ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RenaultSport Clios - great on the right road, rubbish the rest of the time. Discuss

Civic Type R
Re: RenaultSport Clios - great on the right road, rubbish the rest of the time. Discu

You can get a bad car no matter what make you buy, I know people with high end audis that have had nothing but problems, a mate of mine paid over 40k for a brand new bmw, its spent more time in the garage than with him, he's currently trying to get rid out if.

You could buy a honda / audi / vw and have just as many problems.. only they will cost you more to fix......

Re: RenaultSport Clios - great on the right road, rubbish the rest of the time. Discu

Good luck trying to sell if after posting that! :lolup:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Spot on.

Once you drive something decent and german/ jap, its hard to come back and say that your clio is well built. I think you just get used to the rattles/ parts being consumables.

Suppose it is cliosport though, owners will always love their make of car and ignore the bad bits lol.

To the op, have you thought about getting an ep3 civic. Despite the haters on here (its not a clio so its rubbish yo), you get 90% of the clio thrills (and in some respects more), and twice the quality/ day to day liveability. Mind you, you say you've owned honda's previously, so will assume you've tried one?
Horses for courses. For my needs, there's nothing else I can think of that would suit so well. 20k+ miles a yr, 35mpg, bugger all running costs, but still quick and fun on track.

Build quality really isn't that important to everyone. I'd rather have a car that I enjoy driving.

Just because people don't agree with you regarding the ep3, doesn't make them haters. There's plenty of negative (and positive) ep3 reviews in the motoring press.

Everyone has different priorities, from your posts it sounds as though driving enjoyment has dropped on your's, ergo factors like build quality etc become more important.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Lots of these threads come from townies ;)

They are crashy, heavy to drive around towns/citites, i can certainly see why peeps get pissed off. Supposed i'm lucky as i dont use my car for work, and live in the sticks. Most of my journeys are 20 mile + of A + B roads, love mine.

Meh, a bit of man up is in order. Its rattly and rough because it wants you to know whats going on :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Build quality really isn't that important to everyone. I'd rather have a car that I enjoy driving.

This, people (infact most of my mates) dont understand why i have yet again bought a lower quality car when i could of gone Jap for similar money but I dont really care. Its the car I wanted so i got it.

Lots of these threads come from townies ;)

They are crashy, heavy to drive around towns/citites, i can certainly see why peeps get pissed off. Supposed i'm lucky as i dont use my car for work, and live in the sticks. Most of my journeys are 20 mile + of A + B roads, love mine.

Most of this also, i dont use the car for work, so when it gets used its rarely in town. If i had to drive through town day in day out I would probably change it.

I also live close enough to the country that i can get onto some decent B roads without having to go near a town centre/busy road.

172 Ph2

I agree with you that it's not the best quality car in the world, but the whole point of Clio Sports is that they offer a fantastic package of acceleration and handling for such a low budget. Having owned a Golf Mk4 prior to my Clio 172, I instantly noticed the poorer build quality with the Clio, however I think Clio Sports punch well above their weight in terms of driving experience and for that reason I'll forgive it anything.

R26

I got the impression that Clios 197 and 200 (the Clio Mk3) are much better built than previous ones. Granted, all that I drove were new with a few thousand miles on the clock, but there was no sign of rattling, squeaking or anything...

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

My 172 has been good as gold TBH. I've had it 4 years now and covered 75k and it has never let me down.

I'd sell up and buy some more jap crap ;)

New Kangoo Van!

Jees, glad ive got a gud'n!

Titanium 182

As long as my engine ECU or gearbox don't go wrong it's fine.

phase1 172

get an old 106gti, then you will see what a rattly old problem car is

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

^Mines ok?

Mondeo TDCI 130

^Mines ok?

Thing is kev we are over anal, lol! That GTI has had more money spent on it in 12 months than most people spend in car ownership!

And in a position to do it at cost basically! Otherwise it would cost an arm and a leg!

tiTTy & SV650

some are dogs, I've had 2 good uns.

Research before you buy and buy one with known history and I'm not just talking paperwork.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

get an old 106gti, then you will see what a rattly old problem car is

Not strictly true!

Used car buying is a lottery at the best of times, good ones, bad ones :)

Astra SRI/ Hornet

i had a 172 cup for 2 years and only had to change a rear damper. i found it ultra reliable. as for an integra,ive drove 6 and they are def not better to drive and slower but my cup was a minter not a total shed like yours sounds.

A SHED!

i had a 172 cup for 2 years and only had to change a rear damper. i found it ultra reliable. as for an integra,ive drove 6 and they are def not better to drive and slower but my cup was a minter not a total shed like yours sounds.

lol errrr the dc2 is definitely better to drive im afraid and about the same in terms of performance with the dc2 at top end. admittedly my cup is ultra reliable, garaged and was a joy to drive. you should buy mine! lol

Astra SRI/ Hornet

Better if ya like boring no thrills handling. I prefer to 3 wheel around round abouts and use the great grip that the integra can never match.

Astra SRI/ Hornet

^^^what exactly is funny about that. It's just my opinion. Most people tend to jump on the band wagon just cos the magazines say there great. Yeah 10 years ago maybe but times have changed.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

I got the impression that Clios 197 and 200 (the Clio Mk3) are much better built than previous ones. Granted, all that I drove were new with a few thousand miles on the clock, but there was no sign of rattling, squeaking or anything...

