ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS on 172 Cup

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes I think you are right, but after 2 bad experiences with the DCi rack I was reluctant to splash out on a new one after pricing one up with Renault Wolverhampton!

Ive had loads of trouble with what appeared to be decent secondhand ones based on inspection and testing before fitting being rubbish when actually put under load on the car too mate, so I feel your pain! In fact I fitted a replacement one last weekend for exactly that reason on our 182.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I think the dci rack is fine but the epas column can wear and cause knocking when under heavy load. One of our dcis does it and the noise is definitely not coming from the rack.

FF Clio 182
So what you saying it don't go EPAS just keep the standard rack and loop the piping ? Surely that would be brutal at low speed manoeuvring?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So what you saying it don't go EPAS just keep the standard rack and loop the piping ? Surely that would be brutal at low speed manoeuvring?

No he is saying go EPAS column and motor etc, but dont bother changing the actual rack itself.

FF Clio 182
Wouldn't that create some resistance when it comes to the rack having to push fluid around the loop.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Before swapping out the rack I was 50/50 on whether it was the rack or the column, but with the replacement rack on the knocking has stopped so it must have been my rack.

Clio 172
Wouldn't that create some resistance when it comes to the rack having to push fluid around the loop

All of the fluid was drained prior to looping. The pinion is still lubricated with grease on the power rack so the lack of power steering fluid in there shouldn't cause any issues.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
it completed the set up and mounts directly to the subframe instead of having bushes

Clio 172
What was the initial advantage of changing to the DCI rack in the first place ?

It's a lot lighter and has a direct mount to the subframe which is 1) much easier to fit and 2) eliminates the possibility of the rack moving as there are no longer rubber bushes to perish.

FF Clio 182
It's a lot lighter and has a direct mount to the subframe which is 1) much easier to fit and 2) eliminates the possibility of the rack moving as there are no longer rubber bushes to perish.

Cheaper and you managed to kill 2 so probably best to stick with standard rack

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That's of course up to you but I never had a problem with mine. The steering rack bolts and far easier to access on the EPAS set up with the subframe in the car.

I believe some DCI's do have this problem with notchy racks but the one I bought was brand new ex stock. Smooth as and took some punishment around brands and the ring.

Experiences with second hand DCIs though is that the rack can feel a little worn. Gaiters split and allow grit in

Clio 172
Considering all comments then maybe the advice should be - If you are going to fit a brand new DCi rack then great, crack on and you will get all of the advantages (cheaper, lighter, easier to fit, better mounting), but if you can't source a new DCi rack or don't want to pay for one then the standard power rack looped is a good alternative albeit lacking some of the advantages of the DCi rack.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
it's a murky line.

Do best with what you have available to you. People doing these conversions can use their loaf :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Considering all comments then maybe the advice should be - If you are going to fit a brand new DCi rack then great, crack on and you will get all of the advantages (cheaper, lighter, easier to fit, better mounting), but if you can't source a new DCi rack or don't want to pay for one then the standard power rack looped is a good alternative albeit lacking some of the advantages of the DCi rack.

Lots of the standard racks have play in them, if your doesnt then consider looping it, but if it does you may as well swap to a dci as swap to another unknown condition 172 one anyway.

Iceberg 172
Lots of the standard racks have play in them, if your doesnt then consider looping it, but if it does you may as well swap to a dci as swap to another unknown condition 172 one anyway.

Are there not any solid bushes/mounts that can be used on the standard power steering rack?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are there not any solid bushes/mounts that can be used on the standard power steering rack?

Not that I am aware of personally.

Although powerflex do uprated ones, and I think NOOS on here did some too that were stiffer than standard

Clio 172
Not sure if it includes the rods and ends. Sourcing a good second hand one is difficult as my second one appeared to be perfect in every way until it was on the car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How hard is it to remove the standard rack ?

Balache if putting another hydraulic back on but quite easy if you cut the pipes rather than mess about undoing them!

EPAS one goes in and out really easy. Could happily change it on lunch break at a trackday.

FF Clio 182
Balache if putting another hydraulic back on but quite easy if you cut the pipes rather than mess about undoing them!

EPAS one goes in and out really easy. Could happily change it on lunch break at a trackday.

So only cut the hoses if you 100% sure lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Power rack also slides in through the side if you cut all of the pipes which I was relieved about!

Yeah, when I EPAS'ed our 182 I didnt need to drop the subframe like I would if changing a normal power rack like we did on our 172.

CRX,205,Type S,172..
just to say my opinion
after a year of driving with epas (first custom electrics, later an ebay box) i took it off... the playstation feeling was killing me, but i learned to live with it... the worst part was the epas couldnt cope with the sudden changes of direction, and the steering wheel would become much harder to turn right away... my setup didnt help either (3 deg of castor , low right height, r888 ect) ... i ended up puting an astra g ehpas pump, and i'm more than satisfied... the "oil" feeling on the steering wheel is great, the wheel isnt to hard, and isnt too light...just the way as it should be...so i would recomend it to everyone...the pump is rather easy to fit...

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Can someone do a summary of this for me please?

My power steering pump is leaking on my cup, I'd like to get rid of some more s**t from the engine bay of I could so this seems like a good option.

What am I looking at price wise, what parts will I need and how much work is it?

Thanks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry I'm In a 172 cup. Which bits won't I need? Haha
If your on a cup you need everything in that list except the alternator. You remove your p/steering pump and lines, the original column and the rack if your fitting a dci item. Then it's a case of fit the column, control box fitting and wiring in and rack assuming that's the option you choose. Easy. The worst bit of the job is fitting the epas column as you have to remove and refit the motor. The access to the bolts is awful with the lower half of the dash in place. It's doable though.