ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup or Racing Puma - Swap

My mate is selling his FRP to fund an Evo 6. He said he just needs a car to sell to make £9500 - £10k. He said that he would give me a straight swap if I wanted as both cars are worth about the same. My Cup is a Dec 53 plate with 6.5k on the clock, and his FRP is a 2000 model on an X with 35k on the clock. Minted condition. Question, do I swap??

Mac

Ziel Nurburgring

Why is he "Selling" the puma to fund the Evo, but offering to swap the car? FRPs are nice though, tough one. The FRP would probably hold its value better

[Edited by blink172 on 30 July 2004 at 10:11am due to his dreadful spelling]

was your mate up at anstruther after crail last sunday mac? we saw one when we were getting our best chippy in the world...courtesy of scott

[Edited by badinvincible because my head is up my arse on 30 July 2004 at 10:16am]

Mike, I dont think that it would be him at Anstruther mate.

He said that he will sell the FRP, but wanted to offer it to me it 1st, as it needs to go to a good home. He is a Ford mechanic and it has been maintained to a high standard. It also has Focus RS/325mm discs on the front. The only thing is, do I swap from a nearly new car to a 4 year old one?

He said he will just sell mine for the same price as the FRP??

I know Mike, the FRP has done a bit of miles compared to my Cup too. Any more advice to make my mind up peeps??

Sounds to me like youve already made your mind up, and just want someone to justify the FRP to you so you can g for it :)

Puma Racings are Superb. My brother in law has got one that hes had since new. It feels miles quicker than what it says on paper. They look the puppies as well. And the best bit, you never see them on the road and they hardly ever come up for sale.

I would buy the Puma for weekends and keep the clio for the week. That way you wont put many miles on the Puma and in a few years time it will still be worth a nice amount of wedge. :D

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Id go for the Puma but probably not as practical a hatch as the clio for everyday use. Rarer though and IMHO a good car.

Only you can make the decision.

Id love to go for the Puma, but can I justify going from a car with 6.5k on the clock to one with 35k - and out of waranty?

Slinky, sorry, it needs to one or the other - cant afford both!:(

Quote: Originally posted by MAC30L on 30 July 2004
Id love to go for the Puma, but can I justify going from a car with 6.5k on the clock to one with 35k - and out of waranty?Slinky, sorry, it needs to one or the other - cant afford both!:(

Bummer!!
The angel on your left shoulder is saying Clio and the devil on your right shoulder is saying Puma.
Good luck to you, what ever you decide!!

MAC- dont let me down squire!! Essex metal indeed, probably the only thing Id have LESS than French. I had a wee head to head with one outside Stirling last week and it was not in it.

Fancy a tour round to windy stuff on Sunday am to help you make up yer mind? I have a set of F1s I need to wear in.

racing puma hold there value really well,

things to think of also is the cost of keeping it running,

the 4pot calipers have no dust seals so mat need an overhaul, pads and disc are expensive.

Some one round the corner from me has one, does look the business.

Dootchy, I am waiting on Eibachs turning up at my door! Worrking Sunday + Monday, then off for 2 weeks.

Will give you a buzz through the week for a blast.

They do look nice and handle well but it makes more sense to keep the Cup really. Thing is theyre not that quick and i couldnt bring myself to modify such a rare car.

-Rob

look nice, supposed to be one of the best handling cars there is. just not as much of a beast as it should be, keep the cup for its straight line speed.

Id keep the Cup if its a straight swap. I know the FRP is a very special car, but you cant ignore the fact that the Cup is probably just as good in terms of handling, is faster by some margin and is three years younger.

The FRP in question sounds like a lovely car, but just as with cars like the Elise and Willy, the enthusiastic cult following means that their prices are a bit high for what they really are. If you would be walking away from the swap with a few grand it might be worth it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

For what its worth, Top Gear magazine tested a FRP, Mk1 Clio 172, and a Mk1 Integra Type-R back in April 2000.

They covered some challenging back roads, and finished with timed laps of Pembrey circuit. Lap times were...

FRP - 1:13:75
Teg - 1:15:48
172 - 1:15:40
So, ultimately, the FRP is quicker around a circuit, but they ended the review with... "Which leaves the greatest hooligan of them all, the Renaultsport Clio 172; the cheapest and the most fun over the best British backroads. Its the ideal accomplice for a life of motoring misbehaviour!".

You pays your money, and makes your choice...

Ive got a PDF of the article if anyone wants it...PM me your e-mail address.

Mark

yeah, I would maybe have jumped at the chance had the FRP had a few less miles/the Cup had a few more. I think the Cup will be staying.

The mileage/age factor is one that IMHO cant be ignored. You know your own Cup but even with the FRP having been well cared for you might well end up taking on a heap of problems you could well do without - purely down to the age of components. Better the devil you know.

Saw a mag the other day where some chap had replaced the standard lump with a mildly tweaked RS Focus one - now that would be worth having (but itd cost ya a tad more I guess).

Hmmm I keep hearing great things about the Puma, is it really that great round a track? The handling is meant to be phenominal according to some people? Whats the difference between a racing Puma and a normal one?

those pumas are amazing cars though. my GF has a puma 1.7 16v, not the racing, but that thing alone is quick and handles very well. its a little small inside, and has the fiesta dash layout which isnt ugly, but my 6.3 shell is abit too big for it.

FRPs are lovely, and it will hold its value bettter than the cup. its a real shame about the mileage, although 35k is still low, its alot more than your cup. for that reason id say keep the cup although i do think the FRP is a better car, rare as anything, and stands out of a crowd.

Would have to drive a FRP to get an idea of what its really like - The power figures would put me off but a few have said its faster than given credit for.

As far as the milage goes 35k is really low anyway and unless your planning a trip round the world I doubt you will get much trouble with the engine. Maybe as cliosport is full of new car owners 35k is seen as lot on here:confused:

172 cup TT

Is this a joke? :confused: - i really dont understand why there is so much love for the F"R(?)"P in this thread.. granted it doesnt look bad, and may hold a bit of its value but thats as far as it goes...a friend of mine has one and it cannot even TRY and compete against my cup, its on an entirely different level.. it gets flack from Nova GSis etc... I also have the said article in my hands where it beats the 172 round a track, and to be honest, i really dont see how.. i honestly dont, but hey, it wasnt a cup in the article, its a MK1 172.

nice

You dont see how what magazines see as one of the best FWD handling cars ever can beat a MK1 172 - which is only a decent hanlding car and not even the best handling clio round a track? LOL

The FRP may not be much in straight line but apparently has tonnes of grip. Something a MK1 172 doesnt have as standard and the Cup isnt regarded as one of the best FWD handling cars ever which suggests to me that it wont go round a track as quick as a FRP.

If you know of Nova GSIs that handle like a FRP then I suggest you buy one!

As I said before its the lack of straight line speed that would put me off. Now a turbod one.....

Embarrassed to say

Dont know if anyone has said this but unless you live near birmingham keep the cup. Ford dealers are just useless when it comes to the FRP. Why dont you sell the cup private and use the funds to get a 182.

A friend of mine had a racing puma for a year or so, was an amazing car round a track and to look at but in a straight line it wasnt all that, zs180 and 172 both beat him. Hes now got a williams 2 though and that is pretty awful in comparison.

Also worth bearing in mind they are expensive to repair and service.