ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The still not sure what to build build thread

So I have posted asking for ideas but time and circumstances has over taken me!
I normally race an Audi TT with 340bhp
14649765603_19b86b445b_z.jpg

but recently during an event the new hybrid turbo blew and I'm having it replaced. However I compete in the ASWMC Hillclimb & sprint rounds and had a sprint at Treloy nr Newquay. I had only bought my Clio the week before on a whim and was going to sell on but without a car I press ganged the Clio into service!
29635540124_4d60afd735_z.jpg

30265882315_a505f94988_z.jpg

few weeks later I then had to press gang it again in a Hillclimb nr St Austell. A very short hill but very tricky especially when the track is wet and greasy as it was and me used to the comfort of 4WD!

I swapped the steering wheel for a spare OMP one and I think I messed the steering angle sensor. Does that cup have that? and if it does how do I reset it? The result quite a few lock ups on the stock T1Rs!

So this build thread will or should document choices, failures, crashes and successes. I think it will be a gradual transformation from road going sprint/hillclimb car through sports libre to rally car.

So I need to put a cage in but which one?
Safety Devices, Custom Cages or OMP it has to be MSA
Diff, M Sport, Gripper or Quaife?
Wheel size 15 or 16?
Tyres will be Maxsport RB5 for now. Engine will be stock. Then suspension and braking.

Hoping for advise, ideas and a lively discussion.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Following with intereat as I'm hoping to progress to hillclimbing/sprinting next year.

I went for a safety devices cage from Mark Fish, took advantage of one of the group buys, option 4 with the extra mount points on b pillars and tunnel, can always send some photos if you like

Ads

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Ok so most of these are from when we installed the cage, hence cable ties holding various pieces in place
20160226_140201.jpg

If you look closely you can see the centre pick up point on the tunnel in what was the rear footwell
20160226_140152.jpg

Again extra pick ups on b pillars
20160226_140233.jpg

20160310_103553.jpg

And finally door x bars too
20160226_140211.jpg

As mentioned earlier this started off as a 6 point bolt in Safety Devices R017 (I think) roll cage, and has had extra b pillar brackets and a tunnel brace fitted, so now is 9 point.

These extra brackets are designed and fitted from factory and are an optional extra.

I ordered it through one of Mark Fish's group buys and I couldn't be more impressed with the service and quality of the cage, yes there cheaper cages out there but personally I rate safety devices highly so opted for this

Hopefully it's of some help

Ads

Clio 172 Merc ML55
It's definetely MSA spec, I've got a feeling it's FIA too, I'll have a look when I get home and grab a photo of the I.D. plate on the cage

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Gripper diff if it's for competition use.

I'm getting the Quaife for road and a couple of track days a year.

Had a look at the MFactory but im still unsure.

Nil presently.
So I have posted asking for ideas but time and circumstances has over taken me!
I normally race an Audi TT with 340bhp
14649765603_19b86b445b_z.jpg

but recently during an event the new hybrid turbo blew and I'm having it replaced. However I compete in the ASWMC Hillclimb & sprint rounds and had a sprint at Treloy nr Newquay. I had only bought my Clio the week before on a whim and was going to sell on but without a car I press ganged the Clio into service!
29635540124_4d60afd735_z.jpg

30265882315_a505f94988_z.jpg

few weeks later I then had to press gang it again in a Hillclimb nr St Austell. A very short hill but very tricky especially when the track is wet and greasy as it was and me used to the comfort of 4WD!

I swapped the steering wheel for a spare OMP one and I think I messed the steering angle sensor. Does that cup have that? and if it does how do I reset it? The result quite a few lock ups on the stock T1Rs!

So this build thread will or should document choices, failures, crashes and successes. I think it will be a gradual transformation from road going sprint/hillclimb car through sports libre to rally car.

So I need to put a cage in but which one?
Safety Devices, Custom Cages or OMP it has to be MSA
Diff, M Sport, Gripper or Quaife?
Wheel size 15 or 16?
Tyres will be Maxsport RB5 for now. Engine will be stock. Then suspension and braking.

Hoping for advise, ideas and a lively discussion.

Saw this advertised locally on Gumtree a few weeks back, also happened to see you coming down the A30 the other evening. You decided to keep it?

Just found this image I took at the Somerset Stages a couple of years ago! Dont see that many Clio's out rallying so seeing so many on here either done or about to be done is great.
Dont know anything about the day does anyone?
30367913712_eee6657cc1_z.jpg

url]

OK, So it's going to be a rally car! I'ts booked into ARM motorsport in Cornwall to get a full MSA cage welded in. A question to put to the experts on here is what do you do with the Alarm & the motion sensors? Do these need to be coded out? any ideas what to do with this little lot?

A bit of an update to strip this thing down and a couple of questions!
There is a black box thing by the handbrake and one by the drivers door which I assume are the lat/long abs sensors Yes/No?
The silver box/module behind the gearshift I'm assuming is the Airbag control module OK to remove Yes/No?

This is the pile of crap you get when stripping the interior
pile of clio crap.jpg

This is the start of the project properly
clio inside.jpg

clio inside 2.jpg

I will update more once the cage is in!

