ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomoTek - 182 Track Build here we come!...

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Everyone!....

I have owned two Clio's since December '13 and have finally got round to joining up on Clio Sport as a full member!

I bought a Silver 172 as a general run around, and also a Arctic Blue 182 which I intend to prep solely for the track

I thought it would be fun to document the prep of my 182 on here for all to see..... so here goes!

182 Track Build here we come....

During a recent trip to the Nurburging I was lucky (depending you speak to) to be a passenger, 4 up in a clio, dropping into the Carousel on a very wet track! At this moment of total hilarity, which was captured on my GoPro:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151537102195566&l=713178329253481054

The decision was made!.... I had to own one for myself and prep it for the 'ring'

I was lucky in that one of the guys we had gone with was selling his Arctic Blue 182 (which had been owned previously by another one of our friends, so had a good history)
nearing the 100K mileage mark, but as I intend on giving it a good overhaul that didn't put me off. So £1700 later and here she is:

36016837991_1c87e0f51c_c.jpg

36016833451_791247c726_c.jpg

It had already had a few mods to it as its already done quite a few track days, including the Nurburgring:
  • Koni 2 way adjustable dampers
  • Eibach lowering springs
  • OZ F1 wheels
  • Polybush Suspension
  • OMP strut brace
  • Stainless braided lines
However As I intend to prep it solely for track I shall be replacing and upgrading most parts!.. I shall write a spec list soon of what I intend to do. Your input/hints and tips during the build will be greatly appreciated!

I have already done some work on the car as I have had it a while (mainly stripping bits off) so will post some updates soon!

Looking forward to getting it on track! :smiley:

Last edited:
  1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Sounds a good buy, great colour with good history and some good upgrades for track, I'd be happy if I were you!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds a good buy, great colour with good history and some good upgrades for track, I'd be happy if I were you!

Yeah, I was really happy. Obviously I knew it would come with a few niggles with the mileage and track use it had been subjected too... But hey, what's the point in owning a Clio if you don't have it to have fun in!.. And at that price I definitely got a good deal.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Yeah, I was really happy. Obviously I knew it would come with a few niggles with the mileage and track use it had been subjected too... But hey, what's the point in owning a Clio if you don't have it to have fun in!.. And at that price I definitely got a good deal.

It was a very good price! Not sure I like the boot handle though! I do really like the wheels and looks like it sits nicely with the lowering springs

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
It was a very good price! Not sure I like the boot handle though! I do really like the wheels and looks like it sits nicely with the lowering springs

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the handle either.. It was a Carbon piece, however it hadn't been moulded very well so there was a lot of of pin holes/voids and tooling marks all over it, so it has been well and truly discarded now!

Yeah the Eibach springs give it a good look, the 172 behind is sitting on CookSport springs which sit really nice too, I thought the feel of the CookSport springs where better after driving both.
However as I intend to run the car solely on track I intend on fitting coilover units.

Still unsure on whether to run the OZ-F1's or to swap for the Turinis... I suppose I have a while to figure that one out.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Yeah I wasn't a fan of the handle either.. It was a Carbon piece, however it hadn't been moulded very well so there was a lot of of pin holes/voids and tooling marks all over it, so it has been well and truly discarded now!

Yeah the Eibach springs give it a good look, the 172 behind is sitting on CookSport springs which sit really nice too, I thought the feel of the CookSport springs where better after driving both.
However as I intend to run the car solely on track I intend on fitting coilover units.

Still unsure on whether to run the OZ-F1's or to swap for the Turinis... I suppose I have a while to figure that one out.

Keep the wheels that are on it :) they look good!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

First proper update on the car!...

I bought the Clio back in the beginning of February from a friend of a friend who was kind enough to meet me half way in Stamford (2.5hrs away still!) so I had a nice little drive back to get to know the car!

