ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SM inlet (RS2 style) for 182

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
why?
do i have to look after every thread whats written?
i newly saw this thread and want to make some explanations
some of them said that its not quality, how can be cast alu quality and machined alu not quality can anyone explain this
dan said that there are leakages , everyone knows that this car is not turbo and even in oem manifold all sensors are not screwed and only a tight fitment because it is sucking in all the sensors while runing. so how can be a leakage out

the other thing is i dont care always dyno s because sometimes they dont give the right values depending on the quality and operator of the device
in turkey there is a word dont test your car on dyno test it on road with an other car, and you can see the difference and improvment of the car

after mailing and not getting any response from rs2 for 2 months we said that why we dont make this and our first aim is not make profit because we are still using these kits 3 of our cars and very happy for the results. we made them for our own
some said that the car is rich and can they recognize it

yes the dyno result is only 1.5 hp for drake but how can be the car feels very responsive with only 1.5 hp's

everybody knows that if you want to get in more air firstifull your compressions must be good
i couldnt know if every car is healty with high compressions psi 's corect timing with coreect map
i am only selling these items form ebay and most of them are happy
You sent the item in a shitty box with no packaging hence damage,then the throttle body side needs drilling and other things,£850 is a lot of money to me,and tbh your reply says it all.I think stevie wonder could have done a better job :smile:

clio rs 2000
I sent 10 kits to europe but only parcelforce playing football with these packages. Very interesting?
Decided to sent them in a wooden package so they can play more easily dd
If you are after a few sratches and a broken 1 quid connection, dont fit it in your car put it in your saloon and only watch it for fun.
In the other point yes i was out of city and 3 packages sent wrong by our workers out of 7
This is my fault but this is not the end of the world. We have fitted a ph1 one to a 182 because all of them sent to europe and he dont want to wait to cut and weld a new flange. Only drillrd 4 holes not screwed put longer bolts attached a nut back of it and 4 bolts 4 nuts cost £0.5
By the way 850 is a big price but 1000 is more bigger
I also said to you alex Only 1 set left and the next production will be 1000 +postage + paypal fees ex hose
I didnt sold you this by forcing you. You sent me almost 20 messages and decided to buy so whats the proble
The last message you sent tome is you want me to send the correct plate and said you will fit it so whats the problem again
if stevie wonder makes better ask to him for a help dd

clio rs 2000
@cliosportap

The reason why it feels different is he's spent £850 on it, of course it feels different to him.
So the new buyers will feel much more better because the price will be 1000+ dd
The more you pay the more you got

I also want ask to how can it be recognized that the car is rich without a afr gauge and without a unburnt exhaust smell. Is there a way for it. I am only asking it for curiosity

Last edited:
The leaking pipe is just a plastic fitting with no form of seals. If it leaks with equal pressure, it's certainly going to leak with 15-20inHG negative pressure. But as I said this is easily sorted with an o-ring.

Need a proper back to back RR on the same car with the graphs (including afr's) over lapped and then of course a proper re-map (bearing in mind you will gain power with a proper re-map anyway which is why the back to back AFR graphs would be ideal)

i'm looking forward to seeing what happens when Dan does them back to back

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Can anyone else understand what he said?
You sound like a bit of a c**k to be honest mate. You don't speak to people who are spending almost £1000 for one of your products like that.
You sent the wrong bits, wrong sizes etc etc. Its "your" fault, not your workers, you are in charge.
Guess the standards in turkey aren't quite up to scratch.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Can anyone else understand what he said?
You sound like a bit of a c**k to be honest mate. You don't speak to people who are spending almost £1000 for one of your products like that.
You sent the wrong bits, wrong sizes etc etc. Its "your" fault, not your workers, you are in charge.
Guess the standards in turkey aren't quite up to scratch.
Totally agree Lee