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Airbag module will be fine to come out, although the warningblamp and the serv lamp will be on permanently.

I assume the others you've mentioned will be to do with abs/esp. I don't have these so I can't say whether or no they can be removed unfortunately

Don't forget that the MSA approval on cages has changed recently so make sure you get a cage that has the new A pillar design
Cheers mate yes the new cage is a full custom cages one that meets the new regs and comes with the certificate for the log book.

Airbag module will be fine to come out, although the warning lamp and the serv lamp will be on permanently
Cheers just what I thought but always best to check. I have the RSturner to turn off airbag stuff as I'm running an omp wheel etc.

Can the ABS/TC be turned off in the ecu/mapped out? What do people do with ABS on track day cars on here?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I've kept my abs for now, only really noticed it trying to kick in on a very wet day at Combe, I do have plans to remove it completely and run a bias valve but I've got other priorities first

Started stripping out the sound deadening what a S**T job but glad I'm doing it. I decided to document each area.
First patch is the bit in the boot 773g
IMAG0267.jpg
Second bit
IMAG0269.jpg

Behind each seat 604g so 1.208kg
IMAG0268.jpg

The bits in each rear side section 318g for both sides
I also started the roof and that is a crap job will update with the weights as and when!

A small update. The custom cages cage has gone in along with some extra gussets and the car is now without flex!

Couldn't get to open doors to get better pics this time as a gearbox on a pallet was in the way. Flocked dash going back in this week then the plexi glass and the foamex door cards front and rear. Then Seats/Harness and extinguishers etc.
IMG_20170415_101549072.jpg

IMG_20170415_101620440.jpg
IMG_20170415_101537675.jpg

Some more bits aquired and going in the car soon. RRS 3" 6 point harnesses and RRS dished steering wheel. Carbon rear wiper blanking plate and some tow and door straps as the door cards will be fitted and require a method of grabbing.
49aea2794f8ee485cb95e4b6fed3aec1.jpg
bcfd851e8febe37ea4b70653a07b450f.jpg
84fbc77574f87e19e8059725f7633c1f.jpg
e1e6aeadf2e43c3c8f3f9024fa5557a9.jpg

330i
Also, what are the maxsport RB 5 tyres like? I had some a long time ago and they were good, but they were remolds. Is it still the case and would they be worth a punt as a trackday tyre?

172 Cup Iceberg
Following with interest.
Differential wise, I would go for a Quaife. A Gripper differential will lose pre-load over time and will need servicing.

@MarkT the RB5s are still remoulds but they are a very good tyre but i use a soft compound which would wear out far too quick on track so you would need look at the harder compounds and they are very noisey! One negative is wet weather you need to get then cut for wet weather as they move around on standing water and offer little or no traction. @m177ens I'm probably going mfactory via @puremotorsport as I'm only 30miles from Nick.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

330i
I remember they were bloody noisy at speed, but god they had some grip! My real concern was the fact they're remoulds. I'd take wets and drys on a trackday.

A small update on the rally car build in a bit but was away at the weekend at the 3 counties stage rally at Smeatharpe in Devon. Way too hot for rallying but still a great day with everything competing from a Fiesta R5+ down to a Rover 216S!. We had issues with a rad fan wired in wrong and blowing heat into the engine bay and we believe over heated some sort of seal on the new dog box causing an oil leak from gearbox onto clutch and game over!

So to my car. More progress on the side. After a seat fitting we could agree on the locations for extinguishers etc. Poly windows all in. Diff & Gearbox ordered from Nick @pure-motorsport due here at end of month fingers crossed. So just cartek kill switch, fuelsampling kit and mudguards and I think we are very close.

34581125084_13af010222_z.jpg
34613302823_853f118da9_z.jpg
35035893830_db62513c9e_z.jpg
35293193641_9642ff2647_z.jpg
35383623096_5e4d3535bf_z.jpg
35383634166_8dd213663f_z.jpg
35422835975_ce1584cd7f_z.jpg

Hi @GrahamV182 yes the TT has gone and then most of money has to gone to Nick @pure-motorsport !! (well a lot!) ordered new box and diff along with sump guard and race shifter. Once this lot is on I will focus on engine. Hoping to get car out for Portreath sprint in modified or that weird class where they put stuff nobody is sure about as it wont be fully rally by then.

It would fit nicely into modified production rather than 'sports libre' . Don't forget you need a HANS device for Mod Prod or Libre. Let me know if you want to borrow one ... I have a Schroth medium in storage.

What wheels and tyres will you have on for Portreath?

Agreed about modified but not light enough I don't think compared to a friends 205 and not powerful enough to get anywhere near Dougie Bennetts mental 600bhp sylva! Thanks for the offer of the HANS but have one for co-driving this
30606313521_14ffdd2d38_o.jpg

and this
35446521935_993ed4d16e_z.jpg

And to wheels I have these Team Dynamics but still not sure on tyres ??? need to last 100miles for TSH rally but also be soft enough for a sprint/hillclimb so may need 2 sets + wets but a spare set (ouch gets expensive).....
34636813993_bb51db1540_z.jpg