ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mondial Blue 172 Cup OEM

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Morning all,

I'm pleased to present this weekend's purchase.

A 2002 172 Cup in Mondial Blue with just over 83,000 miles and easily the cleanest Cup i have seen for a number of years.

You may recognise the car from Cstarby's thread which was then purchased by @Lewigi_69 here in the summer of 2018.

To say i'm pleased is an understatement!! The condition of the car is not dissimilar to my first Cup back in 2007! A real testament to the care and refinement Chris and Lewis bestowed on the car since the end of 2017.

I viewed a couple of Cups around the £3000 mark and they were just a little disappointing, really showing their age with big gaps in service history and poor bodywork. So the search continued and when Lewis' car became available I jumped at the chance. I did pay top money for the car but it really is worth it once you see it in person, not to mention the provenance of the car, even on CS!

The drive home from Somerset Sunday was a real delight and instantly reinforced me the charm of these little cars and why they remain a firm favourite with enthusiast drivers.

The plan is to keep the car for a few years and use it on dry occasions every now and again.

So here it is, pictured on collection and back on the ranch. :)

Tom

20200705_145327.jpg
20200706_213115.jpg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I love a clean OEM cup. Another coat of wax and that's easily an £8k car.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If theres any shoddy work by @Lewigi_69 make sure you point it out 👀😂

Car looks great though! Looking forward to updates on this again after following it through owners.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
I love a clean OEM cup. Another coat of wax and that's easily an £8k car.

Looks good doesn't it.

I'm considering a ceramic coating on it, Lava detailing near Aylesbury are quoting it for me.

This is after the dents are removed from the bonnet and the rear quarter, they're very small but will make the car near 100%.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
The Clio has now taken residence in the garage, there is certainly more free space in there now compared to my m3.

The plan is to have the small dents removed and give it a coat of wax. I think a ceramic coating may be a little excessive at this moment in time.

Managed to find a bookcase for my cleaning kit too. Fits perfectly [emoji41]
454c4d5d924c3f13b4a2bf6cd94982b9.jpg
497a59741eed8016016489bce5bca36b.jpg
e739f9b0dde3de45bc9d18503d7facda.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Just a couple of small updates.

I've been attempting to diagnose the fault with the alarm, it keeps sounding sporadically when locked and have been using the guide online to determine what's causing this.

I also had the dents removed from the B pillar and the bonnet today so the bodywork is now pretty much pristine.

The photos aren't super clear but there was a dent above the cup badge and also a few on the bonnet. The car isn't spotless in these photos incidentally.

Also the front drivers seat is loose and nights tightening from underneath, which isn't ideal and I didn't notice immediately when I picked the car up. Having only driven it three times it hadn't really caught my attention.

The airbag light is also intermittent so any suggestions welcome!

Now in storage in good company.
e9ced58d91f41544924ab9dc1497eecc.jpg
200356b47bd56790377a4f0951f3849f.jpg
1ac3cf371018584e35a080e77ddc0b9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Lovely work Thomas. Glad she has gone to a good home and it will be sorely missed.

Can I just point out before the guns are turned towards me that a couple of issues I never got around to resolving but were present when I purchased the car is the intermittent alarm fault (although this seemed to dissappear once I had fitted a new battery) and the drivers seat bolts were slightly loose on the inner side by the tunnel. From memory our boy Chris had Recaros in there before reinstalling the OEM seats ahead of me purchasing the vehicle. Unfortunately such as the nature of French car design it was a complete arse to access the bolts on the inner tunnel without removing the exhaust, as such this was once job that never got ticked off the list during my bolt tightening / replacement excercise. It did pass the recent MOT though without issue so assume it is not a big problem but Thomas has been giving me some sporting flak to remind me that I am not infallible! To labour the point, when I bought the car I didn't anticipate having to bugger about correcting poor workmanship and removing the exhaust would have been a step too far. That being said the car is 99% mint and during my ownership I fitted new injectors, ht lead, and plugs having developed a misfire one evening on the way home from work. It was also cleaned to a very high standard on a bi-weekly basis. Since then she had been flawless and is extremely rapid despte being circa 15 years old. An appreciating classic that offers a spirited drive like no other, I am sure you'll enjoy it a lot :)

