ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E92 335i

E46 320CD
Unrelated question but what level of BMW warranty do you have? Also, do you have the BMW roadside breakdown service? I'm going to put one on my wife's 320D after seeing the service you've received from it - although it's unfortunate you've had to use it as much as you have!

Lovely car, such a shame you've had the problems you have. Have you a Friday afternoon car? or are they known to have as many issues as you've had?

Unrelated question but what level of BMW warranty do you have? Also, do you have the BMW roadside breakdown service? I'm going to put one on my wife's 320D after seeing the service you've received from it - although it's unfortunate you've had to use it as much as you have!

Lovely car, such a shame you've had the problems you have. Have you a Friday afternoon car? or are they known to have as many issues as you've had?

I've got the comprehensive cover, mine is £56pm plus £100 excess per claim. So everything is covered.

I don't have the breakdown cover, but I think if the car is un-drivable and not at home, they'll attend. But they won't give me a courtesy car (only the dealer can do that at goodwill).

I'd read the 335 N54s were unreliable before I bought it. So, although I've been unlucky, I was kind of expecting it (I've never paid for a warranty before, but I knew I needed one for this).

Everyone tells me to sell it. It's comically unreliable and costs me a fortune to run. But I still enjoy it, even though I'm going to spend the next 2/3 weeks either driving my wife's car or arranging lifts to work until my booking date (10th Nov). I'm mad.

Last edited:
Typical. They've been out and charged the battery. It now starts with no noise at all.

So they won't take it away, as there's no fault. Fingers crossed it starts tonight.

I now have two cars at work LOL.

Wife just got dropped off at my work, to collect my car. It won't unlock/start. FML.

BMW are sending a recovery truck now.

Great start to the weekend.

21785699514_2365e7832d_b.jpg

22221617949_309dc2be1e_b.jpg

I would have an M3 but would want an E92, which I can't afford at the moment 😧

On the plus side (except the wastegates) all my warranty claims/issues are new ones, not recurring. So at this rate the whole car will be brand new.

Z4
Sorry I did mean the e92!

I'd like one too but they're commanding a high price still aren't they...
Compared to when I had my last M3, it was a mint 2004 from a dealership in 2010 for 13k. Try finding a mint 6 year old e92 for a similar price!

BMW have just confirmed it's the coolant pump and wiring, plus the low pressure pump (fuel?) at fault.

As the wiring was faulty, it's caused the pump to continuously run, draining the battery within hours. I think the LPFP is due to hesitation under low RPMs, so not directly linked.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
BMW have just confirmed it's the coolant pump and wiring, plus the low pressure pump (fuel?) at fault.

As the wiring was faulty, it's caused the pump to continuously run, draining the battery within hours. I think the LPFP is due to hesitation under low RPMs, so not directly linked.
I bet you're sick of the £100 warranty excesses by now?

Has any of this been worked on before under warranty? If so I'd be trying to swerve that £100!

I bet you're sick of the £100 warranty excesses by now?

Has any of this been worked on before under warranty? If so I'd be trying to swerve that £100!

Apart from the turbo replacements last year (that were replaced 2/3 times), nothing else is a reoccurring. So I guess for a 7 year old car approaching 100k miles, things are going to break once. I obviously only update this thread with the bad news, but 99% of the time it's fine.

The warranty is costing me around £8/900 a year (£56pm + 1-2 claims per year). So I'm definitely getting my moneys worth in work carried out.

A local indi quoted me £995 for my AC pump this year, turned out to be covered under warranty, so cost me £100 excess, paid for itself.

It's not cheap to run. I don't know how it compares to an M3 (probably half?), but £900 warranty, £470 tax, ~£700-£1200 for tyres (depending on brand) and the 24mpg average I get, it makes we wonder if it's worth it.

But then I take it out, and I forget all of that.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
It's not cheap to run. I don't know how it compares to an M3 (probably half?), but £900 warranty, £470 tax, ~£700-£1200 for tyres (depending on brand) and the 24mpg average I get, it makes we wonder if it's worth it.

