ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Porsche Cayman S Race Car

Lionel Richie
I have my license yes, i'm having nothing to do with the build of this car, haven't got the time, and Sam's old man is too stressy for me LOL! NOW NOW NOW NOW YESTERDAY SCHNELL!

Lotus Elise
So the cage is going in, next step is to drop it through the floor than the air jack tubes can go in. Aiming to be in the paint shop Thursday.

IMG_1458_zpsb136efee.gif

IMG_1456_zpscb6a067b.gif

IMG_1457_zps2fe1c2fd.gif

We are getting slightly worried because the KWs are taking longer than expected so are the wheels. Aiming to be out test in 3 weeks.

Lotus Elise
Will you dip the car again to get the e-coat, or do you not bother.. because race car?

Won't be bothering as we'd need to drill holes in the cage to let the acid drain and weld them back up. Whole car is getting a blow over in white with a more professional finish on the exterior bodywork.

I must say the welding is top notch, one of the reasons we chose SVP to do the prep work.

Lotus Elise
Yes, funnily enough.

The car gets back from paint later today with the aim of it being plumbed and wired by next week. The cage took a week longer to get in than expected but the workmanship is very high. All the suspension components have arrived apart from the KWs, the build date for them is 12th I believe.

Aim data logger and camera are sat on my desk ready to go, diff is all but ready, so is the engine.

Perreli have devlivers some tyres though :)
Caymancage028_zps4a91f5e2.gif

We popped along to the first PCGB meeting last Saturday at Donington Park, the racing was very close and as a result we can't wait to get out there!!! Especially watching the Boxsters taking the fight to the 911s, turns out after 15minutes their rear tyres go off, nicely offsetting their power advantage :D

Caymancage023_zps03364c92.gif

Caymancage006_zps6e2a4416.gif

Caymancage022_zps49edb4f4.gif

Air Jack tubes in ready for the jacks and plumbing.

Front
Caymancage012_zpsf5ae2f75.gif

Rear
Caymancage003_zps3b80802b.gif

Looking at Cayman R bumpers and Rear Spoiler to go.
Dad and I prefer the longer races that require two or more drivers. We have come to an arrangement that he will compete in the PCGB championship and I will do GT Cup which involves two sprint races and a 45 minute two driver event. Testing is all booked and the races entries have been sent in. To say we are excited in an understatement!

Sounds very exciting. What do you mean when you say the 911s rear tyres go off, offsetting their power advantage?

​Can't wait to see some footage of these races!

Lotus Elise
Sounds very exciting. What do you mean when you say the 911s rear tyres go off, offsetting their power advantage?

​Can't wait to see some footage of these races!

This is the first year PCGB have used slicks so it’s a massive learning curve for everyone. The 911s are allowed 320bhp compared to the 260 of the boxsters, as the race progresses the rears on the 911 go off (lose grip) and this allows the less powerful boxsters to start nipping at their heels.

Lotus Elise
Where will you be testing Sam? What brakes can you run on these?

We are undecided on what to race it in. The plan is to get the first two races under our belts then decided what to do with it. One Championship dictates standard calipers the others are pretty much free.

Testing at Oulton then Brands

Lotus Elise
Its finally going together!!!!!!!!

The car got back from paint on Monday night, the quality is tip top, still needs some final buffing but we'll worry about that when its running. For now though the Loom and coolant pipes are in along with all the brake lines. Data logger, camera and lap times will be in tomorrow along with the dash which is currently getting flocked.

KWs are getting shipped on Friday but still no bloody wheels!!!!

IMG_1665_zps1171241b.gif

IMG_1663_zps9f425ddd.gif

Air Jacks are in.
IMG_1659_zps989d2dd6.gif

How long will it keep looking like this?
IMG_1660_zps9dccc942.gif

The boys are working really hard and doing a great job so far, they were making up carbon sheets for blanking the holes around the bulkheads today and finishing off a fiddly little job.

​Cannot wait to get it out on track!

Cup In bits
The workmanship on this is so crap, infact why dont you sell it to me it will save you spending anymore on this ;)

Them boys don't hang about.

Lotus Elise
The workmanship on this is so crap, infact why dont you sell it to me it will save you spending anymore on this ;)

Them boys don't hang about.

LOL. Top work by the lads, can't fault it. I need stop researching squential gearboxs though......