ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E92 335i

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Yup, and that they make the best (most complicated) diesel engines, which are often bought for the wrong reasons. IE miss daisy buying a 120d to go 3 miles each way to work, then complaining about DPF problems..

That said the dealers should take care of preventing that, but I presume they make too much money to care?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
My point being is BMW can't be seen to have an unreliable German car... hence they get s**t fixed quickly. The chap I know has to authorise hundreds of thousands of pounds of warranty every year and he's been shocked at the BMW side of things.

LandRover probably have slightly less claims in his opinion but they're always fortunes.

VWs aren't exactly great these days either. My cousins Polo was probably the most unreliable car i've ever come across in our family.

Nice to have it back today. The rattle is obviously still there, but it's quieter than the sound of a diesel.

Booked in for the 3 day (10hour) job end of May. Getting a couple of other niggles sorted at the same time too.

8698556408_390ccee0c5_b.png

8698557380_b460f1ae3d_b.jpg

BMWs are very well engineered and made from quality materials, but the execution sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. Mostly it's at production level. They are not especially well nailed together.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Does the 3 series use the same 6 pots I have on the 135?

my discs were low so I bought the BMWP discs all round for 450 delivered. Grooved and drilled all round and 338mm fronts and 324mm rears look pretty speciall

TTRS & V50
Soooo nice. Can't believe you let BMW tell you it needed new discs and pads all round and then gave them the go ahead, I thought this was a car enthusiast forum, lol.

Glad CS could save you a few quid and you saved it in time however.

Leon Cupra 300
335i and 335d use different brakes to the rest of the range.. They're supposedly better than the BMWP brake kit you can get.

Basically if you had a 330d you'd be better off putting 335 brakes on rather than the BMWP ones.. Although they don't look half as good.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
335i and 335d use different brakes to the rest of the range.. They're supposedly better than the BMWP brake kit you can get.

Basically if you had a 330d you'd be better off putting 335 brakes on rather than the BMWP ones.. Although they don't look half as good.

But are they the same as the 135i ones as mine are same spec as 1m now afaik

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
I worked on a 335i, no f**king dipstick, what were BMW thinking. f**king stupid idea, makes doing an oil change really difficult.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I worked on a 335i, no f**king dipstick, what were BMW thinking. f**king stupid idea, makes doing an oil change really difficult.

Audis are going the same way. Relying on electronics telling you isn't clever imo.

Audis are going the same way. Relying on electronics telling you isn't clever imo.

The first time the iDrive mentioned low oil, I spent 15minutes trying to find it.

I wish mine looked that good :(

We can swap lights if you're not happy ;)

There's only 3 things that are different on mine (wheels, spoiler, kidney inserts), easy enough to do. I prefer the newer lights.

Z4
What's the crack with the bmw warranty CJ?
I assume they need to be full bmw service history, is there an inspection pre contract? Ie what's to stop someone's turbos going pop, then joining afterwards?

Leon Cupra 300
Doesn't have to be complete BMW history at a BMW dealer but it needs to be done as required on the condition based servicing and using genuine BMW parts.

No inspection required. You take the policy out and make the first payment but it doesn't commence for a month after that which is to get around people joining up after something goes pop.. I suppose you could simply not use the car for a month etc but I'd guess codes will be recorded that you're not able to clear somewhere deep in.

Leon Cupra 300
Also. It states no modifications at all... Could argue that his being on non standard wheels is a mod but it wouldn't affect the turbos etc anyway.. It depends on the dealer as they put the claim into the insurance policy.

If you're after remapping forget the warranty. I'm in 2 minds, I'm tempted to sack the warranty off for 350hp 550lbft

Snotter's
Doesn't have to be complete BMW history at a BMW dealer but it needs to be done as required on the condition based servicing and using genuine BMW parts.

No inspection required. You take the policy out and make the first payment but it doesn't commence for a month after that which is to get around people joining up after something goes pop.. I suppose you could simply not use the car for a month etc but I'd guess codes will be recorded that you're not able to clear somewhere deep in.

Almost accurate, doesnt need to be BMW parts however the intervals need to be bang on which is generally 2 years or 19k.

Some mods you will get away with its just luck of the draw, i have actually sold AUC cars with re-maps but its also gone the other way where its flagged up and we cannot retail the car.

What's the crack with the bmw warranty CJ?
I assume they need to be full bmw service history, is there an inspection pre contract? Ie what's to stop someone's turbos going pop, then joining afterwards?

