ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Goodbye Cup - Hello CTR!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 25 January 2004

Can i ask a sensible question to those that have tested the CTR. I like the car but i had a concern that the gear stick looks quite far forward. Im a tall guy and i was just wondering if it means you have to lean forward to change? I had a similar thing on the Nissan Silvia i owned (Jap men being short and all that), and it kind of ruined the driving experience for me. Even on the Willy it is a bit far foward. If i put the seat where i want it for my long legs (ie as far back as possible) i can never reach the gear stick without pulling myself out of my seat.

It sounds wierd but the best car i have driven from a driving position point of view is the Daewoo Matiz. Pedals and gear stick just where i wanted them.

Its no further forward than normal. Its looks weird but its in the perfect position, right next to the steering wheel.

Ballsie....what was the name of the guy at parks? just curious as the guy who sold me my clio moved from their Kilmarnock Renault Outlet to work up there...Graeme Woodward was his name

Tappd'd RS

Funny you should ask, spoke to Graham yesterday, hes like the head salesman there - it was his car I drove.

I bought from Alfie Noble.

Ballsie, have to say whilst Parks are arseholes Graeme was a nice guy, didnt give me any sh*t and gave me a cracking deal on my clio

Tappd'd RS

He seems quite genuine - my dad and I thought at first he seemed a bit full of himself, but once we got talking after the deal was done he seemed really cool.

I cant complain - hes trying to get my car for the 1st of March!

Cup 172

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 25 January 2004

Join the club!

Vtec rules! Though you can see the fuel gauge move when your vtecing it!

The 04 model IMO is consideralby quicker than the outgoing model! I have been up to silly speeds before looking at the speedo and realising what I was doing!!
As far as I was aware, there is no difference in power output, only a slightly lighter flywheel. I cant really see how that would make it considerably quicker than an 03 model.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by MIKE-CUP on 26 January 2004

Join the club!

Vtec rules! Though you can see the fuel gauge move when your vtecing it!

The 04 model IMO is consideralby quicker than the outgoing model! I have been up to silly speeds before looking at the speedo and realising what I was doing!!
As far as I was aware, there is no difference in power output, only a slightly lighter flywheel. I cant really see how that would make it considerably quicker than an 03 model.

It picks up far quicker is 1st and 2nd gear and the lighter flywheel just means it revs a little more freely throughout the range. Thats just my opinion though every other CTR ive driven didnt feel quicker than my 172 but this does. Maybe Im wrong cos I have been without a car for a while!

LOL deluded

Paul go race VTEC Abuse @ York and see if your CTR is considerably quicker, if it is ill go order a 04 CTR tomoz with you being considerably quicker are you hoping to get into the 13s standard?

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 26 January 2004

EVO figured the model at 6.6 secs to 60, .2 secs quicker thn outgoing model. No 0-100 figs though

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 25 January 2004

Can i ask a sensible question to those that have tested the CTR. I like the car but i had a concern that the gear stick looks quite far forward. Im a tall guy and i was just wondering if it means you have to lean forward to change? I had a similar thing on the Nissan Silvia i owned (Jap men being short and all that), and it kind of ruined the driving experience for me. Even on the Willy it is a bit far foward. If i put the seat where i want it for my long legs (ie as far back as possible) i can never reach the gear stick without pulling myself out of my seat.

It sounds wierd but the best car i have driven from a driving position point of view is the Daewoo Matiz. Pedals and gear stick just where i wanted them.
you must be about the same height as me then m8, cos the Williams I have the same exact problem, its just a little too small. The CTR is perfect, Ive had a few goes in my m8s 03 one and I just got in and drove it (hes same height as me) without having to adjust owt at all. Well good cars.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye I have the problem a bit in the clio.. only slightly but if the gearstick was 1-2cm further back it would be perfect.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Paul go race VTEC Abuse @ York and see if your CTR is considerably quicker, if it is ill go order a 04 CTR tomoz with you being considerably quicker are you hoping to get into the 13s standard?
I was just saying what I thought!!! I have driven several CTRs before the 04 model came out and always thought it felt particularly sluggish in 1st and 2nd gear it never really wanted to go fast until you hit 3rd. Now IMO the 04 model feels quite a bit more responsive in 1st and 2nd gear it revs more freely and it certainly feels like its quicker the other models I have driven. I can spin the front wheel in 2nd gear easily which I could never do in my clio.