First thoughts... Great little car, plenty of grunt, lovely interior, everything worked as it should electrically (no lights on the dash), however there was an odd feeling to the steering (felt as if there was a 'dead spot' of a few degrees before the wheels turned after my steering input) which was quite off putting as it began hammering it down with rain half way home!.. My initial thoughts, as I was cautiously floating down the M25 were that due to the ages of the car and its track use, it was probably some worn joints.

When I arrived home I parked it up, took a couple of pics and then put it straight in the garage for more investigations and to begin stripping it down ready for its track ready facelift!..

Here are a couple of initial pics I took once it was settled in its spot in the garage. Not the best pics I have to admit but I was far too excited to start stripping it and see what the issue was, and hadn't really planned on doing a build thread at the time:

35734190292_ddd9f00285_h.jpg

35734188582_566113fc71_c.jpg

35734189132_36c8e644cd_c.jpg

35734191222_1146ae4e0e_c.jpg

As you can see she was a tad dirty under the bonnet, and most of the suspension components had seen their fair share of traffic film. I decided to remove all the front suspension components to determine the cause of the ‘dead spot’ (plus I plan on replacing it all anyway) …

This was soon pinpointed to the RH side, (once the car was on stands there was noticeable play in the wheel assembly). The Lower ball joint was shot and also the track rod end had a small amount play too, which confirmed my initial suspicions. Upon removal of the lower wishbone it was also noted that the tack welds on the steel sleeve of the Powerflex bush on the front leg had cracked, and as I removed the wishbone the sleeve actually fell out!..... With all this combined it would explain the feeling I was getting!

Possibly a vicious pot hole was the cause?? or one of the huge curbs on the Nordschliefe :tongueclosed:.. the LH side was fine however!

Last edited:

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

The obvious next step was to start dismantling more of the car and strip out the interior

So over the next few months, when I had the time as work got a little hectic, I started to press on and get things removed.

Here are a few more pics or my progress:

All the bits I took off inspecting the suspension…. (The engine and struts are off my housemates old 106 GTI that he sold)

35515726960_d130f9e7b4_c.jpg

Bumper, Lights and Grills off, and a quick oil drain!...

35903812705_d8a5a185eb_c.jpg

Subframe, rad , AC Condenser, and intake ducting / filter off…

35063754864_3e0ba3f6f1_c.jpg

35903814145_70629cd5a9_c.jpg

Inlet Plenum and exhaust system removed… (CAT pretty much fell off, but not surprising when you see the condition of the clamps!)

35063755764_942aab3ef1_c.jpg

35094559573_7088c44834_c.jpg

35903814875_ba1c5b4871_c.jpg

35094560273_8309e55c79_c.jpg

Front loom all disconnected and bagged up to protect the connectors until the washer bottle and wiper motor is removed so I can get to the bulkhead connector….

35063757844_949e347519_c.jpg

35063758694_7809566527_c.jpg

Heavy unnecessary AC Evaporator unit removed! (I plan to put the AC delete kit on the car)…

35063760124_da2300365d_c.jpg

35063761504_2a1161ecfd_c.jpg

ABS unit, Wiper Motor, Header tanks, Front Bonnet catch Brace Section all removed ready for the engine to be dropped out so work can commence on the prepping the front end and bulkhead! (I intend on stitch welding the chassis panels, removing all the unnecessary brackets and re painting the engine bay)....

35063763834_772459bc4c_c.jpg

The next job on the list was to drop the rear swing arm. I had to utilise a grinder to get a couple of the stubborn bolts out, but I got there in the end….

35063764624_066cf6579a_c.jpg

My attention then turned to the interior. After a few days of patiently removing the endless amounts of clips etc I managed to get the interior stripped down to this…..

35515726350_f96a6eab7f_c.jpg

35903821885_9a7efe259f_c.jpg

35903821975_6acec3741e_c.jpg

35515726420_22a9bbf331_c.jpg

That's pretty much where I am at now with the project.

