ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane 250
Been following the thread but never commented I don’t believe.

It’s obvious to see how passionate you are about the car, purely because the build is ongoing after so much.

I don’t think you need to keep justifying yourself either, as long as you know what the plan is now.

Either way, I have a feeling you’re relatively local to me (South Wales) would be awesome to see when it’s back in your possession.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'll more than likely be up at Micks at some point soon, I'm local ish so I'll pay me respects to the old jallopy if I'm there and catch a glimpse of her.
Hahaha, please do mate! ?Feel free to suggest that Mick takes, and sends, me a few pics too... this thread could do with some imagery updates!!

Been following the thread but never commented I don’t believe.

It’s obvious to see how passionate you are about the car, purely because the build is ongoing after so much.

I don’t think you need to keep justifying yourself either, as long as you know what the plan is now.

Either way, I have a feeling you’re relatively local to me (South Wales) would be awesome to see when it’s back in your possession.
Cheers buddy. Yeah, I moved to South Wales about 12 years ago and it has become home. I'll certainly be out and about when it's back so more than happy to meet up at some point. ?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Stick a picture of the sump up Andy , it could only really be for a temp sensor or turbo oil return depending on location.

I think I've sussed it mate. To be honest it might already say somewhere in my build thread but I can't find it...! ?

This first image, I believe, shows an AN8 threaded locking ring which is likely for the turbo oil drain.

20160418_enginebuild16.jpg

The second image is an M12 x 1.5mm boss welded to sump, which I expect is for a temperature sensor.

20160418_enginebuild18.jpg

? Possibly maybe. Seems to make sense and I seem to recall that (the above) was the intention!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
There's definitely a one-off episode on Netflix due, that will summarise the trials and tribulations of Andy and a certain off-red Clio.

There's a strange and weird side of me that doesn't want to see this car finished. Almost like standing back and admiring those ceiling paintings on Venetian churches that take 40+ years to complete. It's a forum staple.... an ongoing saga that's a decade old. Once it's done, that's a chapter closed - a box-set DVD compilation that abruptly finishes on Episode #768.

What will we do once this is finished? It gives us mere RS owners some stability in their lives that a clutch, engine mounts and driveshaft fix on their own car aren't actually that serious. In the grand scheme of things.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Surely that's the oil feed back to the sump? Standard fare for turbo'd vehicles.
Wouldn't normally have a temp sensor in the sump, not that accurate as it won't be seeing the true operating temp.

Best to have a sensor on a sandwich plate off the oil filter.
threaded M12 is definitely turbo oil return. AN8 is too small for that.

AN8 likely a sensor - or catch can return if its set up to do that (not a good idea IMO)
Thanks for the replies, gents. I have a helping hand visiting the car next Friday who will probably be able to shed some light on what goes where, etc. ?

There's definitely a one-off episode on Netflix due, that will summarise the trials and tribulations of Andy and a certain off-red Clio.

There's a strange and weird side of me that doesn't want to see this car finished. Almost like standing back and admiring those ceiling paintings on Venetian churches that take 40+ years to complete. It's a forum staple.... an ongoing saga that's a decade old. Once it's done, that's a chapter closed - a box-set DVD compilation that abruptly finishes on Episode #768.

What will we do once this is finished? It gives us mere RS owners some stability in their lives that a clutch, engine mounts and driveshaft fix on their own car aren't actually that serious. In the grand scheme of things.
Nah - Netflix won't pay out for this cr*p, I've asked! ?? They also wouldn't commit to a 25 year deal to see the car through to completion...

Call me a pessimist, but I can't see the thread coming to a close; at least not for a while. I'm sure there will be a few teething issues, and then ongoing maintenance 'stuff'. As long as nothing catastrophic occurs then I think I'll be able to take it on the chin. I'm sure I'll find something to moan about. :)

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just caught up after a few months....f**king hell mate does it ever end?
No doubt your missing bits eneded up in the same place as my missing bits thanks to a certain wurzle...Ebay.

Seems like it's been slow progress with a lot of people jumping on the band wagon of "things being Micks fault".
I'll disagree there, if people had seen the state it was in at the previous garage like I had on my last visit ??
Though I do agree with some comments, it would be good to see him get it finished sooner rather than later....I've been waiting for my passenger ride for bloody ages now ?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Just caught up after a few months....f**king hell mate does it ever end?
No doubt your missing bits eneded up in the same place as my missing bits thanks to a certain wurzle...Ebay.
I do wonder if that's where some ended up, or as part of T-Cup or other builds?! Goodness knows. It's cost another small fortune replacing the missing items :(

Seems like it's been slow progress with a lot of people jumping on the band wagon of "things being Micks fault".
I'll disagree there, if people had seen the state it was in at the previous garage like I had on my last visit ??
Though I do agree with some comments, it would be good to see him get it finished sooner rather than later....I've been waiting for my passenger ride for bloody ages now ?
Exactly mate, it wasn't in a great state at all. Many people seem to think I'm just bolting a turbo on, too. It's a little more than just that as you know! With a bit of luck I'll have some fresh incoming pics very soon (the first for quite some time!) so watch this space... ;) I'll pick you up as soon as she's good to go...