But to perfectly honest I have been driving a 1.4 saxo fo the last month so anything would feel quicker now wouldnt it. And OK perhaps I shouldnt have used the word "considerably"!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I love the CTR in everyway.. bar 1.. its great engine, great handling, but it looks like a bus.

I like my cars to look nice aswell as be fast, so I bought the 172.

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 26 January 2004

I was just saying what I thought!!! I have driven several CTRs before the 04 model came out and always thought it felt particularly sluggish in 1st and 2nd gear it never really wanted to go fast until you hit 3rd. Now IMO the 04 model feels quite a bit more responsive in 1st and 2nd gear it revs more freely and it certainly feels like its quicker the other models I have driven. I can spin the front wheel in 2nd gear easily which I could never do in my clio.

But to perfectly honest I have been driving a 1.4 saxo fo the last month so anything would feel quicker now wouldnt it. And OK perhaps I shouldnt have used the word "considerably"!!

Think about swapping the standard tyres ASAP, they really are sh*te!

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Hey Paul, I can spin the wheels in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the dry and 4th in he wet!

Do you want to have a MK1 vs MK2 arguement.....could be fun:D;)!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_CTR on 26 January 2004

Hey Paul, I can spin the wheels in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the dry and 4th in he wet!

Do you want to have a MK1 vs MK2 arguement.....could be fun:D;)!

Yeah OK, mines quicker....your turn ;):devilish: Havent tried 3rd and 4th yet Im trying (though it is very very hard) to run it in. Though got to say im failing miserably!!

How do you find economy??? Even with a extremely light foot im struggling to get more than 200 miles from a tank. Mind the tanks a bit small only took 37 litres when the light came on, making for about just under 25mpg! But I did hit the zone a couple of time :devilish:

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Nah no regrets. Loved the Clio to bits and I miss the toys but the engine and gearbox on the CTR make up for it. Its nice to have that extra space too, there is loads of room in the back. Its quick too, no little duels yet but waiting patiently!!

Slightly worried about fuel consumption but Im paying less for the CTR than I was for the Clio so that should just about make up for it. Just confused every road test I ever read about the 2 had them level pegging on MPGs just paranoid that there is something worng with mine!!

320d M Sport

maybe cos its new?

weird how youre paying less for the CTR?

Hand on heart, does it feel quicker then?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 26 January 2004

maybe cos its new?

weird how youre paying less for the CTR?

Hand on heart, does it feel quicker then?

Not wanting to start an argument but yeah it feels quicker than my 172, a little bit scary at times! Only time will tell I suppose whether it is or not!

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Paul, if you dont VTEC it mpg can be quite good, but even if you have a slight indescretion you can basically see the gauge moving!!

The CTR is marginally quicker than the 172, but I havent found it is fun as my old 172(wish I hadnt sold it), there just hasnt been the spark there I had with the 172. Good car, dont get me wrong, just not as good as I had expected, hence Im returning to the Clio!

on the subject of fuel consumption, I had a run out to scarborough on saturday, I really opened her up, drove a bit silly hitting 130 on a really long wide straight ( a corsa tried to keep up!!!!), I returned 43mpg when I got there over a 90 mile trip - the 172 really doesnt punish a heavy foot BRILLIANT!!!!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_CTR on 26 January 2004

Paul, if you dont VTEC it mpg can be quite good, but even if you have a slight indescretion you can basically see the gauge moving!!

The CTR is marginally quicker than the 172, but I havent found it is fun as my old 172(wish I hadnt sold it), there just hasnt been the spark there I had with the 172. Good car, dont get me wrong, just not as good as I had expected, hence Im returning to the Clio!

Go and try the 04 model I think it drives completely differently!