ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Gaming Thread (General Gaming Jibba Jabba)

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I know we normally have individual threads for the big AAA titles, but thought it would be good if we had a general thread for discussion of smaller titles that don't demand their own thread or just general news in the gaming world etc.

Not system (PC/Console/other) specific.

Most of the general talk was just happening in a random assortment of gaming threads.

Feel free to talk about indie titles, an old game you're playing, any new releases or future releases, links to deals etc, anything that doesn't have its own dedicated thread.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I pre-ordered Unravel as I've been waiting for it for ages! Sadly I won't get chance to play it for a while... :(

Talking of games I have played recently though, I worked my way through an old favourite of mine that I hadn't played in a good 10 years or so; System Shock 2. It looks crap by today's standards (even with updated texture packs, etc.) but it still plays quite well and succeeded in getting me on edge. I can't wait for the third game in the series.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I played a bit of Unravel, it's gorgeous, and the backing music is great, has a wonderful feel to it.

I'm going to get Firewatch too.

The only issue I'm having is that I'm buying games at a rate quicker than I can finish them fully. I've just finished Drake's Fortune from the Remaster Collection, still have 2 and 3 to do, I bought AC: Syndicate while it was on sale at base (seemed to be a lot of game for £18.99) and I've got Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on the way because it was cheap and highly recommended, and I'd like to play it before Rise of the... comes to PS4.

There's quite a few smaller titles I'd like to go back to also; I want to play Dishonoured before 2 comes out. I still have DA:I unfinished too, I started in on the hardest difficulty and the battle planning mode was too big a learning curve on hardest difficulty.

I'm currently playing a game called "Subnautica" on the PC.

It's basically a survival game where you're on a planet which has no land and just water. Have to kill fish to eat and gather resources for an underwater base, tools, submarines and stuff. It's addicting, but quite difficult to begin with.

Loads of videos on YouTube of it.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I started Firewatch last night, played about an hour but really enjoying it so far, I think it's the first 'indie' game I've bought.

Great so far, the voice acting is superb and navigating around with the map gives you a good sense of being in this massive area despite really only being a few paths and trails.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Currently going back to 2008 and playing 1942:First Strike on the PS3. Absolutely love the whole genre of sideways/vertical shooters. A good test of reactions - even at the ripe age of 41.. :wink:

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I started Firewatch last night, played about an hour but really enjoying it so far, I think it's the first 'indie' game I've bought.

Great so far, the voice acting is superb and navigating around with the map gives you a good sense of being in this massive area despite really only being a few paths and trails.
Yeah, looks really interesting.

Do you know how many hours it takes roughly?

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Yeah, looks really interesting.

Do you know how many hours it takes roughly?
I think it's roughly 6 hours, I'm tending to walk about and look at everything rather than jog everywhere so it'll hopefully be a little longer.

Although it's refreshing to pay only £15, with the amount by of time I have to spend on games these days a shorter game doesn't worry me so much.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I think it's roughly 6 hours, I'm tending to walk about and look at everything rather than jog everywhere so it'll hopefully be a little longer.

Although it's refreshing to pay only £15, with the amount by of time I have to spend on games these days a shorter game doesn't worry me so much.
What format did you get it on?

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
What format did you get it on?
PS4, it does have some frame rate issues but because nothing's happening quickly and you don't need to be always on the ball it doesn't effect it too much, IMO anyway

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
PS4, it does have some frame rate issues but because nothing's happening quickly and you don't need to be always on the ball it doesn't effect it too much, IMO anyway
Was just wondering if you were aware of using other regions PSN, digital downloads are much cheaper in the US and Canada.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I was not! It can't be much cheaper... Can it?
I was surprised.

Unravel was £15 here, £9.90 in Canada.
In the EA Sale the other day, Battlefront was £30 here, $40 in Canada, which is just under £20.

I only started doing it recently, it soon adds up. Digital sales here are nearly always at retail and over the price you can get the physical game from a shop, but in the US and Canada they're much cheaper. Plus they get some content we don't get like DLC, Japan gets loads of stuff we don't get.

I was worried about T&C's, but one of the bosses of Sony has said he has multiple PSN accounts for different regions and Sony don't do region locking.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I was surprised.

Unravel was £15 here, £9.90 in Canada.
In the EA Sale the other day, Battlefront was £30 here, $40 in Canada, which is just under £20.

I only started doing it recently, it soon adds up. Digital sales here are nearly always at retail and over the price you can get the physical game from a shop, but in the US and Canada they're much cheaper. Plus they get some content we don't get like DLC, Japan gets loads of stuff we don't get.

I was worried about T&C's, but one of the bosses of Sony has said he has multiple PSN accounts for different regions and Sony don't do region locking.
I'll have to look into it for next time, I never usually bother with downloads as they are usually about £50 for new games for a reason that I haven't worked out yet

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have to look into it for next time, I never usually bother with downloads as they are usually about £50 for new games for a reason that I haven't worked out yet
Yeah, it's a joke prices here, Sony's regions are independent so they all have different deals and prices. In the US digital downloads are cheaper than physical most of the time which is how it should be really.

Over here they still want you to pay £50 for The Order 1886 because it's RRP, ignoring the fact it's poor and about 6 hours long.