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I do wonder if that's where some ended up, or as part of T-Cup or other builds?! Goodness knows. It's cost another small fortune replacing the missing items :(

Exactly mate, it wasn't in a great state at all. Many people seem to think I'm just bolting a turbo on, too. It's a little more than just that as you know! With a bit of luck I'll have some fresh incoming pics very soon (the first for quite some time!) so watch this space... ;) I'll pick you up as soon as she's good to go...

With my subframe + other bits and all your bits, wurzle probably built a full car! I can only Imagine mate, you know where I am if you need any bits, there's 2 breakers on the drive at the moment ?

It really wasn't, pained me to see so I can only imagine what it felt like for you. I don't understand why people would think it's a bolt on job though!
I'll keep my eyes peeled bud, interested to see how much (or hopefully, how little?!) is left to do. Will hold you to that one ?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
What an interesting day...

There was some good progress on the Trophy as I had a couple of top blokes on the job. A big thanks to Mick (Diamond Motors) for the ongoing storage work on #165 and to Alex (AWMotorworks) for taking time out to make the lengthy trek to Nottingham and to help in pushing things forward. As many know, Alex has a fair bit of experience with boosted Clios hence his input, assistance and experience is a massive help. Obviously this is very much a positive thing!

Whilst there were indeed positives there were also a few negatives. C'mon, what did you expect?! :tonguewink:

It's clear that some components simply aren't suitable for the car and will need replacing. Others components need purchasing (some a second time). Some of the design / plan decisions were questionable and some of the work is not really up to the standard it needs to be. It looks like Le Clio Ba*tard Rouge will continue to hit me hard in the wallet for a little while longer yet. Hopefully there might be one or two parts I can sell on and make a few quid back to go towards the ongoing costs.

Despite the bad news I feel very much more buoyed by the fact that Mick and Alex have it under control. A comprehensive checklist is now in place; it is known what is needed in terms of parts and work. There's a fair bit to do and still a few hurdles to overcome... but it is certainly achievable.

I'll post a more in-depth update very soon.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
This must be one special car for you to spend so much on it. Financially and emotionally. What's gonna be so good about it? I would read back through the thead but there's about a million pages of nothing

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus wept man.

Only you could take a positive from two guys telling you that the previous work you’ve spent £1000s on was s**t and you’ll have to pay for it all again.
But I'm not paying for it all again. The majority of the remaining cost is stuff that hasn't been done yet because, let's face it, pretty much f**k all was done whilst it was over in Glastonbury.

You seem a nice chap with money to burn.

Tis madness though
No, no - wrong on both counts! :p Like the majority here (I assume) I don't have money to burn.

Each to their own I say. He could have bought a new car every 6 months for examole?, but chooses to burn money with a rouge flame. Just don't sell it as soon as its finished @SharkyUK ?
I won't be selling it mate. I bought it as a 'forever' car and that's still the plan. The only way it will be leaving my possession is a) if I completely run it into the ground or b) it is crushed due to losing patience with it. ?

This must be one special car for you to spend so much on it. Financially and emotionally. What's gonna be so good about it? I would read back through the thead but there's about a million pages of nothing
There's nothing particularly 'so good' or special about it. I'm just wanting a nicely spec'd / engineered car that I can enjoy for a few track days a year and as a bit of a weekend toy. That's all I've ever wanted since I bought it back in 2007. The problem is I've had one issue after another and been let down time after time. On those rare occasions I have been able to use the car it has been great.

A shed
The problem is I've had one issue after another.

This right here. This is the lie you keep telling yourself.

You decided on making it a 'tad' quicker with ITB's and then that didn't go exactly to plan and you let garage A convince you to up the ante on the build. That didn't get finished and you let garage B convince you to up the ante on the build. Then that didn't get finished and you let garage C convince you to up the ante on the build.....etc etc etc until here we are. and you are once again having people convince you that it could be better, parts are wrong and shelling out more money because you've been convinced to up the ante on the build AGAIN

You keep bouncing around the latest and greatest garage on this forum, with them all claiming to be amazing, and loads of experience and you say in here how happy you are that its in good hands etc and time and time again you are let down after said forum hyped garage has taken a shed load of your cash.

By the time its done it better be the best turbo'd cheap French hot hatch ever. Otherwise its just not worth it.

Should have cut your losses years ago, slung a stock engine in and enjoyed the car.

