for us. Sounds very odd what you’re describing as we had absolutely no lateral or vertical tension when putting it on so something else sounds off.

Dave182T

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 182 turbo
Flames it is then 🔥

Loosen the v band, rotate it to the right angle and then do up the cat gasket. The ED pipe sits at the same location as the 182 manifold did so no issues with the exhaust for us. Sounds very odd what you’re describing as we had absolutely no lateral or vertical tension when putting it on so something else sounds off.
I did try this but once the exhaust was lined up perfect there was a gap between the downpipe and the turbo at one side, like its twisting. I only asked as i cant remember how far down the old manifold sat and am aware that the centre exhaust hanger is made of cheese so if its sitting relatively close to how yours it will put my mind at ease.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I did try this but once the exhaust was lined up perfect there was a gap between the downpipe and the turbo at one side, like its twisting. I only asked as i cant remember how far down the old manifold sat and am aware that the centre exhaust hanger is made of cheese so if its sitting relatively close to how yours it will put my mind at ease.
Sounds like your engine mounts are making the engine sit a bit crooked. The v band flanges were flat against one another when it was loosened off as we did come across that issue earlier before the replacement link pipe. The exhaust sits at the normal height on this, parallel to the floor.

To confirm, the entire exhaust does sit completely parallel to the ground. no lower than the original system. I forgot to take pictures though sorry.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
D0786BD7-CFFD-4536-924E-858F33657885.jpeg

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Need to get at least a few local shakedowns done before I venture that far haha! It is on the list though.

Ok! How about Brands Hatch on Monday! I'm there all day, fingers cross for Dry weather.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Thanks for the picture, mines site alot lower are the downpipe to cat join the starts to slope back upwards.

I've got problems with the downpipe too, seems like its twisting and always rubs on the bulkhead. I think this results in the downpipe nuts and studs constantly coming loose also

02 November 2019 - Mapping

Graham joined me for a very early start on Saturday to take the car up to Engine Dynamics for running in and mapping. I loaded the car on to the trailer the night before so all we had to do on Saturday morning was sling the tools/spares into the back of the truck and get the trailer off the drive. We set off at 6am and arrived on time at 07:30 :)

When we got there Andy plugged the car in to give it a check over and found that one of the Lambdas wasn't working. Luckily we'd planned ahead and brought a spare so this was quickly changed over and the car went onto the dyno to start the running in and mapping.

Around lunchtime the car was done and Andy was very pleased with the end result. He mentioned that the boost controller had allowed him to hold onto the power a little more at the top end without bumping up the mid range with stupid amounts of torque. Boost steadily increases from a very low 0.45 Bar to a pretty low 0.52 BAR haha. So it should be pretty safe but still feel progressive right up to the rev limit, which was left at the standard 7200.

I wasn't interested in the pub talk numbers, but nonetheless they are pretty impressive:

245 bhp with 223 ft lbs at 6250 rpm.

It's been a long time in the making for us so it was lovely to see great success. We're going to spend another hour or two on the car to do and oil change and get it MOT ready, then we will properly start the next project to see us through winter... The exact same OCD turbo conversion on Grahams new BG182.

Cheers for reading :cool:

This graph is overlaid agaisnt my previous ITB and 421 cam setup to show the insane differences!

49011951387_c182208866_b.jpg

I didn't get any decent pictures as it was pissing down and we weren't allowed in the dyno room whilst the car was properly running. A couple of pics from through the window though.

49011209053_03393e2c83_b.jpg

49011209028_51170f7faf_b.jpg

Until next time...

Last edited:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Oh and the radio stalk cruise control conversion works...up to 4th gear. Yet to try 5th but promising so far.

We've spent a few hours prepping the car for an MOT over the last week.

I also finally got a chance to give it a quick clean for some insurance photos. It still needs an good polish/wax though and the wheels are actually pretty grim up close so they'll come off when I next get a chance.

49054255272_cdbf43828b_b.jpg

49054038966_f3000b3f54_b.jpg

49054255297_50b19b5c4a_b.jpg

49054255237_f8e6137f96_b.jpg

Does anyone know the size of the O-ring on the map sensor?

Mine has split and I'd like to get one ordered today if I can. (I forgot to measure mine)

Thankings

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Gents, where did you get your bolster protectors from?
I have a genuine Recaro one for the Clio but im after one for the Cayman, and the Recaro ones do not fit the Porsche bucket seats.

I've got some lovely ones in my R, made from the original seat material too :p

I got them off eBay, but unfortunately I think they company stopped making them for some reason. My friend was looking a while back and we couldn't find the seller anywhere!

The ones in the Clio are just cheap universal ones. Velcro goes under the seat cushion and then an adhesive strip sticks to the side of the bucket seat.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I've got some lovely ones in my R, made from the original seat material too :p

I got them off eBay, but unfortunately I think they company stopped making them for some reason. My friend was looking a while back and we couldn't find the seller anywhere!

The ones in the Clio are just cheap universal ones. Velcro goes under the seat cushion and then an adhesive strip sticks to the side of the bucket seat.

