ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
I'm running a gt3071-wg .64 on my williams engine. Full boost of 15psi around 3500rpm. 330hp at the crank so far with only a base map made by myself.

dunno what the t25 iwg will do but my goal is around 400 too.

guess a helix will be okay depending on the torque, you could always map out the initial torque spike in favor off the clutch

HBT 172 Cup
Ok so i bought the GT3076-WG. As said it has a trimmed down turbine wheel (to physically fit a T25 housing), but also noticed the compressor is a 52trim vs standard 56 trim. So it shouldnt be tooo bad in terms of lag.

Will remove the T25 housing and replace with a Kinugawa T3 inlet, 3" Vband outlet with a .61 AR to retrain half decent mid range.

Also going to book myself onto a TIG welding course so i can learn and hopefully gain the skills to attempt my own manifold.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the above 2871 give me a PM as its not obviously surplus to requirements.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Don't buy the kinugawa wastegated housing mate! The wastegate is the wrong way around and WILL cause sh*t boost control!

i've warned a member on rtoc too but he didn't listen, is having boost control issues ever since and now swapped to a ewg housing.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Swapz for a 2860 :rasp:

You'd regret it mate, I was losing 25bhp at some points in the lower rev range compared to the 2860 :-/

Laine have you got a link to the turbo you've bought? I've heard of gt3071r with a smaller turbine wheel but not a gt3076?

*Edit - just found it on ATPturbo web page

Last edited:
  HBT 172 Cup
Project tubular begins.

012Custom_zpsc8f0a0fd.jpg

HBT 172 Cup
Slow progress on the manifold, i've figured all the runner routes. a quick measuremnt on the car shows i have about 9" of room from the cyl head back to work with, closeing down to about 8" in some places, all seems to be OK so far.

Unfortunaetly ive only got a hot glue gun to stick it together and its failing badly, need to hunt out a cheap MIG to tack it in place before i go crazy.

1469999_10153478264105364_426511159_n_zps00e1e97d.jpg

172 cup, Impreza P1
I borrowed a gasless MIG which worked well to tack things together without having to worry about gas bottles. Did the job before taking it to be TIG'd.

HBT 172 Cup
Decided to pull the engine out and retire the car yesterday, the oil breather issue was not good and the whole car was stinking of oil everytime i used it. Engine is now down to its bare components, and as suspected one of the pistons had a fracture ring land. Fully forged build should be ready to drop in mid/late january all being well.

If anyone is after some megane 225 rods let me know as ill be selling mine.

999632_10153561185420364_279557985_n_zpsf6f9976a.jpg

HBT 172 Cup
Ouch! wasn't they brand new pistons too?

They were pulled from a brand new never run engine yeah, theyve got about 5-6k under there belt. To be fair you could blame a lot of things for it but i was driving the car hard for 5 months without a problem, then on a steady cruise to london i pulled in after i saw oil vapour coming out the bonnet, game over.

HBT 172 Cup
Custom made 2.5" pipe to T3 flange for DIY manifolds, had 3 made as a minimum order, if someone would have a use for one the other 2 are for sale, they are uber high quality. :)

1475857_10153595626790364_3148700_n_zpsf8c1b6be.jpg

936632_10153595627075364_143039479_n_zps484e9deb.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Generally when the ringlands do that its a mapping problem.

Even the stock pistsons will cope with 300bhp no problem if you keep det away from them.

I bent my rods in two and the pistons were still fine.

But they are a bit of a lottery in the first place as the build quality is so shocking on them, but out of all the ones Ive seen fail so far, not one has had a decent map on it.

HBT 172 Cup
Yes the project is very much ongoing, albeit very slow progress. I made a few changes (not for the better), but if i hadn't have done i dont think i would see the car on the road until 2016, and i just cant hold my boost craving back that long.

11 months later i now have the engine built and in my possesion.
- Overbored 83mm block. Meganne 9:1 Wossner Pistons, Catcam Rods + Athena 1.6mm MLS gasket taking compression to ~8.8:1.
- ARP studded block, (mains and head, rod), with main caps linehoned to suit.
- 1 Pieces Sinus valves, a heap of work to the cyl head, new guides, seats, seats modified to suit the valves, custom headwork. Catcam valve springs but retaining OE cams.

I sold the 02M gearbox i had, yes i know it would have been great but in the middle of a house purchase i've had to tame the spending considerably. Selling that meant i was able to get my 172 cup JC5 rebuilt at Agnecy Tranmissions and got them to put a 182 diff in at the same time so at least i dont have a circlip to contend with now.

I sold the turbo above, and in the end opted back where i started pretty much with a new GT2871 56 Trim, with an internally 0.86 housing, again unfortunately keeping the log manifold to keep the costs down.

