ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Evo 5 RS
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

lol nothing different mate. It's just been machined together and is brand new. All I was getting at is Phil's engine is just a cup that's had a good life, and he's not really done anything fancy other than bolt on the bodies. So aslong as it's healthy it's just a tight little number that's not been chopped or tinkered. And yeah corner cutting is a factor lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Danny, Operating variations away from recommendations are the biggest reason any dyno misreads IME

SO easy on a DD setup to find an extra 20bhp that doesnt exist if you just happen to accidentally operate it slightly wrong.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

lol nothing different mate. It's just been machined together and is brand new. All I was getting at is Phil's engine is just a cup that's had a good life, and he's not really done anything fancy other than bolt on the bodies. So aslong as it's healthy it's just a tight little number that's not been chopped or tinkered. And yeah corner cutting is a factor lol

If its done 100K and not gone wrong yet, its a good indication there isnt anything major wrong with it, but the parts arent of a good enough quality to treat as the basis for reliable racing really. Its a good cheap option though for moderate power, especially when gains are so hard to get compared to a lot of engines.

Evo 5 RS

they're genuinely not. SF torque calculations are a little higher than a DD due to the algorthyms they use for calculations, and that's pretty much across the board, but you're talking 2-5lb/ft on a 172/182. KTR rollers read the same as SRR in my experience, within 2bhp either way, where TDF reads consitently 5% higher, mainly due to not applying losses in the way the dyno and software were designed and intended to be used by Superflow

Fair enough, in fairness I'm talking in the past, as I said earlier their averaging figures seem to have gone up and up over the last year or so. But ho-hum

If its done 100K and not gone wrong yet, its a good indication there isnt anything major wrong with it, but the parts arent of a good enough quality to treat as the basis for reliable racing really. Its a good cheap option though for moderate power, especially when gains are so hard to get compared to a lot of engines.

The thing is though - do you spend money rebuilding the engine, better rod bolts, blah blah blah to make it a better base for racing - or do you just drive the fucker with 200bhp like you've stolen it and when the engine gives way buy another one for £250 an swap it in lol

Clio engines are so cheap I can't really justify building a better engine TBH

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

The thing is though - do you spend money rebuilding the engine, better rod bolts, blah blah blah to make it a better base for racing - or do you just drive the f**ker with 200bhp like you've stolen it and when the engine gives way buy another one for £250 an swap it in lol

Jay and tony worked on that basis for 2 years, breaking a handful of enignes in the process. Then I built them an engine and they became front runners

Evo 5 RS

If you've got the cash like Fred said earlier just go balls out especially for racing or at least build from scratch. It's just so hit and miss otherwise. Tony and Jay's original engine did bloody well considering though. But look how much quicker they are this year.

It depends who what and where you are, I don't have the mechanical knowledge to just go out and buy a scrapper which is sold as a runner, take the head off and say "That be alright". Miss something like a small score etc, then you'd have to fit it, find out it's using oil and take the f**ker out again. Just as much as Dan or Fred probably don't like being handed second hand s**t as it makes them semi liable.

If you can do it all yourself it's a different story, but I'd still go with a scratch build now tbh

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

The thing is though - do you spend money rebuilding the engine, better rod bolts, blah blah blah to make it a better base for racing - or do you just drive the f**ker with 200bhp like you've stolen it and when the engine gives way buy another one for £250 an swap it in lol

If you are racing, it costs a lot of money to attend a race only to keep blowing up an engine, false economy.

For arsing around on the road or a few trackdays though, and if you have plenty of spare time to keep swapping engines then fair enough.

Jay and tony worked on that basis for 2 years, breaking a handful of enignes in the process. Then I built them an engine and they became front runners

Fair enough
If I wanted to get more power out of mine I'd have you or Fred build me an engine - but from a pure reliability thing mines done about 10 full track days and a week at the ring now and it's still spot on. It's one of those things isn't it - can't really justify building a "more reliable" engine until this one dies lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Fair enough
If I wanted to get more power out of mine I'd have you or Fred build me an engine - but from a pure reliability thing mines done about 10 full track days and a week at the ring now and it's still spot on. It's one of those things isn't it - can't really justify building a "more reliable" engine until this one dies lol

If you only want standard power, its not such an issue, its when you spend a lot of time over 7500rpm you are chancing things on a standard engine.
And unless you cant drive, you wont ever be doing that on standard cams anyway.