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Oh also the intermittent ABL which I suspect is an additional effect of the seat removal / reinsertion. This is something else that I had been unaware of when originally buying the car. I did notify Thomas of all these issues before he bought the car, a level of courtesy that wasn't afforded when purchasing the vehicle myself, hence my somewhat sour demenour on the original progress thread (which was subsequently deleted as it a little too bitter for some to swallow despite my greivances being perfectly reasonable). Anyway onwards and upwards no hard feelings!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Oh also the intermittent ABL which I suspect is an additional effect of the seat removal / reinsertion. This is something else that I had been unaware of when originally buying the car. I did notify Thomas of all these issues before he bought the car, a level of courtesy that wasn't afforded when purchasing the vehicle myself, hence my somewhat sour demenour on the original progress thread (which was subsequently deleted as it a little too bitter for some to swallow despite my greivances being perfectly reasonable). Anyway onwards and upwards no hard feelings!

Careful. If I got out of bed the wrong side this morning, I could well interpret that as discussing moderation. Which comes with an immediate temporary ban....

Suggest you leave it where it was last time, moderated and in the bin, instead of ruining the new owners project thread.

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Careful. If I got out of bed the wrong side this morning, I could well interpret that as discussing moderation. Which comes with an immediate temporary ban....

Suggest you leave it where it was last time, moderated and in the bin, instead of ruining the new owners project thread.

I think you've misinterpreted the intention old boy, I am merely trying to be perfectly transparent here. Thomas and I are good friends and he knows that I am not ruining his thread, just laying out some facts to allay any crictism I am recieve (in light of Louis' comment above, albeit he was clearly joking). Oh and just to be perfectly clear it is of zero consequence if I get banned or not as I no longer own a Clio so I will leave that decision to the powers that be. All the best.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I think you've misinterpreted the intention old boy, I am merely trying to be perfectly transparent here. Thomas and I are good friends and he knows that I am not ruining his thread, just laying out some facts to allay any crictism I am recieve (in light of Louis' comment above, albeit he was clearly joking). Oh and just to be perfectly clear it is of zero consequence if I get banned or not as I no longer own a Clio so I will leave that decision to the powers that be. All the best.

Ok. All the best.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Uh oh.

The bolts are easy to tighten for the seats too, just need an extension and theres a hole in the exhaust heatshield providing you access.
Chuck some copper slip on them whilst you're there to save aggro in the future.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Uh oh.

The bolts are easy to tighten for the seats too, just need an extension and theres a hole in the exhaust heatshield providing you access.
Chuck some copper slip on them whilst you're there to save aggro in the future.

Thanks Louis. I vaguely remember how to access these from when I removed my track car interior.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
I've just brought the Cup home following a couple of days with Ryan at Lava Studios near Aylesbury.

I'm blown away by what he's done!

I'll update the thread fully with before and after photos but for now the Cup has been put back in the garage for winter with a good coating of Bouncer's wax.

I love this car!
f6be9c1905469f4a6a95e475ca866543.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Where did 11 months go :oops:

I haven't been able to use the car due to other commitments, hence no update here.

The car remains stored inside and I'm actually contemplating selling her to make space.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Despite the desire to keep this car 'forever' and knowing full well that an example in this condition will be very difficult to replace as I have come to terms with the fact that being 6'7" doesn't lend itself well to driving a Clio 172, so I think it's time we part ways sadly.

With the intention of listing the Cup, preparations have begun.

I removed the car from dry storage - where it had remained since October 2020 when Ryan at Lava Studios carried out a machine polish and wax coating.

Firstly the air bag / SERV lights were illuminating intermittently. A code reader revealed that is was probably the steering squib / clock spring. A replacement was sourced and installed. No more lights or codes, which was a great result.

The Clio was then treated to a genuine oil filter, some Renault spec Castrol oil and an MOT. She flew through with zero advisories which was another result!

A legal sized number plate was installed as the small one which was fitted had delaminated slightly.

The mileage is now 83,610, just serviced and 12 months MOT.

I snapped some photos earlier, the wax coating is still performing beautifully, it was a real pleasure to wash.