Problem is you're too nice and garages keep taking advantage.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
You know what, I just can't be arsed anymore. I'm getting far too much s**t about this from folks who seem more wound-up than I am?!?!?! I certainly don't mind feedback and criticism, good or bad, it's all appreciated. :) But I'm just getting fed up of all the crap I'm getting from folks who have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes. I'm even more angry and concerned that the decent folk I have working on my car now are also getting sh*t for their efforts. It's out of order and not at all called for. I didn't even ask for this high-boost build in the first instance. It was done as a 'favour' - and what a lot of good that has done. None of the garages involved convinced me to up the ante either - it was all off my own back, rightly or wrongly.

I can honestly say Mick is not the type of person to say you need this & that when you dont.. He takes great pride in his work and always does the job right, hell he even stayed back late one night to make sure the mrs megane was done as Reno dropped him in the s**t with a clutch and waited for me to get down to pick the car up

He had pretty much locked up when id turned back around due to a ABS light coming on and he could of easily said sorry mate im locked up but he didnt he grabbed his computer & plugged it in and wiped code and told me which sensor i needed

I travel from county durham to use mick and trust any advice he gives me on things. I personally saw Sharky's car not long after 1st been dropped off and it was litearlly a shell with a engine plonled in and a box of bits

Without ever seeing first hand how this was left by previous person you cant really comment on how it should be just a matter of bolting it together etc

Personally if it was me id of probs cut my losses and thrown a stock engine back in after the last failure but its not my car and as Sharky has said this was started as a favour, fair play to the bloke for continuing on with it even with the Huge exspense and headaches this has caused

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Any updates
Nothing much to add mate - still waiting on parts to arrive to replace those bits deemed unworthy. In some cases it is also proving difficult to source parts as it is surprising how many items are no longer available from Renault. Sadly there have been one or two other unexpected twists that are slowing things down but, with all due respect, I won't post them up in case it upsets (or winds up) too many people. :)

All the best fella.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
May 2019 - The End

It is, with a genuine sadness and heavy heart, that my time and patience with Trophy #165 has reached its limit. One thing after another after another; I simply cannot face throwing more money at it. After 12 years (with some 7 years of that being off the road) and over 40 grand invested in it... enough is enough. Time to move on and try something new. The reality is that it has beaten me.

20190504_the-end.jpg

Each day it has been weighing on my mind and, after making the decision earlier, I feel a weight has been lifted. Sad? Yes, very. Regrets? Some. At least a few good memories? Absolutely! :) I'm grateful for the new friendships that grew up around this car, friendships that will continue. And on its day, it was a truly awe-inspiring car to blast down a favourite B-road.

I can't thank Mick Pittman at Diamond Motors enough for trying to get the build back on track for me (and a nod to Alex at AWMotorsport as well for his help / advice). Thank you gentlemen.

The simple truth is that it had been left in such an incomplete and shoddy state that I was basically looking at having to start it again. Coupled with faulty parts (which I can't return as I bought them years ago and they are out of warranty), missing parts (that I've already paid for and had to replace), shoddy workmanship and sub-par components in key areas... well, you get the picture. Damn right I'm bitter and angry. :( Onwards and upwards, yeah? :)

I've got to decide what to do next as I don't think anyone will be prepared to buy the car as an unfinished project. It may go back to standard(ish) if it isn't too much work or it may not. I will no doubt have a list of nice high-end components if anyone is contemplating a turbo build of their own. I just need a bit of time to let my decision sink in because, as weird as it sounds, it has kinda knocked the stuffing out of me a bit! :)

Thanks to those of you who have followed the story through thick and thin, the highs and the lows. I'm actually sorry that I can't see it through to a happier ending. I appreciate all the time, comments, advice, feedback, criticism... everything... that you have provided during this journey. :) It's been entertaining, heartbreaking, hilarious, enlightening, gut-wrenching, a whole range of emotions! You've certainly played your part so please, please accept my humble thanks. :)

All the very best,
Andy (SharkyUK)

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
Sad to see. But completely understandable. Comes the time where you have to say enough enough sadly. You never think youd end up in a place like this. When you have faith in a garage but then get fucked over.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You say the main issue is that it's been left in a bad state.. Is that the engine? Then just spend £2k on a forged engine with Phil in Wales and be done with it?

Honestly don't see what is so bad that you're throwing in the towel now

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Gutted to hear this Andy. I can understand your situation on the matter and wanting to stop now before things get worse etc.

What frustrates me is you can guarantee the comments will come from the usual folk who want to criticise.
I've had the pleasure of meeting you and seeing the car in person several times and can vouch for how nice of a guy you are.

My moneys on @davo172 having the usual dig about the traders' involvement with it all.
Stuck record comes to mind.

On a serious note though. I hope you find a weight lifted off your shoulders with whatever you decide to do with the car.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Definitely the best decision you’ve made, I feel relieved for you, Andy.
I’d personally just break the whole car up for parts, as even to get it back to standard will cost money.

I’d start a new chapter with a completely new/different car.