When i was looking at e92 M3's, if i bought under 60k miles, fully comp warranty was circa £85 a month, then £500 a year tax, then similar cost for tyres as your 335i. Fuel in the M3, if you're getting 24 out of the 335i, you'd be on high teens in the M3. Essentially running costs wise, id say they're probably quite similar, with the M3 being less fragile, cost far more to buy though!!

Cookie, BMW warranty for ours is about £2.5k a year lol. Mine was apparently on it from new (2003) until 2013. ££££££'s.

Reactions: C.J
The warranty I was offered (from Warranty Direct IIRC) was north of a grand a year. What size are the tyres on the 335?
265/30/19 and 235/35/19. Replaced them all this year from RFT to Eagle F1s.

I really really want a JB4, but each time I have a claim if have to take it out, and risk voiding the warranty.

Leon Cupra 300
Unlucky, as nice as more power would be there will be a strong market for a warrantied standard car when you come to sell..

If you want faster buy an M3 etc.

I hear you re running costs, mine's (touch wood) been reliable. but £505 tax, mpg between 17 and 23 do make you think.. Then I start it up and hear the V8 and I'm in love all over again! Only good thing on mine for consumables is the square set up of 245/40/18's the tyres are super cheap.

Supposed to have it back yesterday, but it's been delayed 2-4 weeks!

Just got a call to say the turbos are missing an intake pipe heat shield?! The part is on back order from Germany :(

What is this shield? Why isn't it there? Was it missed when they replaced my turbos 10k miles ago?

Awaiting a call regarding a courtesy car, as I've not had one for 8 days.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Supposed to have it back yesterday, but it's been delayed 2-4 weeks!

Just got a call to say the turbos are missing an intake pipe heat shield?! The part is on back order from Germany 😧

What is this shield? Why isn't it there? Was it missed when they replaced my turbos 10k miles ago?

Awaiting a call regarding a courtesy car, as I've not had one for 8 days.
Stops the exhaust manifold melting the intake pipe form the airbox. It should be there. Perfectly usable without it though. Part 30 on this image.

GetGraphic.jpg

Stops the exhaust manifold melting the intake pipe form the airbox. It should be there. Perfectly usable without it though. Part 30 on this image.

Thanks for that, that's really useful!

They've confirmed to me that the intake pipe has infact melted, so they need to fit a new pipe too.

Driving this 320d for 2-4 weeks now. It's quite nice actually. Whether I could own one over a 7 year old 335i I don't know, but it's a nice place to be.
22720397206_44ff0b1fe1_b.png

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
@C.J Keep me updated one how you get on with the 320d. I need a normal car for commuting soon and may get a 120d/320d.

Melted and split or just melted? Could have been sucking in unfiltered air.
They've just said 'melted' to me.
You know what it's like, they're never going to be 100% honest with me, so I've no idea what's going on. They've admitted it though (they could have blamed me I guess), so that's a good start.

It seemed to be running fine though, can only hope it comes back even better (unless they forget to fit the turbos).

Part arrived yesterday, fitted today, back on my drive tonight.

They replaced:

Low pressure fuel sensor.
Water pump.
Water pump wiring.
Intake pipe.
Intake pipe shield.

They'll send me a breakdown of the work next week, but I'm guessing a good £1.5k(?) at BMW rates.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Part arrived yesterday, fitted today, back on my drive tonight.

They replaced:

Low pressure fuel sensor.
Water pump.
Water pump wiring.
Induction pipe and shield.

They'll send me a breakdown of the work next week, but I'm guessing a good £1.5k(?) at BMW rates.
Holy fecking shite. I bet you have that warranty certificate framed on the wall?

Holy fecking shite. I bet you have that warranty certificate framed on the wall?
Hah, that's not a patch on my first claim (turbos, fuel pump, coils, plugs). Then turbos replaced again under the same claim.

But yeh, it's life saver.

Mrs filmed the above while I was driving home tonight. Apart from the obvious issues I've had, it's still going strong. I said I'd sell it before 100k (as you can't transfer warranty after it), looks like I'm keeping it.

For the price, I still can't find anything of similar age/power/luxuries as this.

335i touring
What tyres are you running on the 260's? I've got them on my touring running 245/40/18 all round. Got some winters in the original sizes but not sure if they will fit or not.