ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RACELAND COILOVER DISCUSSION THREAD

clio 182 cup
Thinking of getting a set but have questions first:
For those of you that noticed a good improvement over standard, was your old suspension f**ked / how many miles had been done on it?

I've got a 182FF with cup packs and 60k on the clock.

Cheers

I just brought and fitted a set 2 my 182 cup. 32k miles and the shocks were as new. I think theyre a great step up. The only thing that put me off buying then go the 1st place was that i didnt want i stupidly hard ride but theyre the perfect compromise between comfort and performance. I know a lot me people were against buyin cheap coils but bear in mind (and i hate to say it) that german 'cheap crap' is pretty much on par with british 'quality'. These, regardless of price, are good coilovers.

172 with k-tec sound
i will echo that mate, had these on a while now and i love them, love the height love the ride and love the handling, cant fault them tbh.

I have these on my car now. Too early for feedback until I've allowed them to settle but I must admit the qaulity of these items have impressed me. Even at £249 they are still a good buy. I've come from H&Rs that have died after 65k miles.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I have these on my car now. Too early for feedback until I've allowed them to settle but I must admit the qaulity of these items have impressed me. Even at £249 they are still a good buy. I've come from H&Rs that have died after 65k miles.

whaaaaaat???? :rolleyes:

172 Cup
I have been driving on these for best part a week now and has made me realised how bad the shocks were on the car beforehand' standard ones that had done 80k. Best of all for me is that the annoyiong rattle/bump from the OS front of the car which has plagued me since I owned the car has gone. I had tried the stur top washer fix previously and that hadn't made a difference.

Have got about 55ish 'threads' below the locking nuts, may have to raise it a tad as I have notice it scrubbing occasionally on the small bump in the plastic wheel arch that other people have commented on. This evening I covered them with waxoil having previously worked in some copper grease on the threads. I live right on the coast so this is the only way I am likely to keep them fairly shiney overtime. My intention was to loose the locking nut on the rear part where the spring seats to get another cm or so drop at the back but over the past week it seems to have dropped more so am hapy to leave it as is. This weekend I will need to approximately set up the camber on my garage floor as at the moment I have loads of negative probably 4/5 deg negative though I am due new front tyres so don't mind them taking the wear. Am going to shove car in gargage to get camber properly set up in about a months time.

All in all I am very happy with them. I've never had coilovers on a car before so have no grounds for comparrasin, only having Eibach springs on my Lupo GTi and Fiat Coupe 20VT. They are certainly a much better ride than my standard set up but as said they were pretty gone. Maybe my sore backs after longer journeys will clear up now! :)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
excuse my stupidity, but how the fcuk do you adjust the rears? I've had the car jacked up and tried using the c spanners provided, but just cannot turn the collars. I take it the handle sticks to the right and i push towards the front of the car? Its almost as if something is seized and i'm reluctant to take a hammer to it....

Megane dci 130
All I do is drop off the rear shocks and let the presure off the springs. Then just adjust them by hand (not with spanners). Wind the collar all the way down for lower and all the way up for higher.

172, Tiguan
5k on mine now and still no problems. Keep messing around with the ride height as well as I go between 15" and 16" wheels and new an old tyres. Back down to 53 at the front with only slight scrubbing round the works multi storey.

The back is an arse to adjust, but jack the car up and loosen the small allen key bolt. You can adjust using the C spanner and a rubber mallet.

Still the £160 bargain of the decade. LOL @ the £249 price.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
5k on mine now and still no problems. Keep messing around with the ride height as well as I go between 15" and 16" wheels and new an old tyres. Back down to 53 at the front with only slight scrubbing round the works multi storey.

The back is an arse to adjust, but jack the car up and loosen the small allen key bolt. You can adjust using the C spanner and a rubber mallet.

Still the £160 bargain of the decade. LOL @ the £249 price.

Where did you get yours from then?

03 RS clio 172 flameR
had mine over the 1000 mile mark. had a big long think, and i honestly cannot say a bad thing about them. they really really are the bargin of the decade.

2002 172 cup
The photos I promised ages ago.

Before when it looked like a tractor.

mr2blankplate9.jpg

mr2blankplate7.jpg

After with no rubbing 49 threads front 8mm raised back. excuse the pics taken on my phone and sorry but the wife took the first photos hence hoggin the lime light with her jap scrap.