My plan for this weekend is:
  • Drop the engine out
  • Remove all the Tar from the engine bay and interior panels
  • Sort through the interior (Not keeping any of it so it shall soon be for sale... watch this space)
  • Start to prep the engine bay
I will write up my project spec tomorrow and get that up so you can all see what I intend to do!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got round to writing up a proposed spec for the Track Beast!...

I intend to build the car in 2 stages. The reason being, I want to get out on the track and enjoy the car as soon as possible! The first stage will be a general track based spec, followed by stage 2 where I want to add some more ‘Race’ focused components!
I’ll just have to stay out the walls/Tyre barriers while I'm enjoying the car so I can make stage 2!

STAGE 1 Spec:

CHASSIS

• Stripped Chassis
  • Seam Welded Chassis / Bracket Removal / Strengthen Engine Bay
  • OMP Weld in Roll Cage
  • OMP Champ Fibreglass Seats MY2014
  • OMP Superleggera 6 Point Ultralight Harnesses
  • OMP Harness Reinforcement Plates
  • Custom Designed Subframes / Side Mounts
  • OMP Extinguisher System
  • Front Strut Brace
  • Gearstick Relocation/Reduce Throw

ENGINE

• Replacement Oil/Air Filters & Spark plugs
  • Powerflex Dog Bone Mount Bushes
  • Stiffer Upper Engine & Gearbox Mounts
  • RSTuner Ron97 Map
  • Ported & Matched Inlet
  • Custom Designed Header Tank
  • Custom Designed Rad & Fan

SUSPENSION

Front:

• Seam Welded and strengthened Subframe
  • Coilovers (AST Sportline or H&R)
  • Solid Top Mounts
  • OEM Wishbone Assemblies with Powerflex bushes
  • Powerflex front ARB Bushes

Rear:

• Seam Welded and Strengthened Subframe
  • Coilovers (AST Sportline or H&R)

BRAKES

Front:

• ABS Unit Removal
  • 172 Cup Brake Master Cylinder (4Port)
  • 172 Cup Brake Bias Block
  • Custom Stainless Hardlines
  • Goodridge Flexi Lines
  • Brembo HC Discs
  • Carbon Lorraine RC6 Pads

Rear:

• Goodridge Flexi Lines
  • OEM Rear Discs
  • OEM Rear Pads

STEERING

• Power Steering Pump Removal
  • OMP Corsica Suede Steering Wheel
  • OMP Clio Steering Wheel Boss
  • OEM Track Rod Ends
  • Powerflex Rack Bushes

ELECTRONICS

• Trimmed Down OEM Wiring Loom
  • Lightweight Lithium Battery (Re Located)

WHEEL & TYRES

• 16” Turinis
  • AVON ZZR Semi Cut Slicks

I’ve probably missed a few things off but that’s the general plan!.. Now to get it all ordered and crack on with the build!.... :rasp:

Clio Trophy 299
Might be worth getting an oil cooler, catch tank, fitting better engine mounts and gearbox mounts plus going for 15's as there so much cheaper....

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Got most of the jobs on the list for the weekend completed!, I'll upload some pics later tonight.
Engine out went easy enough with the use of the gantry from work! Also Ordered a fair few bits, starting to see some progress!

looks like this will be a good build!

subscribed :D

Cheers!, I'm hoping it will progress quite quickly so should be able to keep everyone up to date.. Just order all the OMP stuff, hoping that's here this week!, Straight from Italy!

My brother is selling a set of AST's with AST solid top mounts if you're trying to source some?

Hi Tom, I may well be interested!, PM me with a few more details (Price, history etc) ... Thanks for the info

Might be worth getting an oil cooler, catch tank, fitting better engine mounts and gearbox mounts plus going for 15's as there so much cheaper....

