ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Inferno Project

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
I really like it. Even with the std Renault filter it feels stronger and pulls harder. This might be a placebo effect but I really don't think it is! You'll have to let me know your feelings.
I'm glad I got it. Sounds nicer too!!

Sounds like its worth the hassle fitting then mate. The KTEC filter I've got looks decent to so should hopefully be an improvement over the 182 box. Can't wait to get mine fitted now :)

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
You got it fitted now bud? What's your thoughts?

I havent yet mate, been away for the weekend so not had chance. Hoping to get it fitted by next weekend though, gave it a bit of a clean up on friday as it was a bit shabby so just need to look into swapping the boxes round now. How are you finding yours now ? Is it still held in place without the bracket/strap ?

Jay

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
I decided today would be the day I attempted to fit my ph1 172 airbox and lets just say it hasnt ended well :(

New filter arrived from KTEC and I had cleaned up the 172 box as it was a bit shabby.

SDC11189.jpg

SDC11190.jpg

First issue was i didnt have all the clips to hold the lid to the box, out came the drill and managed to fix it together with some cable tie's. Did the job and looks okay imo.

SDC11191.jpg

Removed the 182 box and air feeds and tried to fit the 172 box in place. No matter what angle it was at it just doesnt seem to fit. I think its just that the Samco bend it runs off is too long so will have to look to cut some off of it in order to squeeze it in. Also noticed that i dont think i will have enough space to fit the cold air feeds behind the light so may have to look to remove the accustic valve as well. Currently the car looks like this until tomorrow now as im fed up trying for today.

SDC11192.jpg

Any tips / ideas on how to get it to fit better would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Does look tight. My airbox is held together with cable ties also, its fine.

Even on the standard ph1 bend its tight to get it in. Recon you'll have to cut abit of the samco down.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Does look tight. My airbox is held together with cable ties also, its fine.

Even on the standard ph1 bend its tight to get it in. Recon you'll have to cut abit of the samco down.

Cheers mate :approve: Cable ties have kept the lid on nice and tight.

Yeah it is quite a squeeze, seems it will be wedged along side the battery. Think will need to cut around 1inch from the Samco bend, need to make sure i can get the air feeds in okay too though before I start cutting things :S

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
There is room with the accoustic valve in bud, as long as the original feed is removed.

The feeds just seemed reluctant to bend into place, just couldnt seem to get it to go down far enough. There is space beside the accustic valve like you say, think will just need a bit of force to get it down there. May try jacking it up and going from underneath and see if its easier to pull them down. If i can get an air feed in properly will try cutting the bend tomorrow. Can see what you meant now when you said it was tight against the battery lol couldnt believe how tight everything was in there.

The feeds are ridiculously tight on mine as i re-fitted them. The box will probably sit again the battery bit and wear down the plastic on the airbox, at least mine has.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Get rid of that hulking great battery, fit a smaller one and remove the ECU bracket.

That should clear enough room.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
The feeds are ridiculously tight on mine as i re-fitted them. The box will probably sit again the battery bit and wear down the plastic on the airbox, at least mine has.

Gonna have a look at fitting the air feeds this morning. Once there in will then look at cutting the samco bend. Is very tight but ideally want both the air feeds in if i can. Yeah looks like that had happended to the box previously tbh mate as it was rather scuffed up, as long as it doesnt cause any issues then should be okay hopefully.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Get rid of that hulking great battery, fit a smaller one and remove the ECU bracket.

That should clear enough room.

Ahh rite, which part is the ecu bracket ?? I take it that its not needed. Had thought about a smaller battery when looking at relocating it but seemed a little out of my capabilities to relocate the battery. Would a light weight battery still fit in the same place okay ?

Jay

This is a pic of the phase 1 box fitted to my 182,

In this pic the box is sat to the left more than i have it now, ive pulled it over more closer to the battery.
I found putting the hose on to the throttle body first, then lowing the box in bottom first close to the radiator, then roll it back towards to throttle body, and connect them up, its a tight fit I found but it will go.