DSC00385.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 182
£160??!! Where from?!
On ebay before K-tec started to sell them. Not avalible on ebay anymore, who knows why. :rolleyes:

Got mine installed. They (Renault service) fooked my setings (the way i left coilovers) so it sitts lower than it should. I'll rise rear for about 1-1,5cm and 0,5-1cm front. Left front tire rubbs when i go right (fast). Guess it's lower than 50 threads.
Overall first impression is that they are little harder than original (first owner hardened my original shocks) almost no more body roll. When I rise it little (and when the rain stops falling :/ ) i'll test it on few turns on private road to see if they do any good to handling not only to styling. :nono:
23609_1353432723104_1450015164_920511_6266707_n.jpg

Sorry for my bad English. :eek:

172 with k-tec sound
just raised my rears a little 5mm or so, as they are settling i will have a play with the fronts as id like them lower, im 54 threads at the fronts at the mo.
i have noticed since i raised the rears the ride feels stiffer and the car handles in the twisties like a dream, somehow adopting the nose down stance makes the car feel better in the corners? anway a few pics.

Attachments

• BILD0018.JPG
    BILD0018.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 114
  • BILD0020.JPG
    BILD0020.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 94
  • BILD0022.JPG
    BILD0022.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 123
  Phase 1 172
After much thinking about coilovers for the past few weeks even before i had purchased the car. i was reading reviews on what to buy for a phase 1 172. i tried my hardest to ignore the racelands and go with common sence and buying something like the konigsports.

after reading reviews on the racelands and members posts regarding them, it was to hard to ignore and i bit the bullet and ordered myself i set from ktec which were delivered the next day which was spot on perfect service.

i will be honest i have fitted these coilovers to a 6n polo a month or so ago and was impressed with the quality, just wasnt sure what they would be like on an RS clio, fitting them today i gained the eagerly awaited answer and i must say i am very impressed and these are certainly bargain of the century.

i can honestly say hand on heart that these are superb value for money, and a brilliant coilover... i too was very sceptical and wondered what the hell i was doing going for such a cheap coilover, but now in hindsight i am very glad i did. the ride is comfortable and i still have plenty of grip even in the wet, i did use it spiritedly (on private road of course :) ) and those who **** these coilovers off. should generally think otherwise.

all in all a great buy and highly recomended from first impressions :)

Clio 182
This Raceland coilies are good. It's not to harsh and car looks cool. Shocks seems fine, they are little harder then stock. But if you ask me spring are too soft. I lifted car to 58 threads and front left tire still rubbs when i push it to the limit in right turn. If i lift it a little more it'll be almost like stock and only difference to stock would be harder shocks. Car looks good but for serious trackday/fast road they don't do any good. They arent any better than stock and (tbh car also doesnt drive any worse) only fault that seems anoying is this rubbing. I'd recommend them to for someone who wants lower stance and dont race his car or use it only on road. Or for someone with old stock suspension.
Fyi I had Nissan 100NX Gti on H&R springs (with hardened shocks) and 200SX S13 on Tein springs (also with 10% hardened shocks) so guess i know few things about handling and difference when you change springs, shocks...
I decided that i'll go for cup or eibach proline springs. I'll see if anyone here is willing to send used springs to Slovenia.
molim.gif

Last edited:
  Ph 1 172
well had my first day out on mine today and im well impressed, ride seems still soft when cruising around, but push it and it seems to firm up with much less body roll!!! like said if you want track use dont bother! but if your like me and want lower than 30mm go for these, ill get some pics up soon of mine! and is everyones rubbing on a phase 2 172/182 as my phase 1 is 60 threads and no rubbing at all still can go lower without rubbing

Monaco 172
just raised my rears a little 5mm or so, as they are settling i will have a play with the fronts as id like them lower, im 54 threads at the fronts at the mo.
i have noticed since i raised the rears the ride feels stiffer and the car handles in the twisties like a dream, somehow adopting the nose down stance makes the car feel better in the corners? anway a few pics.

im looking into getting these and i must say your car looks AWESOME on them, pretty much awesome in general tbh :)

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Just ROFL. At those saying that these are the same, or no worse than standard (although they apparently offer less body roll), but saying they are no good for track.......

Does that mean the standard setup is not good enough for track? I guess the 10 years or so since the first 172 RS Clio has been around has been a waste of time fr those who have had a track day using the standard setup.

Ph 1 172
Just ROFL. At those saying that these are the same, or no worse than standard (although they apparently offer less body roll), but saying they are no good for track.......

