ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Ph1 172

Do they suffer from surge problems?

I fancy a better inlet at some point. ITBs have the downfall of needed an aftermarket ECU and the RS2 is expensive.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Well now that it's all together and working I thought I'd put up the full spec list. All the parts are brand new apart from the exhaust and manifold really so its like a new car to drive, absolutely fantastic! I've probably missed bits off too!

Engine:-
Piper cams
ALD ported head
Supertech valves
ALD matched inlets
Billet flywheel
Borg and Beck clutch
182 exhaust manifold
KTec sports cat
KTec recessed exhaust with centre box
Relocated ITG filter
PMS AC delete kit
Vibratechnics engine mount
Remapped by RS Tuning (see page 5)

Transmission:-
Rebuilt Ph1 gearbox with shorter final drive (3.89 to 4.07)
Quaife ATB
Renault shafts and CVs
Vibratechnics gearbox mount
Powerflex dogbone

Steering:-
FAI Tie rods and rod ends
Renault rack bush kit

Suspension:-
Cup shocks and top mounts
Cooksport springs
Cup wishbones and ball joints
Eibach camber bolts
Spacers front (16mm) and rear (5mm)
182 front ARB
Powerflex ARB bushes
Whiteline rear ARB kit
Geometry setup (see page 6)

Brakes:-
DS2500 pads
Brembo HC discs front
Mintex discs, pads and bearings rear
Stainless braided brake hoses
ATE Blue Fluid

Interior is standard bar the following:-
Snappy retrimmed wheel
Bluetooth headunit
Cup rear seats
Lightweight battery under passenger seat
I have a set of fibreglass bucket seats and clip in harnesses I was going to use for track only. These save 20kg over the standard seats as they have no runners or side mounts, just bolt straight in on the frames.

Exterior is standard apart from:-
Stainless tow eye
Pressed plates
Standard OZ 15" alloys painted satin black

Tyres are 205/50-R15 Federal 595 RS-R

Can't wait to see how it goes at Anglesey in 10 days time.

I'm getting an alloy bonnet to fit, remove the tar/sound deadening, sort out some brake cooling ducts then that's it for a while.

Future plans are polycarb windows and hopefully a better inlet setup. I may flare the rear arches slightly and get some hub spacers for a wider rear track and some AST top mounts for more camber.

I can't think of anything else I want to do with it being a road car.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

thats a pretty awesome spec. fair play to you, you have turned this into a cracking ph1. should be awesome on track.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Cheers guys, spent a bit more than I had originally intended tbh. But it feels worth it (sort of!) when it gets driven properly :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Here's the cup rear bench. A little easier to remove and fit for track days and better for the kids seats. (thanks Cal!)
IMAG0996.jpg

And I trial fitted one of the bucket seats. Nice and light, cheap, Very comfy, great seating position...happy Tom!
IMAG0995.jpg

IMAG0994.jpg

IMAG0993.jpg

And the new tow eye, taken the fogs out to sort the brake ducts.
IMAG0997.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Traffic was horrendous and I was late home in a mood so I sorted the exhaust out.

Didn't fancy cutting the bumper and the 3.5" tailpipe looked too big....
IMAG0711.jpg

so I lopped it off...
IMAG1003.jpg

And then put a 2.5" rolled out on instead. Not perfect but its better now so I can live with it.
IMAG1000.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

I love your car mate and the parts list is epic.
Im going to be pulling mine apart once the weather turns crap and I no longer am driving the car. (Wont be long I think)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks chaps :)

I've got both seats bolted in properly now and the harness bolts all sorted. So it's ready for Friday, weather forecast is decent too so fingers crossed for a dry day.

IMG_36187022461309.jpg

IMG_36713065453475.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Track day went well. Only issue was not having enough camber so some AST top mounts are on the list of things to do. Wouldn't mind a bit more power so looking at ITBs again for early next year and some weight loss, so Foamalux door cards, polycar windows and an alloy bonnet will be the additions in the near future.

Quaife diff was put to good use and works nicely, much better than without one. So although it wasn't the cheapest modification it was one of the most noticeable.

I was impressed with the Clio overall, managed to pass both DC2s and S2000s with ease as well as the GT86, a few of the Westfields. I didn't stand a chance with the 911s, GTRs, M3s, Radicals and race cars though!

Nige off here was there in his Mk2 Golf that was very quick for what it is, he took some photos of me on track too so thanks for that :)

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

1148754_10151628045821943_172676625_n-Copy.jpg

1186205_10151628043846943_377391134_n.jpg

CAD_6085.jpg

I was hunting this yellow thing down and he would not move. No track etiquette at all. Really pissed me off. Reported him in the end. I was glad to see the photo of the wheel off the floor though :)

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

GTR tried a shortcut

IMG_7505.jpg

And my budding photographer was taking photos too :)

IMG_7465.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Manual windows will be easily sourced from any proper pov spec mk2 ph1, will be about a million in breakers all over the country.

Lovely car btw.

Cup In bits

Lovely car Tom, similar spec to mine (minus the engine/box mods) and they're great fun like this if not a little soft.

Good plans although I would recommend getting a cup subframe for more camber and then AST's for caster.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Lovely car Tom, similar spec to mine (minus the engine/box mods) and they're great fun like this if not a little soft.

Good plans although I would recommend getting a cup subframe for more camber and then AST's for caster.

Believe it not I weighed in a powdercoated cup subframe...whoops! Swapping to a ph2 subframe would lose caster though wouldn't it?

I can get 3.2 from the camber bolts and ASTs. Should be better than the 1.8 I've got.

Cup In bits

Believe it not I weighed in a powdercoated cup subframe...whoops! Swapping to a ph2 subframe would lose caster though wouldn't it?

I can get 3.2 from the camber bolts and ASTs. Should be better than the 1.8 I've got.

Nightmare... My cup has the same caster as your car and most others I have seen have had up to 3 deg caster.

4 deg caster and 3 deg camber sounds better ;) my car uses every bit of its 4 deg camber when it folds over in the corners.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I'll just max it all out!! See how it goes.

Is it worth getting more camber on the rear? Tyre wear on the back seemed spot on.

Cup In bits

My car scrubs the n/s/r outer edges on the RS-R's at Knockhill ( almost as much as the front but its not your typical circuit and I'm partial to sliding the car) so I would say yes.

Cup In bits

Hard to say as I haven't tried it myself with cup shocks and springs, all the race car set ups I have seen range from 2.5 to 3.5.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Ok I'll start with 2.5 and see how that goes.

Collected my alloy bonnet today, rather light! Very pleased. It came from a car on here, X277 HAV

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Ok I'll start with 2.5 and see how that goes.

Collected my alloy bonnet today, rather light! Very pleased. It came from a car on here, X277 HAV

Great stuff mate, I was shocked just how much lighter the alloy one is. :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

It's the most likely. With me keeping it N/A the best solution for the most torque is ITBs.

I would want it to run like standard though. No cold start issues, nice idle, start first turn of the key.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Well I am not happy. The wheels turned up quickly and they are all fine but they are heavy.

How they can sell something that weighs 7.5kg when its advertised as 6.2kg I don't know. Where do they find an extra 20% of weight from.

Wish I'd have plumped for the Ultraleggera now.

I'd send them back but haven't got the time to be faffing around trying to sort it.

Here's one anyway.

IMAG1042_1.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Yes they do. Really annoyed they're so heavy though. So annoyed I think I'll phone up tomorrow and sort out sending them back.