BMW Z4

Just chatted to Fred about this but Ill throw this one in here just in case anyone has an idea and because Ash's thread has a lot of attention at the moment so I shall hijack it :eek:

All my jobs are done so I oiled her up and started it on axle stands, ran it up to temp and drip drip from exactly the same place. I could have cried LOL. Just stared at it and then went f**k it and took it all off again. It is the main crank seal that is leaking and it was probably this before. Thing is

The seal was all the way home flush to the cap
The cap is not leaking and looks fine
Genuine Renault seal
Leaking from the seal to crank part (the orange bit)
Not pissing out but a drip every now and then
No visible marks on the seal when I took it out
No visible marks on crank apart from the wear line that runs around it?

Thoughts?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Thoughts are that short of something like a bent crank, I dont see why that would leak TBH if what you said is correct.

Is it possible its from somewhere higher up and running down and looking like its from there?

BMW Z4

Thoughts are that short of something like a bent crank, I dont see why that would leak TBH if what you said is correct.

Is it possible its from somewhere higher up and running down and looking like its from there?

I can't see the crank being bent as that would have other consequences. Yes defo leaking from there, I whipped it all off toot sweet so I could see where it was coming from and there was a clear dribble from the bottom of the orange seal across the seal face and then down the sump.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Guy i know had a bent crank on a zetec-s 1600 16v, that kept weeping at the crank seal and they couldnt figure out why for ages, in the end MWM-sport clocked the crank and it was bent, no other symptoms at all though, still drove mint.

Not saying it is likely to be that, but you are kind of running out of likely options so need to start looking at unlikely ones too?

BMW Z4

The only other thing I can think is.

Seal Banged in to far
Seal Not banged in far enough

Fair point on the crank though I don't think it's that.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Just chatted to Fred about this but Ill throw this one in here just in case anyone has an idea and because Ash's thread has a lot of attention at the moment so I shall hijack it :eek:

All my jobs are done so I oiled her up and started it on axle stands, ran it up to temp and drip drip from exactly the same place. I could have cried LOL. Just stared at it and then went f**k it and took it all off again. It is the main crank seal that is leaking and it was probably this before. Thing is

The seal was all the way home flush to the cap
The cap is not leaking and looks fine
Genuine Renault seal
Leaking from the seal to crank part (the orange bit)
Not pissing out but a drip every now and then
No visible marks on the seal when I took it out
No visible marks on crank apart from the wear line that runs around it?

Thoughts?

probably snagged the seal when it was going on. I grease them to prevent that

Although, I'm not convinced, It's always the cap, even when it doesn't look like it

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Image0307.jpg

see the edge is chamfered? well where that locates is a normal corner, so you have a triangular hole straight out of the block. This needs generously sealing up with instant gasket/silicon/RTV. Same goes for the groove, needs lots of sealing up

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Firstly, sorry to hear of James' continued woes. :( I hope you get things back on track (no pun intended) in better shape than ever.

Secondly, an interesting read over the last couple or three pages - and a little concerning. :S

Qashcow

Ouch, sorry to hear about the engine but it sounds like it had a good run at the ring and spa

I wonder what it looks like inside, this was one of my attempts when I was on a track day at Leguna Seca (read M4/M5 interchange at 40mph..)

0981a218.gif

6af9ad2a.gif

330i. E30 Touring.
James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic Heavy

Proper effort, that!

Thanks for all the nice words guys! What a tough year its been, Glad I have managed to get to the end of the season this year as a few months ago it was looking unlikely! I have learnt so much this year made so many great friends from this forum and overall I have enjoyed every minute! Massive thank you to everyone who has given me advice over the year and also to Fred at BTM who really has turned the car round in terms of reliability. The PAS pipe that went in Oulton was my own fault for not swapping it the other month but I thought it would last and the engine exploding well it was just inevitable but I will explain that in more detail in the full write up.

I am away from tonight until Sunday but I will try and get the multiple write ups done and sort through the video's!

Next week the engine will be out and I am going to strip it down myself to start to learn about how engines work and then I will make a start on the work list for winter :)

Also just want to thank Porkie and Chip for the Ring/Spa trip over the last few days it really was an incredible end to the season and I look forward to writing up the full details in the write up!

