ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RenaultSport Clios - great on the right road, rubbish the rest of the time. Discuss

As per title ...

My 172 Cup is about 5% fun and 95% frustration. It doesn't want to know when it's cold or wet. The idle is crap. It squeaks and rattles. The dampers have too much stiction and the suspension is too stiff. Its flimsy, unreliable and unrobust. The stereo cuts out and chews CDs. Bits fall off, wear out prematurely or just plain break. The trip computer resets. It locks me out, or, if it lets me in, it won't start. It's not as good as an Integra Type-R to drive. And nuffin like a Honda from an ownership perspective, mine's been more hassle and way more money in 2 years than 5 Hondas have been in 8 years :dapprove:

But on the right road, in the dry, when the tyres and dampers have warmed up, all is forgiven :)

Re: RenaultSport Clios - great on the right road, rubbish the rest of the time. Discu

think you must have a bad one, mine only does the squeeks and rattles. and i can forgive that.

Focus ST170
Re: RenaultSport Clios - great on the right road, rubbish the rest of the time. Discu

Agree totally m8 ^^

JJS

It's known that the idle can be a bit lumpy, and it rattles a bit, but otherwise...sounds like you have a knackered one!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

I've had a few Clios now (Williams, 172 and 182 Trophy) and none have presented me with any problems. What mods are on the Clio and how is it driven?

none have presented me with any problems. What mods are on the Clio and how is it driven?

I'm well aware I might have a "Friday afternoon" car

What mods are on the Clio
No mods

how is it driven?
Driven gently on the 5 mile commute, 80 on the motorway, and fairly hard the rest of the time. Assuming it wants to play that is!!!

you look after her? have a little chat on the commute etc? mine loves it she always responds well to a good conversation and a rub down at the wk end. rofl.

If you don't like the car sell it.

Sorry but these threads piss me off its a f**king Clio not a BMW so it will rattle and be cheap and badly made.

IMHO there great fun cars but it you want something better built etc. go German and bugger off.

;)

As per title ...

My 172 Cup is about 5% fun and 95% frustration. It doesn't want to know when it's cold or wet. The idle is crap. It squeaks and rattles. The dampers have too much stiction and the suspension is too stiff. Its flimsy, unreliable and unrobust. The stereo cuts out and chews CDs. Bits fall off, wear out prematurely or just plain break. The trip computer resets. It locks me out, or, if it lets me in, it won't start. It's not as good as an Integra Type-R to drive. And nuffin like a Honda from an ownership perspective, mine's been more hassle and way more money in 2 years than 5 Hondas have been in 8 years :dapprove:

But on the right road, in the dry, when the tyres and dampers have warmed up, all is forgiven :)
So basically you have a lemon.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

If you drive it hard you must expect a few more issues really. Being driven "hard" varies so much between people so cannot read too much into it really. I have to say all mine have run better with sustained and constant use. 5 miles isn't really enough to blow away the cobwebs and get up to temp potentially. Other than that I'm not sure.

Shadowness said:
like you have a knackered one!

It's not knackered any more - just about everything that can be replaced due to breaking, failing or wearing out has been. Wheels, tyres, springs, dampers, bushes, pedals, throttle bodies, trim, pretensioners ... I could go on ...

sell it then!
... in which case someone will get a bargain "new car" :rofl:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

Where you from mate?

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup

welcome to renault :)

"... in which case someone will get a bargain "new car" :rofl:"

which apparently........doesn't want to know when it's cold or wet. The idle is crap. It squeaks and rattles. The dampers have too much stiction and the suspension is too stiff. Its flimsy, unreliable and unrobust. The stereo cuts out and chews CDs. Bits fall off, wear out prematurely or just plain break. The trip computer resets. It locks me out, or, if it lets me in, it won't start......

hmm sounds like a bargain to me....

Last edited:

Sell it and buy a Honda.

Nothing at the mo :(

well all i can say is if you do put it up for sale.. it wont sell on here lol

Clio 1970000000

You can't compare the Clio to your Honda. I loved my CTR. My 197 has rattles in both doors (supposed to be better built) kangeroos down the road for the first minute when cold (makes me look a right prat :mad:) and is harder to drive quickly than the CTR, yet I love it,............... except for the rattles that really fcuk me off.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

not ideal. id dingy the headunit, will ease some of the pain

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Tbh id be worried if a French car didnt rattle.

