ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Racing blue 182 Turbo

Clio 182
What are your expectations in terms of reliability and ongoing costs? How many miles will you cover and how handy are you if things to break?

Just wondering if you see this as a fit and forget upgrade, or are preparing for £1,000 a year costs to keep everything sweet.
I think its all down to the way its driven/used.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
£1k a year? On what?
The number isn't relevant, I think the OP has it right - being prepared.

I love the idea of a turbo conversion for my 182 but recently I've seen at least a few comments (not isolated to Clios) that people are being forced to sell or are unhappy with what they've ended up with because it keeps going wrong and is costing too much.

Fingers crossed this one is a good news story - subscribed :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
The number isn't relevant, I think the OP has it right - being prepared.

I love the idea of a turbo conversion for my 182 but recently I've seen at least a few comments (not isolated to Clios) that people are being forced to sell or are unhappy with what they've ended up with because it keeps going wrong and is costing too much.

Fingers crossed this one is a good news story - subscribed :smile:

Thanks! Hopefully it proves to be awesome.

I'm aware of the risk though, s**t does happen. You only have to look at Sharkys trophy on here.

My mates VXR is on approx 5th engine. But thats since new in 2008 when he bought it, so its had a very good life really and when it is working its absolutely fantastic on the road or track.

I'm hoping to have something very useable whether it be driving to the track day, blasting all day around the track and then driving home or just a drive out round some awesome roads.

Clio 182
What i meant is if you just going to boot it from a standing start or sit on the limiter it will take is toll.
The gearboxs can be a weak point but if your sensible should last a while

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Imo the idea of a turbo conversion is very appealing, 3k buys very good power the reality is that most have lots of issues . Which end up costing even more ! Recently on here a few have posted up about the problems that come with it, but I suspect a lot more have had constant problems and ongoing repairs but are too embarrassed to admit to it on here after ploughing all that cash into it !
Strange how many go back to std after having it done or sell up .

I have thought many times about getting mine done but just not worth the risk and expense imo.

Last edited:
  172 Turbo
With the drunk MrTom post being swiftly deleted, it does make me wonder what else is hidden by moderation.
I was ready to go turbo this year but with the trouble @MrTom has had, George breaking his and others been sold very quickly I've gone for bodies this winter.
However, as with the others, I'm sure the finished product will be one hell of a weapon.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Imo the idea of a turbo conversion is very appealing, 3k buys very good power the reality is that most have lots of issues . Which end up costing even more ! Recently on here a few have posted up about the problems that come with it, but I suspect a lot more have had constant problems and ongoing repairs but are too embarrassed to admit to it on here after ploughing all that cash into it !
Strange how many go back to std after having it done or sell up .

I have thought many times about getting mine done but just not worth the risk and expense imo.
I'm not too fussed what happens. If it causes to many problems it'll get put to one side for the time being and I'll buy something else to keep me happy.

No point selling up, its probably worth a 1/3 of what i have actually spent.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
With the drunk MrTom post being swiftly deleted, it does make me wonder what else is hidden by moderation.
I was ready to go turbo this year but with the trouble @MrTom has had, George breaking his and others been sold very quickly I've gone for bodies this winter.
However, as with the others, I'm sure the finished product will be one hell of a weapon.

His post wasn't "moderated" to cover issues. It was the way it was delivered. If people have issues then by all means post them up. This is a club for members, not a front for traders to hide behind.

If it had been a reasonable debate on the problems and highlighting the issues and discussing them, it would have stayed. But it was a slate fest with little reasoned debate. Anyone who feels things are moderated unfairly then PM me or one of the team. I don't want a discussion on moderation in this thread, but I hope the above helps throw light on the stance we take from a moderating / admin side. I will always let threads highlighting poor workmanship or problems run, if they are conducted "reasonably".

On the topic of boost. I have had zero problems with mine, albeit supercharged. In fact I had more problems when it was cammed. It all comes down to who fits it / does the work / mapping and the power you run. I limited mine to 250bhp and 220lb ft torque primarily for longevity of use.

Looking forward to seeing it finished Ben.

RB Clio 182

It was a pissed up rant to which I have apologised for.

With any car if you add more power you are putting more strain on components, mine has an extra 100hp and 100 ftlb extra than stock.

I have been unlucky which at the time i wasn't happy about, my car is now at clioturbo having the engine repaired of any damages and I have decided to have my gbox sent off to agency for a refurb while its with Andy.

These things do happen and unfortunately I have been one of the unlucky ones.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Have you got your car back now @Lal B3N

Was supposed to come back in October but then I added a few more goodies which put the dates back a bit, plus I bought 2 other clios to keep me occupied so just said give me a call when its done. Next few weeks though now, then I can run it in.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Nice one, wish I had the money to buy another clio to keep me occupied :)
One was a spare of the moment as it was too good to miss out on. Its just sat away though as its only done 18k.

The other was so i can keep doing a few track days.

You still planning on selling yours?

RB Clio 182
One was a spare of the moment as it was too good to miss out on. Its just sat away though as its only done 18k.

The other was so i can keep doing a few track days.

You still planning on selling yours?

Ive had interest off someone but I'm still 50/50 depending on how the car treats me, I just cant keep affording to get it fixed mate.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Was supposed to come back in October but then I added a few more goodies which put the dates back a bit, plus I bought 2 other clios to keep me occupied so just said give me a call when its done. Next few weeks though now, then I can run it in.

FLOL .. what a d*ckhead. Bet they're silly girly coloured ones too.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
It was close to being done.

But then I bought a 50 shades of yellow sunflower phase 1 off @TheEvilGiraffe and I changed my mind about having a turbo racing blue so its been returned back to standard.

Sunflower is currently in bits getting the arches sorted, a genuine aluminium bonnet and full respray then its going for my turbo engine put and my roll cage and seats etc.

Using the RB for a couple of track days then selling it. Need to get round to selling my low mileage 172 cup as well.