Cheers for the advice.... Yea, oil cooler is a good shout, was contemplating doing that as part of my Stage 2 build, but will probably need it straight away (Going to monitor the oil temps closely when I take it for a shakedown after its built, so can make an informed decision on size/capacity then) ... Defiantly going to fit the better engine mounts :D and my plan is to swap the Turinis I have currently on the 172 with the OZ F1's I have on the 182, so thankfully they'll be FOC .. Also contemplating running the 225 tyres which you can only get for 16"+

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

Thankfully I managed to get a good amount of time in the garage over the weekend to work on the Clio. Which was nice after yet another hectic week at work.

I managed to tick off pretty much everything on my to do list! I also ordered most of the brake components, OMP order and all the rod ends/ball joints etc. Hopefully that should all arrive some time this week. Cant wait to see some brand new bits.

Here's a few more pictures of the progress that was made:

I borrowed the hoist from work, and luckily it 'just' fit in the garage with millimetres to spare!.. The engine was dropped onto a drip tray and the front of the chassis raised so the engine could be pulled forward...

35734267812_1f28ae8ce0_c.jpg

35863135466_1ca0b30f35_c.jpg

The engine was put out the way on the drip tray ready to be cleaned up and have the AC delete work carried out etc....

35863136756_2920bdc2c6_c.jpg

The Loom was split at the bulkhead connector and both c0ckpit and engine bay looms were removed and bagged up...

35863141216_61f9be8104_c.jpg

Engine Bay fully stripped ready to be worked on...

35515753800_5361616d51_c.jpg

Took a quick break from the engine bay and removed the Tar strips from the floor of the c0ckpit/rear bodyside panels and the engine bay with a hot air gun.... (So heavy!)

35863132266_c290eb03ef_c.jpg

35515757610_649424c8a7_c.jpg

I also stripped the rear subframe ready for strengthening too...

35515755100_b9ea28e600_c.jpg

Back to the engine bay where I started to remove the unnecessary panels and brackets to remove weight and prepared the structural panels for stitch welding and some strengthening plates to be added...... Wire brush attachment on a grinder worked wonders on the horrible sealant over the joins, then used the Orbital sander to flat the original paint back ready for primer.....

35094584433_2284875ed2_c.jpg

35094582713_20711ddb44_c.jpg

All the brackets removed....

35863134266_611c350f11_c.jpg

The engine bay nearly ready for the next stage!....

35734266902_421c824161_c.jpg

Hopefully the cage will arrive this week so I can start to see where I need to clean up the interior panels and get that all dry fitted.

Then seat fitting!!!...

can't wait now to get further on with the project

Last edited:
  CLIO 182
Formula Student Clio?

haha in all seriousness it's looking epic mate! Hectic at work you clearly have too much time on your hands! Jealous of the bay work loving it mate! Safe to say I won't be on the pace with this (driver skill irrelevant lol) seen you in a kart tehe :rasp:

Last edited:

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Formula Student Clio?

haha in all seriousness it's looking epic mate! Hectic at work you clearly have too much time on your hands! Jealous of the bay work loving it mate! Safe to say I won't be on the pace with this (driver skill irrelevant lol) seen you in a kart tehe :rasp:

Haha!.. Alright Ant... I needed to fill the void formula student left behind didn't I .. Jeez works been intense mate, been doing 13hr days most days of the week since Feb!.. having to go in the garage when I get home at about 10pm (having to refrain from using the grinder too much too, might upset the neighbours, they wont understand "because... race car" haha)

Yea I thought I may as well go all in and get the engine out and do a proper job.. you know me, like to do things right!!! :approve:

Haha!.. who knows, lets see how the build goes.... got a few ideas up my sleeve to make it quicker.. watch this space!... ;)

Some good work there.

Will be keeping an eye on this one.