61ff9d81.gif

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
*** UPDATE ***

My perseverance has finally paid off and with only a few grazed knuckles the 172 airbox is fitted and seems to be held solid in place :approve:

SDC11193.jpg

Havent done the best of jobs cutting the Samco bend but its in and can be tidied up at a later date if need be. Managed to get both air feeds fitted, one heading behind the headlight and the other down towards the accustic valve. The box is held pretty tight between the battery and the old airbox mount but may need to be secured better in the future.

SDC11200.jpg

SDC11196.jpg

Havent noticed any change in sound although you cant hear anything over the exhaust anyway. It does feel ever so slighty more responsive although i could be imagining it. Just need to tidy up the bay now as it does look a bit worse for wear but thats a job for spring.

SDC11194.jpg

Not too sure on future plans for it now, think i may go for coilovers at some point and see if it lowers the arch gap better then the sportlines. Really fancy some Recaro's too so may keep my eye out for some next year.

Cheers

Jay

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Take the cold air feeds off, it will give it a bit more roar.

It won't suffer from heat soak being all the way over there either.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
This is a pic of the phase 1 box fitted to my 182,

In this pic the box is sat to the left more than i have it now, ive pulled it over more closer to the battery.
I found putting the hose on to the throttle body first, then lowing the box in bottom first close to the radiator, then roll it back towards to throttle body, and connect them up, its a tight fit I found but it will go.

61ff9d81.gif

Cheers for that mate,

Mine looks like it sits the same as yours did in the picture, It did turn out to be a lot more work to fit than i was expecting but im happy now its all sorted. How you finding yours ? Love the Inferno Inlets btw mate, will need to look to get mine as presentable.

Jay

Cheers for that mate,

Mine looks like it sits the same as yours did in the picture, It did turn out to be a lot more work to fit than i was expecting but im happy now its all sorted. How you finding yours ? Love the Inferno Inlets btw mate, will need to look to get mine as presentable.

Jay

I doubled up two tie wraps and put them around the bottom of the box and pulled it over slighty away from the water hoses.
Im happy with mine, the filter doesnt really get dirty either, ive checked it out once while its been in there and still looks as good as new.
Yeh im happy with the inlets, ive got some spare inlets i keep thinking about polishing up but not sure as I plan on going down the throttle body route next year anyway so would be alittle pointless really.

how you finding the solid top mounts? Im thinking about getting some pure motorsport ones along with there air con delete kit.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
I doubled up two tie wraps and put them around the bottom of the box and pulled it over slighty away from the water hoses.
Im happy with mine, the filter doesnt really get dirty either, ive checked it out once while its been in there and still looks as good as new.
Yeh im happy with the inlets, ive got some spare inlets i keep thinking about polishing up but not sure as I plan on going down the throttle body route next year anyway so would be alittle pointless really.

how you finding the solid top mounts? Im thinking about getting some pure motorsport ones along with there air con delete kit.

Yeah i may do similiar, even if its just to keep it secure. I would keep the inlets as they are mate i think it looks spot on. Wish i could afford ITB's but unless i win the lottery it wont be happening lol. Did you get any further fitting the new cams ??

I dont have any complaints with the top mounts mate, did seem to make things feel alot more solid. Not sure how much better they are meant to be over the standard Renault ones.

Yeah i may do similiar, even if its just to keep it secure. I would keep the inlets as they are mate i think it looks spot on. Wish i could afford ITB's but unless i win the lottery it wont be happening lol. Did you get any further fitting the new cams ??

I dont have any complaints with the top mounts mate, did seem to make things feel alot more solid. Not sure how much better they are meant to be over the standard Renault ones.

Im not sure what im doing with the inlets let, ive started polishing the spare one up, but we see what I think when ive done it, ive i dont like it I might pop it on ebay or something.
Ive still got to get the cams in and mapped up yet. With xmas fast approaching money is getting alittle tight, If i can get them in before the new year I will but will see what happens.
The top mounts are on my to do list but when I do them im not sure, other things are further up the list.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Im not sure what im doing with the inlets let, ive started polishing the spare one up, but we see what I think when ive done it, ive i dont like it I might pop it on ebay or something.
Ive still got to get the cams in and mapped up yet. With xmas fast approaching money is getting alittle tight, If i can get them in before the new year I will but will see what happens.
The top mounts are on my to do list but when I do them im not sure, other things are further up the list.