As the car has remained inside, in a controlled environment it required very little effort to clean.

A quick snow foam to loosen the dust, followed by the usual 2 buckets and finally a gentle dry off with a plush towel simply pulled across the panels. Glass, interior wiped, tyres dressed and we were done

20211106_110754.jpg

20211107164605_IMG_0439.JPG
20211107164633_IMG_0440.JPG
20211107164651_IMG_0441.JPG
20211107164720_IMG_0442.JPG
20211107165147_IMG_0452.JPG
20211107165319_IMG_0456.JPG
20211107165511_IMG_0459.JPG
20211107165626_IMG_0461.JPG
20211107170518_IMG_0471.JPG

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
I am also pleased to report that following a charging cycle with a Ctek battery conditioner and following the installation of the replacement airbag squib has resulted in no alarm issues. Coincidental? Maybe, or linked?- possibly.

cliocollins

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB's RB & F56 jCW
I’d be interested to hear what you’d like for this, feel free to PM if you’d prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Looks proper that, how much is it going up for?
Hi Alastair. The Cup market is an interesting place. The other cars I looked at when I bought this one were around ~£3000 and were not good examples with poor maintenance history, peeling lacquer, questionable resprays and all over 100k miles. This is why I spent the money on getting this one, as Starby had invested around £1,000 on it, previous to that the belts were done and more recently Lewis detailed it to the hilt. So I could have parted with £3000 for a rough car but ended up spending that again to get it right.

Based on what I've spent on the car, the condition, provenance and what it owes me I would like to see £6,500 for it. Compared to the 'other cars' I looked at this would make my car good value, as either a turn key car to enjoy or a car you could put away. Some might think I'm ambitious with that price but I've seen what else is out there.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
I was thinking the same. For 6500 I think it needs a coolant flush. 👍🏻

Blimey lads, give me a break! I thought I was doing well completing all of the above jobs, taking some photos and posting them all within the space of a week!

Coolant - yes fine. I can and will have it changed but the photos I posted are of how the car sits today, with only the above jobs completed. It's also worth remembering this isn't an advert but simply an update to my thread.

I had a good chat with a prospective buyer on the phone last night for 30 minutes and as discussed with them I am happy to carry out work that may be required to make sure the car is spot on for the next owner. However, new suspension, brakes, fluids, a years MOT - I don't think the car really wants for anything.

Admittedly I did roll my eyes at the coolant comments - the photos were taken at 20 mins before sundown with a high ISO and long exposure, so it's funny to think that someone can gauge the health of the engine's coolant from across the internet - especially as it was replaced ~10k miles ago.

I guess if comments on the colour of the coolant are my only worry that's easily solved.

Blimey lads, give me a break! I thought I was doing well completing all of the above jobs, taking some photos and posting them all within the space of a week!

Coolant - yes fine. I can and will have it changed but the photos I posted are of how the car sits today, with only the above jobs completed. It's also worth remembering this isn't an advert but simply an update to my thread.

I had a good chat with a prospective buyer on the phone last night for 30 minutes and as discussed with them I am happy to carry out work that may be required to make sure the car is spot on for the next owner. However, new suspension, brakes, fluids, a years MOT - I don't think the car really wants for anything.

Admittedly I did roll my eyes at the coolant comments - the photos were taken at 20 mins before sundown with a high ISO and long exposure, so it's funny to think that someone can gauge the health of the engine's coolant from across the internet - especially as it was replaced ~10k miles ago.

I guess if comments on the colour of the coolant are my only worry that's easily solved.
Are you sure the Coolant was replaced only 10k miles ago? It does look minging to be fair mate.

I was criticizing you (too much) mate :) . I think that asking top dollar for any car is going to attract such comments. Yip, the fact that the colour f the coolant is the only thing people are talking about has to be a good thing.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Are you sure the Coolant was replaced only 10k miles ago? It does look minging to be fair mate.

I was criticizing you (too much) mate :) . I think that asking top dollar for any car is going to attract such comments. Yip, the fact that the colour f the coolant is the only thing people are talking about has to be a good thing.

Cheers Dave, see link here...

Perhaps a full flush wasn't carried out. I will get it tested and changed accordingly.

Tom