Cheers bud!, much appriciated.. hopefully I'll be posting some more interesting things soon when it starts to go back together

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
The OMP order arrived today from Italy... had it delivered to work so that put a smile on my face!.. just need to get it all home and unwrapped

The order included:

• Base roll cage
  • Seats x2
  • Harnesses x2
  • Steering Wheel
  • Steering Wheel Boss
  • Extinguisher
  • Nut Plates

Here's a sneak peak .... more pics to follow later when I get home

'Nicely' shrink wrapped to the pallet 😞 haha...

36017050881_2757c01016_c.jpg

All off and ready to be taken home (Think I'm going to have to borrow a van, I doubt I'll get it all in the daily runner)

35343524723_bee2a9734e_c.jpg

Last edited:
  CLIO 182
Haha!.. Alright Ant... I needed to fill the void formula student left behind didn't I .. Jeez works been intense mate, been doing 13hr days most days of the week since Feb!.. having to go in the garage when I get home at about 10pm (having to refrain from using the grinder too much too, might upset the neighbours, they wont understand "because... race car" haha)

Yea I thought I may as well go all in and get the engine out and do a proper job.. you know me, like to do things right!!! :approve:

Haha!.. who knows, lets see how the build goes.... got a few ideas up my sleeve to make it quicker.. watch this space!... ;)

Yeah man I know how it is haha! Especially seeing as tho you can't tinker with the iFour11! Must be hard for you! I'm still out of work sadly still do the odd weekend with Optimum but the money is nothing special so my "build" has slowed down haven't even updated my thread for a while not that I have the interest like this does already! Don't be afraid of the grinder it's what the people want! Everybody is scared to use it so they love seeing other people do the blades! Haha!

ps you need to get me a job haha! X

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

Good evening gents!.. finally had time to take and upload some pictures of the latest parts that have been delivered... Its been a busy couple of days. I've been down at Mallory Park & MIRA spannering for a couple of friends who entered their Clio 172 in the 'Rally of the Midlands' .. Mega fun!.. I'll add some pictures of that too later.

So here are the parts that have been delivered... Finally getting to see new bits and getting a lot more excited about the build!..

Roll Cage - Will be good as a base.. just need to add extra door bars, roof bar, dash bar, full rear cross and harness bars etc...

35515813950_00622f3f81_c.jpg

OMP Champ R seats... soooo comfortable

35063856214_ca18be9623_c.jpg

The rest of the OMP order.. Love the suede Corsica Wheel and 5 point harnesses

35515814930_bd0bffca0b_c.jpg

Lemforder lower ball joints, track rod ends and tie rods bought from EuroCarParts (had a sale on 33% off)

35063857104_de71bd2864_c.jpg

OEM Rear Calipers, pads and hub nuts from Renault Wolverhampton .. Also Goodridge Flexi's Lines

35515816180_758b32033d_c.jpg

Last edited:

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Going on hoilday next week for a week too so won't be doing much else until I return! .. Next job is to fit the cage and fabricate the various additional bars, gussets and strengthening plates etc!.. I shall update you all on progress when I return...

I shall leave you with a few pics of us working on the 172 rally car in the service area (quick pad change, and repaired a split rear disc) ...

35981452702_b4d42da40f_c.jpg

35309807214_d2283a6781_c.jpg

36149189135_75336b0280_c.jpg

35309807194_f38ac0a4cc_c.jpg

Last edited:

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Great build thread :)

Thanks!.. I'm hoping that it will be as extensive as yours.. How are you getting on in the Tricolore Trophy? Looks like quite an open championship.

Yeah man I know how it is haha! Especially seeing as tho you can't tinker with the iFour11! Must be hard for you! I'm still out of work sadly still do the odd weekend with Optimum but the money is nothing special so my "build" has slowed down haven't even updated my thread for a while not that I have the interest like this does already! Don't be afraid of the grinder it's what the people want! Everybody is scared to use it so they love seeing other people do the blades! Haha!

ps you need to get me a job haha! X

I've heard all the rumours about the i4-11 potentially being hung on the wall on display, shame they don't want to get it running again!.. I didn't realise you were out of work mate!, that sucks, I'll keep an eye out at work for anything that pops up... I thought you had links to Ginetta through Dave?...

