ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Perfected and finished - Inlet manifolds

After weeks and weeks of work and trials which have turned into months, the most cost efficient mod has just got that tiny bit better.

After recieving so many orders, i was just physically unable to carry out the work without shutting down the rest of my business and the manifolds had to be done some other way, and i sure as hell didnt trust anybody else to do it as i've never seen comparable quality.

The only step left was CNC manufacture.

It took redesign after redesign to get the CAD drawing spot on, and after that we had to account for all the different batch castings currently on the market as they differ so much. This meant testing on every single incarnation of manifold core from 1999 to present day, including the hallowed 'RS' unit.

After all the work and testing we have come up with a design and process that allows us to turn around manifolds extreemly quickly and efficiently. With the use of CAD design we were able to generate the best blend of matching and blending to yeild the best gains possible. The design has changed and it would be impossible to generate the accuracy by hand without grinding VERY slowly and being an absolute god with cutter control, and even then you would find quite large discrepancies in the work. The design we ended up with was the result of CFD analysis and allowed us to generate a profile that aids flow control greatly. Infact, the actual perfect design requires material to be added to the casting so there are areas which are not touched as they are already 'oversize', and you will see this vary with batch casting used.

Enough of the babbling and more with the pics.

Stock Head face mating flange:

Stock 172 early phs 2
SNC10735.jpg

SNC10738.jpg

F4R 'RS' component
SNC10736.jpg

SNC10739.jpg

AWT CNC manifold
SNC10741.jpg

SNC10743.jpg

Stock 'crushed' gasket (dimentions as installed)
SNC10744.jpg

Actual head
SNC10747.jpg

As you can see the dimentions of the finished product match exactly, and still retain a 20 thou (0.5mm) step down as i have always advocated.

Plenum to manifold flange:

Stock 172 early phs 2
SNC10748.jpg

SNC10750.jpg

F4R 'RS' component
SNC10749.jpg

SNC10752.jpg

Notice the bumps, these are present on runners 1 & 4 and are also present on latter 172's and on 182's.

AWT CNC manifold
SNC10742.jpg

SNC10745.jpg

Stock plenum - manifold gasket
SNC10746.jpg

This one is uncrused, but it reduces in cross section by 0.5mm. Plenum/manifold match is perfect as the step down is generated in the plenum.

Price is near unaffected at £153.5+vat, and is a bargain for the precision and quality presented, considering countless midnight sessions were spent trying to get it spot on.

We have 30 sets in stock so can finally meet demand! :D

I'm one happy bunny!

If anybody wants to contact, please email me at ben@angel-works.co.uk as my PM box is forever getting full when i dont monitor it.

Lol, i had a bet with someone that the first question would be 'how much power'.

Gains will still be in the region of 8-13bhp depending on which cylinder head/ex manifold combination your car happens to be stuck with (heads are CNC finished as stock but renault do use a few diff programs and core head castings), along with the quality of ring seal your particular engine has from its running history.

But to put it in simple english, if your going to get a gain from any manifold mod, this is the one that will give you the most.

I just happy that i no longer have to spend hours doing them by hand! lol

ITB BG 182
when can i come see you then? Plus would you be able to polish the exterior of the pleniun an the other thingy for engine display?

182 cup
Ben your a :star: , now get back in that workshop and sort out the new go fast gizmo/thingy that you promised us.

Dirty E91
How long does the work take? I take it is a swap out procedure?

Oh, and how much for fitting?

Lol, i had a bet with someone that the first question would be 'how much power'.

Gains will still be in the region of 8-13bhp depending on which cylinder head/ex manifold combination your car happens to be stuck with (heads are CNC finished as stock but renault do use a few diff programs and core head castings), along with the quality of ring seal your particular engine has from its running history.

But to put it in simple english, if your going to get a gain from any manifold mod, this is the one that will give you the most.

We all know there's a back log for bookings , but how much due you charge ben ????

Clio 172 mk2
Good work:)

I take it you supply your CNC manifolds on an exchange basis.

May have to get this done soon

Turbos.
Nice one Ben.

Will you be doing a drive in/drive out service? I wouldn't mind getting mine done on my next service.

We all know there's a back log for bookings , but how much due you charge ben ????

Fitting is £40 additional.

Sweet work :cool:

For £40 fitting, I'd get down there and get it done - Ben's workshop is probably cleaner that your kitchen! lol

Plus you can drive the B660 while you're in the area :evil:

Whats the hallowed 'RS' unit?

Is it just a slightly different manifold Renault produced as they honed their manufacturing process through the 172/182 production run?

Must admit, alot of that went straight over my head. Sounds good though! :)

Whats the hallowed 'RS' unit?

Is it just a slightly different manifold Renault produced as they honed their manufacturing process through the 172/182 production run?

Must admit, alot of that went straight over my head. Sounds good though! :)

The RS unit came on some road cars, but is a renaultsport item you can buy, its just cast with larger runners and more accurately.

random, some have it, some dont.....probably just put them on as and when the batch castings were running low for the normal manifolds etc.

106 GTi
Once you have done your stuff to them Ben does it matter which one you start off with ?

I got all excited then I thought you had finished the 'other' thing.

Good work though. You dont see any of the the other 'tuners' doing any real engine developement like this.

2005 Nissan Navara
Good effort Ben

^^^its hardly real engine development on the scheme of things! Its a process which ensures c**k on results every time with minimum man hours (after writing the programs).

R

rich[182]

Is their a refundable surcharge for the exchange basis ? I'd prob want one shipping to RSTuning for fitment their at the same time as their remap, then have the existing one returned afterwards, Is it just £180ish on basis the old one is returned immediatley afterwards ?
Thanks

Good effort Ben

^^^its hardly real engine development on the scheme of things! Its a process which ensures c**k on results every time with minimum man hours (after writing the programs).

true

but whos the competition ktec gdi yozzasport....

Not including you of course ;) you just lack the profile of some of the other companies that get bigged up on Cliosport.

2005 Nissan Navara
but whos the competition ktec gdi yozzasport....

Not including you of course ;) you just lack the profile of some of the other companies that get bigged up on Cliosport.

On Cliosport, yes maybe my profile is lesser than others...which is a shame since my skills out-shine the "others" LOL

Black 172 MK2
So how long does the process take, ie can people who have shined their plenhams still come down and get it all done in a day?

197 f1
this might be a silly question but do you get the plenum and the bit under it or just the bit under the plenum which the fuel rail cover attaches to thanks