Thanks also for all the support from everyone over the last year on here and on FB/Twitter I think without all the help I would have given up a long time ago. I think with the work planned for winter the car will be really good next year and hopefully very reliable! Many plans to fill everyone in on so watch out for the write ups :)

Best Wishes
James

Lionel Richie

I'd like to thank Zoltan for fix what the f**k s**t in hand like poopoo pancake (yeah we have no idea what he's on about either!)

Haha yes I do always struggle have many photo's :(! Are you offering mate :rasp:

How were the ones from the weekend? Thanks again for coming was great to see you both!

I'd like to thank Zoltan for fix what the f**k s**t in hand like poopoo pancake (yeah we have no idea what he's on about either!)
Yes of course you and Zoltan are one and the same ;) I can't believe the turnaround! Bring on next season :)

Haha yes I do always struggle have many photo's :(! Are you offering mate :rasp:

How were the ones from the weekend? Thanks again for coming was great to see you both!

I'm trying pretty hard to get proper media passes for next year. If I don't end up entering the tin tops myself I will definitely be at every race next year taking photos. Bit of camping with the burpspeed lads and then track photography all day - bliss.

I've got 700+ photos to edit from the weekend, not had chance yet lol - hoping to get them up tonight

Ahh that would be great but also great if you come out racing!

I camp every race too although when I say camp I mean sleep in the car haha!

Wow can't wait to see them thanks again!

Merc A class

See you next year mate ;)

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Look forward to your write up jay wants to see you video of the start (if your camera was working) to see how clues he was to hitting you.

been a great year hopefully next year will be more rewarding.
Hopefully I can get to stay over the night before and Anglesey has some good weather!

Thanks Mike and thanks again for everything this year was very kind of you to be calming me down at Oulton before the race :)

Yes it was working I sent Jay a screen shot the other night when I was on the ferry.

Yes I think it will be a cracker next year

That would be great and hopefully I can get rid of my bad luck at Anglesey lol

Look forward to your write up jay wants to see you video of the start (if your camera was working) to see how clues he was to hitting you.

been a great year hopefully next year will be more rewarding.
Hopefully I can get to stay over the night before and Anglesey has some good weather!

Go to the 'allo allo school for english???? piftick winker and all that....lol

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Go to the 'allo allo school for english???? piftick winker and all that....lol

That's why I'm welsh - not the best excuse.

But using an iPhone don't help some times.

200 Silverstone Gp

James ,

Hello again mate :) we meet again but this time online !!!!LOL

Firstly glad to see your thread on here , not been on here before so was a surprise to see it .

Second ref TDF seems fred is looking after you now and should be able to provide all the support you need .

third good luck with the continuing build of the car .

Kind regards

Arron - Silverstone GP 200.

Hi Arron hope you are well :) You still working for TDF? I hope your 200 is going well :)

Thank you very much looking forward to this winter and should be a good season next year hopefully :)

Hopefully bump into you at some point in the future

Best Wishes
James

200 Silverstone Gp

Funny you say that . . . .

Never worked for them . . . well it's a long story . . . politics

I too have been heading to pastures new .let them get on with their "pro motorsport" duties. . . .

Shame but some things in life just dont work out as planned . Car still continues to develop but thinking of buying a 182 too :)

However if i do i will be looking for someone else to look after it .

Yeh would be good to catch up.

Arron.

Hi Arron hope you are well :) You still working for TDF? I hope your 200 is going well :)

Thank you very much looking forward to this winter and should be a good season next year hopefully :)

Hopefully bump into you at some point in the future

Best Wishes
James

James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic Heavy

Funny you say that . . . .

Never worked for them . . . well it's a long story . . . politics

I too have been heading to pastures new .let them get on with their "pro motorsport" duties. . . .

Shame but some things in life just dont work out as planned . Car still continues to develop but thinking of buying a 182 too :)

However if i do i will be looking for someone else to look after it .

Yeh would be good to catch up.

Arron.
Ahhh sorry Arron I didn't realise that hope all was okay!

Haaah lol yes I've heard that and a few other crackers before but I will refrain ;)

Yes exactly mate and glad the car is still coming on well! Wouldn't be a bad idea they are such cracking cars!

I'm sure I'll see you early next year at a trackday :)

Evo 5 RS

This Zoltan sounds like he needs his own soundboard lol

Wrote the various write ups last night on the train and they total nearly 6000 words :S I am just reading through it and spell checking but am thinking to myself who in thier right mind is going to read these lol! Shall I keep posting my normal write ups or start to really condence them down? I dont want to bore people!

Answers on a postcard please :)