Does that mean the standard setup is not good enough for track? I guess the 10 years or so since the first 172 RS Clio has been around has been a waste of time fr those who have had a track day using the standard setup.

no not saying they are better than standard but worse on track what i am saying is that if your a hardcore track day fan then you will be able to get a more exact setup and stiffer setup on higer end priced coilovers that have adjustable damping and what not(where as racelands are fixed)!!! these are just as good as standard and do offer less body roll from what i have driven so far! prefer them over standard setup on my phase 1

Clio 182
Yeah righ. :rolleyes:
I've been on track with original setup and i can say that original setup works great. Raceland would have to be rised on 59, 60 or more threads that it wouldnt rubb. I have them on 58 and it still rubbs if i REALLY push it. Not on normal driving conditions. I guess i should lift it for 2 threads and should be fine.
Its just that springs arent much harder then stock if you ask me so when you lower your car "too much" (>59 threads) and you wanna race with it it WILL rubb. But if you leave it almost on stock height they would work just like normal setup, nothing wouldn't rubb, car would be little more stiffer. But for those who wants to be low and also drive on tracks this setup wouldnt work.

R19 f7p
I bought Raceland coilovers for my R19 16v. They are exellent for the money - £165. I also think they are too soft for track car, but for everyday car is ok. More stability than stock R19 16v suspension and looks great.
Before Raceland, cheapest coilovers were about £350-400. :nono:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Counted my threads yesterday, 47! But tbh I adjusted by using a tape measure! Just fyi double check your driveshafts arent rubbing anywhere. It'll be fine at a standstill but on cornering mine clearly have been, especially at the nearside. I'd say due to roundabouts. The car is now sitting at the same height as sportlines and Im much happier with it. TBH I'm gonna be buying sportlines and selling the racelands on in a wee while anyway.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What is the smallest amount these will lower a clio? I don't want to go too low, something around the same as the Eibach Sportlines would be ideal, but they were a real poor match with the OE dampers so the ride was poor and crashy.

These appear to be a poosibility as there's not much out there for a cup'd 182

Counted my threads yesterday, 47! But tbh I adjusted by using a tape measure! Just fyi double check your driveshafts arent rubbing anywhere. It'll be fine at a standstill but on cornering mine clearly have been, especially at the nearside. I'd say due to roundabouts. The car is now sitting at the same height as sportlines and Im much happier with it. TBH I'm gonna be buying sportlines and selling the racelands on in a wee while anyway.

What does this equate to when measuring from the ground to edge of wheel arch ?

I have also found this online which may be a bit better than the grease (which grit etc sticks to) that people are using at the moment to protect the threads from corrosion.

It is a dry PTFE lubricant.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trend-Trendic...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item19b5e5c7a3

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
no not saying they are better than standard but worse on track what i am saying is that if your a hardcore track day fan then you will be able to get a more exact setup and stiffer setup on higer end priced coilovers that have adjustable damping and what not(where as racelands are fixed)!!! these are just as good as standard and do offer less body roll from what i have driven so far! prefer them over standard setup on my phase 1

I never suggested you did :S Sorry if it somehow came across that I was.

Yeah righ. :rolleyes:
I've been on track with original setup and i can say that original setup works great. Raceland would have to be rised on 59, 60 or more threads that it wouldnt rubb. I have them on 58 and it still rubbs if i REALLY push it. Not on normal driving conditions. I guess i should lift it for 2 threads and should be fine.
Its just that springs arent much harder then stock if you ask me so when you lower your car "too much" (>59 threads) and you wanna race with it it WILL rubb. But if you leave it almost on stock height they would work just like normal setup, nothing wouldn't rubb, car would be little more stiffer. But for those who wants to be low and also drive on tracks this setup wouldnt work.

not sure what the rolling eyes are for :(. You obviously felt you needed to respond, but I am not sure of the point in your reply, it's just 'general' info.

In all honesty, if anoyne is interested in some 'serious track action' (whatever that may be :S), then I would doubt they would be loking in a thread about budget coilovers.

These have been used on track and I don't recall hearing any complaints, but I assume that means it wasn't 'serious' track action. Mine are off the car now (it's now the girlfriends car), but if I decided to take the car on a track day, i'd put them back on.

Clio 172
Fitted my racelands today, im pretty pleased with them tbh, the only issue I have with them is I get slight scrubbing on the drivers side front when cornering (and not at any speed) but I do have 17's on. Overall though Im very happy with them

172 Cup
I get scrubbing here now, seems to have settled and there only about a fingers width between tyre and the lumpy bit that sticks out on teh balck plastic wheel arch.