I remember seeing them that were made for the GT2/R seats but as you say, seller went AWOL.
Perhaps i'll have to tray and source some Alcantara and get some made. If possible, would you be able to take some pics of the ones in the R and even a few measurements so that i may get some made?
Big ask i know, but would be appreciated if i could even just see how they attach in there :)

I've got a template somewhere as I was going to look into getting them reproduced for other R owners. Finding the material was the hard part.

Do you have me on insta? I can send you some direct pics on there if so...

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a template somewhere as I was going to look into getting them reproduced for other R owners. Finding the material was the hard part.

Do you have me on insta? I can send you some direct pics on there if so...
i don't mate, sorry.
Apologies for dragging your thread down with Porsche chat :D

Bedford GT - 14th December 2019

49228109372_2d2537d5cc_b.jpg

Graham and I booked this trackday to give the car a shakedown and iron out any teething issues. Thankfully there was nothing to note and the car ran faultlessly all day long! Including the journey there and back. It is very refreshing to just start your car in the morning, drive somewhere, enjoy it on track all day long and then drive it home.

It was very wet in the morning, so the road wheels and tyres stayed on (Toyo R1R). The track did dry a little after lunch when the sun came out, but it was still freezing cold and greasy in a few places so we didn't feel the need to change to the AD08Rs. The R1Rs were performing very well and didn't overheat at all.

After lots of fun and plenty of V-Power later it was almost time to go home. On my last session I finally finished off the CL RC6s. These have been on the car for years, through many track days and many winters. They were pretty much metal on metal so we used it as a good excuse to call it a day. I've been so impressed with these pads I've bought exactly the same again (we did have these with us but we were so chuffed with a successful day that we were happy to head off a little early).

The turbo power is very addictive, and extremely different to an ITBd car. It is effortless to gain pace and almost violent when you let off the throttle. Having a full interior with extra sound deadening is incredible too. I used to hate driving my stripped out ITBd car on the road, it always sounded like it was about to fall to bits with a million noises and rattles. It now feels like it could have left the factory this way and is really enjoyable to drive on the road too.

I may swap out my shorter 5th gear for a normal 5th gear at some point because it's simply not needed anymore. The longer 5th would be better for motorway cruising and higher speeds.

There was at least three other Clios on track, was it anyone on here?

Small snippet video to follow soon...

49227880166_0faed731bb_b.jpg

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
One of my favourite builds threads on here, always look forward to reading updates. I like the way you have done the cruise control, I am currently trying to retrofit it to my 172 but struggling to get the simplest parts from Renault as most are not available.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Thanks for sharing. Even thou I couldn’t do it myself It’s just great to see what other cliosporters do in there spare time(y)(y)

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Been on the forum for ages but only recently started reading these build threads. I've read yours right through this morning. Was only about half way through I clicked your the Martin I bought my catcams from and put in my RB. Amazing build thread. How you finding the turbo conversion.

Attachments

• IMG_20191217_203229_002.jpg
    IMG_20191217_203229_002.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 148
One of my favourite builds threads on here, always look forward to reading updates. I like the way you have done the cruise control, I am currently trying to retrofit it to my 172 but struggling to get the simplest parts from Renault as most are not available.

Thanks chap. Nice to know someone reads the updates haha.

Yeah as these cars get older, it does become harder to get parts. You may be better with second hand items from a breakers yard or other forum members!

Thanks for sharing. Even thou I couldn’t do it myself It’s just great to see what other cliosporters do in there spare time(y)(y)

We have a very limited amount of time around work and household jobs but we do try!

Been on the forum for ages but only recently started reading these build threads. I've read yours right through this morning. Was only about half way through I clicked your the Martin I bought my catcams from and put in my RB. Amazing build thread. How you finding the turbo conversion.

Blimey that must have taken you hours!! I just flick through the pictures ha!

Oh yes you must be Simon Shire then! :cool:

The turbo conversion is very very FUN. I always look forward to driving the car now and am actively looking for excuses to use it. Whereas before I used to dread it. It's amazing how some simple creature comforts like carpets, insulation, heaters, electric windows etc can change your view on something so drastically!

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Yeah that's me. I've always planned leaving my carpets etc in. Iove driving mine even at 193 bhp it's good fun but could only imagine how much more fun it could be at 230bhp

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Or at 245bhp :p

They are great fun with cams though, loved mine when I first put CatCams in it.
Wow 254 is impressive. Makes my 192.5 look very slow I'm sure. Starting to wonder if I went the right way with cams but never really wanted to turbo it. I've asked Richard to take me out in his 172 as he's only a mile from me see if that changes my mind.

Wow 254 is impressive. Makes my 192.5 look very slow I'm sure. Starting to wonder if I went the right way with cams but never really wanted to turbo it. I've asked Richard to take me out in his 172 as he's only a mile from me see if that changes my mind.

Yours is in a perfect state now to just use and enjoy it. Have a re think when your belts are due next. But for anything more than cams you have to be prepared to sink thousands and thousands into to do it properly.