I gave the people what they wanted yesterday, grinder was flat chat most of the evening modifying the roll cage.. need to make some bosses at work and order some more tubing to complete it though!... lots more work to do this weekend... You guys all set for Silverstone next weekend?

CLIO 182
I've heard all the rumours about the i4-11 potentially being hung on the wall on display, shame they don't want to get it running again!.. I didn't realise you were out of work mate!, that sucks, I'll keep an eye out at work for anything that pops up... I thought you had links to Ginetta through Dave?...

I gave the people what they wanted yesterday, grinder was flat chat most of the evening modifying the roll cage.. need to make some bosses at work and order some more tubing to complete it though!... lots more work to do this weekend... You guys all set for Silverstone next weekend?

Even worse than that mate it was left outside in the rain for open day! They just don't give a s**t! Still the best car built in my eyes

im kinda part time buddy whilst doing FS mate still working at Optimum Motorsprt and pfffht Ginetta through Dave!??? I have my own links with them through Optimum, they even called me up offering me a full time Grad job becuase of the work ive done with Optimum but I turned it down because the salary was insulting! Plus when I worked there at Ginetta through winter, its just not for me!

im in for my MEng in September so the CV will be getting polished up in the mean time and shall be heading your way mate!

Sounds great buddy! Wish I had the resources at my place for fabrication but we've got sod all pretty lucky we've got a flat patch and a bench vice! Haha

And all is looking good for silverstone mate!! Just sorting out some teething issues but we've actually had some reasonable amount of testing to dial these out which is decent! Some good work come from the team!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

Hi Everyone!... Been a little quiet over the last few months, been mega busy at work finishing off a project.. still been doing a few 'homers' after hours though and finally have some time to show off what I've been up too.

As I had to wait for some additional roll cage tubing to be delivered from Custom Cages (who did me a pretty good deal on the tubing I needed) I started working on refurbishing the suspension components. As you can see from previous pictures in the thread the suspension was pretty rusty! (as you can expect from a 100K+ car)

I decided I would tackle the brake calipers first and bring them back to their former glory.

I took them straight to work and threw them in the sand blaster.. A good 6 hours later and you can see the results for yourselves below (before & after):

20140730_191443_zpsd1b51be0.jpg

20140731_191920_zps4f96fe85.jpg

20140801_175104_zps8a95de55.jpg

I then popped the pistons out of the calipers (placed a block of wood in place of the pads, ensured the bleed nipples were closed, and put pressure on the back face of the piston using the airline)
The pistons had high levels of corrosion on the inner bore, however the outer surface was in pretty good condition and only needed a polish up to remove dirt and grease..

Most of the corrosion was removed with the sandblaster (ensuring the outer surface was thoroughly masked off)
I then placed the pistons in the manual lathe and removed the rest of the corrosion.

As you can see from the last picture they came out pretty good.......

20140804_180445_zps5b84b0c9.jpg

20140804_181730_zps6732ba91.jpg

20140804_192301_zps2afd4c30.jpg

Next task was to strip the rear calipers down and check out the internal mechanism.

I found that the handbrake lever mechanism had pretty much seized up, which would affect the returning of the pistons away from the disc.. I eventually managed to press the caliper studs out of their respective sleeves and belleville washers!

I then polished the studs and re machined the sleeves to remove the corrosion and ensure a proper fit was achieved.
The next step (to ensure the parts are protected from future corrosion) was to 'blacken' them. I utilised the blackening tanks we have at work for this purpose. (the blackening process deposits a copper selenium compound onto the parent material (must be ferrous, Stainless, Zinc, or Copper) and is then soaked in oil which gives it its corrosion resistance)....

