ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams engine re-build - internal tuning!

Further the the mammoth thread about internal tuning to the F7P,

i have sourced the 2.0 F7R from a damaged Williams, at present it dont know much about the engine but i doudt its low milage, and im a little worried about damage from overheating e.g warped head because some of the plastic on the top is a little out of shape where its fine on my 16v,

basicaly whats the best route to take in initialy assesing any damage or wear that is aparent,

when the engine is healthy the modifications can begin!

help please!!

im itching to get started!!

compression test on cylinders would be a good start, side movement on crank, listen carfully for any knocks, slow deep knocks are worn big end, faster higher pitched knocks are worn top end. Whip head off and feel for lip at top of bore, if you can catch your nail on it, it is well worn, otherwise it is fine.

However if I recall rightly, you are going to be replacing a lot of these components, in which case the most important thing would be to carefully clean and look for cracks etc in block and head.

Alex M

my dilema is now, the two guys who were earmarked for dropping the engine in when its done have both idependantly said i would be better dropping it straight in now and seeing what occurs, rather than re-building what might turn out to be a good engine,

i dont know what to do, and i really dont know anything of the history of the engine to guess what state its in,

im on a tight budget

Williams 2, STi N12

If you drop it in now you wont really see any great gains in performance over you 16V, greater drivability maybe but thats it.

Get it striped and modded then you are 100% sure it is a go-er and will do what you want it to do! Otherwise youll only have to take it out again to mod it properly.

its all looking pretty good so far, im baseing this on the fact that all the nuts and bolts are way cleaner and less corroded than mine, and its generaly much cleaner than mine, (my 16v has done 53k but is 1 1992K)

im struggling with those annoying clips that they use instead of jubillee clips, how do you undo them?
they are the ones with the plastic lump on the bottom and the clips are held in place by a bit of metal folded over,

what did jubilies do wrong?

also i have strated taking bits off the top, but havn;t lifted it off yet

any help or suggestions alway greatfully recieved

lofty

i cut mine off, when i took the lump out.
replaced with good quality gubilee clips.
theres only a couple you have to take off.

Big end bearings and cylinder bores will tell you a lot about the history of an engine.

Checking and replacing all these bits is much easier when an engines out of the car and in a nice clean area.

Williams 2, STi N12

Dont just hack it to peices!!

Have a good clear method which you take notes and bag up as you go along!!! ALWAYS label everything and even take pictures to help you later on when you come back to re-assemble it. Take care and be patient otherwise you will be in trouble and may cause more damage. Say if you get the pistons or shells mixed up in the re-build.

Take your time, draw pictures of each component location, clean then and bag them (or let soak in oil depending on the component). I asure you that you will be glad you did!

ben recieved a few emails, last one said about possible front damage, and thats not the case, he said it was a heavy rear,

lastest thinking on my part after much deliberation today is that i will take the rocker cover off and inspect the cams for wear, if they look slightly worn then i can assume ansgnificant mileage has been done, all though if they look mint im not going to pull the thing to pieces and spend £100s i havnt got, performance enhancing mods are all made in the head anyway so its not a great deal hardedto remove whilst int he car (i think) first of all i would like to get it in and working properly, as i have doudts about the fueling and the loom, if its a straight swap and the williaims hill power chip has it running properly the i can see what else i can do,

next question, is the williams front pipe compatible with the 16v front pipe, i know the willy front pipe is tunred 90 degress at the joine with thwe cat because the bolts lign up differntly, im hoping the 16v front pipe and de-cat will be compatible with my williams manifold

suggestions always welcomed

i can see what i think to be slight wear on the cams, not totaly sure, just look slightly differnt on the tips of the cams, im not sure though really,

the whole lot looks bloody impressive when you see it all sat in there!