clio rs 2000
The leaking pipe is just a plastic fitting with no form of seals. If it leaks with equal pressure, it's certainly going to leak with 15-20inHG negative pressure. But as I said this is easily sorted with an o-ring.
ok come to me like this
but this doesnt make the kit bad quality i can change the connectors with pnomatic ones which are capable for 10 bar and screw them on it
this is a 3-5 pound job. also the reason why the plenum is aliitle bit small the space betwwen the front panel is different on every car
we found this and for not having problem make it like this. some engines are nearer to the panel (i dont know why but maybe from the upper engine mount)
if you want i can change the design in 10 minutes make a huge plenum and if you agree cuting the front panel also increase the lenght of the runners
this is 10 minutes for me, after that loaded to the cnc and watch the machine with my coffee to finish it

but i see some guys dont want to help to develop items like this and only talking
i have a megane 225 and all the sensors and hoses are leaking boost on the oem manifold
so in your opinion the manifold must be rubbish, i made a few alu arms for pressing them back when the boost come and sorted out all the leakage

@ leers maybe someone understand me but i couldnt understand you
do you know what i talked or ofered to the buyers or do you know what i sent or refunded them
i made a deal with all of them so how can you talk like this?

do you know 2 years ago i bought a single mass flywheel from ktec and it came wrong, it was for r26r although i said not to send with ups and they agreed, again they send it with ups quoted twice the price of it for custom fees (in turkey ups have customs inside and they make money for that job)
finally the part is wrong i payed 1000 for a flywheel although it is 400 also paid for taking off and fitting the gearbox + oil
and the only word is "sorry the workers made a mistake" and no communication after that to sort it out

so think alittle bit more and think if 4 holes can cost £200 which another said that i have to refund
4 holes : £200
the whole kit is : £850
i think i am selling very cheap:D

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I think that's a good option, or just an o-ring will solve it.

The RS 2 is deeper down wards towards the bottom of the engine block, which is where it gets the volume from.
And even that's not big enough imo. The space between the bellmouths/trumpets is to close to the plenum wall as well so it alters how the air is drawn in.
When I had mine I was going to fit a reverie carbon plenum that's substantially larger with more space for better airflow. Bottled it when they came back with a price of just shy of 1k for the plenum and baseplate. Lol!

And even that's not big enough imo. The space between the bellmouths/trumpets is to close to the plenum wall as well so it alters how the air is drawn in.
When I had mine I was going to fit a reverie carbon plenum that's substantially larger with more space for better airflow. Bottled it when they came back with a price of just shy of 1k for the plenum and baseplate. Lol!
Totally agree. But the inlet in this thread doesn't even have a distinctive bell mouth.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Anyone who wants one of these manifold should just wait for a second hand RS2.

End of the day James who did the RS2 manifold cares so much for the product he made he'd go above and beyond to anyone. You can still get hold of him and he talk you through all the fitting, make sure you got all the bits and any advise you needed he'd give.
He even drove my manifold 60-70miles to me so it didn't get damaged in the post.

Clio 172, Octavia RS
Hatto, if you've got an RSTuner, and have done some data logs previously, you should be able to tell pretty quickly if the intake has improved or worsened airflow. Just look at the pressure differentials and fuel trim values. The fuel trim in particular is useful, and quite sensitive. My LTFT changed notably (112 to 122 from memory) when I matched my inlet and replaced my injectors - that clearly shows that the engine was sucking a bit more air and/or getting a more complete burn due to better fuel atomisation. My values are still low (should be 128), so something else is wrong (might just be the age of the engine), but the concept still applies. If you're engine is healthy, and the new inlet is increasing the airflow I should expect your LTFT to be >128.

Someone with tuning experience should be able to clarify, but pretty sure the point above is correct...

Fuek trims won't tell you anything really. Also as the map sensor isn't at the intake port but is actually in the plenum it won't say if there's a restriction anywhere after the plenum which is where I believe the flow issues will be, or can be improved.

Mk1 1.8 16V Turbo
Dan@sjm why dont you work with this guy and develop a system with him. If he has the tallent to CNC the parts and with your knowledge surely it would be a worthwhile job especially if it would work with a turbo conversion.

