ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
This is coming along nicely Tom. I'd hold out for the AST's. After driving mine at Oulton I couldn't find a fault with them, and the roll centre hubs with help even more.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well the drive shaft and track rod issues are sorted with help from NorthloopCup Chip-mk1 and Carbonraider .

For the track rods I had some longer adapters made.
IMAG1618.jpg

And I've fitted a set of new genuine ph2 172 shafts which are 20mm longer each side than the ph1 shafts. For the o/s I went for the two piece shaft and sourced a used bearing carrier.
IMAG1620.jpg

Still waiting on the ASTs though...

Well the drive shaft and track rod issues are sorted with help from @NorthloopCup @Chip-mk1 and @Carbonraider .

For the track rods I had some longer adapters made.
IMAG1618.jpg

And I've fitted a set of new genuine ph2 172 shafts which are 20mm longer each side than the ph1 shafts. For the o/s I went for the two piece shaft and sourced a used bearing carrier.
IMAG1620.jpg

Still waiting on the ASTs though...

Looks good that. Need to do mine.

Would you do me a favour please? And measure the length of the track rod if you could. The entire thing, and just thread down please. My lemforder items still seem a little short.

Cheers

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good that. Need to do mine.

Would you do me a favour please? And measure the length of the track rod if you could. The entire thing, and just thread down please. My lemforder items still seem a little short.

Cheers

I think Morgan dud this photo. Non cup up top and cup below.

P1010151.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I took the car for its first proper drive with the roll centre kit fitted. It's good! I wrote a brief review on it here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?717989-Roll-centre-bump-steer-corrector-hubs/page36

Also had some good news yesterday, apparently my ASTs are ready so I've booked a hotel and I'm traveling down to Cheltenham to pick them up, going to squeeze in a trip to Kenilworth Castle tomorrow to take the kids to watch some jousting too. All being well I'll get the struts fitted on Sunday and take it out for a drive :race:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have to bring the shotgun out of retirement if I've been told porkies!!! :lolup:

I hope it doesn't come to that, but that's definitely the solution if so!

Great news on the ASTs mate, looking forward to seeing your reviews. :)

Tbh on the road I doubt they'll be much different to yours, I'll just have damping adjustment for track use really as they'll be on fully soft for road.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You've got Eibach springs on yours whereas mine are AST springs (same colour paint as the Cooksport springs funny enough :p so I wouldn't be surprised if the planned Cooksport coilovers have something to do with AST one way or another) so my guess would be that Eibach didn't make a suitable free length spring which is why AST have their own now so they don't need the spacer.

As for spring rates I've got 400lb front and 285lb rear. It rides spot on, couldn't be happier tbh. I've got less roll which I wanted but its road manners are the same, if not better than the Cooksport springs (it'll be down to the damper technology rather than spring rate though). Looking forward to trying it out on track now, the combination of the coilovers and the roll centre kit is unbelievable.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
:clap: Really pleased your finally back out enjoying the car again Tom. Worth the wait?

Eibach don't do a spring longer than 5" in the 1.9" diameter so Ast had to use that spacer setup. I've got something very similar on the rear of mine. I just got some nylon spacers custom made. Martin.

Cheers chaps. Mine are 450lbs all round from memory. Or maybe slightly more on the front. Can't remember what josh decided on for me when I ordered them. Need to get them fitted urgently just waiting on some bits back from my mate.

I did did wonder what this bit on mine was! Got any pictures of yours mark? NorthloopCup bet it looks better than the plastic on mine.

Is plastic actually strong enough?? Guess it must be!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
:clap: Really pleased your finally back out enjoying the car again Tom. Worth the wait?

Eibach don't do a spring longer than 5" in the 1.9" diameter so Ast had to use that spacer setup. I've got something very similar on the rear of mine. I just got some nylon spacers custom made. @Martin.

Yes they were :)

They do 10" http://www.hmsraceparts.com/Eibach-1-9-ID-10-Length-Springs/

I could go stiffer all round but it's so composed and comfy on the road whilst having minimal roll I don't know if I'd want to. Joe is running the same rates as me IIRC

You'd be surprised how strong some plastics are! Martin. Have a look at your springs. They should be something like 180-80 on the front which would be 7" free length (180mm) and 456lb (80nm) and the rear maybe 130-90 so 5" and 514lb if they are the 'track' setup.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers chaps. Mine are 450lbs all round from memory. Or maybe slightly more on the front. Can't remember what josh decided on for me when I ordered them. Need to get them fitted urgently just waiting on some bits back from my mate.

I did did wonder what this bit on mine was! Got any pictures of yours mark? @NorthloopCup bet it looks better than the plastic on mine.

Is plastic actually strong enough?? Guess it must be!
I've got some pictures mate, but I'm fucked if I can work out how to upload them off my phone via photofuckit! I need a tutorial! Lol! Yeah plastic/nylon is fine and extremely strong. It's beautiful to work with on the lathe as well! I've got nylon rear top suspension bushes and I'll be having some nylon bushes made for the dogbone as well.

Yes they were :)

They do 10" http://www.hmsraceparts.com/Eibach-1-9-ID-10-Length-Springs/

I could go stiffer all round but it's so composed and comfy on the road whilst having minimal roll I don't know if I'd want to. @Joe is running the same rates as me IIRC

You'd be surprised how strong some plastics are! @Martin. Have a look at your springs. They should be something like 180-80 on the front which would be 7" free length (180mm) and 456lb (80nm) and the rear maybe 130-90 so 5" and 514lb if they are the 'track' setup.
Ah they must be for the American market then Tom. The guys in the uk definitely don't do them as I rang to find out. Faulkeners do them now in a 10" length, but they only go up to 400lbs.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ah they must be for the American market then Tom. The guys in the uk definitely don't do them as I rang to find out. Faulkeners do them now in a 10" length, but they only go up to 400lbs.

