ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adeys F4RT Twingo GT

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So I got a little footage earlier for you all, nothing worth while though so once the tracking is done and I've sorted a few niggles I will get some more. I want to do a run on the same stretch as my old acceleration video from when it was still a 1149cc.

Here's some general waffle and bollox about it.

I've also had a quick tally up of the cost....... A huge chunk of which was mapping. Id also like to thank everyone who has helped with sending spares and cheap parts my way to build it as without them it wouldn't of gone together so quick or as cheaply, So Thank you (y) . I think I've also mentioned previously that I bagged the engine for a bargain, again without that you can add an easy 1k to the build cost.

So spend to date (including mapping) £1158.23 take away everything I've sold to offset it at £671

Total build/conversion cost of £487.23

Hope you have enjoyed the ride, I certainly haven't lol... lies its been fun. Spending hours upon hours on the web researching over the last few months and putting it together have been entertaining and have really helped keep me sane whilst off work. Pikey Mod Tuning ftw (y)

Thanks for reading (y) I will keep it going as there's a fair bit I want and need to do to it still to try and make use of the power it now has :D

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Looks to be a quick car!

Well done for building this. It's been good to keep following.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
do it @RustyMojo , don't mind helping out, start with a GT though as it has the ecu you want (y)

I have the saved search sorted, it maybe my next winter project. Helpful that you have documented it all mate. Be funny if there was a few localish. I’m deffo up for it, just need to get the house build finalised so I know how skint I will be. Looks like I can pick up a right GT twingo for sub £1k. Added benefit of it being silly small means I get more garage space back! Bonus

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mind blowing what you’ve achieved on such a small budget.
Hats off to you mate, you’re a clever bloke.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I have the saved search sorted, it maybe my next winter project. Helpful that you have documented it all mate. Be funny if there was a few localish. I’m deffo up for it, just need to get the house build finalised so I know how skint I will be. Looks like I can pick up a right GT twingo for sub £1k. Added benefit of it being silly small means I get more garage space back! Bonus
Think we may struggle to find an engine that cheap though after what I was looking at last night

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
There’s an 85k estate version for sale on FB market place for £1500 complete car. Probably better to buy that and break the car, may get most of the money back if you could get a complete car cheap enough
I didn't realise the engine was used in other cars. What else should I look out for?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Does this fall into my "fastest you can go for 5k" thread? 🤣
£4999.99 🤔

I didn't realise the engine was used in other cars. What else should I look out for?

Came in the laguna gt 205 I think that came in both saloon and estate versions. Not sure if the espace/aventine also had the same engine. Then the meganes.

If its a 160 to 170bhp 2.0ltr turbo its not the one you want. If its over 200bhp it should be 👍🏻

Boosted Twingo RS133
We have a max boost of 17psi (y) the cooler works really well and intake temps were good thus not needing to go too wild with the boost pressure. The whole setup worked quite well actually.
Thats brilliant, you on the stock 225 turbo as im sure thats usually the limit for them.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Thats brilliant, you on the stock 225 turbo as im sure thats usually the limit for them.

Yeah stock and pretty much all it will give I guess. You can run 19 20psi sometimes. Im told they will do around 260 to 280bhp generally with the bolts ons and a map and im getting whats was expected. With an Rs250 turbo fitted it'll give some more on top of that

Boosted Twingo RS133
Yeah stock and pretty much all it will give I guess. You can run 19 20psi sometimes. Im told they will do around 260 to 280bhp generally with the bolts ons and a map and im getting whats was expected. With an Rs250 turbo fitted it'll give some more on top of that
Yeah thats what im doing for now on mine before i go to a G25 so pretty good to see the numbers youve made and i can sort of compare the 1.6 to the 2.0, little worried about my compression tho. low comp pistons we measured it to be 8:1 so good for high boost.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So back with a little bit of work on the car, namely looking into the driveshaft issue I have/had. I was unsure if my driveshaft was knackered or if it was bottoming out under compression, removing camber and raising the ride height 5mm seemed to cure it..... Whilst chatting with Chris he suggested checking how much free play there was in the shaft by simply removing the hub nut and tapping it back as far as it would go until it went solid, he had measured an average of 20mm push back on factory cars and he works with that figure when making custom shafts for the drag car. I gave it ago on the side I have an issue, and I only measure 6/7mm before it binds up and stops moving. Now this is an issue as I'm running pretty much 0 camber currently, the factory alignment asks for near 1 I think and I generally have about 1.5 neg for spirited driving and getting out of corners. Adding this back in will push the driveshaft in more causing the issue again...

So I need to do some investigation, see if there's some combo or some machining I can do without having a shaft made up for it. Maybe there's a way I can push the wishbones out a little to gain some width, I seem to remember someone making elliptical wishbone mounts. Need to put my thinking hat on to get it done the PMT way.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
172 wishbones are the same width as GT items just have more castor. i have them and a 172 arb fitted

rs133 items are aluminium but pics make it look like they fit the same, they don't have provisions for the arb though. im assuming the extra width is in them and not the subframe itself.....

a switch to 133 wishbones would then require at a minimum wishbones, arb drop links and 133 specific coilovers to hold the arb, might as well fit the hubs too. probably abit too involved for my liking.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Ah see. I just have a spare set you could of borrowed and tried if they just bolted up without all the rest needed doing. I think the 133 set up looks similar to a mk3 clio 197/200

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
@Twingo 1?? I know you are a busy chap but could you get me some measurements off them if you get chance? between the bushes, inside to inside and outside to outside and centre line of the bolt holes up to the centre of the ball joint please?

rs133wishbone.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers @KitsonRis

So they look very close to bolt on compared between each other, maybe a slight difference in bushes. length though..... the rs133 wishbone looks near to 35mm longer. way too much for me to use, i need to gain 10 maybe15mm or loose that length from a shaft.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Did you have vibration issues with no plunge?

I have the same issue regarding driveshaft plunge on the Kangoo, 8mm or so on current setup which is classed as almost acceptable with solid mounts. I measured it on the 250 and found the same result as Scoff said, around 15/20mm.

I believe the 172 can suffer the same plunge issue with lots of negative camber.

Another option is a Northloopcup roll correction kit, will give 10mm track width a side iirc

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I had a vibration issue that seemed to happen when turning slightly and during compression on the back lanes. Initially I thought it was a joint on the driveshaft giving up. Then it wouldn't do it when just turning on the flat so I thought it was a plunge issue. Raised the suspension 5mm and took all the camber out and the problem went away (I think I may of felt it slightly with some very spirited driving)

yeah its just the drivers side shaft, the one I've made out of 2 to be the correct (not very well) length. I will give the engine a nudge over though I think I've already pushed it and its pretty much solidly mounted now. If I can solve it with that ill be very happy, I've read a few people doing similar with sadevs fitted. Might even be able to sort it fully with just the right combo of shafts.

The ride height is ok and within what I wanted, near 0 camber is making things abit sketchy in the corners especially when wet so if I can dial some of that back in ill be happy.

I should be able to gain a few mm here and there with some tweaks to the wishbones, possibly mod the subframe with the mounting points 8mm further out as per the 172 cup subframes. A little more width on the track wouldn't be a bad thing.

We will see (y)