20140805_201337_zps24b7c86e.jpg

20140805_204019_zps5758ed45.jpg

20140806_112322_zps95893f44.jpg

20140806_124205_LLS_zpsfb307b37.jpg

I then turned my attention back to the caliper bodies... I went and bought some Hammerite Kurust to convert the remnants of rust (that the sand blaster didn't remove) into a clean surface, ready for paint..

I left the Kurust to work over night (it says top coat can be applied after 3 hrs)

The rear caliper bodies I rubbed down with sandpaper and filed out all the tooling marks from the casting process (my OCD side coming out :rasp: )

Once all the parts were prepped and degreased ready for paint I hung them in the spray booth at work. I chose to paint them in a XHT (extremely high temp) paint... this was because I wanted a high temp paint but didn't want just a plain silver or black, and this XHT came in a graphite grey... it is made by E-Tech and was about £6.99 a can

3 coats of paint and 1 hour at 72deg to bake in the booth later and they were all finished and looking pretty good.....

20140811_195823_zps1920ba6c.jpg

20140811_200901_zps7bc497fd.jpg

20140811_204906_zpsd149719b.jpg

20140811_132447_zps8db0ffe1.jpg

20140812_180616_zpsaebc36e1.jpg

20140812_184307_zps9a94c8a3.jpg

20140813_131824_zps56c3f12f.jpg

All that was left to do now was to try and remember how they all went back together (luckily I'd taken lots of picture to jog my memory)
I cleaned up all the dust seals and bought new 12.9 grade cap head bolts to replace the original hex head bolts....

The calipers went back together pretty smoothly. I ensured that the sliders were properly rubber greased up and moving freely, the piston seals were pre soaked in brake fluid for 20mins prior to fitting the pistons (which were lubed up with brake fluid too).. All the handbrake mechanism was fully lubricated with ample amounts of copper slip, and dust covers secured with proper cable ties...

I am just waiting on some bolts I have ordered for the rear calipers, to attach the pad retaining plate to the main body (the bolts are a fine pitch)...........

20140813_181654_zps806c1f20.jpg

20140813_192014_zpsfba4bdde.jpg

20140813_192630_zps6442e59f.jpg

20140819_203726_zps1663df8a.jpg

20140819_203754_zpsbb5954f8.jpg

I am pretty happy with how they turned out!! :D ... Next stop Uprights, hubs and wishbones!... watch this space!...............

CLIO 182
You b*****d!!! Looking fricking sweet dude! Nothing more satisfying than having good quality facilities to utilise I bet mate?! Jealous!

Clio 172 (CUP)
Nice job, having recently done mine I can now appreciate how much of a bonus it is having access to those type of facilities. Your write-up is potentially a guide, considered submitting?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
You b*****d!!! Looking fricking sweet dude! Nothing more satisfying than having good quality facilities to utilise I bet mate?! Jealous!
Cheers Ant!.. yeah its pretty handy.. being able to use the lathe and sand blaster has been a godsend!.. once its all done you'll have to pop over and we'll have to do Donington or something!

They look amazing.
Cheers Mate, Its all worth it in the end when you get to see the end result!

Nice job, having recently done mine I can now appreciate how much of a bonus it is having access to those type of facilities. Your write-up is potentially a guide, considered submitting?
Hi, yeah I can imagine, I wouldn't have liked to even attempt the refurb if I didn't have a sandbalster! (I suppose a wire wheel on a grinder would do a good job too, but it would be hard to get into all the tight corners!) ... I didn't realise there was a section for guides??.. If it would be helpful to people I might write up something in more detail?...

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Great build thread already! Subscribed
C:\Users\SCOTT~1.THO\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
Thanks!, hope your enjoying it, never done a thread before but thought I would on the Clio

Nice work. Loving the attention to detail.
Cheers, all these comments really are motivating to crack on and get more done!