They are. I had a 197 for around 18 months, and they are MUCH better inside, very refined. Had a 172 Cup, 182 before the 197, now got another 172 cup, and they do feel unrefined inside. No getting away from it.

S3, Polo

...they do feel unrefined inside. No getting away from it.

Seriously? People are buying a 1*2 and expecting it to be refined?

HAHAHAHAHA.

It's a great-handling cheapo car FFS. Want refinement in the same price bracket? Buy a significantly older German car. But I guarantee it will pale in comparison to the fun available for such a small outlay available here.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

my 172 wasnt exactly mega refined compaired to a boring turbo hatch or a diesel but who gives a s**t, it had a peach of an engine that took 50k of fast road miles, it punched well above its weight

hondas are ok if your into all that lag and no turbo. its like waiting for bad sex

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Seriously? People are buying a 1*2 and expecting it to be refined?

HAHAHAHAHA.

It's a great-handling cheapo car FFS. Want refinement in the same price bracket? Buy a significantly older German car. But I guarantee it will pale in comparison to the fun available for such a small outlay available here.

You fail if that was a dig at me..............

A SHED!

Better if ya like boring no thrills handling. I prefer to 3 wheel around round abouts and use the great grip that the integra can never match.

pmsl

A SHED!

^^^what exactly is funny about that. It's just my opinion. Most people tend to jump on the band wagon just cos the magazines say there great. Yeah 10 years ago maybe but times have changed.

ive owned both, i know which handles better, im not slaggin off my cup, i love it. But the dc2 is just better. As for lack of torque, the sound,feel, build, driving position,reliabilty, gearbox and sheer epicness of it all made up for it......yo ;)

Astra SRI/ Hornet

Well I've drove them to the limit on the road and didn't think much of it, the noise was good with a filter but I look for fun and personality in a car and the integra for me didn't have either. Drive your cup round a tight bumpy b road and it will obsorb you in the experience and you'll be smilling for hours after. Depends where ya live ofcourse but up here awesome roads are everywhere.

Clio 172 RS2

With me it's the other way around 95% pukka - 5% rubbish.

Like on Belgian cobblestone roads = FAIL!

I stand by it, that it is a proper engineered Hot Hatch which can take an abuse day-by-day. Thanks fellas in Dieppe!
Sure engine is lumpy when cold...
Sure it creaks and rattles sometimes...
Sure it torque steers...
Surely i wanted a firmer suspension...

Even after 10 years it's a absolute hoot to drive with the correct and cared for one even without problems. Eating mile after mile.

I guess you need a 'modern' car like a Golf mK. V

320d

I agree in parts. I think the people who sometimes doubt their car are people like me who mainly drive around town a lot.

If you take it out and show it some bends, roundabouts etc it produces a grin from ear to ear.

A mate took me out in his mums brand new Mini Cooper S, its 24K's worth, electric everything, leather etc absolutely lovely car, brilliant quality. It was an auto though which is poor, even in sport mode is didn't feel great though, felt slower than my 172 when in reality it should be quicker, the engine didn't feel exciting, it has neither strong midrange or exciting top end power it just seemed to pull at the same rate throughout.

I took the 172 on the same road on my way home and it felt faster, when I looked at the speedo they where similar but the 172 just felt so much more raw and exciting.

The point i'm trying to make is you struggle to find a car that does everything well. Its either unrefind around town, poorly built but brilliant fun when the time is right or you get one that is brilliant around town, well built, luxurious but just not quite as raw and fun.

Clio 172 RS2

Brett... now try a MINI Cooper S JCW!;)

Point is with newer cars, they tend to isolate the driving experience...
You have to dig deep to feel it.
Like you really are speeding but it doesn't feel like it.
All is so tranquil more like traveling then driving!

Clio RS 182

I bought mine 3 months ago when looking for an EP3 but instead i chose to pocket the spare cash.
I have had to shell out nearly £500 already as i got rid of the budget rear tyres(fun but winter is here), 2 days later it started to misfire and then the cat to mani bracket went(no biggy).
Even with the money i spent i'm better off and its so much more fun to drive than a honda.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP

I've owned both - neither are refined but the Clio just has that everyday-foot-down-fun about it. DC2 struggled with 'normal' driving, but that LSD was magic! My next car tho - FD2, innit.

A SHED!

Well I've drove them to the limit on the road and didn't think much of it, the noise was good with a filter but I look for fun and personality in a car and the integra for me didn't have either. Drive your cup round a tight bumpy b road and it will obsorb you in the experience and you'll be smilling for hours after. Depends where ya live ofcourse but up here awesome roads are everywhere.

well lets agree to disagree, ive driven to john o grots in my teg and it was awesome . i live in n.wales so roads around here not exactly rubbish and yes i agree the cup is good on b-rds, just enjoyed my teg more. If we all liked the same things it would be a boring world.

Astra SRI/ Hornet

Yeah every1 is Into different stuff i've owned 205 gti, 106 gti, 172 cup, 182 cup and they all posses pretty much all the characteristics I love and similar to each other. Each I have had great driving exeriences in.

My Ph1 172 is on 98k and i actually think the build quality isnt bad at all!! ( I've owned newer VWs and driven plenty of BMWs etc) The way the car handles, sounds and grips the road adds to the character of the whole car. As soon as you hit that first corner you can just tell your in something thats built to go round corners. It goes fairly well in a straight line too. I love mine.