Track 172 Cup
Pitty the guy who made the original RS2 inlet didn't see this thread and think 'hmmmm I could make a batch and clean up just before Christmas' lol plenty of people would buy them judging by what they fetch 2nd hand and how sought after they are.

172 Ph1
Wow - what a thread . Just read the last half of it now.
I know , I know , it's not Mapped yet ,but may still have potential be good in the end.
I hope it is as its cost a bit.
Once Dan has the results of the back to back results we will all know one way or another .
With Regards to the Rs2 , good luck with getting hold of one , they are like Rocking horse poo [emoji6].

Clio 172, Octavia RS
Fuek trims won't tell you anything really. Also as the map sensor isn't at the intake port but is actually in the plenum it won't say if there's a restriction anywhere after the plenum which is where I believe the flow issues will be, or can be improved.

Can you please clarify??? As far as I'm aware that is exactly what the LTFT is there for. When the lambda sensor voltages indicates the engine is running leaner or richer than the ECU expects at a given throttle/rpm/MAP values, it adjusts the fuelling to compensate. That is why both the short term and long term trims are commonly used to assess manifold leaks etc - engine running lean because air is bypassing the tb, ECU corrects accordingly. Equally when the engine is old and piston rings/valves don't seal as good as they once did (lower comp), the engine will not suck in as much air on the inlet stroke. This results in the AF mix being a little rich, and the ECU will detect this, and alter the fuelling accordingly.

The inlet pressures would probably be too subtle to measure, and as you say depends on the exact placement of the MAP sensor. However, if the inlet manifold is restrictive downstream of the MAP sensor compared to OEM setup, there would theoretically be a small increase in the pressure readings. This is because the air molecules would be dammed up in the plenum (where the MAP sensor is on this design?), trying to get through the individual inlet tracts into the combustion chamber - increasing the static pressure in the plenum. This is only valid if the restriction (or lack of) is downstream of the MAP sensor, and probably a moot point anyhow because the difference would be so small/variable... Pretty easily modelled in the correct software, so I shall have a play with it at work next week to confirm/deny for my own interest if nothing else.

Keen to see how this unfolds anyhow, good to see some people taking the plunge on such things :)

Can you please clarify??? As far as I'm aware that is exactly what the LTFT is there for. When the lambda sensor voltages indicates the engine is running leaner or richer than the ECU expects at a given throttle/rpm/MAP values, it adjusts the fuelling to compensate. That is why both the short term and long term trims are commonly used to assess manifold leaks etc - engine running lean because air is bypassing the tb, ECU corrects accordingly. Equally when the engine is old and piston rings/valves don't seal as good as they once did (lower comp), the engine will not suck in as much air on the inlet stroke. This results in the AF mix being a little rich, and the ECU will detect this, and alter the fuelling accordingly.

The inlet pressures would probably be too subtle to measure, and as you say depends on the exact placement of the MAP sensor. However, if the inlet manifold is restrictive downstream of the MAP sensor compared to OEM setup, there would theoretically be a small increase in the pressure readings. This is because the air molecules would be dammed up in the plenum (where the MAP sensor is on this design?), trying to get through the individual inlet tracts into the combustion chamber - increasing the static pressure in the plenum. This is only valid if the restriction (or lack of) is downstream of the MAP sensor, and probably a moot point anyhow because the difference would be so small/variable... Pretty easily modelled in the correct software, so I shall have a play with it at work next week to confirm/deny for my own interest if nothing else.

Keen to see how this unfolds anyhow, good to see some people taking the plunge on such things :)

The fuel trims are only as good as the lambda sensor reading the mixture. Assuming, they're all ok is asking for trouble.

As for the map sensor and "damning" that would be correct on a forced induction engine. However tuning with atmospheric pressure means that it would create vacuum rather than a high map reading.

172 Turbo
To add to the above, James has confirmed he can't make any at the moment. So, it's up to Tom to supply them, I've asked someone to contact him.

Clio 172, Octavia RS
The fuel trims are only as good as the lambda sensor reading the mixture. Assuming, they're all ok is asking for trouble.

