ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Ph1 172

No I haven't got a standard RR printout but it didn't feel that fast. It won't have been more than 160ish and about 140lbft, typical ph1 figures.

This is what I need to improve on with the ITBs
IMAG0969.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

standard and after

Chi, Tom bought the car standard.

He then had the cylinder head ported by Andrew @ ALD in Leeds who also fitted Supertec valves.

Tom's got the Piper cams and a 182 exhaust manifold with a free flow cat

Thats the RR graph that you can see. :D

(Sorry Tom to go on) :eek:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Chi, Tom bought the car standard.

He then had the cylinder head ported by Andrew @ ALD in Leeds who also fitted Supertec valves.

Tom's got the Piper cams and a 182 exhaust manifold with a free flow cat

Thats the RR graph that you can see. :D

(Sorry Tom to go on) :eek:

No problem Scott! Saves me typing lol. The spec list is on page 7 iirc although it's changed a little now.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

Brilliant tempted to throw cams in the trophy but would just be a waste sitting in the drive

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Tried starting but battery needs a bit of juice :cry:

So I got it as far as I could whilst I wait for a solderless nipple, charger, custom DCOE flanges and hoses.

IMAG1363.jpg

I want to tidy up the bulkhead but Nimbus is too expensive, anything else out there?

A shed

Interested to see the flanges you get made to improve the length! Im after making some up myself, but for now have just fitted the bodies with the stock 60mm trumpets

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Well it's alive and I've set the idle, don't know what to though as the rev counter isn't working :( need to work that out.

Everything else is fine, oil cooler, radiator etc. Seems a little lean but it is only a base map and it's a little more modified than the map is for. Besides, I haven't fitted the 4 bar fuel reg yet.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Rev counter sorted. Went through a ph1 ECU pinout to find all the positions that should be empty after moving the wires, turns out I'd moved pin 70 to 50 instead of 55. D'oh!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Fitted the 4 bar fuel regulator, it much smoother now it's not running lean. Just waiting on the flanges to extend the intake and it can go for mapping.

Quick video of it running now.
th_VIDEO0015.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Should see great figures with the mods that you have done.

Looking forward to the RR. :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Mapping booked for March 17th :)

It'll give me a chance to get a some other bits done before then so mapping will be the last bit before the summer.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

My friend had a present for me today!

Different thickness rear spacers to try out to see what's best with no added camber as I've got 1.8 degrees each side with the standard beam.
IMAG1400.jpg

Aaaand

Some flange!
IMAG1395.jpg

IMAG1398.jpg

IMAG1397.jpg

So should get everything in place this weekend :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Trimmed all the hoses to suit and got it all fitted up this evening. Total inlet length from the valve head to end of the trumpet is 380mm :) I'm running equivalent to 130mm trumpets now with the 180mm DTH bodies.

Had to trim the inside of the bonnet slightly. I've got the all important clearance between the bonnet-filter and the filter-trumpets sorted, plus the trumpets angle directly toward the gap between the bonnet and grille.

The radius is a nice smooth transition into the bodies so shouldn't impact performance at all and the angle is only 35 degrees.

IMAG1403.jpg

IMAG1404.jpg

IMAG1405.jpg

IMAG1406.jpg

IMAG1407.jpg

IMAG1408.jpg

IMAG1409.jpg

IMAG1410.jpg

IMAG1412.jpg

IMAG1413.jpg

Don't know how accurate this is related to runner length. Hopefully I'll get the 3rd and 4th harmonics to help with torque when the engine comes on cam and hold to roughly where it should make peak power. I'll find out in just over 5 weeks!

Input length is 15 inches
For 2nd harmonic, RPM range is from 7832 to 9504 with a pulse strength of 10 percent
For 3rd harmonic, RPM range is from 5885 to 6725 with a pulse strength of 7 percent
For 4th harmonic, RPM range is from 4588 to 5131 with a pulse strength of 4 percent

Cup In bits

Clever idea Tom but I can't help but think the step from the flanges is going to have an affect on performance. Could you not get an ally bend at whatever the diameter and follow the same principal but the pipe being welded to the flanges.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Clever idea Tom but I can't help but think the step from the flanges is going to have an affect on performance. Could you not get an ally bend at whatever the diameter and follow the same principal but the pipe being welded to the flanges.

There isn't step. It's a 48mm OD and 45mm ID flange with a 45mm ID hose, its clamped on the ends of the flange so it pushes the hose flush with the flange :)

That was a thought of mine for a later date now I'm happy with how it site, but only to tidy it up and not to smooth out the flow because there won't be an issue (must be how it looks in the photos).

Cup In bits

No I mean the flanges sit inside the hose so there is a 3mm step in the bore according to your measurements given where the flange stops, the hose is and then the other flange starts. There will be a turbulence at this point as its acting like a reverse Venturi. I build mixers at work which rely on this principle for turbulence which is good for them but not what your looking for here ;)

You can suck it and see how you get on. An intercooler piping bend with the same ID would be better no?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

No I mean the flanges sit inside the hose so there is a 3mm step in the bore according to your measurements given where the flange stops, the hose is and then the other flange starts. There will be a turbulence at this point as its acting like a reverse Venturi. I build mixers at work which rely on this principle for turbulence which is good for them but not what your looking for here ;)

You can suck it and see how you get on. An intercooler piping bend with the same ID would be better no?

Both the flanges and hose are 45mm ID, with the clamps on there's no step.

Cup In bits

But you slide the flange inside the hose so there must be lol!! Anyway good cheap idea Tom, you could make huge trumpets if you had the room, I look forward to the results.

Cup In bits

You should be alright with the extra length as you say but he does mention

"This is not an air flow issue; you can see how that looks on the Fiesta test elsewhere in these pages. I believe it is the curve taking the edge off the intake pulse and so marginally reducing the effect"

Emerald have some cracking bloggs, interesting about the speak of air boxes gaining power on some cars, I know Burpspeed ran a reviere (so) airbox to start with that strangled their car. That has probably been the mapping though from what I have read recently.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Mine is only 35 degrees against 90 in that article, and it didn't have much effect.

I ran one on my old car, it went from 190 down to 167! That was a pipercross one with 100mm entry