ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new engine (plus car build thread)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
im hoping to have it running in the next 2 weeks! just started to polish the compressor housing :) and fitted my polished alternator :)

172 cup TT
P1000412.jpg

fitted on! its like 3/4 the size of the engine lol!

Whats the funny padded room you have going on?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol its the garage! well was the garage then 3/4 of it was turned in to an office, the silver padding is on the garage door to keep the office warm and quiet... i then turned it in to a garage/mess room lol!

Lionel Richie
i had a red RX7 scream past me yesterday, it wasn't a rotary engine though! one of them there V8's (J9 KAY i think was the reg?)

on his way to coventry rather quickly!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
the main place for doing v8 conversions in the uk to rx7's is in brum, guy called chris or tinker...

i had a brief look in to costings, but your looking 9-10k for a good specced conversion.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
got bored, i was hoping to get the engine in this week but my mate who's garage its at has decided a week in monza racing and preparing historic race cars was a better idea lol!

so i polished the turbo compressor housing :)

P1000416.jpg

ordered some extra final bits i needed today which should be here in the next couple days...

ordered:
greddy throttle body elbow
cusco catch tank
intercooler
4" vband flanges and clamp
new belts for the aux parts
and a airfilter (finding something that has a 4" inlet and will flow over 500bhp is hard lol)

thats pretty much all i need, the fuel injectors and rail and fpr are at the garage got all my pipes too to make a 4" to 3" down pipe only other bit i have to order is a bit of loom for my greddy afr gauge

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
LOL every time i see it i just go... f**k!

i sat there the morning it arrived for a good 10-15 mins just saying SH1t and F@ck lol over and over!

i just want to get it in the car! badly lol!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Cant wait to hear it running with the vids your going to make :cool:

would be nice to see it in the flesh but no dout u like a million miles away lol

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Cant wait to hear it running with the vids your going to make :cool:

would be nice to see it in the flesh but no dout u like a million miles away lol

there will be first start videos, then a couple others, then mapping video and will get someone to stand and film doing some drive bys lol

Black Clio GT
that turbo is AWESOME!!!!!

bit off topic but what are those things called that you run along side the battery to boost ignition, seen a few rx's with them.......

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
erm, you either mean the grounding kits or ignition amplifiers? you got a pic of what you mean lol??

basically anything over 350ish bhp needs ignition amps just because the rotary shifts so much air it blows the spark out, if you run water injection there is even more need for it :)

i took a hit off of a stock ht lead with plug in it (was testing spark) i dont want to do it with the ignition boosted from 12v to 20v lol!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
ok the rx7 is retarded with its coil system lol it has 3 coils, one controls the 2 leading sparks, and the other 2 control the trailing...

when the car is running the leading sparks are mainly the only ones running, you amplify these 2 plugs so that one coil, the other sparks only really spark completely on boost, though they have a weak spark when the engine is running off of boost... basically a whole heap of magic happens in the engine that no one really understands lol!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Japan shipment just arrived :)

got a greddy elbow (fits on the tb, standard one is a big ugly plastic jobby...) its shorter than standard but thats easy to sort :) its supposedly polished from the factory but im gonna have to go over it as around the greddy logo... they just didnt bother lol!

P1000418.jpg

P1000419.jpg

P1000420.jpg

can also see the filter im gonna be running, its a k&n universal filter, will flow up to 700bhp so does its job, they are cheap too and they are proven! only cost like 35 quid and not many other filters have a 4" inlet and will flow that much without spending stupid money, plus drag cars run them so its good enough for me :)

this also came with my other part from japan... uh oh....
P1000426.jpg

P1000425.jpg

P1000427.jpg

so its not supposed to be used outside of japan lol... oh well im sure i will be fine its just a catch tank lol and thats the only english on the entire thing!
was gonna go for a standard cheapy catch tank... but thats not jdm tyte y0! lol!

oh and my intercooler arrived the other day...
P1000424.jpg

needs to be modified the inlet and outlet are being chopped off and closed up, then on top of the end tanks there will be a 3" hole cut either side then some 3" 90degree ali bends will be welded on in the right orientation, so it can be used in a v mount configuration :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lag lol?!

the amount of time it takes to fill and pressurise a intercooler of any size is like .000001 of a second, the pipe run will be a max of 10-12" either side... prob less, there will be no more lag with this than any other way...

there is a car in america pretty much the same settup as me... he got 10.53 1/4 mile this weekend...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
not even joking im tempted to get one, been looking at renting garages too, there is a place near me that the garage is big enough for 2 cars, loads of space all secure locking and an electronic gate to get in the yard its 50 quid a month...but its heated and has electricity included... my mum is looking at getting rid of her mrk3 mx5 and either getting a new one or something different which she said i could use instead of me buying a second car as she doesnt drive much...

Love the work that's going into this thing.

Having experienced the sheer power of a tuned RX7 (a certain EDC one...), and the noise of a bridgeported engine, i've gotta say, the Rotary's are certainly a great package, especially for the size of the things!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
trust me i want it in more than anyone! but my friend who owns the garage is in monza racing historic race cars... its a hard life lol! i think he is back tonight or tomorrow... i will be there this week getting everything finalized and dropping it in :D

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i was semi tempted... its been on the rx7 clubs for a week or so... and nearly did do it... however on top of the 3k he wants for the engine i would need another 5-7k to make it work and fit.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Please tell me you're going to refurb the wheels now? I think it'd freshen up the whole car soooo much! Oh and get some tyre shine ;)

<3 what you're doing with this.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
todays update.

took the engine to the car today :)

removed the ABS and did new brake lines and started cleaning the bay, also stuck the new injectors and the secondary rail on, im having a dilemma weather to also stick a billet primary rail on or not... its like another 200 quid for the 850cc top feed injectors and the rail lol but it looks really nice! will see how much my mate is gonna charge me...

anyway here are some pics of the rail

_DSC0015-3.jpg

_DSC0019-4.jpg

this weekend im stripping the loom back to the wires and removing all the connectors i dont need (there is about 15 connectors to remove from the old twin turbo rubbish!)

tomorrow im gonna order a load of loom tape (not electrical tape as the glue melts and it goes all nasty, loom tape doesnt have a sticky side but when you stretch it, it bonds to itself and then heat shrinks it, but its still easy to remove. also gonna get a load of new loom covering, the conveluted tubing stuff) so the loom will look all nice and tidy :)

going back tuesday to finish degreasing the bay, toothbrush ready lol! then i got a few brackets to remove then im gonna spray it black (was going to do it pink, but its going to be a massive pain in the arse and i think the way the engine is a nice smooth black will look classier) also cut out the top crossmember (not a strengthening part) and im having a new stronger bar put in to mount my intercooler off, which JUST fits ha! and i will also fab up some rad mounts.

im running the stock rad for a month while running in then a supplier is getting me a thicker alloy rad to replace it with, hopefully if i can get the rad and intercooler mounted i can get some templates made up for the ducting as im going v mount intercooler (rad is on a 45degree lean bottom at the front of the car) then the intercooler sits on top of it, ducting on the sides and possibly a flat bottom under the engine so air is forced through the rad and intercooler, its done alot in japan and america, you can buy ready made kits but your looking at 1500 quid for it!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
This car is made of awesomeness and win but im not a fan of the wheels