As for the map sensor and "damning" that would be correct on a forced induction engine. However tuning with atmospheric pressure means that it would create vacuum rather than a high map reading.

Well seems as the car is relying on the lambda sensor whenever it is in closed loop, you should probably replace it if it can't be relied upon ;) Back to back manifold tests using the same lambda sensor would eliminate inaccuracy of the sensor anyhow.

The same theory applies turbo or no turbo. It comes down to pressure differentials, all a turbo does is create a bigger pressure differential between the inlet manifold and combustion chamber. So instead of 1 atmosphere worth of pressure trying to get into the cylinder when the inlet valves open, you now have 2 or 3 atmospheres of pressure. In either case you are trying to enable a quicker redistribution of pressure (number of air molecules per volume) between the manifold (high pressure) and combustion chamber (low pressure), so you can get more O2 into the cylinder while the inlet valves are open. If you had a theoretical restriction of nothing between the plenum and cylinder (really good inlet tract), the moment the inlet valves opened the pressure between the two would be identical. As there is a restriction further upstream (air filter), this would create a momentary low pressure in the inlet manifold, which would be read by the MAP sensor. By contrast, if you have a lot of restriction between the plenum and cylinder (really bad inlet tract), when the inlet valves open the pressure redistribution would be much slower, and in a bad example the cylinder pressure would never reach that of the plenum. In this case, the plenum pressure would always remain at, or very close to, atmospheric (or whatever your boost pressure is in a turbocharged application). So long story short, assuming upstream is identical, you will have a higher plenum pressure with a crap inlet tract design, and a lower one with a really good inlet.

To explain that in more visual terms... Imagine you have 10,000 people (air molecules) in a stadium. You then ask all of them to leave as quickly as possible through a single door (inlet tract). If you have a small door (crap inlet), you'll have a huge number of people piled together in a greater density (pressure) on the stadium side of the doorway trying to get outside to the low density area (cylinder). If the door was much bigger, allowing more people through more quickly, the density of the crowd stuck at the door would be less.

In reality I think the difference would be too small to measure, and there is so much other stuff going on there with the movement of multiple valves at different times etc, but the basic concept applies.

But as I said the port could be flowing, and a restriction be between the plenum and the port (so in the runner) map will still read atmospheric, but the pressure at the inlet valves actually be under a slight amount of negative pressure.

But anyway, we're very much getting away from the point that we were originally talking about lol.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Would like to see a mapped figure on standard cams before the 438's go in.
But can appreciate that won't happen due to time / costs.

Also horrified at the sellers response! Not sure if poor translation or generally agressive. Mistakes happen, it's the way they get dealt with that makes it though!

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
his attitude,sending item in s**t packaging powdercoat coming off,wrong coil pack mount.10-12 bhp claim made on the ebay sales thread on unmapped car load of bullshit.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
his attitude,sending item in s**t packaging powdercoat coming off,wrong coil pack mount.10-12 bhp claim made on the ebay sales thread on unmapped car load of bullshit.
Yeah I must be honest, I find the replies and his, what appears to be a total lack of support for what's essentially his mistake bewildering. It could've filled a gap in the market quite nicely, but anyone who sees this thread now will no doubt bid it b****cks and hold out for a 2nd hand rs2.

172 Turbo
It could've filled a gap in the market quite nicely, but anyone who sees this thread now will no doubt bid it b****cks and hold out for a 2nd hand rs2.

I've asked James Stone the other night if he intended to make any more, which he confirmed he isn't at the moment.

So I asked him to make one more batch of RS2s on the condition I can sell all 5 and hand him 5 deposits before he spends his time on the project. Sadly, he hasn't responded.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've asked James Stone the other night if he intended to make any more, which he confirmed he isn't at the moment.

So I asked him to make one more batch of RS2s on the condition I can sell all 5 and hand him 5 deposits before he spends his time on the project. Sadly, he hasn't responded.
He may have to have more than 5 made mate to keep himself from being out of pocket.