Yeah well like you said if you get the ITB's it would be pointless but i reckon you would proberbly get more for it on ebay if it was polished so if you have the time then worth a go. Really looking forward to seeing how the cams work out for you, want a set myself. Had priced up a set of 428's from KTEC and think that will be my next big plan for it in the future if i can ever start saving, may take a while though. :approve:

Yeah well like you said if you get the ITB's it would be pointless but i reckon you would proberbly get more for it on ebay if it was polished so if you have the time then worth a go. Really looking forward to seeing how the cams work out for you, want a set myself. Had priced up a set of 428's from KTEC and think that will be my next big plan for it in the future if i can ever start saving, may take a while though. :approve:

Ive started polishing up, gave up at min haha,
Your looking forward to them, I am loads, alittle worried thou, just cos not many people run these cams but it will be interesting to get them in and running. Last time I was up at RS Tuning I got talking to Paul and ask him about these cams and hes not mapped a Clio with them before.
He said " It will be interesting to see what we can get out of them "
If I was you i would get the new catcams from ktec the 438, same price as the 428 and seem to be giving good results from them.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Ive started polishing up, gave up at min haha,
Your looking forward to them, I am loads, alittle worried thou, just cos not many people run these cams but it will be interesting to get them in and running. Last time I was up at RS Tuning I got talking to Paul and ask him about these cams and hes not mapped a Clio with them before.
He said " It will be interesting to see what we can get out of them "
If I was you i would get the new catcams from ktec the 438, same price as the 428 and seem to be giving good results from them.

Ahh well may work out for the better if he's never done them before as im sure he will then want to get the best out of them. Will be interesting to see if they are any better then the normal cat cams. Never thought of the other ones mate had always just planned on going for the 428's but will have a look around on here and see what people think. If they are better rated then certainly worth a go if there the same price.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Hi,

After some advice really...

My clio currently has 15" OZ F1's and Ive fitted Sportlines to try and reduce the arch gap. Hadn't really noticed before but the front is much lower than the rear and since its been pointed out i cant stop noticing that the rear wheels look a bit lost in the wheel arch. Had been planning on upgrading to coilovers but before going ahead was wondering if someone could advise if that would correct the issue with the rear and levelling the car out ?? Or any other ideas to make it look more "normal" without going back to standard ? Wasnt sure if coilovers or maybe spacers would be the solution.

Current looks like this side on.

SDC10896.jpg

Thanks for any ideas/advice

Jay

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Following on from above would i be right in thinking maybe something like spacers would be better so the arch didnt seem to hang over the wheel as much ?? had been looking at coilovers but dont seem to think they would make very much difference :S

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
mate you really need to ditch them tints, no offence pal but they look s**t,

like i said, no offence taken i hope,

but some 1 has to tell you,

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
mate you really need to ditch them tints, no offence pal but they look s**t,

like i said, no offence taken i hope,

but some 1 has to tell you,

None taken mate, im aware there rubbish :approve: They will be coming out shortly, seem to have another list of things to do lol.

Inferno 182
Hi,

After some advice really...

My clio currently has 15" OZ F1's and Ive fitted Sportlines to try and reduce the arch gap. Hadn't really noticed before but the front is much lower than the rear and since its been pointed out i cant stop noticing that the rear wheels look a bit lost in the wheel arch. Had been planning on upgrading to coilovers but before going ahead was wondering if someone could advise if that would correct the issue with the rear and levelling the car out ?? Or any other ideas to make it look more "normal" without going back to standard ? Wasnt sure if coilovers or maybe spacers would be the solution.

Current looks like this side on.

