ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 182ff track car build (so far)

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
AST standard track setup is 90N front, 110N rear which is 500lb and 600lb.
That is what AST recommended for me.. But being old my reflexes arent capable of a twitchy rear end so i choose 90/90. But in saying that i have been suffering a little understeer , which after having a conversation with Simon at the Autosports show in January, i've now been experimenting with raising the rear ride height slightly , increased my rear tyre pressure 2 psi above the front, 2 clicks higher on the rear dampers than the front and im pretty happy with the adjustments im making.. The idea of the harder rear is to help keep the weight over the front axle and rotate the rear ,(but you probably already know that) In hindsight i should have trusted AST'S advice and gone with 90/110..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

That is what AST recommended for me.. But being old my reflexes arent capable of a twitchy rear end so i choose 90/90. But in saying that i have been suffering a little understeer , which after having a conversation with Simon at the Autosports show in January, i've now been experimenting with raising the rear ride height slightly , increased my rear tyre pressure 2 psi above the front, 2 clicks higher on the rear dampers than the front and im pretty happy with the adjustments im making.. The idea of the harder rear is to help keep the weight over the front axle and rotate the rear ,(but you probably already know that) In hindsight i should have trusted AST'S advice and gone with 90/110..

I cant comment on having cold semi slicks on the back but mine is not twitchy at all. The whole car becomes loose near the limit not just the rear or front.. (Private roads)

Granted Im 1060kg half tank of fuel with me edit: 1060+70kg (me)! But I think Im 6-7 clicks from soft on the rears, if I went to 2 clicks say it would be like a boat. Front Im 4 from soft but thats road setting as bumps are no fun after that, Ive set the fronts to max once, darty is an understatement! This is why I want some valve changes done on the fronts..

Last edited:

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I cant comment on having cold semi slicks on the back but mine is not twitchy at all. The whole car becomes loose near the limit not just the rear or front.. (Private roads)

Granted Im 1060kg half tank of fuel with me. But I think Im 6-7 clicks from soft on the rears, if I went to 2 clicks say it would be like a boat. Front Im 4 from soft but thats road setting as bumps are no fun after that, Ive set the fronts to max once, darty is an understatement! This is why I want some valve changes done on the fronts..
My car last weighed (last year) was 980kg with half a tank.. So I'm probably roughly the same.. On track I'm now running A048 or R888r ( Track/weather dependent) at 30psi front 32psi rear hot .. 7 clicks front 9 clicks rear.. I find that setup to be very stable and some people say that have followed me that my car looks planted..

Edit: my car is lighter than yours..haha[emoji23]

Last edited:

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
My car last weighed (last year) was 980kg with half a tank.. So I'm probably roughly the same.. On track I'm now running A048 or R888r ( Track/weather dependent) at 30psi front 32psi rear hot .. 7 clicks front 9 clicks rear.. I find that setup to be very stable and some people say that have followed me that my car looks planted..

Edit: my car is lighter than yours..haha[emoji23]
Why are your rears higher pressure than your fronts when the rear is lighter?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Why are your rears higher pressure than your fronts when the rear is lighter?
After taking on board some advise from both Polleysports and Simon, both suggested by running a slighty high pressure on the rear would help my particular situation, as in to help rotate the car and dial out my understeer..

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Sorry dad, I was thinking about next trackday I'm going to take the thermal laser from work with me so I can see what the crack is.
Ive bought this to have a play with
f8d22b0c7adbda1f5db692749f9bed82.jpg

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Race proven.

In the wet you'll want to revert to a more neutral balance, unless you're a god driver.
In the wet ive been dialing everything down to as soft as poss with the emphasis of getting more grip to the arse end..

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Sorry dad, I was thinking about next trackday I'm going to take the thermal laser from work with me so I can see what the crack is.

IR thermometer will only tell you surface temps.

I use the Longacre pyrometer, it's not cheap but it gives accurate temps quick.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
In the wet ive been dialing everything down to as soft as poss with the emphasis of getting more grip to the arse end..

Yeah that's the way to go mate.

You need compliance in the wet.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
What wets do you all run??
I've been using Uniroyal RS3.. And they seem to be quite good as long as there is standing water. As soon as a dry line appears they overheat really quickly. I just pull in and swap to R888r on those damp days.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Ilya (pule333) ran yoko A052 last time we were out at Bedford in the torrential rain and they seemed alright.. Although he did drive my car with RS3 on and said my car felt more stable than his..

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Are they wets?
Well no they're not.. But I was at Brands on a very wet day and some honda drivers that race in a Tintop series were using them and said how good they were in the wet, so thats why Ilya tried them. TBF they weren't bad.. You know his car and how mental Ilya is and he was doing ok on them..