Japan is worse though, games over there are generally about ~£70 new, f**k that!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Yeah, it's a joke prices here, Sony's regions are independent so they all have different deals and prices. In the US digital downloads are cheaper than physical most of the time which is how it should be really.

Over here they still want you to pay £50 for The Order 1886 because it's RRP, ignoring the fact it's poor and about 6 hours long.

Japan is worse though, games over there are generally about ~£70 new, f**k that!
That's interesting, I've always thought it was madness to charge more for a digital download, obviously they are just screwing us over

Lol at £70 for a game

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
That's interesting, I've always thought it was madness to charge more for a digital download, obviously they are just screwing us over

Lol at £70 for a game
It is madness, but the convenience is how they reel you in.

Can you still cheat your Xbox into changing your location to get games from the cheaper stores?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
This is why I rent games until i'm done with them. £15.99 for any 2 games at a time per month. Video game leasing FTW.

DCi
Lost my PS4 to a 11 year old... Missus nephew is visiting

Within 15 mins of walking through the door he wanted the wifi password

I do feel mean about pulling the LAN wire out though haha

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Started playing GTA III, nostalgia got the better of me, thought it would be fun, it's f**king w**k.

Amazing how far we've come, I remember when this game was the best game ever, now it's truly terrible to try and play.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Been watching a Firewatch play through on YouTube. The story, visuals and musical score are incredible so far. It's starting to take a darker turn though..
It is fantastic, basically an interactive story rather than a game but it's very well done.

Can't help but want a better ending though.

Goliath I
Been playing Modern Warfare 3 as I dont have any other COD game. Plays much better than it did when it came out tbh

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Started playing GTA III, nostalgia got the better of me, thought it would be fun, it's f**king w**k.

Amazing how far we've come, I remember when this game was the best game ever, now it's truly terrible to try and play.

I tried playing IV after V... just impossible! Still, I'd always have time for the original.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I tried playing IV after V... just impossible! Still, I'd always have time for the original.
I finished 3 and I am on to Vice City now.

It's better to play than 3, it's acceptable, and it's probably the most charismatic GTA ever, the 80's Miami vibe, with a great soundtrack, the world is a lot more colourful than GTA 3.

Once I'm done with VC I'm gonna have to take a break and play something else before hitting up San Andreas.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Had a bash at CS:GO online last night. Good god - I forgot how bad both I and 'it' was as an online experience. You think COD is rife with the haves and have nots - this thing is a joke. When I died for the 4th time having scored the same amount of hits against the target, yet half the damage - I was out. Not forgetting the 20secs play, 120secs sat on your arse waiting for the next round to start.

Megane 250
Still got metal gear solid V and fallout 4 to go back too, not played Halo 5 online yet either.

Play Black Ops 3 online most at the moment, going to pick up the division next month I think.

DCi
Had a bash at CS:GO online last night. Good god - I forgot how bad both I and 'it' was as an online experience. You think COD is rife with the haves and have nots - this thing is a joke. When I died for the 4th time having scored the same amount of hits against the target, yet half the damage - I was out. Not forgetting the 20secs play, 120secs sat on your arse waiting for the next round to start.
I could never get into CS, no scopes did my head in..I think Rainbow 6 Siege is my favorite at the moment, it's a good balance of
-Cod, small Search and destroy type maps
-Battlefield - destructible terrain walls, but because the maps are so small it's actually worthwhile, rather than blowing up an entire building for no real reason.
-CS - terrorist/SWAT type vibe, small 5v5 teams in every game

it isn't that good without friends though

Goliath I
So since I've been playing MW3 on 360 thought I'd chuck a tenner and get Advanced Warfare on Xbone... When the f**k did COD become Halo? Everyone's bouncing round like they're on trampolines! I was getting vertigo playing the damn thing. The graphics on a par with boderlands too...

Is Black Ops 3 or Ghosts any different?

Goliath I
Got it in Game second hand, had 2 quid on my card so took it to a tenner.

The more I play it the angrier I get! Theres people double jumping, jump dashing, its like trying to shoot f**king flies! If I had paid £55 for this I would have been seriously pissed.... Just checked BLOPS 3 and they have Wall Running?!

Looking at COD: Ghosts I wish I'd bought that now, as it was made by the guys who done the MW series whereas the others were made by another Developer

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got it in Game second hand, had 2 quid on my card so took it to a tenner.

The more I play it the angrier I get! Theres people double jumping, jump dashing, its like trying to shoot f**king flies! If I had paid £55 for this I would have been seriously pissed.... Just checked BLOPS 3 and they have Wall Running?!

Looking at COD: Ghosts I wish I'd bought that now, as it was made by the guys who done the MW series whereas the others were made by another Developer

The problem with Ghosts - on the PC platform anyway, is that its a massively flawed port from the console platform. It is not in anyway optimized and can literally hang for a few seconds, before continuing. The main issue appears to be with the memory - it continues to climb in usage up to 99% where (understandably) - the PC begins to choke. It's clearly a memory leak issue and one that has not been addressed since the games' release in 2013. No other COD game behaves like this - even other COD titles from Treyarch.

It's made me extremely wary of buying another COD game. Thankfully, I only paid about £7 for it.