SDC10896.jpg

Thanks for any ideas/advice

Jay

Neither coilovers or spacers are your solution. Coilovers could reduce your arch gap but that is an expensive way to work around a simpler problem.
What tyre size have you got?
I have gone down to 15"s but don't have the same arch gap. The reason? I bought tyres that would give me the same rolling diameter as standard. For a smaller alloy, you need a thicker aspect ratio (sidewall height) to maintain the same diameter and all things that go with it, e,g. arch gap, speed/gearing relationship.
You need new tyres fella, yours look like they have too small a sidewall.
Check here -
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Ahh rite cheers, never really thought about the tyres. I just replaced the old ones with the same sized new ones when I bought them. Mine are 195/45/15, what size have you gone for ??

Im in need of two new rear tyres shortly so will give it a shot.

Thanks

Jay

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Can anyone tell me what the best size tyres would be as per above please :approve:

Thanks

Jay

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Hi, just after some advice really . . .

Regarding previous posts i havent been happy with how the car looks on 15's with only Sportlines. I am going to change tyres from 195/45/15 to 195/50/15 to see if it reduces the gap slightly and i have been looking at spacers so that the wheel doesnt look so far inside the wheel arch. I measured the gap from the top of the tyre out to the arch and the front is approx 3cm and the rear approx 4.5cm. Was hoping someone could advise of the best size spacers to go for really. I had been looking at the ones below from Kam racing,

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/renault/renault-clio-mk2/suspension/spacers/renault-clio-mk2-facelift-pcd-5x108-30mm-eibach-pro-spacer-type-2.html

In all honesty im not clued up in this kinda thing at all and im not sure they would be the correct ones and hope someone can point me in the right direction. Arch gap currently looks like this,

6272862729_1bfb78c430_z.jpg

Really appreciate any assistance, thanks

Jay.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Decided to go for some FK spacers from Venom motorsport, seem well recommended so gonna get some 15mm ones. Think i had my gap measurements wrong above as measured to the outside of the arch :S Hopefully should make the alloys / arches look better and be easy to fit :approve: Also going to try and remove the window tints shortly if all goes to plan.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
** Small Update **

Got out this morning and removed the window tints from the rear. The two side windows came off easily, the rear one left a lot of glue on the window but following the guide on here a little SRP did the job. Quite surprised as to how much lighter it seems inside the car and tbh it does look better and should have proberbly been done sooner. Was going to give it a wash after but its started to snow so may get that done tomorrow.

SDC11272.jpg

SDC11273.jpg

SDC11275.jpg

New wheel spacers arrived from Venom motorsport yesturday too. Went for some 15mm FK spacers for the rear, havent bought any for the front as of yet as the rear seemed to be more noticable but depending on how they look once fitted will proberbly get some for the front too.

SDC11280.jpg

Got a few bits to sort shortly aswell and certainly needs a good clean.

Any comments/advice appreciated.

Jay

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
** Work needed **

- Fix central locking in drivers door ready for m.o.t (Still not done this and been nearly a year :eek:)
- New set of 4 tyres
- Fit rear spacers (May buy front ones too if needed)
- Re-spray F1's
- M.O.T & Service
- Remove fog lights

** Future Plans **

- Save for new upgraded Cams
- May look into coilovers

Anything else recommended ?

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
*** Update ***

After a failed attempt to fit the rear spacers last week due to my existing wheel bolts being too long I decided to give it another go this weekend. After some much needed advice from a few members I decided to go for the Pure motorsport stud conversion rather than buying smaller bolts. Excellant service from Pure motorsport and really pleased with the studs, imo look a lot better than my original bolts.

SDC11285.jpg

Managed to get the spacers and studs fitted to the rear today rather easily. Really happy with them and it has made the rear arches look a lot better.

SDC11300.jpg

SDC11287.jpg

Before

SDC11281.jpg

After

SDC11311.jpg

SDC11316.jpg

Pictures are not the best but will get some better ones soon as its in desperate need of a good clean. Need to start looking at spacers for the front now and then I can fit the rest of the studs. Thinking of going for 15mm spacers for the front also and some new tyres.

Any advice or comments appreciated.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
They stick out a bit :S love f1s though, looks good mate

Thanks mate, Do you mean the studs ? Yeah they do a bit but only by 1cm and they still sit flush with the face of the spokes on the F1's. Pleased they look better than my shabby original bolts ;) just need to get the fronts sorted now.