ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Re: Ph1 172

They do look spot on, why don't you get the F1s done in sliver??

How light are the F1s anyway?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Weighed the F1s when I got them off, 7.7kg.
Turns out the Pro Race were ET25 not 35 so that's why they were a bit heavier. Got that sorted and got them on now :) They are 1kg lighter each than the OZ but stronger too and a better offset so the spacers have gone too.
IMAG1049.jpg

Went to see a friend who is just opening his new Powerflow place in Deeside and I was his first customer (testing the ramps etc.). I got a smaller centre silencer fitted to keep the same tone but up the volume a tad, just right now. Also means I don't have to detach the exhaust to swap the seats over! Cost all of £60 :)
IMAG1080.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Cheers dude :)

Got my AST strut tops through from Cooksport. I'll get them fitted with the new bearings and strut bump stops. Then turn up the camber :)

IMAG1091.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Done a couple of things but nothing major.

Swapped out the cup shocks and top mounts for some adjustable AST mounts and adjustable Konis
IMAG1163.jpg

Fitted some 8mm blue Magnecore leads.
IMAG1165.jpg

Got a pair of fog blanks for when I'm not needing brake cooling.
IMAG1162.jpg

Wondering how this is removed...
IMAG1160.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Easy, put your hand round the back of it.
Between the cam cover and the strut top.

Theres a bolt that goes through into it.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Ordered some studs so I can get rid of the wheel bolts, 10mm hubcentric spacers for the front with a 60.1-73.1 centre bore so I won't need spigot rings, 10mm rear spacers with an extra -1 degree camber.

I'll get all that on then take it to get the front geo set up.

Roll on Oulton Park in 2 weeks!

Feeling the need for a bit more power though.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Got my studs and spacers on before Oulton and then had the alignment done.

IMAG1197.jpg

IMAG1200.jpg

IMAG1208_1.jpg

Had a good day at Oulton. Track was dry but there were a good few red flags, I counted 11 but could have been more than that.

Here's a few pics from the day.

IMG_9411162989557.jpg

IMG_9419790457891.jpg

IMG_9393918948661.jpg

IMG_9399992869003.jpg

IMG_28790217875527.jpg

IMG_28684852210960.jpg

So after the day my plan of things to do are:-

Fit front cup subframe for wider front track.
Reduce front camber to 3.3 and try to get more caster.
Reduce rear camber to 2.
Roll rear arches and get 10mm spacers on the rear.
Stud and nut conversion for the rear.
Take some more weight out. Weighed it at Oulton, it's currently 980kg with a full tank of fuel.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Looks great on track Tom, was it better this time than the last time you went out?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Not done much with it recently.

I'll be picking up a 1.2 top dash and a Sabelt wheel next week.

Otherwise I just started preparing for something....
IMAG1291.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

It's too much camber. Tyres don't heat up properly. Also it makes the braking less stable.

That's the decision I need to make! I'm leaning towards ITBs though, may as well go all the way!

Cracking project mate, Very similar spec to how eventually want mine to be.

Where did you get those bucket seats from?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Cracking project mate, Very similar spec to how eventually want mine to be.

Where did you get those bucket seats from?

Cheers :)

This is the cheapest place. The price includes runners and steel side mounts too, delivery is free as well IIRC. http://www.kitpartsdirect.com/products.php/store/85/c1/418/c2/4015/w/RMD_Max_Protection_Single

The seats are the same as the Sparco Pro 2000, its just they come unbranded and no FIA approval but I wasn't bothered about that. So £280 delivered for a pair of brand new 7kg seats with all the side mounts etc. was a no brainer.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

As a bit of a giveaway of what's to come I've ordered:-

VW radiator
Slimline fan
Aerocatches
4 bar fuel pressure regulator

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Oh let me guess.....lol

Ill be watching this, Jenveys or the Ktec TB's?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I'm getting the Ktec ones. It comes with everything as I cba sourcing various bits.

Then I'll get some angled spacers for the trumpets before mapping.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Looking forward to seeing the results of these when fitted to your engine.

Me too Andrew! Hoping to break the magic 200, get a bit more torque and a bit more RPM to hold it in gears longer.

Meanwhile I cleaned up the wheel I got from JohnnyE and got a Sabelt centre button too.

IMAG1301_1.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

My radiator arrived. Very happy with it for £21.50 posted and it's bigger than the usual Polo radiator used which is too small imo.

IMAG1302.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Indeed, looking forward to a bit more poke and the noise on full chat :)

I've done the aerocatches and radiator ready. In the process of doing the oil cooler whilst I've got easy access.

The first step will be to swap the 20 ecu pins around. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have some photos of it all, it might even be running!

Audi A5

Are you going for the K-tec ECU aswell well or going for different management?

Also so what you doing about your loom? Just splicing the Aftermarket ECU into the standard loom?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I've got the complete kit including the Gen90 with the ITBs. I bought the Gen90 software to go with it aswell.

I need to move 20 pins on the ECU plug then it retains all the standard loom.

With other things on this weekend I didn't get as far as I had hoped. But this is where I'm up to.

Oil cooler kit fitted, hoses are off a Mk1 so a bit short but managed to find somewhere to route them around the radiator, I'll tie them out of the way so they don't rub.
IMAG1351.jpg

IMAG1352.jpg

I also fitted some aerocatches, I prefered the look of them at an angle, also it allows you to use the standard bonnet stops to set the height perfectly. No dremel so I used what I had available. Everthing was treated for corrosion protection afterwards.
IMAG1307.jpg

IMAG1308.jpg

IMAG1353.jpg

IMAG1357.jpg

And the ITBs bolted up with the brake line, fuel rail and linkage set. Need to do the throttle cable next and the ECU wiring. The FPR has no vac feed, I don't know if this is an issue or not, it should give a flat rate of 4 bar with the uprated FPR fitted. Does it need a vac feed to work properly?!
IMAG1360.jpg

Also I'm looking into how to angle the trumpets to where I want for a better filter location and give me a longer inlet length so I've started drawing up a cad model which involves 2 x DCOE patter flanges and some angled pipes. I need to determine the best angle but it's probably around 30 degrees at a guess.