Nice to see the attention to detail, is it purely for track days or are you gonna do any kind of competition with it? Can't persuade you to join us in the Tricolore?
russ
Hi Mate, Thanks, I had a previous comment from sonny172cup (who I saw races in the Tricolore too) .. That prompted me to have a read about it!, looks like a good fun and open championship.. Is it well priced?, are the grids big?... It's something I would potentially think about in the future.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Its a good championship mate, very well priced IMO £315 for a double header with quali. Grids are getting bigger now and its a great place for beginners , everyone is friendly and very helpful. It gives you a direction to go with the car if you're building it for a certain purpose I find. Have a look at my build thread HERE for for info on the car and series with old race reports etc. also mini182 that posted above races in the series after some arm twisting, his plan was to race next year but I'm pretty sure he's happy he's out there now.
Next races are 20th September at Cadwell then 4th October at oulton. If you haven't already have a look on the website www.trackattackraceclub.com
Russ

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Its a good championship mate, very well priced IMO £315 for a double header with quali.

Hey, had a quick look on the website, looks pretty interesting.. something for next year potentially.. I'll have to come to a round a see what its all about!..
Ah I had a brief look at your thread a while ago, had another look this eve, car looks really good! mega job on it!!!!.. I also noticed you bought a lot of bits off Chrispy Chris!... he's one of my best mates (went to uni together) :cool: Glad his bits went to a good home lol..

Epic thread so far!

Cheers , just doing another update now

Tricolore Trophy.
C:\Users\SCOTT~1.THO\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

Beginning to think this Tricolore series is going to be an inevitable part of the clios future haha!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

Next on the list was sorting out the front uprights and hubs!, These were in such a state!..

20140814_194641_zpse1afe736.jpg

Normal refurbing procedures were resumed.... I sandblasted the complete units to remove the outer corrosion.. I wasn't worried about getting sand in the bearings as I was going to replace them (It also helped doing it as a complete assy as I didn't need to mask off the bearing surfaces.)

I then pressed out the hub from the back face. To press the bearing out of the upright I turned down some aluminium bar and made some press tools (made life so easy)... The tall sleeve was placed under the upright and then the disc was placed on top and the bearing pressed out. (I machined a return flange in the sleeve to catch the bearing when it was pressed out too, don't want any smashed tiles on the workshop floor!)

The Wheel speed sensors were an absolute pain to remove!, really seized in!.. I tried everything to get them out!. In the end I found the easiest method was to use a blow torch and put a lot of heat into them and hit them out with a punch and hammer.. (I don't intend to run ESP or TC so didn't need them anyway)

20140815_171944_zpsad66bbbb.jpg

20140815_172020_zpsb47afe92.jpg

20140815_171853_zps35cea12f.jpg

As per the calipers I then applied a coating of Kurust and left over night to react with the remaining rust.. I then waited for my bearings to arrive... I took advantage of the Euro Car parts Summer discount and managed to get a pair of SNR bearings for £34 each!! normally around £50

20140815_194427_zps8331cebb.jpg

20140815_203208_zps28791fb3.jpg

While I waited for the bearings to arrive I skimmed the hubs down to remove all the rust and sanded them down ready for paint.. I applied a thin layer of the XHT paint I used on the calipers (just to prevent any surface rust forming).

I also masked off and prepped the uprights for paint. I dipped them in a tank of 'Kephos' we have at work (Kephos is a phosphate painted coating which has really good chemical resistance, so really go for components that may come into contact with oils and brake fluid... it also can withstand temps up to 230deg so useful for race car suspension components, especially around the brakes)

A few days later and the bearings arrived, so I pressed them into the uprights (using the tools I'd made and then clipped in the retaining rings and pressed in the hubs from the front face.... They came out really nice!.......

20140820_105810_zps0c233852.jpg

20140820_195037_zps9955afe6.jpg

20140821_125812_zpsfc045367.jpg

Picture1_zps9e73b1c5.png

Next up were the wishbones!!!....