If it doesnt rattle, it must not be working

Sounds like your a Honder man, sell it to someone who will love to hate it and most of all, appreciate and enjoy it....?

Chav Rocket

you must have a unlucky car mate which is a shame, as with anything - if its well maintained it ill last its years - obviously with a car you dont know how the previous owner treated it.

i had a fairly good indication of how mine was treated when i went to look at her and was taken out for a test drive.....to be fair though, last owner of mine was a member and i think the cars a credit to him. plus he had all the faults while he owned it, so since i've had it, its been fine :) touch wood....

172 Cup

You must have bought a shite one then, really is a good idea to try before you buy!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

Friday afternoon car, sounds like one to get rid of mate!

Black 172 PH2

Only time i hate my car is on my commute home, its only 6 miles and doesn't really feel like it warms through, the gearbox feels a little clunky.
But when i go for a drive and its nicely warmed up, it flies and the gearbox feels smooth :)

Thing is, the RS Clio is a bargain fast car, often cheaper than its closest rivals so rattles and little niggles are to be expected later in the cars life imo

But as said by others, it does seem you may have a bad one.

PH-QUICK

The only thing my Ph1 is poor at is town stop start traffic, which is almost all of the time in Reading. The heavy heavy clutch and cable throttle dont make for great crawling speed control. Still wouldn't have anything else for the B road fun.

Octavia VRS

As per title ...

CAT C anyone?

MKV R32

Its a renault and 14k new, get over it

S3, Polo

Fortunately - and I realise this isn't wholly constructive - I've never had any of the problems you've had!?!

Aside from a sligtly rattly glovebox since I added a poly-bushed dogbone mount - which, for the positive change in gear-shift precision - was worth an intermittent rattle :)

MCS R56

I'm sure it's the same with every car manufacturer, they make a rubbish one. Or you are just unlucky. Mine never missed a beat but it was looked after from day one.

It rattled and the stereo was gash but for a smidge under £11,000 with 15 miles on the clock, it was well worth it.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

It's not knackered any more - just about everything that can be replaced due to breaking, failing or wearing out has been. Wheels, tyres, springs, dampers, bushes, pedals, throttle bodies, trim, pretensioners ... I could go on ...

Sorry it sounds like you got a bad one and most of the parts you've listed are consumables. It's a six or seven year old car what do expect FFS :S

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I've done about 700miles in mine this week. Enjoyed all of them.

mines a nail.

do i care?

nope.... part of the fun :D

M2 Competition

Spot on.

Once you drive something decent and german/ jap, its hard to come back and say that your clio is well built. I think you just get used to the rattles/ parts being consumables.

Suppose it is cliosport though, owners will always love their make of car and ignore the bad bits lol.

To the op, have you thought about getting an ep3 civic. Despite the haters on here (its not a clio so its rubbish yo), you get 90% of the clio thrills (and in some respects more), and twice the quality/ day to day liveability. Mind you, you say you've owned honda's previously, so will assume you've tried one?

Vw caddy tdi

I agree with flux 100%. I have a long standing love hate relationship with my ph1. Iv replaced virtually everything and she drives like a dream at moment, but it seems silly things do go wrong for a pastime and the build quality issues let the car down from shocking fitting exhausts to quirky electrical issues take your pick love um or hate um the list goes on and on.....

RS 172

my car rattles, rough on idle for 2/3 mins, clutch on/off etc etc, i but i still love it ALL the time. Great little car for little amount of money.
Do 50 miles a day in my car and its great fun

Cup and R6

To the OP

Welcome to the nail club, i know exactly what your talking about, I've thought of getting rid of mine too.

but everytime i look at her shes beautiful and when its not wet its a joy to drive, so i forgive it for its shitness, but it does get frustrating when you fix something and all is well moments later something else breaks :mad:

Ph1

Bushes, Wheels, Tyres, Springs, Dampers can fail on any car. Thats just general wear and tare.
TB problems are pretty common but arnt a regular problem. Pretensioners, strange one and never heard of folk having to replace trim.

As a few others have said, you probably have a pre-owned abused one or old nail