As the others say, needs to be serviced at the correct intervals, but it doesn't need to be at BMW.

I pay £56pm for it, which is comprehensive with £100 excess per claim (this current claim is for 3 things (wastegate, HPFP, seatbelt motor).

I'm aware a remap would probably void any claim, but the dealer has seen my car, and the only 'mods' are alloys and a spoiler, I doubt that would have any issue on claims (they've not mentioned it to me either).

Car is booked in next Tue, Wed, Thur for the work. Fingers crossed I get everything done on time.

Leon Cupra 300
Almost accurate, doesnt need to be BMW parts however the intervals need to be bang on which is generally 2 years or 19k.

Some mods you will get away with its just luck of the draw, i have actually sold AUC cars with re-maps but its also gone the other way where its flagged up and we cannot retail the car.

oh right... Ill double check the booklet but I thought I was certain that it said you had to use BMW service parts etc but it just didn't need doing at a dealer.

Which dealer do you work at as you're local?

Also. It states no modifications at all... Could argue that his being on non standard wheels is a mod but it wouldn't affect the turbos etc anyway.. It depends on the dealer as they put the claim into the insurance policy.

If you're after remapping forget the warranty. I'm in 2 minds, I'm tempted to sack the warranty off for 350hp 550lbft

Surely you mean Nm?

Z4

I'd imagine its mileage dependant too? Service intervals are usually just when the OBC tells you too iirc, depends how its driven.

So it doesn't matter if its not had the waranty since new then? I got the impression it had to follow on, so if there's a break in the waranty its over.

Juicebox mods are all removable right? Tempting to map and if something goes wrong remove it.

Bang on. God damn I'm properly jealous of this motor.

Same. You can see where this is going, can't you.

My only gripe with the 335i is the tax now, with a fully comprehensive waranty reliability isn't an issue. Tax is all over the place, its hard to find a definitive answer!

Leon Cupra 300
Surely you mean Nm?

Definitely pounds feet. 428lbft/580nm standard, 550lbft/745nm mapped.. That's playing it safe as the gearbox is 'only' rated to 720nm. 600lbft is easily possible with no other mods but IMO it's asking for trouble.

It is a diesel, though.

Leon Cupra 300
Juicebox mods are all removable right? Tempting to map and if something goes wrong remove it.

I thought about this and it's been discussed elsewhere before with no definite answer that I could find.

You can remove the box but... the turbo's have been boosting a lot harder and it's been fuelling a lot heavier than standard etc etc.. What's to say these values (over and above a standard car) are not saved into the ECU and will flag up as soon as it's plugged in? Whether or not the box is present at the time? It would be quite obvious what's gone on...

Not sure it's worth the risk. Be nice to know a proper answer. They're also not lacking in power standard.

My only gripe with the 335i is the tax now, with a fully comprehensive waranty reliability isn't an issue. Tax is all over the place, its hard to find a definitive answer!

From my understanding, 06 - 07 is £475 (mine is), and 07 onwards is £280 per year.

Bit crap, but gives you an idea of standard sound. I need to take it out for a proper clip.

[video=youtube_share;ZYbWe2kLtfE]http://youtu.be/ZYbWe2kLtfE[/video]

Following on from this video, I forgot I had recorded another the first night I picked it up.

It's not a great video, and I really want to take my camera out and get some drive-by/acceleration ones.

Sounds nicer IRL, but gives an idea on the sound from stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely pounds feet. 428lbft/580nm standard, 550lbft/745nm mapped.. That's playing it safe as the gearbox is 'only' rated to 720nm. 600lbft is easily possible with no other mods but IMO it's asking for trouble.

It is a diesel, though.

Oh sorry. I didn't realise. Thought you were talking about the 335i :eek:

Snotter's
oh right... Ill double check the booklet but I thought I was certain that it said you had to use BMW service parts etc but it just didn't need doing at a dealer.

Which dealer do you work at as you're local?

Stratstone Leeds and i was at Harrogate BMW for 2 years prior.

Not a 320d
Dat Ass. Two exhausts make it look so much better

Assuming you did the golf tee mod?

The 335i exhaust is filth. I remember it well. Pops and bangs. Sounds sick.

Do you find the handling to be a bit sloppy? Dont want to lower mine. Was thinking of H&R ARB's as theyre not overly expensive... Seems to grip well at speed even with run flats but the body roll is so un nerving coming from a Clio on Coilovers.