Might be able to get some cheap from the states? Handy to know Faulkner do them if I ever want it hard in the rear...ooherr

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Might be able to get some cheap from the states? Handy to know Faulkner do them if I ever want it hard in the rear...ooherr
Flol I've just clicked on the link and seen they're a uk company!!! I thought it was the one that's in America! Fail! Interested to know why the guys at head office said that 5" was the longest they did. Unless they're motorbike front shock springs. Hmm.

Lol!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Three days after getting it all back together I had more bad luck...fresh gearbox oil down the road and on the driveway coming from the O/S gearbox seal.

So upon investigation it turns out the driveshaft end section had shifted slightly and moved closer to the seal then worn away the outer lip of the seal.

IMAG1662.jpg

IMAG1663.jpg

I couldn't knock the end piece back into place so left it where it was and ground the end down a few mm and leaving a few mm spare before reaching the splines.

New seal fitted and I've got plenty of clearance now :)

IMAG1664.jpg

Going to give it a good run later and then check again

I also adjusted the ASTs slightly, going to see how it goes before I lower it any more. Currently its 580mm from arch to floor.

IMAG1665.jpg

I sent off my application to swap my private plate over, that came through about 10 days ago so I ordered some pressed plates from Dubmeister again and got those fitted.

IMAG1675.jpg

Hopefully I'll get time tomorrow to do the rear discs as one of the rear bearings is on its way out. I ordered new Brembo items along with a pair of new rear disc spacers from g172 and I got the usual excellent service we're all accustomed too on here! Thanks George.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Not done a great deal really, been making use of it :)

Recently the ABS got ditched, got rid of the bracket too and got around to fitting my battery cut-off switch.
IMAG1747.jpg

Some minor weight saving, got rid of one horn and bent the bracket to tuck it up out of the way. Also removed the weight by the engine mount.
IMAG1750.jpg

IMAG1745.jpg

I'd decided I was going to go down to 195/50 from 205/50 R15 tyres but changed my mind again so the R888 went and I got a set of AD08R to try out, the Federal RSR still have a fair bit of life left so I'll sell those on when I take them off.
IMAG1716.jpg

IMAG1744.jpg

I kept having issues with the throttle cable sticking when the car was run for a prolonged time and got hot, I put this down to the close proximity of the manifold to the cable so I wrapped it in the heat reflective fibreglass stuff and doubled up the thickness on the bulkhead too.
IMAG1746.jpg

On Mark's recommendation NorthloopCup I fitted some Schnorr washers to the strut bolts.
IMAG1748.jpg

And then took the family out for a drive, scream if you want to go faster!
IMAG1753.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate, can't wait for Oulton on the 27th :)

I've gone and bought an arch roller to see if I can go wider on the back. The only problem is I didn't look at the delivery date...so I might not get it done before Oulton.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Interior has come back out for Oulton on the 27th, tracking has been set and I've put my spacers back on the front with the studs and nuts. It looks wide :)

With the tracking set it drives better than ever, can't wait to get it out on track and see what it can do. Gave it a wash and a polish too.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Looking good tom il make sure I get some good pictures if there is no one taking any :) you fancy renting the arch roller out I was bidding on 1 last week but didn't win :(

What spacers are you running to.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Is that blue sky and sunshine in welsh wales?!?! You told me it only rains or blows a gale!! Lol! Cars looking good tom.

It was blowing a gale!

Looking good tom il make sure I get some good pictures if there is no one taking any :) you fancy renting the arch roller out I was bidding on 1 last week but didn't win :(

What spacers are you running to.

So up front over a standard phase 1 I've got a cup subframe (+10mm each side), roll centre kit (+5mm each side), ET35 wheels (+8mm each side) and 10mm spacers. So a 66mm wider front track.

On the back I've got the ET35 wheels and 7.5mm hub spacers. But after rolling the arches I'm hoping to go 15 or 20mm spacers. So potentially 56mm wider on the back; depends how much I can pull the arches out. I'll be getting the arches repainted afterwards so not bothered it the paint cracks so hopefully I can get them out quite far.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It was blowing a gale!

So up front over a standard phase 1 I've got a cup subframe (+10mm each side), roll centre kit (+5mm each side), ET35 wheels (+8mm each side) and 10mm spacers. So a 66mm wider front track.

On the back I've got the ET35 wheels and 7.5mm hub spacers. But after rolling the arches I'm hoping to go 15 or 20mm spacers. So potentially 56mm wider on the back; depends how much I can pull the arches out. I'll be getting the arches repainted afterwards so not bothered it the paint cracks so hopefully I can get them out quite far.

Lol! Many purple rinsers out on the sea front??

The issue I have with mine is how close the rear bumper was to the tyres. They've rubbed it away a fair bit now though. The scrubbing came from the tyres touching the inside of the wheel arch about 2" up. This was due to the compression of the suspension though, so I'm hopeful that now I've upped the rates all round this won't be an issue.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Lol! They're out rain or shine, or in this case a gale.

Yeah the bumper would end up the closest part to the tyres then. Might be possible to push the part where the bumper fits out too.