ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

UPDATE: Melting Steering Wheel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  182 - conneries de c
The more people who bring this to Renault's attention the better I think. Like the bonnet catch issue, the more pressure that can be put on them the more chance we have of getting Renault to accept there is a problem.

We need as many people to visit a dealership and show them their steering wheels as my experience showed that Renault Customer Services was using the "experience" of the dealership to advise whether it was a warranty problem or not!

I'm happy to go with any one to Crossroads in Oxford or Jaybe in Banbury :O)

clio 182
The more people who bring this to Renault's attention the better I think. Like the bonnet catch issue, the more pressure that can be put on them the more chance we have of getting Renault to accept there is a problem.

We need as many people to visit a dealership and show them their steering wheels as my experience showed that Renault Customer Services was using the "experience" of the dealership to advise whether it was a warranty problem or not!

I took mine to the stealer i bought my car from and they said it was because of hand cream!! Don't even use it! Went to Renault Uk who sent me £50 towards a new wheel but it took weeks to even get that.

Bux

Golf GTD

Do I sense a clio meet? Have a meet and then get everyone to go into the dealership and complain haha

Bumder With A Buffer
Rather than saying "add me to the list please" why not add yourself as per the instructions??!! And email as well???

And dont quote the whole f**king list :mad:

Rather than saying "add me to the list please" why not add yourself as per the instructions??!! And email as well???

And dont quote the whole f**king list :mad:

Might be useful to put the instructions you refer to at start of this thread because all I managed to find was Adam's posts about information he would like emailed to him. Maybe there is a complete up-to-date list somewhere here but I haven't found it - so my assumption was that Adam was keeping a complete list.
Can understand you might be a bit frustrated if people aren't adding themselves correctly, but IMHO danger is that your post might intimidate any newcomers rather than encouraging them to add their weight to this problem.

Titanium 182
The glue under my right thumbgrip has melted I think, it feels like there is air underneath it :S its kinda "spongy"

How do I take it off to reglue ? :(

Edit: I have mailed you with my details, cheers.

Last edited:
  RenaultSport clio 182
:(I have a Clio Sport 182 and mine started at about 35,000 - 40,000, I rang Renault as I didn't realise that others were having this problem and asked how much for a new wheel and they want £200 and then fitting on top!

Clio 182 with cup kits
Why doesn't someone contact BBC's Watch Dog for some real weight behind this problem? Howmany thousands of other people must be affected by this that aren't in ClioSport? Shouldalso join forces with other clubs too!

Clio 182
Just come across this thread, i've got an (04) 182 with 41k on clock. Steering wheel starting falling apart about 2 years ago, was on around 25k. Top of wheel melted and right thumb grip split with a chunk missing. Will email details over.

I emailed watchdog about a year ago but never heard anything back. Maybe if everyone emailed them they would investigate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

182 - conneries de c
I too have emailed Watchdog regarding the melting steering wheel issue in February.

Haven't heard anything from them.........

Clio 182 with cup kits
yeah, it's clear looking at this site that they store up all emails on different subjects and when there's one subject that enough people have complained about they investigate. Def let's all do it!

Alibi Blue 200
Hi Guys first post here, go easy on me :D

55 Plate, 182, 28K, Started to melt on top right of wheel

Not got a car
Theres hundreds of names, why dont we all meet at Renaults UK Head office?

Rivers Office Park
Maple Cross
Rickmansworth
Hertfordshire
WD3 9YS
Tel. 01923 895000

?
195. afroahmed (2001 plate RSI... melted edges of wheel)

^Thats me. I have since changed my username as you can see.

It's A Reno
While Davis from RUK is kicking about the forum, surely this is an opportunity to discuss this with Reno and see what the chances of a resolution are and who we need to talk to.

Anyone fancy taking the helm?

It's A Reno
While Davis from RUK is kicking about the forum, surely this is an opportunity to discuss this with Reno and see what the chances of a resolution are and who we need to talk to.

Anyone fancy taking the helm?

I take it that's a no then. :(

I'll PM David from RUK tomorrow, see what I can learn, who we should be talking to and what are our chances.

Who has been involved in pushing this previously so I can get in touch with them a find out what they know?

PH-Lamer 1.4 16v
Right, sorry for the late update, I have been following up this despite what people have been saying:nono:
So far 94 of you have emailed me your details, everytime i get an email i add you onto the list and it gets sent to renault uk aftersales service and i will continue to do this until we get a result.
In the most recent conversation i had with a representative they assured me they take all complaints are taken seriously but this has attracted 'particular attention' due to the number of complaints. However they do stress that the vast majority of the cars listed are over 5 years old and even with the best quality materials, wear and tear is expected. He was very honest with myself and said in his opinion this is going to go nowhere, the view they take is if it isnt a danger or doesnt stop the car operating as it should then it isnt a priority for them to get it resolved. i got the impression he was trying to say, 'the steering wheel is still round and turns the wheels so stfu' :dapprove:

I will keep pressing though. Thanks for your patience.

It's A Reno
I've been having a think about this (sorry) and all the cars that I've had before have had steering wheels in the same conditon when they left my possession as when they entered it.
I have never considered the steering wheel as a consumeable or abradable item, and is as much a safety item as the brakes, air bag or seat belts.
The tyres on a car have blocks to tell us when they need renewing. Brake discs and pads have sizes at which they require renewal.
What tells a guy with a steering wheel that is falling to bits that it is time to change it?
The Sale Of Goods Act talks of items beng fit for purpose, but also aspects of quality including fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.
Considering that some people have had problems after 3-4 years, that doesn't seem very durable to me.

The act also says goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.
Considering a new steering wheel is £400+, I'd expect more than 3-4 years of service.

The bottom line is that the act says that an item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, and in the case of a steering wheel, in my opinion, 3, 4 or 5 years isn't reasonable.

Sorry for going on.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Right, sorry for the late update, I have been following up this despite what people have been saying:nono:
So far 94 of you have emailed me your details, everytime i get an email i add you onto the list and it gets sent to renault uk aftersales service and i will continue to do this until we get a result.
In the most recent conversation i had with a representative they assured me they take all complaints are taken seriously but this has attracted 'particular attention' due to the number of complaints. However they do stress that the vast majority of the cars listed are over 5 years old and even with the best quality materials, wear and tear is expected. He was very honest with myself and said in his opinion this is going to go nowhere, the view they take is if it isnt a danger or doesnt stop the car operating as it should then it isnt a priority for them to get it resolved. i got the impression he was trying to say, 'the steering wheel is still round and turns the wheels so stfu' :dapprove:

I will keep pressing though. Thanks for your patience.

This seems totally acceptable to me. Everything he said is right, it's just something you have to accept

PH-Lamer 1.4 16v
Marby, i completely see your point. But if there is no proof of accidents caused by a melted steering wheel then renault are not going to accept that its a danger.
You could say the same with anything though, it could very well be down to wear and tear. I expect half the people on the list accept this, i dont myself, but it does seem to be the general view at renault.

It's A Reno
Marby, i completely see your point. But if there is no proof of accidents caused by a melted steering wheel then renault are not going to accept that its a danger.
You could say the same with anything though, it could very well be down to wear and tear. I expect half the people on the list accept this, i dont myself, but it does seem to be the general view at renault.

Yeah, I know, I was just venting. I think most people realise that Reno will do anything to avoid this issue becoming their responsibilty because the costs involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.