ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaz.'s 1996 Mazda RX7 FD3S Efini (JDM & Rotary Content)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
What products did you use? And rotary or da?

I was amazed by mine but I need to get a better sealant and wax... I used chemical guys black light and mega gold class... Day later the car has dust and rain spots all over it :( chucking water over it helps but I want something better lol...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Fair play gaz for sticking with it.

Brakes look nice in there and the paint is a credit to you from what i saw before.

Good job.

A DA, a DAS-6 to be precise. Then used Sonus SFX1 on a Sonus Heavy Cutting pad. Topped with Poorboy's Blackhole and Poorboy's Natty Blue Paste Wax. It'll look crap after a few days outside, they always do.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That looks brilliant.

The picture in his yard is probably the first picture you've taken that actually captures the presence of the thing! Looks flipping awesome there.

Why oh why didn't you paint those brakes up before giving them to him? Nice brakes but they look a bit shoddy at current,

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
A fair point but I just thought a quick lick of paint before the full winter refurb would have had it looking better for now. :rasp:

Still looks awesome in that pic at the yard.

TBH mate they sat in a box in the garage and I didn't think about them much. Was too pre occupied with the misfiring at the time, then when that was fixed I was thinking I really need it to stop now.

LOL cheers dude. Broken cars make any working car look good!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Worded that badly, when it looks even better!!

Seriously though when you do sell drop me a pm, would love one and from reading on here you'll get it mint and working as it should.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
That's cool, I'm sure I'll still be around on here!
Think it's an itch I need to scratch at some point.

Just been towed home by the AA, oh the shame! :eek:

My plan was to go to the tip, get fuel, then get some images of it looking super slick in the sun. I got to the tip, turned it off, then turned it on. There was the squeal of belts, all the warning lights on the dash, and smoke. Alternator bearing has collapsed on me with no warning, there wasn't any squealing on the drive down to the tip bizarrely.

That's tomorrow's alignment fucked now, and I imagine the windings have caught the casing so not much point repairing that baby, new alternator time.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Sounds like me with next door ( Q. what have you broken now ) ( A. F*ck off )

Clearly not lol. My postman was laughing his **** off when I got towed back home, he regularly comes to chat whilst I'm working on them.

Alternator out in 30 minutes. Only problem is it spins quite freely, and I've bought an alternator already. Both the AA guy and I saw it not spinning when the belt was trying to drive it (under tension may I add.) Saying that, the other pulleys on that belt also spin quite well, but the water pump is a little squeaky. Not the biggest job ever again but cooling system work sucks.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Every water pump I have touched has a bit of a squeak... Is there play or rumbling in the alternator? The bearings are fairly hefty though I have had 2 die on me but that wasn't the bearings it was the resistor jobby....

I would be removing the air pump and running a shorter belt with new pulleys if you are replacing the alt...

Probably a wise call on the air pump. Just bought a new sodding belt too!

No real play, faint rumble but nothing major, which surprised me. Expected something a bit more definite, might strip it down tonight and see what state it's in.

Anybody other than DM do the air pump removal kits?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Dragon, sshould have a few left too... He does the tensioner pulley too... And the power steering etc... You will need a few block off plates if u do it all properly...

I know u had an issue with dm... But for ease i would prob call them lol... Dragon should be able to help though... If u catch Ross on a helpful day lol.

Scrap that, he's sold them. Don't really like DM's pulleys, I don't want fancy shaped ones.

Dragon's site is apparently full of malware according to google, so can't look at those!

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Cool the blue ones speed line had? They are greedy if so :) forge sell blanking plugs that you could use on the air filters...

As for the blanking plates... I think only dm sell them... Mazdarotary parts might sell them....

Or I think on rx7 club there is a set of templates for them... Would be easy enough to mark up some stainless or alloy and cut ur self or drop them to a fab place and have them cut... Or supernow do a set that is sexy :)

Yeah, but they're awaiting payment from some other dude, so that's that idea fucked.

TBH I cba making any plates up, too lazy to set up the plasma cutter at work. Not the end of the world if I leave it on anyway.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Speak to dragon dude, he might have some second hand he will do cheap

At least it's shiny, so I've improved it's driveway ornament status...

7374523928_ed5df55180_b.jpg

RX7 Rear by gaz_roberts01, on Flickr

Man my D40 sucks, need a newer camera.