ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

frazjam's Ph1 172

172 Cup (Track)
Looks great mate. Do you know if the cage is MSA compliant as to pass scrutineering for the SLS?

What price are they in the group buy if still open? I was planning getting a mate who builds stock cars/ cages to build my cage to MSA regs. They arent half specific though!!

Yes mate it is, hence why I'm getting it, spending a little more to save a lot of time and hassle! The group buy I think is closed, but if your quick go and find it and speak to Dan who was doing it, I know someone else added in to it yesterday

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I'm home for the start of march to the 17th so gives me a target date to get my car ready for.

Audi A5
Won't the guys next door to you need to be msa approved to weld your cage in or are they already? If your trying to keep it msa approved.

Audi A5
The cage from safety devices would come with all the required platforms/feet I would of thought. I was just thinking even though it's a bolt in cage the platforms/feet would still need to be welded in by an approved installer to be MSA approved. Theirs a list on the safety devices site of approved installers btw.

Does it not need welded platforms rather than just feet. If it is MSA approved then it will need plate mounting points and not just welded to the floor.

I said feet mounts aka platforms ;)

Tbh I'm not sure, I'm not stupid, I know the effectiveness of the cage is down to how well it's installed. I'll have a look into it but can't say I've ever seen anything about the mounts having to be welded in. Worst case I'll get a test piece done and approved, like you can do with weld ins. Thanks for your concern though!

Pretty sure you were asking for my Wilwoods a couple of month back ;)

I know, but I'm a tight caaaaahnt

172 Cup (Track)
Theres no such thing as an MSA approved welder, read the regs- it just has to be done with full penetration (whys that funny?) and generally good welding, no DIY bird s**t welds.

Its something thats been debated a lot as the cage is only as good as the welding holding it together!

For a bolt in, it needs base plates of certain size and thickness and certain tensile bolts. All which will come with your cage.

EDIT: From the MSA rollcage regs;

1.3.8. Guidance on Welding. All welding should be of
the highest possible quality with full penetration and
preferably using a gas shielded arc. Although good
external appearance of a weld does not necessarily
guarantee its quality, poor looking welds are never a sign
of good workmanship. When using heat-treated steel the
instructions of the manufacturer must be followed
(special electrodes, gas protected welding). It must be
emphasised that the use of heat-treated or medium
carbon steels may cause problems and that bad
fabrication may result in a decrease in strength (caused
by brittle heat-affected zones) or inadequate ductility.

Clio 172 Cup
Welding just needs to be of a high standard, not done by an Msa approved installer. I have the safety devices cage in my Clio and me and my dad done it in the garage. Car has since been MSA log booked and given the all clear.

Well I got the wishbones off to find these
gu9ady5y.jpg

u2amyqap.jpg

Standard procedure really so spoke to powerflex...
e7aqusuq.jpg

New black series! Will be fitted along with new ball joints, no longer taking new wishbones as there's no point really!

Also started stripping out the interior and removed that standard gear set up
ajyvaba2.jpg

172 Cup (Track)
Is that an offset metal insert in the bush? So camber is increased? Need to get some of them at some point as Clios are shocking for those bushes wearing.

What you planning for gearstick setup? Whats plans inside? Doorcards off i presume for cage, polycarb windows or that?

Is that an offset metal insert in the bush? So camber is increased? Need to get some of them at some point as Clios are shocking for those bushes wearing.

What you planning for gearstick setup? Whats plans inside? Doorcards off i presume for cage, polycarb windows or that?

Nah they are the old design, and the new ones are just standard aswell, the camber adjustable ones are extortionate!

I have a pure motorsport kit there, want to get the cage in before I fit it though!

Ye I have flat door cards there, still to order Polycarbs but getting them too!

172 Cup (Track)
Aye after i wrote that i checked Powerflex website and seen the adjustable camber ones- £240!! Oft.

Metal insert inside yours looked like it was set for adding camber, but now i see it bigger on my laptop (was on Iphone), the hole that looked offset is just the hole from the other bush that you can see through the bush youve pictured.. Lol

What kind of doorcards you got? Ill be making some from ABS plastic!

ACW Motorsport Plastics were best i could find for windows, ill let you know how they are when they come. £200 for front pair, rear pair, drivers slider and a fitting kit.

Aye after i wrote that i checked Powerflex website and seen the adjustable camber ones- £240!! Oft.

Metal insert inside yours looked like it was set for adding camber, but now i see it bigger on my laptop (was on Iphone), the hole that looked offset is just the hole from the other bush that you can see through the bush youve pictured.. Lol

What kind of doorcards you got? Ill be making some from ABS plastic!

ACW Motorsport Plastics were best i could find for windows, ill let you know how they are when they come. £200 for front pair, rear pair, drivers slider and a fitting kit.

Ye £240 is ridiculous, not needed you can get enough camber with bolts so that will do.

Door cards I got in the group on here, just a black plastic material.

I'm only buying front windows, no need for the back just yet, I'm going to get them from ACW aswell! Have you all ready bought yours?

172 Cup (Track)
Ye £240 is ridiculous, not needed you can get enough camber with bolts so that will do.

Door cards I got in the group on here, just a black plastic material.

I'm only buying front windows, no need for the back just yet, I'm going to get them from ACW aswell! Have you all ready bought yours?

Yeh crazy extra money over normal polybushes. My car already has lots of camber but havent stripped yet to see whats giving it!

I ordered the windows about a week ago, hopefully get them next week.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Best run a wire back to the handbrake Fraz or the stop/brake light will be on all the time.

Btw do you have a cup brake pipe for mc to drivers front? Not sure if I've lost it or if I didn't get it when I got the others, was so long ago and it's the only one we can't find!

Best run a wire back to the handbrake Fraz or the stop/brake light will be on all the time.

Btw do you have a cup brake pipe for mc to drivers front? Not sure if I've lost it or if I didn't get it when I got the others, was so long ago and it's the only one we can't find!

Mines was staying on constantly when it was plugged in, so wasn't plugged in all last year, it's now been cut!

Nah that was a small one, everything should be there, I'll double check the garage at my mum and dads but everything should of been there!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Fair enough.

Aye, tiny! I'm gonna take a few things out the shed in case it's fallen but we can't find it down the garage. That'd be grand cheers :)

172 Cup (Track)
Mines was staying on constantly when it was plugged in, so wasn't plugged in all last year, it's now been cut!

Nah that was a small one, everything should be there, I'll double check the garage at my mum and dads but everything should of been there!

Disconnect wire and light goes out, it gets earthed to switch it on.