ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Re: Ph1 172

I also was building a MK2 fiesta zetec, sold alot of the bits off just got the shell and few other bits to go.

I love my PH1, FLOL at the Scorpio but fair play to them i still bet they had fun.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Will do!

Bought an ITG filter and some hose. I'll trim it to suit to get it as long as possible behind the headlight.
IMAG0933.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

It runs again! All it needs is the subframe bolting back on and the radiator, hoses and front end reattaching. Very happy it runs ok though!Moved the ECU and tidied up the wiring for the new battery
IMAG0953.jpg
New battery
IMAG0955.jpg
IMAG0954.jpg
182 manifold and ktec sports cat, fits nicely.
IMAG0957.jpg
IMAG0956.jpg
More photos tomorrow hopefully!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Got it back today! It's a fair bit louder than it used to be. It's also quicker (been taking it easy until the remap though) and the gearing with the shorter final drive is much, much better.

The lightened flywheel makes pulling away in 1st a little more difficult but nothing major. However it really affect the engine braking which is just what I was after.

At the moment the tracking has been set to parallel until I get the camber set and I'll have the toe set with it, it could even be the extra caster increasing the effect of the Quaife but it seems to really pull the car around after a certain amount of steering lock.

It not noticeable to a point and then suddenly the car pulls in really tight, it feels a bit like the rear wheel lifting. I had a Quaife in my previous car and it pulled in on the bends but nothing like this, it feels a bit too much really but I'm sure I'll get used to it, I suppose I could cancel it out a bit by putting on a bit of toe in.

Here's the new filter setup. I'm going to remove the fuel rail guard rather than paint it. Need to paint the belt cover sometime.
IMAG0964.jpg

Anyway! Most importantly its ready for RS Tuning on Friday.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Cracking work as always Tom, looking forward to the results on Friday...:)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Cheers guys. Can't wait for Friday...2 more sleeps!

Going to check all the tyre pressures in case that's affecting the way it drives, and I'll have a go pushing it around some twisties if it dries up. The only things that have changed are all the steering components and the Quaife.

PH1 Clio 172

Awesome project Tom, loving the Fiesta too. I sold my MK2 XR2 to buy my Ph1 and am glad to say I don't regret it....just miss it!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I miss mine too :( the Clio is a much better road car though and I'm sure it can be more than capable on track :)

Speaking of which I'll have my track buckets fitted next week ready for the next track day. They arrived today and only weigh 8kg each which I'm happy with. Just ordered a set of OMP subframes to bolt them to.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van

Tom that unit may be faulty.. Just be carefull if you going to be giving it some a friend of mine got caught out by his diff on a road rally. Pull the car sharply to the left and ended his night it a ditch..

I'll get some more info off him and send you a text later.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Maybe it all just needed bedding in a bit. Gave it progressively hard driving and if feels amazing now :D

The induction noise from the ITG filter is lovely :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

I'm looking forward to this, my car will be the same spec but with 421s

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

It's all setup now and running nicely

IMAG0969.jpg

Some bad news though. Gearbox diff seal on the drivers side is leaking so had to take it easy coming home :(

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Was it far out from when you got there?
Does the car feel better now Paul has worked his magic?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

No, fueling with the fastchip map was fine. Paul has increased the ignition advance and sorted the fueling to suit.

I'll let you know when the gearbox is fixed :(

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

not massive figures for a lot of ££££ is it? as long as it drives well though.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

No, but the figures are more realistic than most ;)

And my only real expense on modifications are the ported inlets, cams, 4-2-1 and sports cat, so £600 for them isn't too bad. The head is so well priced and has been reconditioned with supertech valves and new seals and the engine is nice and fresh I wouldn't really call that expensive.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

I guess a standard PH1 would only be around the 165 mark, I bet its so much better to drive though?

And if you fit body's then the ground work is already done.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah I'd have expected about 160-165 as standard. So about 20bhp for the mods I've done is bang on the money IMO.

Say 5bhp for the inlets and filter, 10bhp for the cams, 5bhp for the exhaust and sports cat. The headwork won't have increased the power output but it will have helped the torque figure.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

And also made the engine safe fitting the supertech valves.:)

What was the torque figure tom, as you expected/hoped for?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Yes it has :) well, safer than the standard valves anyway!

173lb/ft, can't grumble at that. I was hoping for 160lb/ft and it does over 160 from 4500-6000 so very happy with that. I can't tell you how it goes though :( I haven't taken it over 3500!

The gearbox is leaking oil from the driver's diff seal, confirmed that this morning. So I got onto the gearbox company who built it. They were very apologetic and are sending out a new seal and paying the garage bill to fix it. Can't complain at that can I!? Yes it should have been right first time but these things happen and there was no quibbling about getting it sorted.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Great figure mate, the car was in a million bits after all.

These things happen, its not the end of the world, good that the g/box company is going to sort it. :)

The head was a copy of another well know tuner, I have done more work on a spare head I have and have seen more gains at the top end but it lost out at the lower of the rev range. Toms head was speced for the standard inlet but if ITBs was fitted I would see much more but my thoughts are to go. Down the supercharged road for a much more drivable car.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Making a start on getting the track seats in. Bought a pair of OMP subframes and I marked them off after a long day, needless to say I drilled the holes in the wrong place... should have double checked!

Anyway the seats are fitted to them now so hopefully by the end of this week I'll have them fitted and the harnesses in for the trackday on the 23rd.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Not had a chance to fit the seats, and nowhere to do it either at the moment :|

I did get a chance to swing by Buckley tyres and have the camber bolts set up though.

IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0986.jpg

The most I could get on the drivers side was 1 degree 50 minutes (1.83 deg. decimal) so the passenger side was set to that too with a bit of toe in.

I was also expecting more than 2.5 degrees of caster with the standard ph1 subframe and the cup wishbones (yes they are definitely cup wishbones). Although the guy did say the wheels were very close to the front arch liner/bumper and could get a proper measurement, so maybe it is more than 2.5.

Anyway it drives much better now its all setup. Long term I'll get some adjustable top mounts for more adjustment.

Also I had the diff seal replaced and the gearbox is just fine now so I got my 1st opportunity to really open it up and its much quicker than it used to be, really impressed with how it pulls.
For now its happy driving :race:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Great news mate, I was going to message you today and ask how its getting on. :)

That's great news

sounds like all the modifications are doing there job

I'll be looking into developing theses heads more now