The swirl pot and high flow pump setup is 90% complete (just have a couple of lines to make up), and the 225 brembos and 300mm discs have been fitted, and as a Mishimoto J Line 500bhp capable intercooler also fitted. My aim is to fit the engine and box back into the car over the xmas period. I will update with pictures and more progress shortly :smile:

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Similar reason why I kept stock box [emoji20] shame really but hey ho time in the future to do all that

HBT 172 Cup
A pathetic update... the wind and rain really halts progress, but had some sunshine today. Built a plate and some brackets allowing the ECU to be mounted over the gearbox mount tray casting, and re routed the wires neartly and sorted out the +12v junction box. Also made an actuator bracket, the actuator still sits close to the brake lines but it should be OK!

IMG_20150111_122746Custom_zps8899f84c.jpg

IMG_20150111_125228Custom_zps0f5b020d.jpg

IMG_20150111_150835Custom_zpsc757428a.jpg

IMG_20150110_150523Custom_zps0c20d788.jpg

The 197 braided lines are too long for a 172 so i had to make a bracket to hold them away from chassis (mot failure), seem to be OK but need to test clearance with the car on the ground at normal ride height.

IMG_20150101_155001Custom_zps1296bdb6.jpg

Engine bay starting to take shape :)

IMG_20150111_154405Custom_zpsc2796e74.jpg

IMG_20150111_155738Custom_zps4570d09d.jpg

Want to buy an alloy radiator, need to purchase a vband adaptor for the exhaust so i can get the exhaust built at the end of the month. Then need to have the intercooler outlet pipes modified and start building all the turbo pipework (i want a 1 piece hardpipe kit which i will cut and shape myself and have it all welded), and need to figure out how to get the turbo water lines spliced into the forge silicone hoses "correctly".

All in good time :)

HBT 172 Cup
A small update, but an update none the less. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter :smile:

Got myself an alloy rad and some fans, and set about making some brackets to fit them. I opted for front facing fans that blow through the rad, not because they perform better, purely for the fact you get a lot more space behind the radiator for boost pipes, the stock fan is a chunky beast, a nice touch I thought.

IMG_20150215_165235_zpsrxqfmimm.jpg

received_10155151360345364_zps2esyqyfj.jpg

I've done some testing of the high pressure fuel system, apart from a small leak its all good, but the ph1 regulator can't return enough fuel and runs at 3.5bar at atmospheric pressure.

Luckily my mate was selling a few parts of his evo so I picked up a SARD fuel regulator he was selling and plumbed it in and can now fully control fuel pressure properly.

Hopeng to prime the engine tommorow and re stud manifold and fit turbo properly. More updates to follow shortly.

HBT 172 Cup
What's wrong with the current studs?

The manifold had no studs so i had to put new ones on.

Making more progress now and the "to do" list is getting small and smaller. I have mounted the oil catch tank, spent a fortune on silicone hoses and have just about mocked it all up exactly, its quite a challenge to route 2 x 2.5" pipe runs around the bay, and then a 3" pipe run for the turbo intake, space is definately not at our disposal on the clios. Mangaged to snap the map sensor pipe (the plastic is awfully brittle), ordered a new one from carparts4less, it arrived opened the box (the correct box for the sensor!), to be greeted with a random thermostat, wtf?? Work that one out!

Anyway phoned up ECP and they sorted me one out so i decided to have a crack at getting the engine running for the first time, and it did just that :) Few issues fuel leak on the main feed hose but i left that slightly loose, fixed in seconds. An oil leak appeared on the turbo oil feed too, but turns out i have the incorrect adaptor fitted (M11 x 1, instead of the correct 7/16" x 24), so ill get the right one. Apart from that it sounds all good, obviously very noisy as there is no exhaust on the car yet. More updates soon...

RB Clio 182
Bloody hell, mine feels nippy at 280 lol, standard box?

Good progress, what teething problems have you got?

HBT 172 Cup
High Boost Graph;
High%20Boost_zpsnjbnq04p.jpg

Low Boost Graph;
Low%20Boost_zpsui2qpgdm.jpg

Mapping day brought all sorts of problems, seized lambda sensors, exploding coolant bottles, popped heater matrix pipes, self loosening power steering pipes, fuel leaks, front bumper continually popping out at the side from scrubbing issues. Im am shocked i managed to get it back to Bristol! Even worse i didnt have break down cover!
Chris has done a pretty epic job at mapping it, im usually very picky in the most minor of faults but genuinely cant fault it, the car has never ran so smooth, no hesitation, no cold start issues, no accell fuelling issues, good on fuel, and for a very reasonable cost. So naturally he comes highly reccomended from me!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Great job mate, would of loved to of seen what you made with 1 Bar, so far only Blightly and you have been in the ball park figure to what I made previously.

413bhp is really impressive, my EGTs were going mental at 380 so we turned the boost back down to 1.2 and 374bhp. Start buying spare gearboxes